Choosing your Destiny: WANT TO -VS- HAVE TO.

How more deeply into this can we go when it comes - as the title suggests ('Choosing our Destiny') - and combining that concept with the concept of 'Willpower?'
When does raw willpower (like stopping drinking, smoking, or compulsive sex) shape our destinies - and when does the 'have to' become a 'want to' towards the choice of a better destiny?
In the case of smokers and drinkers (I'm talking about those who have embraced those wants in the most abusive way,) eventually their destinies are linked up with such activities - for after all it is our bedfellows that shape our destinies to a great extent - and drunkards eventually end up with alcoholics, smokers tend to experiment with other narcotics, and the money spent on these activities also affect their lifestyles and therefore their fates; relationship and health disasters are par for the course.
So choices based on 'want to's and 'have to's can be critical to our present as well as our future.
You may want to fight for a cause but you may have to blow yourself up (whether you like to or not) to satisfy that want - the satisfaction being somewhat post-humous though.
Unless you are one of the brainwashers that brainwashed someone to think like that in the first place; that way you get someone else to have to do what you want to do - and so keep your destiny alive.
Because you have to stay alive - remain conscious - to want what ever you want to want anyway.

In TB's case - he doesn't have a choice. Not even in the remotest sense can I imagine anyone embracing such a situation and not wanting an alternative to what he must have to undergo. What matters, though, is dealing with the situation in the best possible way - and we've seen many posts on how he deals with what what he has to deal with - with compassion and perseverance.

But such life-events are forced upon us - what about those that aren't?
This then inspires the first thought one has in the morning upon waking up: What are you conscious of?
Is it something you want to be conscious of or something you have to be conscious of?

A cold? An unpaid bill? A car that broke down? The morning of your volunteer service at the soup kitchen?
Just the want to be alive, and being conscious (once again because you have to) that you are?

:cheers:
H

Thank you for the kind words, @photonrider. :)
In TB's case - he doesn't have a choice.
You're right, I don't. If my wife and I don't do things properly, my son, at best, gets very, very sick. That will never be an acceptable option.
Not even in the remotest sense can I imagine anyone embracing such a situation and not wanting an alternative to what he must have to undergo.
After the overwhelming reality of having to deal with the unexpected became "normal" and we had time to actually think, there are countless other health issues that I consider much more difficult. Things like Downs syndrome, for one, are nigh unfathomable to me.
we've seen many posts on how he deals with what what he has to deal with
Like everyone, it becomes another part of your day, just like showering and brushing your teeth.
with compassion and perseverance
Don't paint me as a saint. I can assure you I'm not. :lol:

Latest Posts

Back