Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,556 comments
@Jtheripper Jim Clark could 4 wheel drift as well:

fig6zrb9du111.jpg

Silverstone, 1967

Although Clark did it quite smoothly. :lol: From what I can tell both Clark and Villeneuve had a very keen sense for their available grip, that is what allowed both of them to be so fast.

While we're on the topic of Jim Clark, here's an excellent article breaking down his driving style and what makes him so fast:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-made-him-so-good.6DXkoAanL2yMIyYE8AsauQ.html

As for Gilles, I read somewhere that he started out racing snowmobiles and ice racing, so he developed a keen sense of grip in slippery conditions. I always find it fascinating to read about the driving techniques of older drivers. In that era you really have to "drive". No downforce or high grip to save you, or a team of engineers telling you which buttons and switches to press to optimise your lap. It's pure competition between drivers. As much as I respect modern F1 for its engineering feat, that purity of driver vs driver competition is now lost (or at least massively diluted by other factors).

116722464_10214098019964785_3292729404335166428_o.jpg

No details with this one. Can't say much for the loading of no.2 though...

Edit to add: Danny Ongais at Long Beach in 1978, spectacularly failing to pre-qualify a privateer Shadow DN9.

116792348_10220670809791418_8917194444127220929_o.jpg

Second edit to add another photo with no details other than it's Pikes Peak:

116757231_10214104676131185_1609200210466205613_o.jpg

Last edited:
Roo
Classic motosport ad:

117773861_3568210466536916_5633426767816193358_o.jpg
That's a very rare car - ran only one race!

Mercedes-Benz and Roger Penske exploited a loophole in the rules by designing, building and developing a hi-tech pushrod engine to take advantage of the extra displacement allowed for stock block pushrod engines such as the classic small block Chevy (dating from the 1950's) and Fords (sometimes run by Dan Gurney) then allowed in the rules.

I don't remember about 30% of them, especially the last row (apart from Herbert, Hakkinen and McCarthy) and a few of the 2nd row. :lol:

The start of round 17 of the 1978 USAC Championship Car series, at Brands Hatch, on what became known as the Indy circuit. 16 US drivers came for a UK double header in October '78, featuring races at Silverstone and Brands, a week apart. AJ Foyt won at Silverstone, Rick Mears at Brands Hatch, but Danny Ongais was the fastest at both before retiring from both races. Tom Sneva (5th in shot below) would go on to win the title with 7 poles and 10 podiums, but no victories.

"Shortly after the start eventual winner Rick Mears leads in a Penske -Cosworth from Gordon Johncock (Wildcat-Drake), Danny Ongais (Parnelli-Cosworth), Bobby Unser (Lightning-Cosworth), Tom Sneva (Penske-Cosworth), Al Unser (Lola-Cosworth) and Tom Bagley (Watson-Offenhauser)"

4050810160_a34fac7193_o.jpg
1978 USAC Indy Trophy (Brands Hatch) by John Millar, on Flickr

Edit: keep looking through this guy's Flickr, he's got some great colour photos from the '78 British GP at Brands too.

Last edited:
Roo
The start of round 17 of the 1978 USAC Championship Car series, at Brands Hatch, on what became known as the Indy circuit. 16 US drivers came for a UK double header in October '78, featuring races at Silverstone and Brands, a week apart. AJ Foyt won at Silverstone, Rick Mears at Brands Hatch, but Danny Ongais was the fastest at both before retiring from both races. Tom Sneva (5th in shot below) would go on to win the title with 7 poles and 10 podiums, but no victories.

"Shortly after the start eventual winner Rick Mears leads in a Penske -Cosworth from Gordon Johncock (Wildcat-Drake), Danny Ongais (Parnelli-Cosworth), Bobby Unser (Lightning-Cosworth), Tom Sneva (Penske-Cosworth), Al Unser (Lola-Cosworth) and Tom Bagley (Watson-Offenhauser)"

4050810160_a34fac7193_o.jpg
1978 USAC Indy Trophy (Brands Hatch) by John Millar, on Flickr

Edit: keep looking through this guy's Flickr, he's got some great colour photos from the '78 British GP at Brands too.
What a blessing of variety too. Six different chassis/engine combinations in the top 7.

Pic from FB. Peter Brock & Colin Bond. Not sure of the circuit.

View attachment 955381
It's from the 1977 Australian Touring car Championship.

I can't identify the track from the pic either, however, with a little digging it couldn't be hard to narrow down. My best guess is the final turn at the now-closed Amaroo Park.

You'll notice Brock is driving an L34 Torana prior to the debut of the A9X & that Bondy is in an XB hardtop.

I like how Wes Graves' racing suit is sponsored by Psygnosis, the publisher of the classic, first two F1 games on the Playstation.

I like how Wes Graves' racing suit is sponsored by Psygnosis, the publisher of the classic, first two F1 games on the Playstation.
I wonder what he is doing now? I remember all those names except his.

There's definitely a Where is he now? article floating online somewhere. I remember reading it once.

Back