Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo REVEALED!

• Thread starter ZedMan1996
  • 996 comments
Not sure if this is the coolest car in GT or the dumbest! :odd: They had me until "It features a mid-mounted laser beamed-energy propulsion system, which pulses beams of light that focus in a shroud, creating shock waves that generate tremendous thrust in the lightweight race car".. really? :lol::lol: I'll hand it to them though, this is definitly a wild looking car. Should be interesting to try it out in the game! But lasers?? :lol: Sorry haha man..

Theoretically if we can predict to some degree battery and laser capabilities, & actual laser thrust capabilities, theoretically we can pic a point in time when they all would be sufficient to produce enough thrust to propel a car. Using this theoretical math we can also calculate theoretical thrust and convert this into horse power, these figures can be then used to calculate theoretical performance figures like 0 to 60.

The Vision Project for GM is looking into the future to deliver its vision, maybe a little further ahead then most Brands but the car truly embodies the essence of VisionGT

pew-pew-pew

img_2012.jpg

[/offtop]

Ok Vision GT and everything..

..I'm not here to say it's ugly or awesome, I just wonna know why on earth they made something not controlled by a goddamn human? What's the point of this? Remote control showcase?

And why we should care about remote control when the game motto last time I checked was "the real driving simulator" so it's supposed to simulate "driving" not "remote controlling"?

..I'm not here to say it's ugly or awesome, I just wonna know why on earth they made something not controlled by a goddamn human? What's the point of this? Remote control showcase?

And why we should care about remote control when the game motto last time I checked was "the real driving simulator" so it's supposed to simulate "driving" not "remote controlling"?
Umm the machine is not remote controlled, it is driven by someone on their belly that's inside the machine controlling it.

OK, where have you got this bizarre idea that no humans are involved when every photo shows a helmet, and the video shows someone actually getting into it?

Do you deliberately ignore all the very obvious facts?

The driving position is not typical "Chevy" lol and probably a nightmare in an accident. Head First, Ouch, trade broken ankles for necks :odd:

The Concept though is awesome to say the least.
There are potential benefits. The first is a smaller, less draggy car. The second is better g load tolerance, which is why this idea was explored in aircraft, but that applies to vertical g and not lateral.

There are potential benefits. The first is a smaller, less draggy car. The second is better g load tolerance, which is why this idea was explored in aircraft, but that applies to vertical g and not lateral.

I still dont know if I like the idea of the laser pointed up my butt.

I wonder how well this car will brake. Because without a conventional powertrain, there's less inertia helping to slow the car demanding more of the brakes. This was a problem in some jet cars in the past as the brakes wouldn't last long. This is not much of a factor in the game but the braking distance could be longer. I think those moving aero parts might work as airbrakes.

Laser power or no laser power, i don't care.
they could have said: "The power is provided by mutated hamsters in each wheel that run and power the car.":dunce:

If it drives like the last subaru vision, i'm happy.

I wonder how well this car will brake. Because without a conventional powertrain, there's less inertia helping to slow the car demanding more of the brakes. This was a problem in some jet cars in the past as the brakes wouldn't last long. This is not much of a factor in the game but the braking distance could be longer. I think those moving aero parts might work as airbrakes.

That probably had something to do with not being able to cut thrust instantly the brakes have to fight the thrust as the engine ramps down, the X2 shouldnt have the same problem as thrust can be cut instantaneously.

The helmet looks incorporated into the car, and head movement may play a role in steering or data acquisition for drive by wire

hsv
If you dislike this car because you think it's not grounded in reality enough, or you think lasers sound ridiculous, then you don't get the concept or briefing in the slightest
hsv
Disliking it because it doesn't conform to what we have 2014 shows that you aren't open to the future. You aren't someone ready to ask questions. You aren't ready to move forward. So what if it's weird? Sci-Fi from 30 years ago is the norm in technology today.
That's a charmingly ignorant brush you're tarring everyone with. Particularly considering the posts already explaining issues with the car beyond "ew, technology."

hsv
As pointed out several times, laser propulsion is already something used.
It hasn't been pointed out once, because it isn't something already used. The technology as it stands now is small scale proof of concept that scientists are working on scaling up for different applications. You're also making the huge assumption that GM actually put any more thought into the random cool words they put together to describe how the car moves than Nike did when they made commissioned the 2022 (which was none, for the record).

hsv
Do you think 50 years ago, people thought a box with wheels and two giant fans sucking it to the ground was normal?
Nope. Even the later attempt to replicate the concept in F1 was pared back in complexity compared to the 2J.

Everything about the 2J is also pretty much irrelevant when it comes to this car. And this is something that has been pointed out and explained, btw.

hsv
I've just realised, we have a bunch of people moaning (quite rightly) that we haven't seen much in the way of creativity from some manufacturers, and then we get a design with some ingenuity... and they don't like it because it's too crazy? What exactly would they like from a VGT then?
Really, it's like every post you've made in this thread has some sort of ridiculous strawman. Prove the two groups of people were the same.

We get it. You like the car. You don't need to get laughably in people's face when they question the design like this:
hsv
When your own arguments have holes you can drive trucks through.

in the late 90's people thought anything that had a touchscreen would be the most ridiculous thing ever now look at what literally EVERYONE carries around in their pockets.
No they didn't. Touchscreen devices were fairly common by the turn of the millennium, and had been being mass produced to streamline user interfaces since at least the mid-1980s. The limiting factor was always display technology rather than conceptual lack of understanding with touching a screen to select things displayed. There is nothing whiz-bang-wow about being able to do the same things on your modern smartphone that business types were doing on their Palm Pilot 15 years ago; and a large menu driven interface seen in most touch screens (for example, navigation systems) is barely removed from what ATMs have used for 30 years now.

in the late 80's people thought a hybrid type car would be impossible and a waste of money to invest in, now I'm pretty sure by 2025 all cars would be hybrids.
That's another completely unrelated comparison built on revisionist history. In the 1980s battery technology was basically completely stagnant so hybrids were wholly unfeasible; and since gas was dropping like a stone and CAFE regulations were relaxed no one actually cared to invest in the technology. It was never thought to be "impossible".

And @Tornado, I understand your issue with this car, you believe that it doesn't match the reputation that Chaparral created throughout the years. May I ask one question, out of pure curiousity? :) What design would you choose for it?
Something in the spirit of the Delta Wing, where the box is basically completely turned upside down compared to contemporary vehicles.

Make the thing look like a smoothed out, more modern 2J with all of the advancements in aerodynamics since then. Make the entire car some sort of super powerful electric vehicle (one motor for each rear wheel, and one for the fan) akin to the Chevy Volt, where the engine really just provides constant charge for the batteries and the extremely streamlined shape due to not relying on conventional aerodynamics makes the car very power efficient and fast; and the use of batteries allows endless weight distribution options. If you want to get really crazy with it, introduce active aerodynamic shutters in the front that open upon braking to turn turbines that help charge the batteries in addition to conventional regenerative braking; or line the upper facing portions of the car with photovoltaic cells to get that extra boost of energy for endurance racing. And since you are using an electric motors rather than ICE engines, you get the theoretical reliability boost when running around Le Sarthe.

Practical applications of current technology in ways not thought of before to try to gain a competitive edge, which was Chaparral's actual schtick in the 1960s; as opposed to a completely hypothetical pixie dust car painted white with the Chaparral name put on it presented along with vague assertions of "the future."

Last edited:
I love this car. I have issues here and there but its supposed to be a flash forward concept. A look into a possible future. Who knows if this technology will ever be realized, it takes imagination to create new things. Is the propulsion system completely fictitious or based on actual theoretical concepts? I have to say its not pure fantasy. No there is nothing being propelled by this type of propulsion system but these systems are being tested and the theory behind it is real even though we may not be at the moment in time when the technology is feasible it is indeed possible at some point in time it very well may be.

Nobody is right or wrong here, stop acting as if everyone knows everything about the design of the car and what will happen in the future, nobody does, and nobody has driven it yet.

No point bigging yourselves up over more snazzy sounding assumptions.

Last edited:
A Roman Guard explains to his Roman Guard partner that he had a dream and in his dream he had a vision of Chariots with no horse going 250mph. His partner laughed and asked "what makes them go so fast, fairy dust?"

A Turbo AWD Rally car was once thought to be Pixie Dust

Last edited:
Nobody is right or wrong here, stop acting as if everyone knows everything about the design of the car and what will happen in the future, nobody does, and nobody has driven it yet.

No point bigging yourselves up over more snazzy sounding assumptions.
i will try to get some information squeezed out when i got to the LA car show :)

[offtopic]
I did read that a few pages ago, it is a bit of an obscure reference for those who don't don't know their movies. I myself only saw a glimpse of "Grand Prix" (the Monza bit where a big crashed happened, IIRC), so I'm not really familliar with it. It is a great cultural reference though, one that does put a smile on my face. :) A great touch to an already great car.
You should look in to getting it, for any F1 or racing fan it's a must see :D I like how the movie has a 'intermission' halfway like you have in the cinema and you actually have to switch dvd's :P
[/offtopic]

Anyway.. That gold colored 'cone' on the back does really look like that part on the Star Wars craft... I wonder if it's similar tech..

I've had a couple runs in the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo at the LA Auto Show. After its unveiling, I was able to test it out on Circuit de la Sarthe 2009. It's a really twitchy car under braking and cornering. It was also able to hit about 245mph before braking for the 1st chicane. Unfortunately, I didn't get any footage from Le Mans.

However, I had someone record my run the very next day. It was at Special Stage Route X since they began to restrict tests only on that track. I believe I topped out about 290+mph.

Yes, it's in portrait, not landscape, and the gameplay sound is very quiet. And it was taken quite far from the screen. Guess my cameraman wanted to showoff the custom Chaparral rig instead.

I've had a couple runs in the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo at the LA Auto Show. After its unveiling, I was able to test it out on Circuit de la Sarthe 2009. It's a really twitchy car under braking and cornering. It was also able to hit about 245mph before braking for the 1st chicane. Unfortunately, I didn't get any footage from Le Mans.

However, I had someone record my run the very next day. It was at Special Stage Route X since they began to restrict tests only on that track. I believe I topped out about 290+mph.

Yes, it's in portrait, not landscape, and the gameplay sound is very quiet. And it was taken quite far from the screen. Guess my cameraman wanted to showoff the custom Chaparral rig instead.

Interior View First Person View confirmed.

Edit: How does it sound like?

hsv
OK, where have you got this bizarre idea that no humans are involved when every photo shows a helmet, and the video shows someone actually getting into it?

Ok I saw the video, I've heard a guy talking about flying suite inspiration and saw a sexy blonde getting into the thing, in motorcycle position but with open arms and legs... sexual allusion anyone.
Joking aside, I have lot of question.
Helmet fixed to the car?
How the driver is supposed to turn head left and right for lateral view?
"Obvious" is the last word of the dictionary I would use, talking about this project.

What's the max size of the driver allowed in this thing?
What happen if a vehicle like this crash into a wall? Crash test anyone?
How it's controlled since there's no steering wheel?

And what about that laser rocket thing behind the sexy blonde bum? :D
Aside the obvious jokes what about overheating?

My point is fantasy and experiments are all good as long as you don't deliberately trash common sense on human cockpit for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back