Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,556 comments
I expect this is Jim Clark's 1965 Indy winning Lotus 38, powered by a 4 cam Ford of 500hp.
OMG... I stumped Dotini :cheers:!!!!!!
Look closely at the chap bending over the car...close on the engine though.
And the Mustang raced near you at Kent I think?Who is the driver? What year ? Yup its a Trans Am Car. And what team ( trick question)

graham_hill__motor_racing_magazine_1968__by_f1_history-d5pd9wo.jpg

So was "Practising for Monaco" a well known euphemism back in the day? ;)

Last edited:
Two who are they questions...who are these two gents. One is easy.
image.jpeg

Now who is the pit road popsie and why is she sitting on this car and what is the car.
image.jpeg

Top one looks like Graham Hill.

Bottom one looks like a Brabham; could be Brabham or Hulme's wife/niece/daughter/delete as applicable?

1968 Mexican Grand Prix

#10 Graham Hill
#15 Jackie Stewart
#16 Jo Siffert

The race was notable for the lead changing 5 times between Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart and Jo Siffert, with Hill eventually emerging victorious (and claiming his second world title to boot).

1445947229391.jpg

29 August 1964 - RAC Tourist Trophy, Goodwood

Cars from back to front:

Jack Sears - AC Shelby Cobra
Graham Hill - Ferrari 330P

Dan Gurney - Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe
Denny Hulme - Brabham BT8 Climax
Mike Salmon - Aston Martin DP214

image53.jpg

1987 1000 km of Brands Hatch

#7 Porsche 962C
Hans-Joachim Stuck
Derek Bell

#5 Jaguar XJR-8
Jan Lammers
John Watson

e9e820a01dcdcfa521c7aec042a81d5b.jpg

Eric van de Poele drives the #35 Modena - Lamborghini 291

GettyImages-130014647.jpg

If that's Bruce McLaren, then this must be his 3.0 liter McLaren-Ford F1 car, and not a 4.2 Indy car as I first assumed.
Yes indeed... I thought it was his BRM V-12 car...until ...duh....I counted the cylinders. This very old picture came twitter ..of course.

More!!!!

1966 Dutch Grand Prix, Zandvoort, filming for Grand Prix.
13072221883_77e78c39bc_b.jpg

A very unfortunate pan across a lamp post, ruining a shot of James Garner.
13072221213_1e991cdfed_b.jpg

1966 German Grand Prix grid. 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3. That's really how they lined up! How did anyone ever get to turn 1???? And those of you watching from the side, please remain behind the rope. It would be dangerous, after all, were you to actually wander out onto the track....
13073253645_83bae5eae4_b.jpg

And the start. With people not properly behind the rope..... :)
13073571784_bf89241e0c_b.jpg

A little different... The start of the 1965 Nurburgring 1000km
13052210285_9f87f4ccca_b.jpg

It's Lisa (Francoise Hardy) Nino Barlini's (Antonio Sabato) lady friend from the film Grand Prix. It looks like a Brabham so probably is a BT11.

Top one looks like Graham Hill.

Bottom one looks like a Brabham; could be Brabham or Hulme's wife/niece/daughter/delete as applicable?

The girl is an French singer/actress who played Lisa in the great movie "Grand Prix" ....Can't remember her name though. This doesn't look like from same movie...Maybe a publicity shot done while filming. Looks like a Lotus, maybe one of the Formula 3 cars used in the film???

The girl is an French singer/actress who played Lisa in the great movie "Grand Prix" ....Can't remember her name though. This doesn't look like from same movie...Maybe a publicity shot done while filming. Looks like a Lotus, maybe one of the Formula 3 cars used in the film???
Its a Brabham BT 20 1966 F 1 car but they added upswept blackexhaust tips to make it "racy" looking.
IMG_4510.JPG
. Think that's Germany 66?

Francoise Hardy.. man was she cute!

Here she is wearing Hank Aaron's ( James Garner) Helmet, which of course, was a clone of Chris Amon's helmet.
IMG_4508.JPG

Actually Pete Aron. Hank Aaron was a genius-level black baseball player.
Bitch bitch bitch..

Mike Spence was killed at Indy...I stopped watching Indy for over 10 years. Here are the Indy Lotus turbines he drove.
IMG_4507.JPG

You could always tell it was Mike in his American style flames and lightning bolt helmet design that looked like it belonged on a 60's hot rod.
IMG_4506.PNG

Last edited:
Another set from Dad.

1965 Spa 500km paddock, American Cobras
13051809085_b81a90183f_b.jpg

The woman of "generous proportion" is my mother, and the lad in the red shirt is moi.
13051945133_72c3f243da_b.jpg

Yellow, Ferrari 250 LM, the race winner, and red, Ferrari 330 P
13051947993_0e7d1cbb7e_b.jpg

Just for fun, Dad at a go-kart track somewhere in Holland...
13051850703_08f88f426d_b.jpg

... and him getting passed. Probably lapped. Possibly again. :)
13528395035_c69164a56a_b.jpg

Williams, 1995

Williams Grand Prix Engineering

Series: Formula One
Drivers: Damon Hill ENG & David Coulthard SCO
Car: Williams FW17 (3.0L Renault V10)
1995 Results: 2nd (Hill, 4 wins) & 3rd (Coulthard, 1 win); 2nd in Constructors' Championship

Williams Touring Car Engineering

Series: British Touring Car Championship
Drivers: Alain Menu SUI & Will Hoy ENG
Car: Renault Laguna (2.0L I4)
1995 Results: 2nd (Menu, 7 wins) & 4th (Hoy, 3 wins); 2nd in Teams' Championship;
Renault 1st in Manufacturers' Championship

49ce64960f9b9cef8095ba0e8ffe6969.jpg

Last edited:
1975 South African Grand Prix

Dave Charlton delicately drifts the M23.

charlton-2.jpg

1970 1000 km of Nurburgring

Brian Redman in the Porsche 908/03 Spyder.

700531Ring+Redman+4+ar.jpg

1958 Morocco Grand Prix

Phil Hill - Ferrari 246 F1

phil.jpg

1938 Tripoli Grand Prix

Rudolf Caracciola and mechanics preparing the Mercedes-Benz W154.

48065.jpg

1938 Donnington Grand Prix

Hermann Miller piloting his Auto Union Type D, followed by Richard Seaman in his Mercedes-Benz W154.

48650aaa01ae15663bee60680231dfe9.jpg

Last edited:
1975 South African Grand Prix

Dave Charlton delicately drifts the M23.

charlton-2.jpg

1970 1000 km of Nurburgring

Brian Redman in the Porsche 908/03 Spyder.

700531Ring+Redman+4+ar.jpg

1958 Morocco Grand Prix

Phil Hill - Ferrari 246 F1

phil.jpg

1938 Tripoli Grand Prix

Rudolf Caracciola and mechanics preparing the Mercedes-Benz W154.

48065.jpg

1938 Donnington Grand Prix

Hermann Miller piloting his Auto Union Type D, followed by Richard Seaman in his Mercedes-Benz W154.

48650aaa01ae15663bee60680231dfe9.jpg
That shot of Dave Charlton in the M23 :bowdown:

That's what the current cars/drivers need to be capable of & then we'd see the F1 crowd numbers jump up.

That's what the current cars/drivers need to be capable of & then we'd see the F1 crowd numbers jump up.

I believe I used the first picture in the 1970s F1 nomination thread, but if there was one guy that could slide these cars better than anybody else it had to be Villeneuve... And since Monday will mark the 35th anniversary of his death, have some sideways pictures of the Piccolo Canadese.

ferr_gvill_1979.jpg

713835a63529ead278c320aae0dd6445.jpg

16953ddd2da1bf8bff52d13d4a0ade1b.jpg

1979-dutch-gp-gilles-villeneuve-ferrari-312t4.jpg

1431089040659.jpg

gillesvilleneuve1979ferrari.jpg

I believe I used the first picture in the 1970s F1 nomination thread, but if there was one guy that could slide these cars better than anybody else it had to be Villeneuve... And since Monday will mark the 35th anniversary of his death, have some sideways pictures of the Piccolo Canadese.

ferr_gvill_1979.jpg

713835a63529ead278c320aae0dd6445.jpg

16953ddd2da1bf8bff52d13d4a0ade1b.jpg

1979-dutch-gp-gilles-villeneuve-ferrari-312t4.jpg

1431089040659.jpg

gillesvilleneuve1979ferrari.jpg
:bowdown:
That black & white pic is cheating due to a...err, lack of grip :P

Seriously, this would be so easy to replicate with the current cars. Have a look at the rubber to wing/downforce ratio of the above compared to the current wings with wheels :rolleyes:

@-Fred-
35 years on and I think Schumacher and Montoya came closest to matching Villeneuve's car control. One of the best clips amongst other footage is of Villeneuve at Zandvoort in 81 during qualifying holding a perfect slide at a ridiculous angle plus anecdotes from Dijon that year. Just awesome.

Old Hairpin i think, with the Craner Curves in the background. Coppice back then was further forward and much sharper.
Isn't it amazing that over the years they have sanitized most of the great tracks. You go to Donington now and it looks like a vanilla sheep pasture with nothing but run off everywhere. Quite boring.

Isn't it amazing that over the years they have sanitized most of the great tracks. You go to Donington now and it looks like a vanilla sheep pasture with nothing but run off everywhere. Quite boring.

Well, got to disagree with you there. I've been to Donington twice in the last four weeks and i've got to say it looks better now then it ever has. Other than maybe in the 1930's. Trouble is, between that short period in the 30's when it hosted those great races with the AutoUnions, and when it reopened at the end of the 70's, it had been used by the military as a vehicle storage dump and most of what it was has been lost. The new owners have done a fantastic job of righting the wrongs of the aborted recent attempt at extending the track and facilities to GP standards. A lot of the old 70's hospitality units and other buildings have been demolished and the whole place has been beautified and it's probably the best flowing track in the country, as long as it's not the longer Melbourne Loop version.

There is something oddly special about racing on a track closely surrounded by nature. Parts of Spa, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park and, i would imagine, the Nordschleife, Le Mans - plus some of the classic northern Americans tracks, still give that feeling of actually travelling somewhere, not just going round and round in circles on some windswept concrete dust bowl. But having said that, nobody understandably wants to race on a circuit with a tree on the apex of a corner anymore.

Well, got to disagree with you there. I've been to Donington twice in the last four weeks and i've got to say it looks better now then it ever has. Other than maybe in the 1930's. Trouble is, between that short period in the 30's when it hosted those great races with the AutoUnions, and when it reopened at the end of the 70's, it had been used by the military as a vehicle storage dump and most of what it was has been lost. The new owners have done a fantastic job of righting the wrongs of the aborted recent attempt at extending the track and facilities to GP standards. A lot of the old 70's hospitality units and other buildings have been demolished and the whole place has been beautified and it's probably the best flowing track in the country, as long as it's not the longer Melbourne Loop version.

There is something oddly special about racing on a track closely surrounded by nature. Parts of Spa, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park and, i would imagine, the Nordschleife, Le Mans - plus some of the classic northern Americans tracks, still give that feeling of actually travelling somewhere, not just going round and round in circles on some windswept concrete dust bowl. But having said that, nobody understandably wants to race on a circuit with a tree on the apex of a corner anymore.

Agree with you there, I've been to Donington at least once a year for the past 4 years now and it's still a great track, one of the best in the country. I'll be going back next month to Download.

However with the finances they've had to play with in the last few years I wouldn't call it beautified. There are still some old tired buildings around the paddock but I suppose it's combining the beauty of the history and bringing it up to date and looking fresh. The Formula E buildings look fabulous and add to it's freshness for example.
With the MSV taking it over, I hope they invest their money well.

However with the finances they've had to play with in the last few years I wouldn't call it beautified. There are still some old tired buildings around the paddock but I suppose it's combining the beauty of the history and bringing it up to date and looking fresh. The Formula E buildings look fabulous and add to it's freshness for example.
With the MSV taking it over, I hope they invest their money well.

Many of those buildings still have that 70's vibe on the outside, but from what i experienced at the Historic Festival the other weekend, the pitlane hospitality units, the toilet blocks that back onto the melbourne loop and the bar/restaurant all look to have been internally renovated recently.

Back