Classic Motorsport Photos

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,556 comments
On May 8, 1905, a pair of brand new "Curved Dash" Oldsmobile 7 HP Runabouts, notably Old Scout and Old Steady, made their way from New York City to Portland, Oregon for a $1,000 prize. Old Scout was driven by Dwight Huss and his mechanic and co-driver was Milford Wigle. Old Steady was driven by Percy Megargel and Barton Stanchfield. Settlers throughout the west including townspeople, ranchers, cowboys and farmers rode for miles on horseback to see Old Scout and Old Steady pass through their neck of the country. While the race was a much publicized event, many came out to see if automobiles were practical enough to be useful in the rugged West. One log from Megargel claimed that once they got away from the city into rural farm country, they encountered many people who has never seen an automobile before. One boy in particular was startled, turned around and ran the opposite direction screaming. After 44 long and grueling days and nights with lots of flooding, Old Scout got to Portland just in time for the Lewis and Clark Exposition in Portland on June 21. Old Steady rode in eight days later.
old.jpg

TR+01p07.jpg
TR+01p04.jpg
TR+02p10.jpg
TR+02p13.jpg
TR+01p01.jpg
TR+03p14.jpg
TR+02p11.jpg
51351620_10216104280254361_8290846134797074432_o.jpg

Old Scout shortly after^

Last edited:
Yeah, the Chase was added in the late 1980s (either 1986 or 1987?) to comply with the same FIA rules about not having straights longer than 2 kilometres that resulted in the chicanes being added at Le Mans.

Found this on Instagram, can't find any info about it.
View attachment 971314

I was curious about this so I searched around, apparently this is Erik Carlsson, a Swedish rally driver. He mostly drove Saabs and had a habit of rolling his car onto its roof. :lol: He even rolled it intentionally one time to escape mud at the Safari Rally. Sounds like quite a character.

Roo
Le Mans, 1957. The French-entered 3rd place finishing D-Type of Jean Lucas and ”Mary” (Jean Brussin) leads the Belgian-entered 4th place finisher of Paul Frère and Freddy Rousselle. Both cars are sporting national colours.

125973970_3445237562190378_8981952842993957008_n.jpg

I've worked on several E-Types, including a frame up restoration, which are very similar to the D-Type. A very advanced car for the day, and a bullet-proof engine. Not to mention quite shapely. In all, an admirable achievement technically and in performance at LeMans.

1939 Belgian Grand Prix
Driver:
Richard Seaman (ENG)
Car: Mercedes-Benz W154
Result: Crashed, died in hospital

In a sad coincidence, I think this is the exact same corner where Seaman had his accident -I think it's La Source. He crashed into a tree and was trapped in the cockpit, as the car caught fire. He perished in the hospital, due to fatal burns.

1939 Belgian GP - Richard Seaman in a Mercedes W154.jpg

Last edited:
1939 Belgian Grand Prix
Driver:
Richard Seaman (ENG)
Car: Mercedes-Benz W154
Result: Crashed, died in hospital

In a sad coincidence, I think this is the exact same corner where Seaman had his accident -I think it's La Source. He crashed into a tree and was trapped in the cockpit, as the car caught fire. He perished in the hospital, due to fatal burns.

View attachment 974860
Seaman died when his car slid off the road on the approach to the La Source hairpin. Whether that was at Blanchimont or prior I can't say.

He was knocked out on impact, the car caught fire, but people on the scene quickly put out the flames. He woke later in hospital & apologised to a Mercedes official saying he was going too fast.

@Roo that's an amazing pic from the last of the open-road rallies. Old school rallying at its wildest :eek:

Yes, it's recent but there is no doubt that today's events were dramatic, impactful and, thankfully, non-fatal.

2020 Bahrainian Grand Prix

Driver: Romain Grosjean FRA

EoACrq0WEAEIjBy

debris-following-the-crash-of-romain-grosjean-of-france-and-news-photo-1606663451.

Untitled.png

racefansdotnet-2020-11-29-15-22-44-22.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's recent but there is no doubt that today's events were dramatic, impactful and, thankfully, non-fatal.

2020 Bahrainian Grand Prix

Driver: Romain Grosjean FRA

EoACrq0WEAEIjBy

debris-following-the-crash-of-romain-grosjean-of-france-and-news-photo-1606663451.

View attachment 975002

racefansdotnet-2020-11-29-15-22-44-22.jpg
An amazing escape from what would’ve surely been a fatality only a few years ago.

I get the feeling we’ll be seeing guardrail at FIA Grade 1 circuits as a thing of the past from now on.

Latest Posts

Back