Circuit de Sainte-Croix is Fantastic!

• Thread starter KinLM
  • 200 comments

Do you think this new circuit is one of PD’s best?

• Yes, it’s at the top

• No, it’s horrible

• I’m somewhere in the middle; not terrible but not too good

Results are only viewable after voting.
I haven't had a chance to actually do a race here but I did run all three layouts earlier in the week and spent considerable time on Layout C to get a good lap.

Generally, I have no issues with fantasy tracks. In fact, they can be a blast if they're done right. Sainte-Croix, however, has a sense of being incomplete and designed in sections by different people. The main straight is unmemorable and most of everything from there up to the bridge is boring to look at and unrewarding to drive. Personally, I would keep the B section to the bridge with a few small tweaks and blow up everything else.

A lot of the track past the bridge fares better. The last section of C should had been the overall motif of the track as a whole; driving through various small villages. Someone already mentioned it here but if they were trying to have both public roads and racetrack only sections, they fell short in making that convincing enough in the design. The track itself has some nice sections although a bit too wide.

I personally think that this may be one of, if not the, best tracks that PD has ever created.

I especially like the differences in surface type depending on what section of the track you’re on. This track resembles Le Mans in how it’s mixed public roads and actual racetrack.
This difference can be felt and seen visually. The racetrack sections are smooth, wide, and feel like something from a Grand Prix track, while the public road sections are bumpy, slightly narrower, quick and flowing, and feel completely different stylistically.

This was something that was missing from GT6 (including Sierra) so it’s nice to see how far they’ve come in that aspect.

I also love the overall layout of each circuit. There’s long straights for powerful cars, tight turns for the lightweight killers, and high speed sections for vehicles with downforce. It’s a nightmare to set a car up for, but a blast no matter what you’re driving.

I also like the little touches, such as the designs on the distance boards before corners.

The lighting at certain times of day also feels amazing too. The time of day which sees the sun first start to creep up over the countryside looks like something straight out of a movie. The landscape looks dynamic and flowing, and there are plenty of trees which give it a “Monza” feel in a way.

I’m sure some will disagree. People always have different opinions. But this is probably the FIRST original track in GTS that I will truly miss if it isn’t carried over to future versions.

Im not sure which layout it is but the variant in Campaign mode with the Mercedes W08 seems like it was made on an Etch-A-Sketch. It seems mostly right angle turns connected by straights.

"for this second rate junk."

How pathetic it is to believe that you are the owner of the truth,
Hint: the Emperor has no clothes on ;-)

if people like it is because of something, because it has quality.

How difficult is it to understand that if you do not like it, it's simply your opinion? You have a problem friend, if you do not like the game go to play those things "first category". What a nasty comment

And so your comments prove my point, PD can do no wrong ;-)

And for the record and at the risk of repeating myself, where are the tracks we have already paid for in previous games? e.g Spa. When PD has put back in the game all the missing tracks from GT6 and added some of the classic real world tracks e.g Hockenheim, COTA, Brno etc, etc then IMHO they put as many cartoon tracks in the game as they like to keep people like you happy. But for those people that really want a Sim as opposed to an arcade game we want real world tracks. Don't even get me started on Vission cars!

;-)

At least suggest good tracks.
He didn’t specify which version of Hockenheim. Old Hockenheim is very unique and makes for really fun online racing.

New Hockenheim is nothing special to look at, but it’s layout actually tends to produce really good wheel to wheel racing.

Brno is beyond amazing. The flowiest of the flowy, and allows for amazing racing as many of the sweepers have multiple lines.

How do you know he didn’t mean classic Brno? That would put St Croix to absolute shame in a heartbeat!!

COTA is not fantastic, I’ll give you that one. It’s alright, but there’s other circuits I’d rather see before it.

Simply a great track according to me. Wide enough, corner after corner,keeps on your toes. After first week of racing,must say it rivals Maggiore for me.

Alsace though is absymal :P

Would like to have more custom tracks in future but SPA has to come next.

My ranking:
1. Layout B: Challenging and quite interesting regarding the layout. Nice flow when you drive it.
2. Layout C: Worse than B, has some boring sections but also exciting sections. Visual differences are obvious, some ugly card board trees in some sections.
3. Layout A: Boring. Don't like it. There is no flow.

I didn't try the reverse layouts so far. Also my impressions are based on two laps on every track.

Verdict in the poll: "I’m somewhere in the middle; not terrible but not too good"

I like more Dragon Trail and Lago Maggiore.

He didn’t specify which version of Hockenheim.

As many versions as we can get or all of them. Kudos to SMS they did do a fairly good job of old Hockenheim in PCARS 2

Old Hockenheim is very unique and makes for really fun online racing.

New Hockenheim is nothing special to look at, but it’s layout actually tends to produce really good wheel to wheel racing.

Couldn't agree more :-)

Brno is beyond amazing. The flowiest of the flowy, and allows for amazing racing as many of the sweepers have multiple lines.

How do you know he didn’t mean classic Brno? That would put St Croix to absolute shame in a heartbeat!!

Again, as many as I can have and preferably laser scanned. Yes, yes, I know we can't scan old tracks that don't exist anymore ;-)

Dare I say, the Moto GP from Brno on the weekend was amazing.

COTA is not fantastic, I’ll give you that one. It’s alright, but there’s other circuits I’d rather see before it.

Agreed but I included it to keep our "Amerikan cuzins" interested ;-) I could ask for Daytona (which we used to have), Indianapolis (which we used to have), Laguna Seca (which we used to have), Road America (which PCARS has) etc etc.

To everybody reading this. Doesn't it bother anyone else about all the tracks PD have left out of this game, or is it just me?

Why are we lauding PD for drip feeding us these made up tracks when so very many great tracks from previous games are nowhere to be seen?

I've driven around this track on various layouts in various cars now and I still don't get the love for it, it's just dull. There is one chicane that is tricky and the rest are just variations on right angle degree's and hairpins. Most of which are flat, most of which have the same kerb on the inside and out and non of which are a challenge.

To compare this to another large track, Le Mans;
At Le Mans every corner is different, even chicane 1 and 2 are different. You attack the entry and exit very differently and can lean on the kerbs differently. The braking on the approach to 1 is also very bumpy. Then you have Mulsan, a corner that is pretty might a right angle, except the entry is compromised due to a kink and then the exit kerbs are almost double stacked allowing you to run very deep on exit... etc etc
Every lap around Le Mans is a test of how well you know the car and track and how far you're willing to gamble.

This however is not the case with Sainte-Croix. Once you've learned say 3-4 corners, you've got the rest sorted. You can attack every corner in the same way, same inside kerb same run off exit kerb.

I can see why people are getting more enjoyment out of it in slower cars, but from what I can tell, that's just because those cars can be more fun to drive than anything to do with the actual track.

It's just OK... It gives me some Herman Tilke track vibes... Egg curbs, some "S" section and blind an 90 degree curbs... With long straights.

Typically "Herman Tilke" Track ..

Not at all on of my favorites.

Like more other original tracks as apricot hill, deep forest, the capitán, citta di aria...

Would also like to see urban tracks coming back as Seattle, Madrid, Paris, Rome, New York, London....

And I find there's world tracks missing as laguna seca, Monaco, Spa, Silverstone, fuji, twin ring motegi ...

I feel like this is PD experimenting with an open world. It's a really long track and it has a whole slew of turns and straights.

Look at it this way. According to the Poll 96 love, 47 hate it and 106 are just "meh!" There is a disproportionate number of posts here with people absolutely swooning over this track and I am trying to encourage some balance here in the discussion.
I just skimmed the past pages in this thread and I don't see the imbalance you're seeing. I've seen both positive and negative opinions on Sainte-Croix in every page. Furthermore, I don't see anyone else going to the lengths you have to make their point clear. The first five posts you made in this thread have all basically added up to "I dislike fantasy tracks," and that's it. Up until that point, you weren't adding anything to the discussions people were having that we didn't hear from you before. That's the problem I had with you.
PD do actually read this site and do take some notice of what is said here. So far they have realised they can keep serving up exactly what they have been doing and the majority here will just love it.
Is there any proof that PD read this site? As far as I know, they don't, and that's understandable given that we are but a small percentage of the GT fanbase.

Tagging @Famine on this because I don't remember there being any solid proof.
This is why GT Sport is the way it is, too many people are happy to settle for this second rate junk.
And that would be becuase the people in question see it as more than second-rate junk.

I have to ask; were you really trying to bring balance to the discussion, or did you just not like that your opinion was unpopular? The bolded part makes me think you are having trouble accepting that the majority either like the track or have a neutral opinion toward it. You can't claim the thread is disproportionate just because the majority doesn't share your opinion. This isn't a one-sided discussion.

Since I love the track, I'll point out a few negatives from my view. :sly:

- night time is missing
- grandstand and Infield fanfare(fireworks, balloons, roller-coaster, ferris wheel), are lacking
- no tunnel(s)
...and...err, umm,... Gimme a minute.

Its a great circuit, awesome for racing and all 3 layouts give you something different.

Clearly those criticizing the track don't remember Cape Ring from GT6. Now THAT was a **** track.
PD has come a long way from designing crappy tracks. Save from Alsace Village, all fantasy tracks for GT sport have been fantastic.

Its a great circuit, awesome for racing and all 3 layouts give you something different.

Clearly those criticizing the track don't remember Cape Ring from GT6. Now THAT was a **** track.
PD has come a long way from designing crappy tracks. Save from Alsace Village, all fantasy tracks for GT sport have been fantastic.
Some of the configurations of cape ring, the ones without the big loop, were actually pretty nice.

Last edited:
What's also cool is, in a 2-lap race at track A, replay cameras are only Trackside. None moving alongside the car. Feels more like watching a TV broadcast. Love stuff like that.

I would say PD have more hits than misses in track design over the years, a lot of them are great fun to race around. Makes one wonder why we haven't seen some come back.

Cape ring was a mix, I really enjoyed the outer loop, even with the jump ring, it had a great flow.

What's also cool is, in a 2-lap race at track A, replay cameras are only Track side. None moving alongside the car. Feels more like watching a TV broadcast. Love stuff like that.

You can pick 'variable camera' (I think that's what it's called) from the pause menu of a replay and you get those track side cameras on any track.

I would say PD have more hits than misses in track design over the years, a lot of them are great fun to race around. Makes one wonder why we haven't seen some come back.

Cape ring was a mix, I really enjoyed the outer loop, even with the jump ring, it had a great flow.

You can pick 'variable camera' (I think that's what it's called) from the pause menu of a replay and you get those track side cameras on any track.
I'm talking about the feel of camera placement for St Croix.

What's also cool is, in a 2-lap race at track A, replay cameras are only Trackside. None moving alongside the car. Feels more like watching a TV broadcast. Love stuff like that.
And here I am wishing real race broadcasts would use more dynamic cameras like in GT instead of the same old angles they’ve been using for decades :P

The track grows on you. I already liked it but may be like it little more now lol. Having said that I would like them to redo the classic GT tracks which were simply upscaled in GT6 instead of making new ones.

Anyway i like the section A -B - and C...after 1000km,ihave learned very well.
Now i have to learn the reverse section...lol

Firstly, the track was a waste of time in the first place for PD because everyone wants them to work on laguna or deep forset and stuff, I appreciate the creativity but yea.. The track has no character because it looks like it was made in track path editor with the wide consistent track width, the tree lining and all the barriers. Also there is barely any elevation change or banking on corners, you cant see most of the apex’s. To me the track doesn’t flow at all and is plain unenjoyable especially with road cars. Maybe it’s just me and most people like the track. ❓

Firstly, the track was a waste of time in the first place for PD because everyone wants them to work on laguna or deep forset and stuff

How do you know this? You should write "I" or "many" instead of "everyone".

What's great with Polyphony Digital is that they make the content they want, there is no way a gaming development studio can please everybody, some will be disappointed no matter what.
I like the track, it has some difficult corners, but it was better than I expected and it's nice to have something completely new.

Last edited:
Back