Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,556 comments
Roo
jpegged to hell, but Dan Gurney in a Brabham. I knew 60s F1 cars were death traps but I'd never really visualised it before: those are the fuel tanks on the outside of his legs :scared:

90027244_2948076481947379_7291091741015277568_n.jpg
And like all his competitors, he would’ve worn a highly-flammable, cotton driving suit.

When you look at how many died or were seriously injured during the 60’s, these were brave men.

Dingle Dell, Brands Hatch (1995 & 1996)

Derek Warwick

CXuylRNWYAEhQIp.jpg

Tim Harvey

peugeot_406_btcc_3.jpg

Frank Biela

autowp.ru_audi_a4_quattro_btcc_9.jpg

John Cleland

6601374763_5e860d4bb8_b.jpg

DoBAzhpXkAEadkR.jpg
Looking at these pics & the heights achieved I have to wonder, did they shave some of the hump at Dingle Dell between '95 & '96, or did the '96 cars have more downforce?

Looking at these pics & the heights achieved I have to wonder, did they shave some of the hump at Dingle Dell between '95 & '96, or did the '96 cars have more downforce?

They definitely modified the hump by 1997 but I think the answer to your question is "both".

800px-Venturi_600LM_Pilot_Jacadi.jpg

Venturi wanted its brand to be associated with performance and so they began showcasing their performance by participating in motorsport events such as Le Mans and BPR Global GT series. The Venturi cars participating in these series were essentially the 400’S which is Venturi’s most popular model till date. The Venturi 400 sported a PRV ( an engine jointly developed by Peugeot, Renault and Volvo) sourced V6 engine. The PRV engines powering the Venturi 400’s were twin turbocharged to produce 400hp on the road going version, making it good enough to compete against the likes of Ferrari’s of the early 90’s. The Venturi 400’s 3.0-litre twin turbocharged V6 engines could sprint to 60mph (96.5kmph) in 4.7sec and clock a top speed of 181mph (291km) but This its the 600 LM i remember GT2

The #5 Panhard et Levassor 4 H.P. that won the world’s first automobile race. The 1895 Paris to Bordeaux:
upload_2020-4-1_2-30-36.png

upload_2020-4-1_2-35-15.jpeg

upload_2020-4-1_2-32-11.jpeg

upload_2020-4-1_2-33-41.jpeg

A total of 30 cars were entered into the race. Only nine finished and the Panhard finished six hours ahead of the second place #15 Peugeot and eleven hours ahead of the third place #6 Peugeot Type 16 Phaeton. The third place car was declared the “official winner” only because the first and second place cars were two seaters. :odd:

Last edited:
1951 Belgian Grand Prix

Driver: Juan Manuel Fangio ARG
Car: Alfa Romeo 159 (1.5L supercharged I8)
Finished: 9th

A stubborn wheel at a pit stop cost Fangio 14 minutes, resulting in the polesitter and setter of the fastest lap finishing uncharacteristically well down the order.

EU6xHAnXgAANzlF

1962 Brussel Grand Prix

EU59ZrNWoAM2oR_
IMHO this is a really superb photo. Those hay bales are priceless. The telephone pole is less amusing.
This would seem to be the penultimate F1 race for my boyhood hero Stirling Moss in the Lotus (#1).
I used to race a course very much like this at the annual downtown Marysville Kart races, replete with the hay bales and poles.

IMHO this is a really superb photo. Those hay bales are priceless. The telephone pole is less amusing.
This would seem to be the penultimate F1 race for my boyhood hero Stirling Moss in the Lotus (#1).
I used to race a course very much like this at the annual downtown Marysville Kart races, replete with the hay bales and poles.
Brussels was obviously a non-championship race.

Can anyone tell me when (besides those held in the UK) these races stopped being held?

Can anyone tell me when (besides those held in the UK) these races stopped being held?
It's astonishing, but in 1962, the year the lovely photograph above was taken, there were 20(!) Non-Championship GPs run across 3 continents for very large fields, usually including all the top drivers.

The last non-championship race was the 1983 Race of Champions.

The last two non-championship races prior to that were the 1981 South African and 1980 Spanish Grands Prix due to the FISA-FOCA war.

The last non-FISA related non-championship race was the 1979 Dino Ferrari Grand Prix at Imola, as a warm-up to Imola hosting the 1980 Italian Grand Prix. FIA rules stipulated that each new track needed a demonstration race before a licence was granted; this was also true in the case of the non-championship 1975 Argentinian Grand Prix, 1970 Brazilian Grand Prix and 1967 Spanish Grand Prix.

The last BRDC International Trophy was in 1978.

The last Oulton Park International Gold Cup was in 1972.

The last local race which just happened to be on the Formula One calendar was the 1967 Syracuse Grand Prix.

He made his debut with Jody Scheckter in the 1974 Spanish Grand Prix winning the races in Sweden and Great Britain in 1974 and the test in South Africa in 1975. After the debut of the revolutionary P34 it was used in Formula 1 only by private drivers.

In 1976, in addition to the official single-seaters piloted by Jody Scheckter and Patrick Depailler, 007 models were deployed by several private teams.

In the South African Grand Prix Ian Scheckter took part in driving a Team Lexington 007, who retired shortly after the start.

A 007 was deployed by the Japanese team Heroes Racing in the last GP that took place on the Fuji circuit. Driven by Kazuyoshi Hoshino, the car started 11th but managed to climb back to third position before a problem with a tire decreed its withdrawal.This car Is Tyrell 007
1017350536-LAT-19760815-76AUT30.jpg
scuderia-gulf-rondini.jpg

Last edited:
It's astonishing, but in 1962, the year the lovely photograph above was taken, there were 20(!) Non-Championship GPs run across 3 continents for very large fields, usually including all the top drivers.
The last non-championship race was the 1983 Race of Champions.

The last two non-championship races prior to that were the 1981 South African and 1980 Spanish Grands Prix due to the FISA-FOCA war.

The last non-FISA related non-championship race was the 1979 Dino Ferrari Grand Prix at Imola, as a warm-up to Imola hosting the 1980 Italian Grand Prix. FIA rules stipulated that each new track needed a demonstration race before a licence was granted; this was also true in the case of the non-championship 1975 Argentinian Grand Prix, 1970 Brazilian Grand Prix and 1967 Spanish Grand Prix.

The last BRDC International Trophy was in 1978.

The last Oulton Park International Gold Cup was in 1972.

The last local race which just happened to be on the Formula One calendar was the 1967 Syracuse Grand Prix.
Thank you guys.

Back