Circuit Zolder Looks Just Like the Real Thing in Latest Assetto Corsa Competizione Preview

Wow in some shots it's hard to tell the difference. They really nailed the track down to the exact detail. Zolder needs to be in more games. :)

To bad its just race cars. Those games like project cars and assetto corsa are pretty good on pc, but on console they are not very impressive, gt sport blows both away.

Whilst some static shots look 'good', no racing game looks 'real'. They just don't. The human eye is too skilled at noticing small things to be fooled and more noticeably, games seem to suffer from what I'd call 'hyper-realism', take code-masters for example and extreme bloom etc.

Real life is very subtle and games can't seem to pull this off yet, everything is almost 'showing off'. Even movies seem to have almost given up on it. Take Golem in LOTR. Stuff hasn't really moved on that far. Look at Final Fantasy The Spirits Within - 18 years later and games still don't look this good.

In a race simulation such as ACC everything is equally sharp which is not the case how we perceive everything in real life. In real life, the further we look the less sharp things get. The same happens in our peripheral vision.

Dynamic foveated rendering in VR does but for a rendering purpose. The sweet spot of the human eye is only a few degrees in which everything looks sharp.

UE4 is a very versatile engine but it's not one that's very easy to work with. But if the devs are capable enough the results can be very impressive. Gears of War 4 imo is the best demonstration of this engine so far, that game not only looks stunning but also runs very well at max settings. However when the devs aren't up to the task you get something like PUBG...
I still think GTS is the best looking circuit racing game of all time and I don't think we will see any better looking one until next gen.

UE4 is a very versatile engine but it's not one that's very easy to work with. But if the devs are capable enough the results can be very impressive. Gears of War 4 imo is the best demonstration of this engine so far, that game not only looks stunning but also runs very well at max settings. However when the devs aren't up to the task you get something like PUBG...
I still think GTS is the best looking circuit racing game of all time and I don't think we will see any better looking one until next gen.
Agree on GTS visuals. I mean especially the lighting, it’s the only racing game I know where daylight feels really realistic IMO.

Also in that Digital Foundry video to compare GTS with FM7 car models, GTS sure took the crown home. :)

Look at Final Fantasy The Spirits Within - 18 years later and games still don't look this good.
Why would they? Final Fantasy The Spirits Within was rendered using 960 Pentium III-933 MHz workstations. Nine-hundred and sixty. Each character had 400,000+ polygons and Aki had 60,000 strands of animated hair alone. Each frame took around 90 minutes to render.

Even accounting for 2001 technology that is far more processing power than any single gaming machine available today is capable of... but you think one machine in 2019 should be able to produce something of the same quality in realtime. Okay buddy. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Its still going to be decades before gaming PCs can approach anything like that, if they EVER will.

I don't think it is yet.

Yep, the Only thing about the Raytracing on ACC is from The RTX demo a few months ago:

assetto-corsa-competizione-nvidia-rtx-ray-tracing-screenshot-001-850px.png

The rest of the promotional images and videos are with the SSR of the UE4.

Yes, I was referring to this video. Didn't know it isn't enabled at the moment.

I drove a fair amount of laps in my own GT86 at Zolder this year, so I'm excited to see what it'll feel like.
Driving the GT86 at Zolder in PCars was absolutely nothing like real life. I was utterly shocked how bad that was for a sim...

I thought it was going to be today, I always forgot these dates always refer to US of A time :P

Busy day tomorrow with GT Sport update also on the same day :crazy:

Driving the GT86 at Zolder in PCars was absolutely nothing like real life. I was utterly shocked how bad that was for a sim...
Well, roadcars in pCARS are... not the best simulation wise.

Anyway, cannot wait for Zolder. Underrated but absolutely wonderful track.

I think ACC is updating as we speak uhh write and read.

I did one lap with my keyboard and it seems to be spot on. Better than pCars, not pCars 2, version.

Last edited:
Love seeing obscure cars like this in games sadly that era is disappearing though because less and less teams are just buying racecars instead of making their own.

I'm impressed. How do the other tracks compare to their real life counterparts? ACC is incredible looking, I kind of want to see a similar comparison for all of the tracks released so far.

I had planned to do a few laps really just for Zolder, that was 2 hours ago.
I've ran the hot lap @ Zolder in that Jag nonstop my god is it good. The noise that car makes is addicting, the track is a carbon copy of the screen shots very impressed. FPS are also up with this update, not sure if VR is better but single screen 1440p is noticeably improved.
The big update for me is next month which brings the Acura and Monza.

Here is the full update..

• New Emil Frey Jaguar G3 car.
  • New laser-scanned Circuit Zolder racetrack.
  • New special events with online leaderboards.
  • Fixed disappearing main menu UI in VR.
  • Texture memory optimizations.
  • Fixed a chase cam rotation bug.
  • Fixed a TV camera bug.
  • Car light improvements in TV camera views.
  • New inertia calculation method and new more accurate inertia value (advice for setups, use a softer fast damper to let the body move and settle, instead of having the car and wheels jumping)
  • New motion ratio calculation for dampers resulting in more accurate values dedicated to each car.
  • New ABS feature. ABS now never let’s higher than 70% difference between left and right brake pressure. Improves behavior on extreme torque vectoring, like braking and going through a water puddle with one side of the car, but can result in inner wheel locking if driver insists braking hard while turning into a turn. Might need more rear brake bias on certain cars.
  • Improved ABS logic, resulting in better turn-in under braking, on certain cars (most notably modern cars such as the Huracán, F488, BMW M6).
  • Improved TC off on gear-change functionality. TC is instantly switched off and on again when a gear change occurs, in order to protect the engine and drivetrain from heavy vibrations especially on situations where kerbs and the engine limiter are involved (part of real cars’ TC logic too, occasionally they will even not allow the gearchange). Now the TC off timing is car-dedicated and optimized. Some cars might handle a gear change better than others.
    • Improved tyre thermal model, especially wet tyres.
    • Improved tyre grip when tyres are overheated, such as after a spin.
    • More tyre wear when tyres are overheated, no free meal.
    • Corrected bumpstop position and functionality of the Ferrari 488 GT3.
    • New ECU maps for all cars. ECU maps now influence power, fuel consumption and throttle maps. Usually, the lower number is the more powerful and has the most power consumption. After the initial 3-4 values, it switches to wet ECU maps with similar power and fuel consumption but different throttle maps. Please check the official forum for all the released cars’ ECU map characteristics.
    • New launch control for all cars. Now with manual clutch, just engage 1st gear, put the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the engine will stabilize around 5000rpm. Release the clutch gradually while keeping the accelerator fully open to avoid stalling.
      Audio engine optimizations
    • Fixed potential wrong volumes switching cameras
    • Fixed time multiplier for the end race replay
    • Fixed wrong track map cars position during replay
    • Intro sequence updated

I have to say, my FPS is still juttery. But that is most likely due to my CPU being a i5-3570k and, all the fixings that comes with using such an old processor.

I've just read there's an incoming hot fix for the Jags audio. I liked the aggressive sound although it wasn't correct.

i5 4690, GTX 970 and 16 MB and no jutters and stable FPS with only one car on track.

Well, I got to figure out what's causing all the issues. I too have 16GB of memory but I am using a GTX1070. The first lap usually has some frames that hang, especially when I am running during sunrise or sunset. When I attempt to lighten the load on the graphics, the stuttering gets worse. I tried running with Temporal Antialiasing, and for the most part, that smoothened things out a bit. But when I fired up the sim last night, my rig was doing an impersonation of an XB1 Fat, running PCars. Maybe I need to be looking at something else, memory perhaps?

Sad to hear about the technical issues. The game is looking sharp, but performance needs to be better. It seems you need a monster machine to run everything on 4K/60fps. Thats a lot of money for every single frame.

Had a run at Zolder last night. Cloudy, 7pm (19:00). Have to say it looked stellar. The lighting was incredible. PD-like quality. Looked pretty close to photo realistic most places.
A bit of a chikane-fest this track but still it's great fun to race. Love it!

Well, I got to figure out what's causing all the issues. I too have 16GB of memory but I am using a GTX1070. The first lap usually has some frames that hang, especially when I am running during sunrise or sunset. When I attempt to lighten the load on the graphics, the stuttering gets worse. I tried running with Temporal Antialiasing, and for the most part, that smoothened things out a bit. But when I fired up the sim last night, my rig was doing an impersonation of an XB1 Fat, running PCars. Maybe I need to be looking at something else, memory perhaps?
Hang-ups like that are never fun. And difficult to diagnose. IIRC I fixed one such issue once by closing one of the background tasks in Windows. Maybe you should have a look at what programs/tasks are active when you start the game. Especially antivirus programs are known to cause such issues. Or other programs that use a lot of CPU time and/or internet connectivity. If nothing else it's a good place to start. :)

A re-install of the game could also work.
A clean GPU driver install could also work.

More drastic measures would be to empty the register, which over the years gets cluttered with all kinds of garbage, eating up memory and disk space first and foremost. In other words: re-install Windows. That's pretty drastic though, and should only be attempted as a last resort.

Last edited:
I'm having lots of trouble nailing the chicanes at Zolder. Those sausage kerbs are positively evil :crazy: The Jag being a floaty beast doesn't help either. The Ferrari is pretty much the only car I can drive here around without wiping out every 2nd lap or so. Just needs practice. Also I can't for the life of me figure out a consistent line through T2 (and by extension that mucks up my entry into T3).

Watching the real life onboard it's crazy how much of the second chicane they cut! I haven't personally tried in game but I bet that will turn your laptime red for sure.

Also, anyone knows what's the "CL bar" on the HUD besides the FFB bar?

A bit of an odd addition seeing these racecars all have sequential shifters and no manual clutch is involved. Reading the patch notes it seems it's needed for standing starts, but doesn't Blancpain only have rolling starts?

I'm having lots of trouble nailing the chicanes at Zolder. Those sausage kerbs are positively evil :crazy: The Jag being a floaty beast doesn't help either. The Ferrari is pretty much the only car I can drive here around without wiping out every 2nd lap or so. Just needs practice. Also I can't for the life of me figure out a consistent line through T2 (and by extension that mucks up my entry into T3).

Watching the real life onboard it's crazy how much of the second chicane they cut! I haven't personally tried in game but I bet that will turn your laptime red for sure.
Agree with everything. The kerbs are harsh, but shouldn't the BMW also be able to handle them well? (Haven't tested it with the BMW yet). Turn 2 is notoriously difficult yes. Can't get it right either.
I've watched quite a bit of Blancpain on TV and it seems more cutting is allowedoverlooked than in say WEC, as long as everyone does it. And everyone does. :) At least that's my impression. But yeah, that sort of driving in ACC would get you a red laptime.

Reading the patch notes it seems it's needed for standing starts, but doesn't Blancpain only have rolling starts?
AFAIK, yes all races have rolling start. At least I can't remember any track that doesn't.

Back