CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
jlmphoto
I got a DFGT for Christmas and decided to build a decent cockpit for it. The cost to build it (minus the seat and wheel) was about $15. I had a scrap piece of plywood for the decking and some scrap carpeting for the runners on bottom. I'm sure if you had to buy ALL the wood it would cost about $25. You can usually go to a carpet store and pick up scrap for little-to-nothing. It took about a day to build because I had to eyeball the measurements since it was all custom. It is heavy but the carpet allows it to move easily on our hardwood floor. The footprint is 2ftx4ft.

Great idea with the carpet, real good looking

65$

I pulled a leather seat from a 3000 gt @ a junk yard 45$
then brought the cheapest wood at home depot ~20 $

ive changed it up along the way

281771_10150247287386741_617676740_7939671_6964904_n.jpg

228821_10150247286841741_617676740_7939663_8377834_n.jpg

282399_10150247287991741_617676740_7939685_8235894_n.jpg

307467_10150300718756741_617676740_8351115_2120736333_n.jpg

end result - i ditched the armrest on the right and moved the shifter since i never use it.

294532_10150327896351741_617676740_8510768_1421933266_n.jpg

Hey Guys ,I currently Finished my exams and although I had my G25 for a Year I still don't have any sort of a Cockpit Assembly but Now My back really need one :D .

I don't have alot to spend 70-80$ Range ,I need it it to look clean ,doesn't take alot of Space (Foldable works)and Cheap Any Suggestions ?

bermudakid
65$

I pulled a leather seat from a 3000 gt @ a junk yard 45$
then brought the cheapest wood at home depot ~20 $

ive changed it up along the way

end result - i ditched the armrest on the right and moved the shifter since i never use it.

Great Job!!! Looks very nice and completely functional.

Hey! I just thought I would post my contribution to this thread.

I received a shiny new Logitech G27 for my birthday this month much thanks to the Missus, and decided I wanted somewhere permanent to mount it so, I built this over the weekend.

The seat was purchased on ebay for £22.00 including postage and the cockpit was made from a couple of bits of furniture that would have been going to the recycling centre.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

When I get a bit more time I will be painting it and also building a console for the gear stick and arm rest.

After spending a few hours looking into the various DIY wheel stand and cockpit... I decided to save some money and buy something made for a purpose.. while that it don't happen I will stick with my Tablemate II ($29.99) modified for a Fanatec CSR , it is fully adjustable (height and table angle) and the only thing you need to do is to add a piece of plywood in the base to secure the pedals and voilé. I dont know how to post the pictures here...

Hi,
this is my first post here
been a lurker for sometime now

just recently bought a DFGT to complement my passion for racing

my initial draft

dfgt.png

dfgt2.png

I havent got any of the material yet
but planning to do so this saturday (it is now friday morning 10am where I'm from, can you guess where i am from?)

this design was to complement a Poang chair ( i have seen some done directly to the chair but i rather not hook anything up to it)

The attached rar file have the skp (sketchup) with the actual measurement
most planks are 2"x1" (with some wider) with the length in metric (mm)
It is also design to be folded flat for storage (limited house spacing) with the use of springs to prop them up.

any comments for a newbie?

Attachments

• dfgt2.rar
    240.7 KB · Views: 33
Looks good except for one thing. It will probably wobble left to right. But there is a simple fix. If you have 2 extra lengths of zone, make an X to/from the legs holding the wheel mount. You will have to do a halving joint so you will need a chisel aswell. Its hard to explain but If you don't get what I'm saying, just shoot me a pm because I'm not always looking in here, and ill draw up a sketch for you.

Looks good except for one thing. It will probably wobble left to right. But there is a simple fix. If you have 2 extra lengths of zone, make an X to/from the legs holding the wheel mount. You will have to do a halving joint so you will need a chisel aswell. Its hard to explain but If you don't get what I'm saying, just shoot me a pm because I'm not always looking in here, and ill draw up a sketch for you.

thanks for the comment
did you mean this..

dfgt5.png

dfgt6.png

or this..

dfgt3.png

dfgt4.png

Thanks for the comment

did you mean this..

dfgt3.png

dfgt4.png

or

dfgt5.png

dfgt6.png

or

dfgt7.png

dfgt8.png

After having my driving force GT for a year I finally decided to get off my butt and make a stand. I've been scouring this thread for a while now and there is so many great ideas. I basically have no skills in building stuff but I think I did alright. The scope was it had to be as cheap as possible, stable, relatively small in size so it will fit in the lounge room, foldable to keep it out of the way for the wife and easy to make because I'm hopeless. I won't take credit for this design as I've pretty much ripped it off other peoples designs but this is my attempt for anyone else that may be interested.

It cost about $40 in materials as I already had the plywood spare. Apart from the wood, it is just second hand fence pipe & fittings which I polished up (and then put my greasy hands all over in the photos), a few brackets, nuts and bolts, and a cup holder from a poker table. It cost me another $15 in paint as I thought the plain wood looked a bit home job. I did paint the whole thing black but I thought that looked a bit bland so I put the racing stripes on it with a can of white.

There is still a very small amount of back and forth movement in the stand but not enough to really notice when you are actually playing the game. It feels pretty solid when playing. Much, much better than the piece of crap ironing board I was using before so I'm very happy with it.

Lots of dead links :(. I need to build a cheap stand for my Fanatec GT3rs & CSP to be used with my recliner. Not laid back of course :P

almost done with my racing cockpit!

took simul8r's PVC diagrams and modified it a little bit and using steel pipes instead of PVC

IMG_1864.jpg

now i just gotta get some MDF cut and source for a cheap bucket seat

cost me less than $100 for it because i got the steel pipes and clamps for free :P
and cause i saved up on materials, i'm gonna spend it on a decent bucket seat instead of a normal seat

thanks a lot simul8r!

UliEj.jpg

My configuration since 2004. Haven't spent an euro on anything except the wheel and pedals.

Now I'm kinda grown out of this. I'm looking for a stable, 65cm high platform for the wheel. I've already got an armchair from early 90's (an armrest can be seen on right end of the picture). It resembles a car seat well enough, I think.

-ArChAng3L-
almost done with my racing cockpit!

took simul8r's PVC diagrams and modified it a little bit and using steel pipes instead of PVC

now i just gotta get some MDF cut and source for a cheap bucket seat

cost me less than $100 for it because i got the steel pipes and clamps for free :P
and cause i saved up on materials, i'm gonna spend it on a decent bucket seat instead of a normal seat

thanks a lot simul8r!

Excellent! These are my favorite style of home brew rigs.

Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, junkyard, and or racing classifieds to resource a seat of sorts.

As well adding the wood will start triangulating the rig. Basically ties it together for added stability. But not looking like the steel rig has much worry about this though. More so reserved for the PVC version.

Even a monitor could be added to this material choice.

My current setup with iRacing
0bbc0050.jpg

My original GT5 setup
1da9f27e.jpg

The desk was $20 at Fred Meyer and the new chair was $80 at Costco, the rest I already had, and the DFGT (stock) I got for christmas a year and a half ago (I'm looking for a T500 and TH8 ).
Hopefully the pics aren't too blurry, I'm using my iPod.

Last edited:
this is an awesome forum guys...just found it. still trying to figure out a DIY method but 95 pages of inspiration!my G27 needs some love!, considering buying an old broken motor chair off of craigslist and building bracket up from my mechanic's shop, but i don't have the tools to hone and clean it up in the future. it would be sitting in his shop for months until i actually get around to finishing! But then again the cost effectiveness of a clean cut foldable one for $350 is enticing too..must resist OTS purchase!

Back