Classic BTCC in GT7?

• Thread starter dcalde78
  • 35 comments
dcalde78
I am aware that this may well be somewhat of a niche style of racing considering it's the British Touring Car Championship, but as there seems to be a lot of regional variations of the touring car format (DTM/JTCC for example), I'd love to see more classic examples of each series brought into GT7 under their own specific league, rather than GT3/4, etc. I can't think of any games that have had included the 90s Supertouring era other than the licenced TOCA games of that time but there's a lot to enjoy from the British series alone in terms of manufacturers such as Ford, Peugeot, Renault, Honda and Nissan that are already licensed for GT7 and tracks such as Thruxton, Oulton Park, Croft and with Donington GP returning to the schedule in 2023 it's a perfect time to introduce the series to a bigger audience by adding it to GT7. Equally, I'd love to learn more about the DTM and JTCC and have cars and tracks from those series represented as well since Touring Cars in general seem to be an underrepresented aspect of motorsport within racing games as a whole.

I will admit that I just want to live out my fantasies of being Cleland in his Cavalier fighting with Soper and his 3 series but we already have the Alfa 155 Touring Car, so why not bring back more of that era?

I am aware that this may well be somewhat of a niche style of racing considering it's the British Touring Car Championship, but as there seems to be a lot of regional variations of the touring car format (DTM/JTCC for example), I'd love to see more classic examples of each series brought into GT7 under their own specific league, rather than GT3/4, etc. I can't think of any games that have had included the 90s Supertouring era other than the licenced TOCA games of that time but there's a lot to enjoy from the British series alone in terms of manufacturers such as Ford, Peugeot, Renault, Honda and Nissan that are already licensed for GT7 and tracks such as Thruxton, Oulton Park, Croft and with Donington GP returning to the schedule in 2023 it's a perfect time to introduce the series to a bigger audience by adding it to GT7. Equally, I'd love to learn more about the DTM and JTCC and have cars and tracks from those series represented as well since Touring Cars in general seem to be an underrepresented aspect of motorsport within racing games as a whole.

I will admit that I just want to live out my fantasies of being Cleland in his Cavalier fighting with Soper and his 3 series but we already have the Alfa 155 Touring Car, so why not bring back more of that era?
BTCC of any era is unlikely to ever appear in a GT game.

We got some race mods in GT2 that looked quite like BTCC cars of about the same era, but BTCC's head, Alan Gow, refuses to part-out BTCC licences and believes that they should only be in their own game and not part of someone else's. That includes historic machinery.

All of which means it's going to be in a dedicated BTCC game, or not in any game.

You know, I wouldn't mind if they gave us the original, street versions of the respective cars and then we'd just apply our mods and liveries onto them. After all, they are touring cars so they don't have fancy downforce mods or anything either way.
people are already making BTCC liveries for current cars, these being what I run on my GT4 GTR and Silvia Race Car, plus a GT3 variant as well

RcM1mTY.png

We got some race mods in GT2 that looked quite like BTCC cars of about the same era, but BTCC's head, Alan Gow, refuses to part-out BTCC licences and believes that they should only be in their own game and not part of someone else's. That includes historic machinery.

All of which means it's going to be in a dedicated BTCC game, or not in any game.
that's rather disappointing. you'd've hoped that whoever was in charge would want the series to get as much exposure as possible. I know that iRacing has a touring cars series that does feature modern cars (some of which aren't racing in the current series) and tracks but doesn't tie it to BTCC which is probably why it gets away with it. it does seem rather short sighted to not at least include the modern stuff, but I've got a real itch for that Supertouring era that nothing can scratch

Last edited:
The RS500, 190E and E30, plus the R32, would steer more towards DTM/Group A. For that BTCC Super Touring era, we'd need the Primera/G20, Accord Type R & Euro R models, Peugeots, and others, as the OP And Famine mentioned.

Some of us have made BTCC Focus ST, FK2 Type-R and AMG A45 replicas. It's just there's a horde of 1990s sedans and hatches we've had in the past GT games. We'd be lucky if PD looked the past games for off the radar car list inspiration.

With high quality wheels being available, I’d love for Codemasters to give us a brand new TOCA game complete with all the speed, sound and aggression that went with it. I still own their PS1 TOCA games (and Jarrett And Labonte Stock Car Racing) and used to play the crap out of them.

As mentioned the holder of the license is being very strict with it, IIRC the same reason is why we only have one DTM car ingame though older GT games had multiple. I'd love to have the 96 C-Class DTM to race against the 155.

If Polyphony or any other developer wants, they could include all the super touring era cars they want, just like with the GT3, GT4, TCR, GT1, Group C...

The only thing that would happen is that in order not to have licensing problems they could not include all the BTCC, JTCC, STW liveries or teams and drivers names from the same season.

Also they can make fictional touring car version of a lot of cars.
Inside Gr.4 appears:
Subaru WRX
Mazda Atenza
Mitsubishi Evo X
Genesis G70
Why not make more?

With high quality wheels being available, I’d love for Codemasters to give us a brand new TOCA game complete with all the speed, sound and aggression that went with it. I still own their PS1 TOCA games (and Jarrett And Labonte Stock Car Racing) and used to play the crap out of them.

TOCA was a classic eh! I also played that to death back in the day.
In fact, me and my mate scouted out the best places to stand at Donington Park from the game in 1999 before we went to watch it live there!

We spent most of the weekend stood down at The bottom of the Craner Curves, but we were stood right next to this camera tower at end of straight when the Nissans crashed at one of the race starts:

Last edited:

Well that sucks and wasn't info I knew about beforehand, I guess constantly waiting for the Supertouring cars to show up in a new game like I've been doing for about a decade now is a lost cause after all.

I guess this explains why the Primera and Laguna BTCC cars that IIRC were planned for Project Cars 2 never materialised despite basically every other vehicle on the list making it in.

There is a BTCC game in development, scheduled for release in 2024. I'm really hoping it's good!

It's Motorsport Games, don't expect much, or anything.

I don't follow PC games but saw this with a couple of BTCC cars for rFactor2: https://www.studio-397.com/2022/04/announcing-btcc-2021-22/

I think Codemasters have put a couple of classic cars in the Grid games too, I agree in general though I wouldn't expect much BTCC in any games.

I don't follow PC games but saw this with a couple of BTCC cars for rFactor2: https://www.studio-397.com/2022/04/announcing-btcc-2021-22/
rFactor 2, made by Studio 397, owned by MG, who hold the BTCC licence and are... behind on their BTCC title...

While that relationship explains why the cars appeared in RF2, I can with confidence state that we (and you) were not the only ones surprised by the fact they did so...

I don't see PD investing in an old series even if it would worth it like BTCC, but I can see them adding modern WTCC (or WTCR as they are named now).

Click "Classes" in the top left corner.

The FFB/physics is better than anything else I've tried. Can't even be compared to GT7.

Hardware requirements are low as well. A PC for 600-1000 euro runs it excellently.

I'd take the BTCC roster of tracks over the cars first. Walked all of them, but driven very few. Cars (or a fair substitute of them) can be backdoored in without being officially licensed.

Do we know if the tracks are tied to that, or could PD negotiate with individual circuits separately?

Some tracks are better than others, but I'd love Knockhill, Thruxton, and Croft to show up. New Snetterton can get in the bin though.

Do we know if the tracks are tied to that, or could PD negotiate with individual circuits separately?

Some tracks are better than others, but I'd love Knockhill, Thruxton, and Croft to show up. New Snetterton can get in the bin though.
Some of the circuits have appeared in GT already, Brands Hatch for example and we had Silverstone before. Personally I'd love to see Oulton Park, it's a great track and is just a 10 min drive from where I live.

Last edited:

What a stupid man and so short sighted I hope he enjoys it. Where is the official btcc game oh thats right its stuck in development hell under Motorsport games.

Last edited:
As long as we get the cars and mods that can make the cars look like BTCC cars that would be a fine alternative.

What a stupid man and so short sighted I hope he enjoys it.
The entire world does not revolve around Gran Turismo. If he doesn't want his series to appear in an "everything" racing game to be butchered by it just so the game can have another checkmark on the back of the box (See: what PD did with the NASCAR and WRC licences in GT5) and instead wants some facsimile of an authentic experience, that's his prerogative.

Last edited:
The entire world does not revolve around Gran Turismo. If he doesn't want his series to appear in an "everything" racing game to be butchered by it just so the game can have another checkmark on the back of the box (See: what PD did with the NASCAR and WRC licences in GT5) and instead wants some facsimile of an authentic experience, that's his prerogative.
I want to see btcc in different racing games not just Gran Turismo.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of any proper TC focus when PD's idea of "World Touring Cars" are just any car they like.

What PD have done with Gr.4, is probably the closest we’ll get to a production car touring car series. Though Gr.4 is more like Super Taikyu, with all the mixed drivetrains in the one discipline. Take out the MR cars for a more modern sedan series.

Someone asked the same question outside of gtplanet, but this subject comes up here, from time to time.

Yes! The Super Touring era was the best era in touring cars. Dont need BTCC branding, just give us the street cars and make the appropriate mods available and the livery editors will take care of the rest. 👌

View attachment 1168550
I wish. We have everything we need. Roll cages, increase wheel diameter, front and rear spoiler options. So easy to add those cars.

Super Tourings are definitely on my wishlist. XD
It would be great to have them in the game. Even though a BTCC license is unlikely, if they add the base models the community easily would take care of the liveries. And since they ran around the world in other championships, I don't think Toca could do something against it. There are a lot of them alive as well to be scanned, too.

Last edited:
Back