Changes to Gran Turismo due to the FIA partnership?

• Thread starter crowhop
  • 32 comments
United States
Upstate SC, USA
GTP_crowhop
Congratulations on the new partnership with the FIA. It is an unprecedented honor to be recognized by Motorsport's single most influential sanctioning body for creating content worthy of their praise and critique.

What benefits might this pairing bring to the Gran Turismo Series as a whole? Do you envision any changes and additions to the development and content of GT6 and future GT titles resulting from this partnership with the FIA?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Now that PD has a partnership with FIA maybe they could fix career/arcade races so that they're closer to real life races. In other words, include options in all game modes to enable qualifying, standing starts, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear, balanced grids, and AI that runs at a decent pace and is aware of other cars on the track.

FIA input can give them ideas how to implement rules into the game from the basic level, so infractions can be handed out based on who was responsible. If they have an idea of the types of behaviors that lead to infractions then they can build a program to grade driving and use that in tandem with what happens to accurately judge responsibility to which driver. Have rules in racing leagues that after a certain amount of infractions in a race period you can be barred from races for a certain time. The possibilities are there to really create some special and working, help is something we all need and this is some great help...lets hope that PD really takes this information and hits the ground running building it and refining it in GT6, whilst building GT7 from the ground up to incorporate all the working and streamlined parts and adding things that GT6 just could not reproduce adequately enough. Expectations are high as FIA has posted about this on their website so PD really have a lot more eyeballs on them than ever before.

My expectations are high too. This is a great opportunity for Kaz and the team to inject some serious steroids into GT6 - and 7 of course, and make it a world class racer.

This needs a few hundred more Likes. :D

I would like to see FIA rules & regulations implemented into GT. Specifically; a flag system, real world penalties, & championship structures. I don't see how the FIA could endorse anything less. Could they really back some lame GT fantasy Seasonal event as they stand now!

👍

FIA input can give them ideas how to implement rules into the game from the basic level, so infractions can be handed out based on who was responsible. If they have an idea of the types of behaviors that lead to infractions then they can build a program to grade driving and use that in tandem with what happens to accurately judge responsibility to which driver. Have rules in racing leagues that after a certain amount of infractions in a race period you can be barred from races for a certain time. The possibilities are there to really create some special and working, help is something we all need and this is some great help...lets hope that PD really takes this information and hits the ground running building it and refining it in GT6, whilst building GT7 from the ground up to incorporate all the working and streamlined parts and adding things that GT6 just could not reproduce adequately enough. Expectations are high as FIA has posted about this on their website so PD really have a lot more eyeballs on them than ever before.
And why is it those things couldn't have been done already? The truth is, there is nothing FIA brings to the table in terms of gameplay (not content) which isn't already incorporated into other racing sims already and which isn't freely available and well known. Do we really need the FIA to introduce flags, cautions, penalties, points structures etc.? If Kaz wanted that stuff in the game he was perfectly capable of putting it in for the past 10 years, I don't see how a piece of paper that gives them some mythical "FIA Certification" on a few tracks is going to change that.

Not trying to be a debby downer on the new FIA certification and all; and I think it is great that the FIA consider GT6 to be to there standards of excellence, however if Kaz wants the tracks that are going to be added be given the FIA stamp of approval it will only take longer for the tracks to put into the games. In short words EXPECT MORE DELAYS!

And why is it those things couldn't have been done already? The truth is, there is nothing FIA brings to the table in terms of gameplay (not content) which isn't already incorporated into other racing sims already and which isn't freely available and well known. Do we really need the FIA to introduce flags, cautions, penalties, points structures etc.? If Kaz wanted that stuff in the game he was perfectly capable of putting it in for the past 10 years, I don't see how a piece of paper that gives them some mythical "FIA Certification" on a few tracks is going to change that.
They bring new ideas maybe things that Kaz and his team haven't thought of because they are in reality a small organization of people putting GT together. Now PD will have the whole of the FIA coming up with new ideas to try to bring the ONE game they now endorse to another level.

EDIT: and maybe some more cars and tracks!:D

They bring new ideas maybe things that Kaz and his team haven't thought of because they are in reality a small organization of people putting GT together. Now PD will have the whole of the FIA coming up with new ideas to try to bring the ONE game they now endorse to another level.

EDIT: and maybe some more cars and tracks!:D
So 130 people can't figure out that the premier console racing game needs things like like flags and qualifying and standing starts and AI that works and damage etc.? They need the whole of the FIA behind them to figure this out?
smiley-laughing001.gif

So 130 people can't figure out that the premier console racing game needs things like like flags and qualifying and standing starts and AI that works and damage etc.? They need the whole of the FIA behind them to figure this out?
smiley-laughing001.gif
Indeed, all they've done is go backwards in that regard. Even GT4 had a Formula GT championship that was 15 races long, with all of them having qualifying and a distance of 305km.

smiley-laughing001.gif

Plus on top of that the boss of that company goes racing himself and I'm reasonably sure a large number of their employees have a keen interest in motorsport.

They know exactly how real world racing works, they've just chosen not to adhere to it most of the last 15 years.

smiley-laughing001.gif
actually yes because 500(just a geustament) heads are better than 130.

To come up with basic ideas and concepts for a racing game? 2 heads could do that let alone 130. Like I said, not including flags/rules etc was by choice, not because nobody at PD thought of them. In fact I seem to recall flags were in an early GTHD build or something like that.

I think this means that, as far as content is concerned, there will be a few more licenced series and cars, as well as venues. But overall, there's other things that many consider to have been easily implemented without the FIA's help.

Things people have mentioned, i.e. flag system. PD had tried this but abandoned it in the final product of GT5. With input from the FIA as a governing body in regards to how the stewards view the cause and reasoning for a penalty, the flag system could possibly be included for future games, or even a future version of GT6.

Furthermore, the reason, i think that full course yellow flags aren't as far as online modes are concerned, is because of the ways that some people would try to use them to their advantage while leading near the end of the race to maintain position without risking their fuel tank going fully empty, thus being limited to 50 MPH. This may be viewed as BS, but in the grand scope of things, would you like your chances of victory going up in smoke, especially when you're closing in on the leader. Teething problems, like determining when and how the flag gets deployed, or whether it can be reduced to a local yellow will be sorted. If you spin on purpose to bring out the safety car/full course yellow while leading, would gain you a black flag, in which until all other lead lap cars pass by you would not be able to advance your car. This could only happen if you purposely stop your car and not move whilst still on the course and not outside of the lines/kerbing on the course.

The likelihood of one or two new series licences being added increases with the FIA's involvement, imo. Difference is, that while they get added, it's how they are utilized that matters. In the end, not much will matter other than the increased car count and new courses.

Original courses would gain from this as well, I think, because of added inspiration to create more.... not that it was lacking to begin with. Let's say for example, if a new version of Mid-Field were to be added with input as far as the turns 1-4 section is concerned, that's doable based on the fact that a fictitious mountain doesn't hinder that section being done. I have some ideas for how that could be done, and I'll post the possible layouts as soon as I find them. Also, some of the original courses could even be built in real life, but that's something to be discussed at another time.

I won't think too much of the FIA's involvement until I play GT6 or GT7, at which time I'll have more of a feel into how their input and advice has influenced gameplay.

You're probably right. It's not like anyone at PD has any real life racing experience or they're involved in Motorsport in any way...they just make videogames right? What do they know?
smiley-confused013.gif

You're probably right. It's not like anyone at PD has any real life racing experience or they're involved in Motorsport in any way...they just make videogames right? What do they know?
smiley-confused013.gif
The way they produced the game so far it makes me wonder if anyone in PD besides kaz has any experience in racing.

The way they produced the game so far it makes me wonder if anyone in PD besides kaz has any experience in racing.
Have you read the PitStop blog? A large number of PD employees went to the 24h or Nurburgring with Kaz to prep the car for the race etc.

Last edited:
Maybe they now implement an AI in the game ^^

After playing against the AI in Assetto Corsa I cant go back to GT. The AI is a shame there...

Have you read the PitStop blog? A large number of PD employees went to the 24h or Nurburgring with Kaz to prep the car for the race etc.
So maybe that's the problem. Instead of racing cars maybe they should be back in the office working.

It's possible that the serious stuff was on hold until things like the FIA deal were ironed out. This is evidence that Kaz has been busy talking to people that will result in things coming out of nowhere for Gran Turismo. Seriously, who would have predicted this last fall?

I would have offered a taste of more league-like racing in the launch game, but then I'm not paid to design games. And I have no idea what that kind of thing would be made redundant by later enhancements to GT6. You don't offer turkey sandwiches before Thanksgiving dinner, after all.

Rather than sniping at each other which seems to be happening as usual, I think we would be better off mulling over how we would like to see this improve Gran Turismo. So with that, I'm going to mull. :D

I want to see that GT Pro Mode, obviously, as I've been harping on it for years. Maybe now it will be called something like FIA GT, with PC sim-like racing. More cars and tracks will just be the beginning. League racing will be more properly represented, with enough cars in a league class to fill a field, so no more Rally cars next to DTM and ALMS machines. I'd prefer to see some leeway in the car lists, as many of these leagues allow a limited car roster, and there are a large number of cars that are just begging to be race modded, such as the Saleen S7, Lamborghinis and Ferraris. As I mentioned before, I'd also like to see fantasy leagues to allow the inclusion of fine high performance cars like the Cizeta and Spirra in something like an Asia GT league.

Race Mod should return, and allow us to create racing machines that suit a number of leagues, and be league appropriate too. A Honda hatchback while fine for BTCC, shouldn't be allowed to be made into a DTM machine. And as I said above, some wiggle room should be allowed to let us race mod cars similar to those in the league of our choice, properly homologated/performance matched. And a Livery Editor should be comprehensive enough to let us create any livery from history or our imaginations, along with sponsor decals, league number plaques and their decals, including our fantasy league creations.

Realistic damage just won't be possible on PS3, but some kind of visual improvement should be possible, while a more involved mechanical damage implementation might be entirely doable. Better sounds for race cars would be a nice bonus. And everyone's favorite whipping bot, the bot A.I. really does need some attention. Johnny P mentioned Grid Autosport's bot behavior, and if GT's bots were just allowed to run full tilt, not spread the field out for miles, crawl around turns or brake strangely, they would be there.

Rules? Yeah, leagues have them, and this mode should too. A difficulty adjustment might keep things like black flag penalties to a temporary speed drop or some equivalent.

And as to how this plays out, an economy could work in this mode, say to keep your car maintained, which would make prize money integral. But the focus of this pro mode should be on racing through racing series and seasons of various lengths for championships. Points are garnered with each race result, and you have to fight named bots in single player mode for the lead.

Some of this may well have to wait for GT7, but most of it should be possible now on PS3.

It's possible that the serious stuff was on hold until things like the FIA deal were ironed out. This is evidence that Kaz has been busy talking to people that will result in things coming out of nowhere for Gran Turismo. Seriously, who would have predicted this last fall?

I would have offered a taste of more league-like racing in the launch game, but then I'm not paid to design games. And I have no idea what that kind of thing would be made redundant by later enhancements to GT6. You don't offer turkey sandwiches before Thanksgiving dinner, after all.

Rather than sniping at each other which seems to be happening as usual, I think we would be better off mulling over how we would like to see this improve Gran Turismo. So with that, I'm going to mull. :D

I want to see that GT Pro Mode, obviously, as I've been harping on it for years. Maybe now it will be called something like FIA GT, with PC sim-like racing. More cars and tracks will just be the beginning. League racing will be more properly represented, with enough cars in a league class to fill a field, so no more Rally cars next to DTM and ALMS machines. I'd prefer to see some leeway in the car lists, as many of these leagues allow a limited car roster, and there are a large number of cars that are just begging to be race modded, such as the Saleen S7, Lamborghinis and Ferraris. As I mentioned before, I'd also like to see fantasy leagues to allow the inclusion of fine high performance cars like the Cizeta and Spirra in something like an Asia GT league.

Race Mod should return, and allow us to create racing machines that suit a number of leagues, and be league appropriate too. A Honda hatchback while fine for BTCC, shouldn't be allowed to be made into a DTM machine. And as I said above, some wiggle room should be allowed to let us race mod cars similar to those in the league of our choice, properly homologated/performance matched. And a Livery Editor should be comprehensive enough to let us create any livery from history or our imaginations, along with sponsor decals, league number plaques and their decals, including our fantasy league creations.

Realistic damage just won't be possible on PS3, but some kind of visual improvement should be possible, while a more involved mechanical damage implementation might be entirely doable. Better sounds for race cars would be a nice bonus. And everyone's favorite whipping bot, the bot A.I. really does need some attention. Johnny P mentioned Grid Autosport's bot behavior, and if GT's bots were just allowed to run full tilt, not spread the field out for miles, crawl around turns or brake strangely, they would be there.

Rules? Yeah, leagues have them, and this mode should too. A difficulty adjustment might keep things like black flag penalties to a temporary speed drop or some equivalent.

And as to how this plays out, an economy could work in this mode, say to keep your car maintained, which would make prize money integral. But the focus of this pro mode should be on racing through racing series and seasons of various lengths for championships. Points are garnered with each race result, and you have to fight named bots in single player mode for the lead.

Some of this may well have to wait for GT7, but most of it should be possible now on PS3.
The irony of your post, which you'll never get of course, is that you're asking for a game that bears little resemblence to any Gran Turismo game ever made. In essence, you're confirming every criticism about GT that others have made and you've been railing against for years. You want a completely different game, just like the rest of us.

Even more ironic is that pretty much everything on your wishlist is confirmed for PCars. What you really want is PCars but with the GT car selection.

I refer my friend Johnnypenso to remarks I made some moments ago. Which by the way, you apparently convoluted in your attempt to twist my meaning.
Sorry bud, no meaning twisting here, your own words betray you. In case you forgot, here is your description of PCars GTPro Mode:

Sim like racing, leagues, damage, livery editor, focus on series and seasons, Grid Autosport quality AI, Race Editor, better sounds, mechanical damage, rules, flags...you are describing PCars my friend whether you like it or not. The only difference is in the number of cars and the name on the box. :lol:

Back