Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,555 comments
That is why F1 in that era was jokingly called Formula Ford...lol. In that era you were not required to make the entire car, so a team would buy three DFV's (one in the car, one in the truck, and one in rebuild) and add it to their chassis, or buy a chassis from someone else. Even the private teams won races...as did Rob Walker's Team with Jo Siffert at Brands Hatch in 1968. He, in his Lotus49-Cosworth, Held off Chris Amon's and Jacky Ickxx Ferrari 312s for his first GP Win. He was a very fast Porsche Factory Driver as well. I was there....and the crowd went wild!!!!

View attachment 634197

and here is the Race Poster...one of the best ever IMHO. They were not for sale and I used my American Boy Tourist charm, with no effect, to get the really cute girl in RAC office in London to to give or sell me one.
View attachment 634198

The car in the poster is one of Bruce Mclaren's M4B-BRM V-12's
That level of available competitiveness in those days is what's missing from F1 these days.
If someone with bags full of cash wants to buy a current car or, last year's model, bolt an engine to the back & go racing, F1 would be a whole lot better IMHO.

That level of available competitiveness in those days is what's missing from F1 these days.
If someone with bags full of cash wants to buy a current car or, last year's model, bolt an engine to the back & go racing, F1 would be a whole lot better IMHO.

Wouldn't fix the problem. F1 is so fluid from race to race, that buying a car and engine of choice isn't enough. You need an army of development engineers to make it work. Back then it was easy, cause the car you saw from launch was pretty much the same thing you saw at the end of the year. Hell certain chassis would be used for several years before a brand new one was built. The simple gentleman's f1 died at the end of the 70s that's the reality.

However, even though it no longer exists it's great to see these images and be reminded of the history, that's enough for me really.

Wouldn't fix the problem. F1 is so fluid from race to race, that buying a car and engine of choice isn't enough. You need an army of development engineers to make it work. Back then it was easy, cause the car you saw from launch was pretty much the same thing you saw at the end of the year. Hell certain chassis would be used for several years before a brand new one was built. The simple gentleman's f1 died at the end of the 70s that's the reality.

However, even though it no longer exists it's great to see these images and be reminded of the history, that's enough for me really.
The easy way around that is, the car you present at the first race, is what you race for the whole year with one or two updates allowed.

Watch the costs of competing & development go down with that one :)

The easy way around that is, the car you present at the first race, is what you race for the whole year with one or two updates allowed.

Watch the costs of competing & development go down with that one :)

Watch the series disappear too

watch the fans come back in millions to watch drivers DRIVE ( not aim) racecars and not watch multi zillion credt business empires duel with super technicians. Very boring.

Niki Lauda - DRM Norisring 1974 - Capri RS 3100

autowp.ru_ford_capri_rs_cologne_2.jpg

1970 Austrian Grand Prix

Driver: Tim Schenken AUS
Car: De Tomaso 505/38 (3.0L Ford-Cosworth V8)
Finished: DNF (Engine)

tim_schenken__netherlands_1970__by_f1_history-d9zbb7q.png

Alan Jones & Frank Williams, 1979

alan_jones___frank_williams__1979__by_f1_history-da0vtfi.jpg

1980 British Grand Prix

Driver: Nelson Piquet BRA
Car: Brabham BT49 (3.0L Ford-Cosworth V8)
Finished: 2nd

nelson_piquet__great_britain_1980__by_f1_history-d9lo89s.jpg

Nelson Piquet & Bernie Ecclestone, 1987

nelson_piquet___bernie_ecclestone__australia_1987__by_f1_history-d9p5efe.jpg

That is why F1 in that era was jokingly called Formula Ford...lol. In that era you were not required to make the entire car, so a team would buy three DFV's (one in the car, one in the truck, and one in rebuild) and add it to their chassis, or buy a chassis from someone else. Even the private teams won races...as did Rob Walker's Team with Jo Siffert at Brands Hatch in 1968. He, in his Lotus49-Cosworth, Held off Chris Amon's and Jacky Ickxx Ferrari 312s for his first GP Win. He was a very fast Porsche Factory Driver as well. I was there....and the crowd went wild!!!!

View attachment 634197

and here is the Race Poster...one of the best ever IMHO. They were not for sale and I used my American Boy Tourist charm, with no effect, to get the really cute girl in RAC office in London to to give or sell me one.
View attachment 634198

The car in the poster is one of Bruce Mclaren's M4B-BRM V-12's

These were the days where reliability and outright skill trumped unreliable cutting edge technology, which is why secondhand chassis and reliable engine packages were safe bets for private owner/ driver entries,

These days you cant do that, HRT proved that with their Dallara built chassis, Dallara would be the safest choice for a competitive car straight out of the box with their vast experience, knowledge and credibility in lower/ alternative racing,

LMP1 has taken the same path, specially with the added expense of hybrid technology. Gone are the days where we will see private entries take it to the bigger manufactures like Pescarolo did in the mid naughties to Audi,

1953 French Grand Prix

Driver: Maurice Trintignant FRA
Car: Gordini T16 (2.0L Gordini I6)
Finished: DNF (Transmission)

maurice_trintignant__france_1953__by_f1_history-d5pgvtt.jpg

1954 French Grand Prix

Driver: Juan Manuel Fangio ARG
Car: Mercedes-Benz W196 (2.5L Mercedes-Benz I8)
Finished: 1st

juan_manuel_fangio__france_1954__by_f1_history-d5srndb.jpg

1958 British Grand Prix

Driver: Peter Collins ENG
Car: Ferrari 246 (2.4L Ferrari V6)

peter_collins__great_britain_1958__by_f1_history-d6f8lo6.jpg

1973 Canadian Grand Prix

Driver: Peter Revson USA
Car: McLaren M23 (3.0L Ford-Cosworth V8)

peter_revson__canada_1973__by_f1_history-d9uacre.jpg

1976 Spanish Grand Prix

Drivers: Patrick Depailler FRA & Vittorio Brambilla ITA
Cars: Tyrrell P34 (3.0L Ford-Cosworth V8) & March 761 (3.0L Ford-Cosworth V8)
Finished: DNF (Crash) & DNF (Suspension)

patrick_depailler__vittorio_brambilla__spain_1976__by_f1_history-da17208.jpg

Its a shame they discovered aero downforce...these cars were wonderfully artistic and needed real men ( and women) to drive. They were NOT GO CARTS on steroids. After the Eagle my favorite classicly beautiful F1 car is the Ferrari 312 .
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Simple cockpit...no driver aids here. Ya gotta drive around the car's problems not hit RESET or CONTROL ALT DELETE.

Its a shame they discovered aero downforce...these cars were wonderfully artistic and needed real men ( and women) to drive. They were NOT GO CARTS on steroids. After the Eagle my favorite classicly beautiful F1 car is the Ferrari 312 .
View attachment 642502

View attachment 642503

View attachment 642504

Simple cockpit...no driver aids here. Ya gotta drive around the car's problems not hit RESET or CONTROL ALT DELETE.
Amen to that, I couldn't agree more & that's why I have so much respect for the drivers of the cars from this era.
So many photos from this period with the car in a classic four wheel drift.
Back then, the drivers steered with their feet as well as their hands.

View attachment 642502
Technically the F1 cars of pre aero era were STILL Go Karts on steroids because the karts of that era were simple, oversteering beasts.

Technically the F1 cars of pre aero era were STILL Go Karts on steroids because the karts of that era were simple, oversteering beasts.
My thoughts exactly. Technology has moved on. Whether it is better now is debatable.

You are splitting hairs but... EVERYTHING was harder to drive without all forms of aero and ground effects. Wings and things
made the cars harder to drive as speed and necessary ability increased..BUT ground effects made the cars harder to drive initially as no one knew the "limits". But once they had been discovered the cars could be driven by those of average ability nearly as fast as those who were brilliant. I speak from experience because I drove a FF with street tires in the SCCA and then years later a friend let me take his Ralt Formula Atlantic for a spin at Lime Rock. Whithin 20 laps I was as fast as he was and I had't driven on track for over 10 years. The 60's Lotus 51 was MUCH harder to drive than the ground effects car which was a Ralt RT4.
IMG_4487.JPG

Here is a ground effects RT4/5 and the RT1. The first to either design or construct a true ground effects F1 car ( with apologies to the Brabham Fan car) was Lotus with their 78 and 79.
IMG_4486.JPG

The faster the car the harder it is to drive quickly as reaction times diminish and pucker onset is MUCH earlier... but as was noted above I prefer cars driven on throttle... or put another way... I prefer cars that are driven, not aimed.

My thoughts exactly. Technology has moved on. Whether it is better now is debatable.
But Bart...newer is not always better. a perfect example is this years retro F1 rules that harken back to the days when fat tires and big wings made the cars exciting and more difficult to drive . Now if the bloody things could be made to sound like a Ferrari, Matra, or Westlake v-12 all would be better, if not well.

And this thread is about memory and debate, not cad cam and computer wallahs and the latest widget of absurd aero wizardry. lol. Don't you just love it when a driver mashes all of the designers little aero widgets, which in theory make the car ever so much faster, and then he repeatedly smashes the lap record or catches the guy in front.

Its magic when a great driver gets in or on anything because he will wring its neck regardless of its own design capabilities. Alonso comes to mind and the dreadful Mclaren.

Just saw this thread for the first time, and figured I'd contribute.... (It's not like it's two years old, or like I haven't been around here for a decade or so...)

These first are some of my dad's slides, which I began scanning when he passed away in 2010. We lived in Germany from 1964 to 66, and Dad took advantage of the proximity to places like Spa and the Nurburgring.

1964 Spa. Rain threat at Spa??!?! Go figure!!
And look where Dad is standing to take the picture!!!!!!!!
13051511215_be253c2ea9_h.jpg

1965 Spa. Jackie Stewart climbing in, Jim Clark buckling his helmet, and Graham Hill on the right. You've heard of these guys, right???? :)
13051979065_019d52f996_h.jpg

Honda's first appearance in Formula One, the 1.5-liter transverse V-12. That works out to 125cc per cylinder, and it's my theory that if anybody knew how to make a 125cc cylinder, it was Honda! This was the debut of the car that weekend. This is Richie Ginther.
This picture was taken with a miserable abomination of a "lens," a Bushnell prism lens, essentially half a binocular. It was not sharp!!!
13052306854_d2bb9d65b3_h.jpg

The podium. Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, and Bruce McLaren
13052132773_a99dc0e0a9_h.jpg

Speaking of the wee Scot!! My, how times have changed!! No idea who the guy in the trench coat with the little purse is. Well, maybe that's a camera or something...
13051990655_6a303a446e_h.jpg

More to come!

Just saw this thread for the first time, and figured I'd contribute.... (It's not like it's two years old, or like I haven't been around here for a decade or so...)

These first are some of my dad's slides, which I began scanning when he passed away in 2010. We lived in Germany from 1964 to 66, and Dad took advantage of the proximity to places like Spa and the Nurburgring.

1965 Spa. Jackie Stewart climbing in, Jim Clark buckling his helmet, and Graham Hill on the right. You've heard of these guys, right???? :)

Honda's first appearance in Formula One, the 1.5-liter transverse V-12. That works out to 125cc per cylinder, and it's my theory that if anybody knew how to make a 125cc cylinder, it was Honda! This was the debut of the car that weekend. This is Richie Ginther.
This picture was taken with a miserable abomination of a "lens," a Bushnell prism lens, essentially half a binocular. It was not sharp!!!

Speaking of the wee Scot!! My, how times have changed!! No idea who the guy in the trench coat with the little purse is. Well, maybe that's a camera or something...

More to come!
GREAT!!!!! Please keep em comming.

Love the Blue Dunlop racing overalls...by the time I bought my first suit we were up to three layer nomex but those Jammies could still be bought to work in your garage from any Dunlop dealer.

Love the Blue Dunlop racing overalls...by the time I bought my first suit we were up to three layer nomex but those Jammies could still be bought to work in your garage from any Dunlop dealer.

My first racing suit, SCCA legal in 1968, included a MacGregor jacket dipped in boric acid.

My first racing suit, SCCA legal in 1968, included a MacGregor jacket dipped in boric acid.

I was absolutely spewing about my old dirt bike racer pants being destroyed by mice in storage, they were second hand when we got them for me at an age of around 9 and the fox logo was circa late 70s/ early 80s, absolute shame we didn't look after them properly,

View attachment 643066
The sound comming from this magnificent french pipe organ was simply orgasmic.

More to come!
Where were you in Germany? I was stationed at Sembach, near Ramstien and Kaiserslautern flying OV-10s in USAF.

IMG_4490.JPG

4 W's.Love the Minelite Racing Wheels.I saw this car and the series ( which has never been equaled in my significant,for survival rating, lifetime.)
another...
IMG_4459.JPG

wwww and where in God's name did that engine come from.

View attachment 643066
The sound comming from this magnificent french pipe organ was simply orgasmic.

Where were you in Germany? I was stationed at Sembach, near Ramstien and Kaiserslautern flying OV-10s in USAF.
The attachment isn't working for me for some reason :confused:
View attachment 643426
4 W's.Love the Minelite Racing Wheels.I saw this car and the series ( which has never been equaled in my significant,for survival rating, lifetime.)
another...
View attachment 643427
wwww and where in God's name did that engine come from.
Is that a Mustang from the TransAm days? It looks a helluva lot like the Karkraft-built Coca Cola Mustang, Allan Moffat ran here in Australia
IMG_0471.PNG

IMG_0472.PNG

Back