CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
Thought I'd share. After trying to make my own Wheelstand Pro and failing miserably I ended up with this. Main goal was to be able to fold up the entire setup and get it out of the living room. Got the idea from the IKEA version floating around on this and other forums. All told about $40 US in wood, PVC and hardware. Click pics for full size and please no comments on my stylish chair. :lol:

p1146089800x600.jpg

p1146093800x600.jpg

p1146092800x600.jpg

Here are a few better pictures. When I sit in the chair everyting is rigid.
Plays very nice.

Cost: $39
Cabinet doors $15 (5x$3) IKEA Outlet
Angle brackets $6.70 Home Depot
Screws $4 Home Depot
Caster wheels for easy removal to storage room $1 (2x$0.50) IKEA Outlet
Handles $0.50 IKEA Outlet
LED lights $5 IKEA outlet
Stickers $7 Internet
Rearview mirror (to attach my PS3 eye to later on) $0 (junk in my garage)
Extenion cable for power strip $0 (garage junk)
Car door mat $0 (garage junk)
Spray paint for accents $0 (garage junk)

IMG_9756.JPG

IMG_9763.JPG

It would be sick to kind of mod a case for a PSP and replace that rear view mirror w/ a PSP that I think you can link up to GT5 for an actual rear view mirror simulation 👍

.Hz
It would be sick to kind of mod a case for a PSP and replace that rear view mirror w/ a PSP that I think you can link up to GT5 for an actual rear view mirror simulation 👍

I thought they never actually put that in the game. I remember reading about it way back but never heard anything else.

Thought I'd share. After trying to make my own Wheelstand Pro and failing miserably I ended up with this. Main goal was to be able to fold up the entire setup and get it out of the living room. Got the idea from the IKEA version floating around on this and other forums. All told about $40 US in wood, PVC and hardware. Click pics for full size and please no comments on my stylish chair. :lol:

nice! where'd you get the chair?

That looks awesome, nice and easy – and the original is foldable. In other words, something the lady can accept. Is your version foldable? And does it fold well with the wheel attached?

Now that my wheel is with UPS heading my way I'll go shopping for materials for this tomorrow. I think I'll add a way to attach the pedals as well, any thoughts?

p1146089800x600.jpg

p1146093800x600.jpg

p1146092800x600.jpg

Here are a few better pictures. When I sit in the chair everyting is rigid.
Plays very nice.

I like your Ikea Poang chair, I just got one. My DFGT sits on my lap at the moment. I have some idea's but just not the time at the moment.

I must just say thanks to all for sharing your ideas, browsing through this thread certainly helped me!

Heres my effort at an adjustable custom stand. Hopefully it will cater for a seat attachment as well as I can adjust it lower etc. The peddle plate will be adjustable for this reason as well.

Its work in progress, need to drag myself off GT5 and get some more done!

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

Build thread is here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=164895

Here is my cockpit, it's basic but I like it.
From my view. (with my helmet on)
25a3hcg.jpg

and
29w4y0n.jpg

I keep my DFGT on my lap, not ideal I know but it does its job.

My setup didn't really come out cheap in the end cause I didn't have any wood or hardware. I at least had all the tools used.

5189177703_7c8785f03e_z.jpg

-G

Simplygriff... like that setup? 👍 Did it come out as rigid/stable as you wanted ? What's the final weight ? type of wood you used? and Home Depot price ? you've got me inspired !!!! Thanks for sharing the image...

Might as well post my own cockpit. Fully adjustable, foldable wheel stand - keeping both me and my girlfriend happy:

img6247z.jpg

More pics and info in the build thread.

The pedal stand is not done yet, but it works for now. Just have to figure out a great way to do it first...

Sorry for the crappy photo:

img0033.jpg

img0034.jpg

img0035.jpg

img0036.jpg

My cockpit consists on a PELLO chair from Ikea (25€), a FROSTA stool, from Ikea also (6,50€), an EKBY TRYGGVE shelf guess from where... Yeah, Ikea (3,50€) and various screws. I used two of the foot of the stool to support the shelf where the wheel and shifter go and the other pair to rise the pedals (the driving position is so low, approximately 20cm from the ground, so rising the pedals is a must).

Total cost: 35€ (Approximately 45$)

Here's mine, I just used a sawhorse I had in my garage and just chopped 2 inches off the 2 front legs to give it a more comfortable position, it has a very natural driving position and the wheel is hard mounted so everything is super stable, the best thing about not having a full on cockpit is i get to sit in a nice comfy lounge while I race, the worst is I have a sawhorse in my loungeroom.

H
img0470tp.jpg

Shot at 2011-01-30
img0469ny.jpg

Shot at 2011-01-30

Finally, I've finished my cockpit.

Here you can find more photos of it.
The total cost of it is around 50$, it is true I've already had the gym-pad what is the base of the hall thing.
picture.php

/\ Looks great and looks AMAZING for only having 50 in it.

HSRL is a league developed for those GT5 racers using H pattern shifters. . . check it out in the Groups Section if you are interested in a fun, professional style racing. One in which all racers are required to use clutch and shifter.

Might as well post my own cockpit. Fully adjustable, foldable wheel stand - keeping both me and my girlfriend happy

I'm not going to ask. What you and your girlfriend do in the privacy of your own home is no one else's business. ;)

Good job 👍

Thanks, I'm really satisfied with my setup. The next thing will be to add velcro and height adjustment to the pedal plate. Getting the velcro tomorrow, but to do the pedal plate as I'd like I need another Ikea part - and that is at my parents house, some 800-900 kilometres away. Come easter, perhaps...

I'm not going to ask. What you and your girlfriend do in the privacy of your own home is no one else's business. ;)

Haha, good one. One thing we haven't done yet, I'll tell you, is to add a proper racing seat. I'm located in the sofa right now, 2-3 meters away from the telly. I need to get closer, by my GF keeps saying the seat will have to wait until we get everything we need for the baby coming in june.

Have you ever heard...?

Back