• Thread starter Timppaq
  • 38 comments

Timppaq

Premium
Finland
Helsinki
GTP_Timppaq
Chase cam discussion here.

- post what you like and what you don't like in a chase cam, in detail and with video examples if possible.

---------------

Here's my tests so far (feel free to comment):

1:

2:

3: (my current favorite)

4:

Last edited:
I found a good vid for my case:

Notice Pcar's camera? It just looks like the car is standing still while the world moves around it; almost detached somehow. I'd like something a little more progressive like CM's F1 or Forza's.

Thanks for the example :)

I'm sure it's possible to adjust the view in tweakit to be very similar as in the F1 vid above. Personally I don't like that "zooming" effect (called speed sensitivity in pcars and can be adjusted), but I can try to match that vid in the evening :)

I really liked what you did with the chase cam in the past because of the movements of the car, but I didn't like the location of the camera itself. It was a bit too low. It would be nice if the camera was just high enough to see what's directly in front of the car.

This R8 video from 2:06 to 2:16 has good positioning, but afterwards, it is too high up.

The following three videos are pretty good for where the camera is located, but it would be great if you could mix these camera positions with the movement you have in the Z4 video. They're all a little different, but they all have a good height and angle relative to the car. The distance from the rear bumper is not too important, but it would dictate the height.

I'm glad this topic came up since I have to use chase cam on a regular basis.

Chase cam discussion here.

- post what you like and what you don't like in a chase cam, in detail and with video examples if possible.

---------------

Here's my tests so far (feel free to comment):

1:

2:

Having the flexibility to set the chase cam height and distance from car and view angle would be the best option. Some want to see the camera sway a bit more and there should be a setting that allows that to happen along with amount of camera shake.

For me both of these first two views I've quoted are great Chase cam views. They show just the right amount of vehicle movement relative to the camera when it hits bumps etc. I normally use cockpit cam but if I do want to use chase cam then that's how I like it.

I really liked what you did with the chase cam in the past because of the movements of the car, but I didn't like the location of the camera itself. It was a bit too low. It would be nice if the camera was just high enough to see what's directly in front of the car.

It's a bit tricky at the moment the get the screen positioning, visual vehicle dynamics and camera direction all "perfectly correct" at the moment.. sure I can manage a better job with the positioning than what is seen on the quoted video but to get it really really good we need to wait a bit and see if we can get one more adjustment variable later on..

more :P

^ couldn't get exactly like the F1 yet, but closer.. I had a few settings wrong but here's the vid anyway

I tend to prefer a loose chase cam, particularly for controlling oversteer. Live for Speed appears to base its chase cam on the vector of your car, independent of rotation, and it's a good example of a chase cam I find easy to manage with both a wheel or a gamepad. You always know what the car is up to:

With a chase cam that is more rigid yet allows a bit of sway, it can be difficult to determine when the car is actually sliding. I find it rather difficult to play Enthusia in chase cam, despite being very familiar with the game. So here's an example of what I don't like:

It's funny how some do actually prefer the enthusia style cam (not me though)! :)

The vector alignment of the cam is not possible, but I'll try something looser for drifting :D

I almost never use chase cam actually. Are you using that regularly? The one at the top on your last post is almost perfect for me btw. I like it to be a little bit closer to the car

I absolutely hate all chase cams with a passion. The reason being is that it makes any sim look unreal, & that kind of defeats the purpose of a sim in the first place. You never see that view in real life, so when we encounter it in a sim it just looks unrealistic. I guess some people like it, so there's no harm in having the option, but I can't stand it personally.

I occasionally use chase cam when I get on straights so I can appreciate The sound and the look of my car. Something rendered completely pointless in GT because of the sound and inability to pan the camera. :indiff:

If the game's chase cam is similar to Gran Turismo 5s and 6s, I'm going to skip this game completely.
Static chase cams are terrible; if gives the illusion of the track turning for you while the car is along for the ride.

Dynamic chase cam's similar to the Forza series, Midnight Club series, Grid Series, and PGR series is what I hope is in Project Cars. Not GT5/6 and the pendulum style of Shift.

Chase cam where the camera is fixed to the back of the car and there is an illusion of the track turning and the car is not.

Prefer project cars to look more like this.

Or even this(just with sim handling)

Chase cam where the camera is fixed to the back of the car and there is an illusion of the track turning and the car is not.

Prefer project cars to look more like this.

Or even this(just with sim handling)

A thread like this really highlights how important options are because I can't stand the second and third views. Very arcadey. Having said that the GT one is too rigid. The first one in the original poster's last post (if you get my drift) is perfect.

A thread like this really highlights how important options are because I can't stand the second and third views. Very arcadey. Having said that the GT one is too rigid. The first one in the original poster's last post (if you get my drift) is perfect.

Yea the third one is a little to arcadey as well for me but it was an example to highlight how I would like a loose chase camera one over the rigid one in GT. Forza is a good middle ground and the first one in the original post was pretty good.

I'm just stating my concerns because I've seen videos of PC where the camera was identical to GT5/6 and damn near had a heart attack.

@DaveTheStalker can you elaborate which video you mean? (lots of them here.. :P )

This is very much within reach with the available adjustments (in tweakit).

edit, sorry I misread you! (so this is what you don't like : )

Last edited:
Add me to the list of people who like the first video of that last post, @Timppaq. 👍 Reminds me a bit of Forza Horizon, which had the best chase cam of any Forza game so far, in my experience.

Latest Posts

Back