Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Vs. Nissan Skyline R34 GTR

  • Thread starter Thread starter FAOLIU05
  • 137 comments
  • 19,325 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
FAOLIU05
Not with that looming $90,000 price tag. I've yet seen any proof that is doesn't cost $90,000. But as far as I know, the 1999 Skyline R34 GTR costs $90,000.

If you're going to go quoting prices then it'll always fall into your favour because of the cost of getting a Skyline legalised in the USA.

[edit]http://www.monkys.jp/e/ucar/r3403.htm

And according to http://www.xe.com/

$5,000,000yen = $46,076.02 USD
 
Considering the response I got in the "skylines" thread, it seemed this wasn't a clarified fact and was still very debateable, as Famine and various other members lead me to believe. I wanted some clarification.

It seemed nobody wanted to out right say that Skyline's don't stand a chance, but rather argue about stupid little things. I obviously knew the outcome, but want to pursue the ignorance some people have about the subject and provoke a good old fashion debate - not an argument or flame war, as this turned into - some what...
 
rollazn
EDIT:

Australia Dollars = 75,000.00 AUD
United States Dollars = 58,333.16 USD

1 AUD = 0.777775 USD 1 USD = 1.28572 AUD


I wish they thought of that when making our prices up, we pay pretty much double the price you guys pay for cars.

For example a new Viper GTS cost us $289,000
 
FAOLIU05
Considering the response I got in the "skylines" thread, it seemed this wasn't a clarified fact and was still very debateable, as Famine and various other members lead me to believe. I wanted some clarification.

It seemed nobody wanted to out right say that Skyline's don't stand a chance, but rather argue about stupid little things. I obviously knew the outcome, but want to pursue the ignorance some people have about the subject and provoke a good old fashion debate - not an argument or flame war, as this turned into - some what...


So when you're challenged about the legitimacy of the facts that you like to prance around about you get all huffy and call us ignorant?

:rolleyes:
 
FAOLIU05
.....BTW that STi weighs 308lbs less than the average STi, meaning it's like an all-wheel-drive Miata with a turbo. But hey, thats cool that you found it. Those STi's are truly something to go crazy about.
I see, we're going back and editing now.....

Well, that STi still weighs in at 3,000lbs. Your Miata, for reference, weighs in at 2,400lbs. You're still 600lbs off from making sense. And, the only reason I brought the STi up was to show you that it isn't JUST supercars that can hit sub-8 times at the 'Ring. Even nimble, well set-up, 4-cyl cars can break the 8 at the 'Ring.

Hilg
 
FAOLIU05
Considering the response I got in the "skylines" thread, it seemed this wasn't a clarified fact and was still very debateable, as Famine and various other members lead me to believe. I wanted some clarification.

It seemed nobody wanted to out right say that Skyline's don't stand a chance, but rather argue about stupid little things. I obviously knew the outcome, but want to pursue the ignorance some people have about the subject and provoke a good old fashion debate - not an argument or flame war, as this turned into - some what...

HAVE YOU NOT READ ANY OF MY POSTS?!
 
VIPERGTSR01
I wish they thought of that when making our prices up, we pay pretty much double the price you guys pay for cars.

For example a new Viper GTS cost us $289,000

So then we can establish that a Skyline costs around $40k-$50k? Either way its still very comparable by price to a Z06.
 
But if you knew the outcome, and it appears that everybody here does as well, then why is there a debate? It certainly isn't one, it's more of an attack defense type thread, with two parties (X vs. The World). Yeah, I can be attributed to that in some ways, but I also brought up the subject of the Elise, which received very little proper debating and a lot of arguing over stupid little things.

Beyond the paper, driving off the highway, past the tracks, there is very little that I would rather be doing than driving a quick, small car down a fun B-road. You can go to the drag strip and drive in straight lines, if that's what you're into. Maybe I'll bump into you at the pub later that evening...
 
JNasty4G63
I see, we're going back and editing now.....

Well, that STi still weighs in at 3,000lbs. Your Miata, for reference, weighs in at 2,400lbs. You're still 600lbs off from making sense. And, the only reason I brought the STi up was to show you that it isn't JUST supercars that can hit sub-8 times at the 'Ring. Even nimble, well set-up, 4-cyl cars can break the 8 at the 'Ring.

Hilg

And the Honda NSX-R can do it under 8 - 7"56'xxx.

As quick as a Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette Z06, and Ferrari 360 Stradle (spelling) which all three was quoted to run in the 7 minutes 56 second range.

Done with a 2800lbs NSX with the same 280hp V6. Well done Honda.
 
FAOLIU05
Not with that looming $90,000 price tag. I've yet seen any proof that is doesn't cost $90,000. But as far as I know, the 1999 Skyline R34 GTR costs $90,000.
I took a look at several Japanese websites. Base Skyline GT-R was around 5,000,000 Yen(4,990,000 - 5,050,000). It's just over $46,000, U.S.

If my memory serves, I think regular Corvette was around $45,000?

Edit:
VIPERGTSR01
In Australia a really good condition R34 GTR costs around $70000AUS, considering the Chrysler 300C goes for $75000AUS.

So in Australia its cheaper to buy a R34 GTR than a 300C.
What the hell am I doing here? :guilty:

Another Edit:
Taurine
If you're going to go quoting prices then it'll always fall into your favour because of the cost of getting a Skyline legalised in the USA.

[edit]http://www.monkys.jp/e/ucar/r3403.htm

And according to http://www.xe.com/

$5,000,000yen = $46,076.02 USD
My bad! I didn't know you had done the math already. Sorry, Taurine. :indiff:
 
FAOLIU05
So then we can establish that a Skyline costs around $40k-$50k? Either way its still very comparable by price to a Z06.

OH GOD!!! :dunce:

We all know that the Z06 IS FASTER THAN A SKYLINE GTR PERFORMANCE WISE!!!
 
eliseracer
But if you knew the outcome, and it appears that everybody here does as well, then why is there a debate? It certainly isn't one, it's more of an attack defense type thread, with two parties (X vs. The World). Yeah, I can be attributed to that in some ways, but I also brought up the subject of the Elise, which received very little proper debating and a lot of arguing over stupid little things.

Beyond the paper, driving off the highway, past the tracks, there is very little that I would rather be doing than driving a quick, small car down a fun B-road. You can go to the drag strip and drive in straight lines, if that's what you're into. Maybe I'll bump into you at the pub later that evening...

It wasn't apparent because some people kept arguing. It was until now somebody finally said something. (And now I guess we're all going to bash my price listing for a Skyline because we have nothing better to do? There were so many posts in a row before somebody said something no concerning the price. Hmm...)

What leads you to believe that I'm only interested in driving in straights?
 
FAOLIU05
It wasn't apparent because some people kept arguing. It was until now somebody finally said something. (And now I guess we're all going to bash my price listing for a Skyline because we have nothing better to do? There were so many posts in a row before somebody said something no concerning the price. Hmm...)

What leads you to believe that I'm only interested in driving in straights?

BULL! From post number 21 - I openly admitted that the Z06 is faster than the GTR.

The price is not correct - the 1/4 is a little off as well, but I stated that before.
 
rollazn
And the Honda NSX-R can do it under 8 - 7"56'xxx.

As quick as a Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette Z06, and Ferrari 360 Stradle (spelling) which all three was quoted to run in the 7 minutes 56 second range.

Done with a 2800lbs NSX with the same 280hp V6. Well done Honda.
Well done indeed. I've seen a video where a whole bunch of supercars got together (Lamborghini Mercielago and Gallardo, Ferrari 360, Porsche Carrera GT and some other cars) to run at some track. An old man took the wheel behind a the NSX-R and raped everyone. They caught up to him on the straights, but he flew through the corners and left them all in the dust. They are very incredible machines, and I'm afraid they're faster than the Z06.
 
rollazn
And the Honda NSX-R can do it under 8 - 7"56'xxx......Done with a 2800lbs NSX with the same 280hp V6. Well done Honda.
Exactly. Many cars are capable. But, to him apparently, only "supercars" can do it. :dunce: :crazy:

Hilg
 
rollazn
BULL! From post number 21 - I openly admitted that the Z06 is faster than the GTR.

The price is not correct - the 1/4 is a little off as well, but I stated that before.

Quite a lot has happened before your post.
 
JNasty4G63
Exactly. Many cars are capable. But, to him apparently, only "supercars" can do it. :dunce: :crazy:

Hilg
Why don't you quote me on that.
 
FAOLIU05
It wasn't apparent because some people kept arguing. It was until now somebody finally said something. (And now I guess we're all going to bash my price listing for a Skyline because we have nothing better to do? There were so many posts in a row before somebody said something no concerning the price. Hmm...)

What leads you to believe that I'm only interested in driving in straights?

That your only arguments seem to have been comparing the straight line speeds and times (top speed, 0-60, 0-100), and to be honest, click at your first post. How much of it is praising the Corvette's straight line speed?!?! And putting a 5.7L into an Elise is absurb and pointless anywhere other than a straight line. Like the Viper and other muscle car, they are only impressive in that domain. I'd rather be in Peugeot 206 on a turny road than a 500hp anything.

You're right. This is elementary discussion. It all comes down to what you want to do with a car, and which car you like better. This is rediculous.
 
FAOLIU05
So then we can establish that a Skyline costs around $40k-$50k? Either way its still very comparable by price to a Z06.
Whoa. I thought you said that Z06 is closer to $65.000! That's almost $20,000 higher than the base GT-R. IMO, pricewise, stock GT-R is comparable to stock Corvette.
 
FAOLIU05
It was until now somebody finally said something. (And now I guess we're all going to bash my price listing for a Skyline because we have nothing better to do? There were so many posts in a row before somebody said something no concerning the price. Hmm...)
Well, maybe you should go back and read post #5, my first UNEDITED post in this thread. You didn't read like half of whats in here, then you say no one is making any sense. READ!!!

Hilg
 
a6m5
Whoa. I thought you said that Z06 is closer to $65.000! That's almost $20,000 higher than the base GT-R. IMO, pricewise, stock GT-R is comparable to stock Corvette.
Yeah, the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 costs $65,800 - but it has yet to hit the market, so it doesn't count in the comparison smart guy. :rolleyes:
 
FAOLIU05
Why don't you quote me on that.
Hard to with all the editing you're doing. 👎

You say one thing, someone tells you something else, you edit and cover tracks. Thats easy, I could go back and change everything I do to make it sound like I love Chevy just as easy. But, I stand by what I say, and don't need edits for cover.

Hilg
 
This thread is some good reading.
I do think you have some good arguments FAOLIU05 but you do need to get most of your facts straight before you some here saying the Corvette Z06 is the better car. Most of the performance stats you provided were biased in favour of the Z06 anyway. The debate about price has been resolved too.
I don't really believe that this is that great a debate due to the fact the two cars aren't really comparable. An American track biased RWD V8 sports car vs a Japanese flat 6 AWD GT car. I'm pretty sure that the sort of people who would buy a Corvette wouldn't give two sh**s about a "import" and vice versa.
BTW personal preference would be the GTR seeing as it would be an easier car to live with each day.
 
FAOLIU05
Well done indeed. I've seen a video where a whole bunch of supercars got together (Lamborghini Mercielago and Gallardo, Ferrari 360, Porsche Carrera GT and some other cars) to run at some track. An old man took the wheel behind a the NSX-R and raped everyone. They caught up to him on the straights, but he flew through the corners and left them all in the dust. They are very incredible machines, and I'm afraid they're faster than the Z06.

Hell no. From the Best MOTORing video (which I am a huge fan of) - the old guy(Gan-San) pushed the NSX-R harder than any other of the exotic cars out there. Main reason was because all the exotics (excluding the NSX-R) were borrowed. They have to return it - and breaking it down or crashing it - is not an option therefore they had to drive carefully.

The Old guy was the same person that drove the NSX-R at the 'ring. Hitting the limiter and just going all out. Crazy Kurosawa (his name).

They are really fast - but no where clsoe to the Z06. In straights the Corvette owns. In corners - they are about the same. On a tight track - NSX-R has an advantage - but overall the Corvette owns with being cheaper and faster (excluding tight corners)

I'm glad to see you actually saying a car is faster than the Corvette - but I disagree.
 
eliseracer
That your only arguments seem to have been comparing the straight line speeds and times (top speed, 0-60, 0-100), and to be honest, click at your first post. How much of it is praising the Corvette's straight line speed?!?! And putting a 5.7L into an Elise is absurb and pointless anywhere other than a straight line. Like the Viper and other muscle car, they are only impressive in that domain. I'd rather be in Peugeot 206 on a turny road than a 500hp anything.

You're right. This is elementary discussion. It all comes down to what you want to do with a car, and which car you like better. This is rediculous.
God... Yes, it is getting elementry, which is why I didn't want to argue Z06 vs. The World. I already told you guys what would happen.

I also posted numbers American sportscars and their times at Nurburgring. Are Nurburgring times not enough to show that a car can handle? And considering that America's automotive past time mostly revolves around drag racing, most American cars are straight line dragsters. But I've posted numerous times.

And putting a 5.7L V8 into an Elise is pointless. It would alter power and weight. It would handle like crap.
 
FAOLIU05
Yeah, the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 costs $65,800 - but it has yet to hit the market, so it doesn't count in the comparison smart guy. :rolleyes:
Alright. Hey, I'm not trying to be a smarta**. I apologize, if I came across as one. :) I'm just saying it would be bit more fair to compare stock corvette's numbers against stock R34's, because their MSRP should be about the same. Maybe Corvette's numbers will still be superior to the R34's, I don't even know to be honest.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Z06. I'm sure it's an awesome car. 👍
 
I love the flaming threads where everyone appologizes and ends up loving eachother at the end :)
 
rollazn
Hell no. From the Best MOTORing video (which I am a huge fan of) - the old guy(Gan-San) pushed the NSX-R harder than any other of the exotic cars out there. Main reason was because all the exotics (excluding the NSX-R) were borrowed. They have to return it - and breaking it down or crashing it - is not an option therefore they had to drive carefully.

The Old guy was the same person that drove the NSX-R at the 'ring. Hitting the limiter and just going all out. Crazy Kurosawa (his name).

They are really fast - but no where clsoe to the Z06. In straights the Corvette owns. In corners - they are about the same. On a tight track - NSX-R has an advantage - but overall the Corvette owns with being cheaper and faster (excluding tight corners)

I'm glad to see you actually saying a car is faster than the Corvette - but I disagree.
Hah, well perhaps thats why Gan-San won. Didn't know that people would let other people barrow $250,000 cars to race at high speeds.

Though I'm sort of a Corvette activist, I can admitt when a car is faster. I'm not ignorant. I'm a car enthusiast.
 
There was no Carrera GT in that drive either. It would wipe the track with anything short of racing cars if there were.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back