Challenge: The Midfield Minute

• Thread starter samoht gtx
  • 46 comments
Yay, Midfield's back! The wide tarmac and fast, banked turns of this track make it more fun the faster your car. So here's the challenge - can you get under one minute for Midfield Reverse?

- Pick your favourite Le Mans car (or any car other than the RedBulls or other single seaters)
- Tuning is free
- Tyres must be Racing Hard or less
- Lap Midfield REVERSE in one minute or less
- Post here your time, which car you used and its PP

This is just for fun, feel free to use whatever driving aids you prefer. Any lap time that the game recognises as valid is good.

[My sincere apologies if this is the wrong forum, I looked but didn't see anywhere to compare 'hot lap' times]

As a rotary driver, I naturally rolled my trusty orange and green 787B out of the garage, bolted on the biggest turbo I could find for 978hp and 701PP, and went out for a run. The car handles nicely, however I needed TCS:1 in order to keep it straight out of the hairpin, yielding a 59.769 lap after quite a few tries.

'Minute Masters' - The Drivers
Code:
Player..............Car..................Best Lap
Mr P................Chaparral 2J.........57.212
samoht gtx..........Mazda LM55 VGT.......57.612
nowayback...........Mazda LM55 VGT.......57.987
trustjab............Toyota 88-CV Minolta.58.088
Vitocorp............Mazda 787B Stealth...58.237
GT_Racer22..........Mazda LM55 VGT.......58.543
The Chosen One......Mazda LM55 VGT.......58.806
substructure........BMW V12 LMR..........59.136
ItsAllAboutWins.....Mazda LM55 VGT.......59.389
Zenmervolt..........Bentley Speed 8......59.545
Thomas2012..........Audi R8..............59.589
TheProRacer.........Mercedes AMG VGT.....59.661
AleksandarSRB.......Mazda LM55 VGT.......59.897

'Minute Masters' - The Cars
Code:
Car.................Player..............Best Lap
Chaparral 2J........Mr P................57.212
Mazda LM55 VGT......samoht gtx..........57.612
Toyota 88-CV Minoltatrustjab............58.088
Mazda 787B Stealth..Vitocorp............58.237
Sauber C9...........trustjab............58.540
BMW V12 LMR.........substructure........59.136
Suzuki Escudo PP....samoht gtx..........59.256
Bentley Speed 8.....Zenmervolt..........59.545
Nissan R92CP........trustjab............59.557
Audi R8.............Thomas2012..........59.589
Audi R18............samoht gtx..........59.661
Mercedes AMG VGT....TheProRacer.........59.661
Toyota 7............samoht gtx..........59.730

Times spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D-_8WbjLOFc9mEBKAyJobiVGcZo2vhTZsY3MK8Zki54/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Perhaps we should implement a pic-or-no-proof policy? :D

(I'm not doubting you!)
Darn it, I ran it in Test Drive not arcade mode... :guilty: Tomorrow I'll run a better time and post a pic 👍 :)

Yay, Midfield's back! The wide tarmac and fast, banked turns of this track make it more fun the faster your car. So here's the challenge - can you get under one minute for Midfield Reverse?

- Pick your favourite Le Mans car (or any car other than the RedBulls or other single seaters)
- Tuning is free
- Tyres must be Racing Hard or less
- Lap Midfield REVERSE in one minute or less
- Post here your time, which car you used and its PP

This is just for fun, feel free to use whatever driving aids you prefer. Any lap time that the game recognises as valid is good.

[My sincere apologies if this is the wrong forum, I looked but didn't see anywhere to compare 'hot lap' times]

As a rotary driver, I naturally rolled my trusty orange and green 787B out of the garage, bolted on the biggest turbo I could find for 939hp and 695PP, and went out for a run. The car handles nicely, however I needed TCS:1 in order to keep it straight out of the hairpin, yielding a 59.808 lap after quite a few tries.

Maybe you could make a spreadsheet to better keep track of cars/times/aids/pp

Why don't you set up a club + time trial event for this? You can add all these restrictions you've said here, if people want to, they can share their replays with us in this thread.

Note: You can't forbidden the RedBulls & singleseaters, but in the results on the club event page, you see what cars people have used, all those cars that are forbidden, stay forbidden and doesn't count.

I'm giving this a shot!

Edit: I did it in a stock Audi R8 @679PP with 783BHP No aids except ABS 1 and in Manual
image.jpg

Last edited:
I had another few laps, and got a pic of a 59.769.

Update - ducked into the 58s with a 58.753 lap

DSC_0001.JPG

People are welcome to post pics, but since this is just for fun, I don't think we need to require it.

YukinoSuzuka - thanks for the tip, I never knew you could do that. I set up a club "Midfield Minute Masters TT", with a time trial event as you suggested. It does work, and people are free to set their times there if they wish; however tbh it takes quite a lot longer to enter each time you want to run, so up to each person if they want to do that or just run in free run and save the replay.

Last edited:
In the end i found out that it's not so easy to make a clean lap under the minute, it's nice because.this challange forces me to step up my racing lines and tighten turns

I had another few laps, and got a pic of a 59.769.

Update - ducked into the 58s with a 58.753 lap

DSC_0001.JPG

People are welcome to post pics, but since this is just for fun, I don't think we need to require it.

YukinoSuzuka - thanks for the tip, I never knew you could do that. I set up a club "Midfield Minute Masters TT", with a time trial event as you suggested. It does work, and people are free to set their times there if they wish; however tbh it takes quite a lot longer to enter each time you want to run, so up to each person if they want to do that or just run in free run and save the replay.

👍 So if you have a club & event now, you can share your club id here ? ;) The id-number stays bottom left on the club main page.

Timesheet in the first post has been updated. Love the BMW V12 LMR, nice choice :-)

The Club ID, for those who want to run the event through it, is 1033940.

The Deltawing is eligible, as a 'Le Mans' car it has a token passenger seat (hence the two headrests). Can it do the minute though?

Edit: finally got the Audi R18 round in under a minute; 59.661 with full power tune and oil change. Not the fastest of cars, although it handles quite well.

Edit 2: add another car to the list of Midfield Minute Masters, the Toyota 7 made a 59.730 lap with the low rpm turbo giving 881hp. I fitted the turbo to give a broader powerband, rather than the increase in peak power, and it worked nicely. Also this is my first minute lap with no TCS at all, the only driving aid being ABS - I guess those humungous rear tyres on the '7 help put the power down. At some point I'll try it with the 1170hp full-size turbo :)

DSC_0001-001.JPG

Edit 3: For nostalgia's sake, I gave the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak a try. Since the PP is all about brute force, I used a high rpm turbo and oil change for a round 1,100hp. This car handles very differently from the others, going into lift-off oversteer almost like a good hot hatch, then pulling straight with judicious application of the 1100 horsepower. A fairly carefully chosen set of gear ratios was also useful, as there is no power below 6,500 rpm - almost like some of the old GT2-era 'hybrids'. After a few tries, I got down to 59.256. This car is a lot of fun, very drifty :D

DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited:
In the end i found out that it's not so easy to make a clean lap under the minute, it's nice because.this challange forces me to step up my racing lines and tighten turns

Yeah, it's really quite a challenge to lap under a minute - especially the two sections of high-speed curves, right at the start of the lap going over the hill and down under the tunnel, and the right-left sweepers going down the back at the end of the lap, which both demand a fairly precise line. I think the LM55 is perhaps the easiest car to get a sub-minute lap in.

I try it with Toyota GT one but i was 0.224 from target, then use Mazda 55LM an menage to do it 59.897 Both car stock with oil change, racing hard tires, max downforce. :)

I tried it earlier in the R8 LMP but the wheel oscillation was so bad that I gave up after 3 laps, I was close but the car was way to hard to handle with the wheel kicking like that.

Later I remembered that I had loaded Forza up the other day and had changed the setting on my wheel so that may be at least part of the issue. Will have to try again later and see.

Was running this on the forward track online when i left and saw this and had to have a few laps...

Chap 2J 704PP Racing Hard Tyres / no TCS no SRF / = 57.807 loads left in this car 👍

Was wondering when you'd stumble upon this thread Ron. I saw you speaking to MsQ about this track and the escudo. 👍 hopefully we run either variations this week

I ran the stock LM55 and got a 59.389 with only ABS 1 and no tuning.

Was wondering when you'd stumble upon this thread Ron. I saw you speaking to MsQ about this track and the escudo. 👍 hopefully we run either variations this week

I ran the stock LM55 and got a 59.389 with only ABS 1 and no tuning.

Yeah I'm in for most Midfield events mate I love this old track 👍 just had a dirty 56.9xx bah but down to 57.508 clean still in the 2J, will run it until i get a clean 56 and call it a day until someone comes in and smashes it to pieces :D

Tricky as hell the last turns on reverse yet poetry at the start of the forward track :banghead:

Okay, I'm gonna do an attempt today on the Midfield Minute, but like all of those Lmp1 monsters could do the job, I want to try something different ! ALso I've to try the Deltawing, but first the other car ! Won't tell you what it is before I drove it ! :sly:

Ended with a clean 57.212 in the 2J on the reverse track... I'm a tad quicker on the forward track 👍

Midfield Reverse
IMG_0743.JPG

Midfield Forward
IMG_0744.JPG

There's loads left with a decent set up... a low 56 on reverse and possibly a 55 on the forward track, just needs more time and effort 👍

Last edited:
Sorry, I probably should've been clearer in the thread title; we're running on Midfield Reverse, not the forwards layout - it looks as if your pic is of the car on the forwards layout.

Toyota GT-One 59.779 with only ABS 1 and tuning. PP 702.

image.jpg

"...I wonder what happens if we set the fan speed to 'reverse' ?"

Running into the first bend it's quite easy to miss your braking point and take off at the crest. The name 'Chaparral' does come from a type of bird, after all ;)

Back