Classic Muscle Car Championship - 21 November 2013

• Thread starter hazzy
  • 51 comments
I am running a 427 Shelby cobra, which is a great car, and the best I have done is 2nd by 7 secs. The problem with these muscle cars is , although you can tune them up to go real fast, my Shelby flies, even with good suspension and diff tunes, they are very hard to control properly. I have run 10's and 11,s with the cobra, but the big blockers are difficult to pass on the speedway. This will be a great seasonal, good luck all.
Was trying to avoid using a race car to win, but, the mark iv won all easily for me. Now to try and win all in the cobra. GVSpeedway is very challenging with a standard car. This is a great seasonal.

have now won all races with Corvette Stingray, Mach 1 stang, and two different de-tuned race cars. The stingray is a bit of a handful at times and the mach1 is awesome, really quick.Race cars are, as expected, easy.

Last edited:
I've managed to tune a 427 to win these easy you can find my Cobra 427 '66 tune in my garage. be nice to her or she will spin you out and land you in the wall. It's got the power and grace to win. I honestly felt like I was crusing rather than racing with most of the tracks. Toscona needs to be drivin hard same with GV. I did have to resort to SRF on GV to win it and a driving line in SSR5 and Toscana to help keep my line and speed up.

Sorry if this is a repeat, but in the Gran Valley Race you want the Z28 '69 as the rabbit because it's slower than the Corvette rabbits by roughly 4-5 seconds. This allowed me to win with the 2D. I'm using a different tune than the one posted by Dr Clark above. Giulietta let me borrow his 2D and I used his tune which has been the reason for winning 4 of the races. I'm about to try the dreaded Nurg race now. If you'd like me to post the 2D tune I'm using feel free to post or message me a request and I'd be happy to do so!

Grand valley done with 2D. Few seconds ahead.

Setup:
TCS 3
ASM off
ABS 1

Tires sport mid

Aero 43 60
Balast 200 0
Engine 50%

Max speed 265 km/h

Ride high -20 -20

Camber 2.0 1.0
Toe -0.20 0.20

Other settings default. My rabbit was Corvette. I think TCS 3 is the key. It allows to take turns without speed loss.

Other races won on the 3rd lap.
Nurb 8 sec ahead.

Last edited:
Great tunes here, guys, thanks for sharing.

No doubt winning is important, but sometimes how we play the game plays a part in our enjoyment. Trying clean overtakes on each of the AI and doing it proficiently, one by one, and even sometimes sweeping past a group that is doing their best to block you can be quite exciting and provides a 'racing rush' that is immensely satisfying.

After crushing ar Toscana by over 30 seconds I had to share Giulietta's tune for the 2D with everyone. Not sure if he came up with it or got it from somewhere else, but it rocks. I recently found out how great the 2J is, but IMHO I think the 2D is even better because of how well it handles. You'd never know it's a 1960's car by the way it drives. It's now my favorite 500PP car and I can't wait to try it at a higher PP level with some racing tires!

You should be able to get everything needed for the tune in the setting sheet I've uploaded here, except the tranny top speed setting which is 174mph (and will show 177mph up top in your tranny setup window). If you like this tune as much as I do, give a shout out to Giulietta73. Enjoy!

Edit: Just realized this tune is pretty darned close to stock. Duh! Sorry, my bad. It's the thought that counts right? Anyway, right after posting this the first time, I tried the Nurg and for the first time ever it was an easy victory with the 2D. Actually every race in this seasonal is easy with the 2D, and I'm not nearly as good as 99% of the racers that on this site, so that says even more about how bad-@ss this car is.

Regardless, if anyone out there doesn't have a 2D I'll happily put it on share for you. Just send me a PM here and a PS3 FR to chrisdittmer (same as here). Have a great weekend everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Late on this one today, but here's my crack at it:

Oink, on the Toscana custom you have almost no glare at all! How is that possible? When I go through that section of the track I cannot see ANYTHING beyond about 15-20ft in front of my car! I have to go slowly through there or I end up in the rails. I have to drive by the mini map because I just can't see! I've always HATED Toscana tracks because of the glare problem. Now I'm feeling like I've missed out on a lot of cool tracks because obviously there's a way to turn down the glare. :(

Sark

Oink, on the Toscana custom you have almost no glare at all! How is that possible? When I go through that section of the track I cannot see ANYTHING beyond about 15-20ft in front of my car! I have to go slowly through there or I end up in the rails. I have to drive by the mini map because I just can't see! I've always HATED Toscana tracks because of the glare problem. Now I'm feeling like I've missed out on a lot of cool tracks because obviously there's a way to turn down the glare. :(

Sark
Hmm, no settings have been changed that I know of on my end. You sure you got your brightness settings right?

Hmm, no settings have been changed that I know of on my end. You sure you got your brightness settings right?

After making the post about this I went into the settings to see what I could find. I had my exposure set all the way down because I don't particularly like having my retinas burned out. I turned it all the way up and now I can see perfectly on Toscana but the colors are washed out now. I used the Camaro Z28 RM '69 for this event and on the Toscana track I was really hurting on times though I did manage to get first with the Camaro Z28 '69 rabbit. Now that I'm able to see I've got a best lap of 1:53.963. I took the lead on the very end of the second lap, right at the line, against the Vette rabbit and finish almost 15 seconds ahead.

Sark

After making the post about this I went into the settings to see what I could find. I had my exposure set all the way down because I don't particularly like having my retinas burned out. I turned it all the way up and now I can see perfectly on Toscana but the colors are washed out now. I used the Camaro Z28 RM '69 for this event and on the Toscana track I was really hurting on times though I did manage to get first with the Camaro Z28 '69 rabbit. Now that I'm able to see I've got a best lap of 1:53.963. I took the lead on the very end of the second lap, right at the line, against the Vette rabbit and finish almost 15 seconds ahead.

Sark
I always find that a setting of +2 for exposure works very well at all Toscana tracks. The screen still seems quite bright but the glare is gone entirely and actually I now leave it at that for almost all tracks except the night races..

I was fishtailing too much for the 350R, but it looks like one of the better cars for the race. I never did like Mustangs for that reason. Anyway, ran it at 491 PP with all removable add ons except the blower.

Use Praiano's tune on the Shelby GT350. It makes all the difference. TC to 1 or off, you don't have to worry about spin with his tune. I have ABS at 1, SRF on but that's it. The car is stable, fast and can win them all. I just about got the first one, Grand Valley I guess, but missed the pass before the tunnel. Toscana was within reach but I lost it on a turn near the end. The other three were easy with the GT350.

As an aside, Praiano always says to adjust final drive to the track. Well, on Grand Valley, that doesn't work. My lap times were much better with his stock setting as opposed to raising the final drive and getting lower top speed but better, supposedly, acceleration. I had laps as low as 1:09 but couldn't manage close to that with the FD raised.

69 Camaro winning three races so far, seems even better than the detuned RM Camaro. GrandValley proving tough, can't get a good 1st lap, only 1:14s and then can't catch the rabbit, need 1:11s and a 5:55. Maybe try the other detuned race cars as a last resort.

Nah, the 63 Stingray Racecar couldn't, the GT40 couldn't. A '69 Corvette Convertible with Stage 2 weight and Stage 1 engine, and most important, the carbon driveshaft, finally did the trick, a .009 sec win. Great fun.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The Chaparral 2D can be tuned down to meet the PP limit. I was able to win all but GV where I have come within 3 tenths. I used the stock setup, full ballast too a 50 50 balance

Camber 2/1.5
Toe -0.15/.-0.05
BB 3/7
Shaved a bit off both downforce to make room to add a bit of HP

.Still tweaking in tiny bits but 4 good laps out of 5 should get the win, I need more practice 'cause 2 sub-par laps won't get it done.

Once I conquer GV I'll post my tunes.
I don't like racing out of class cars. I prefer the intent of the race.I used my preferred Stingray L46 and had the rabbit in the 4th lap started on Trail Mountain.

Was trying to avoid using a race car to win, but, the mark iv won all easily for me. Now to try and win all in the cobra. GVSpeedway is very challenging with a standard car. This is a great seasonal.

have now won all races with Corvette Stingray, Mach 1 stang, and two different de-tuned race cars. The stingray is a bit of a handful at times and the mach1 is awesome, really quick.Race cars are, as expected, easy.
I will not use a race car unless I must, and I don't think it will be needed. The only non-removable items I like to use is the Chassis Reinforcement.

I found another day to play the game. I just finish coming oh-so-close with the Stingray in Grand Valley. I did this with all removable add-ons except the blower. I just added the blower, and removed the ECU and trimmed the level of Intake and Exhaust parts to the 500PP. Going to try again after I record my day 1082 to 1086 UCD cars.

Use Praiano's tune on the Shelby GT350.
I may try it is I get frustrated with the Stingray. I found his 427 tune that trims weight. I prefer to not trim weight and if I try his, I was thinking of applying it to the 350 with minor adjustments as needed... and no ballast.

Tried Grand Valley with a Race Runed 69 Camaro but couldn't quite get the times to beat the regular 69 Camaro.

Switched to the Ford Mark IV race car and won fairly easily in all the races. Didn't really change much, just a tiny bit of ballast to bring the PP down and adjusted the gear ratio's.

Grand Valley was definitely a good challenge.

I will not use a race car unless I must, and I don't think it will be needed. The only non-removable items I like to use is the Chassis Reinforcement.

I found another day to play the game. I just finish coming oh-so-close with the Stingray in Grand Valley. I did this with all removable add-ons except the blower. I just added the blower, and removed the ECU and trimmed the level of Intake and Exhaust parts to the 500PP. Going to try again after I record my day 1082 to 1086 UCD cars.
Have now won all races with Cobra, Stingray and Mach 1 Stang, as well as two different de-tuned race cars. What I found most challenging was Toscana in the Cobra. This car is a hoot to drive, but some of the corners on this track are tricky in a "slippery"Cobra. Also, the Camaro rabbit in this race has some serious problems with being overtaken by the cobra. Everytime I overtook it for the win, it came flying back, at astonishing speed, and smashed me off the track while braking for the next corner. Must have happened 6 or 8 times, then disappeared off into the distance much faster than I could drive. Amazing really. I basically had to wait for the final corner, then overtake and run like hell to the finish line..................It did not exhibit the same behaviour with any other car that I raced against it? And no, I wasn't driving like a demolishion derby, quite sedate really.Overall, a great seasonal, lots of fun and a good challenge, but winnable.

Have now played around with tunes for the Cobra for toscana, and got it to the stage of overtaking the rabbit on the third lap, with times in the 55 range. This thing flies and now handles great with full power slides on most corners seemingly the quickest way round. Awesome fun. If anyone wants to borrow it for a thrash, online id Elmer_Fudd_63 cheers

Last edited:
I may try it is I get frustrated with the Stingray. I found his 427 tune that trims weight. I prefer to not trim weight and if I try his, I was thinking of applying it to the 350 with minor adjustments as needed... and no ballast.
Spent some time yesterday and got them all with the GT350. I almost beat the Corvette on Toscana, lost by 1.8 seconds, but backed out and finally got the Camaro. It wasn't much of a challenge so I may go back and try against the Corvette again. Ditto for Grand Valley.
The funny thing is that Praiano came up with another set of tranny numbers when I asked him about it. The new ones seem to affect the whole car, not just the acceleration. The car floats a lot more, maybe it's going faster, but the old settings worked best, for me anyway. The GT350 is on share if anyone wants to borrow it. Name is the same as here.

Have now won all races with Cobra, Stingray and Mach 1 Stang, as well as two different de-tuned race cars. What I found most challenging was Toscana in the Cobra. This car is a hoot to drive, but some of the corners on this track are tricky in a "slippery"Cobra. Also, the Camaro rabbit in this race has some serious problems with being overtaken by the cobra. Everytime I overtook it for the win, it came flying back, at astonishing speed, and smashed me off the track while braking for the next corner. Must have happened 6 or 8 times, then disappeared off into the distance much faster than I could drive. Amazing really. I basically had to wait for the final corner, then overtake and run like hell to the finish line..................It did not exhibit the same behaviour with any other car that I raced against it? And no, I wasn't driving like a demolishion derby, quite sedate really.Overall, a great seasonal, lots of fun and a good challenge, but winnable.

I noticed that some of the AI were extremely aggressive. I'll try the Cobra at Toscana to experience the fun. The GT350 worked for me on all five. It's a superb car, at least with Praiano's tune. I agree, it was a good seasonal. Just enough of a challenge to keep you interested but not crazy tough like the Tokyo Lambo event. I will miss these events.

WOW!

I thought I was going nuts! Try as I might - I just could "first" these races. It is somewhat comforting to hear others are being just as challenged as I am. I'll stick to it and try some of these tunes.

About two months ago - lightning struck my PS3 and I lost all my data - including all my cars. Sony replaced my unit - but couldn't recover my data. My garage is limited - but I will try the RM Camaro and Chap 2D and see how it goes.

Thanks to the hints here, GV finally went down with a '69 Z28 Camaro RM. The rest of the race were one shot affairs - except Nur which took a 2nd try after a gearing tweak to overtake the Stingray in the final straight.
Much appreciated praiano and lion's den for your tuning efforts and shares!

WOW!

I thought I was going nuts! Try as I might - I just could "first" these races. It is somewhat comforting to hear others are being just as challenged as I am. I'll stick to it and try some of these tunes.

About two months ago - lightning struck my PS3 and I lost all my data - including all my cars. Sony replaced my unit - but couldn't recover my data. My garage is limited - but I will try the RM Camaro and Chap 2D and see how it goes.
Tell me what you need and I'll try to gift you the cars. The easiest way, and the fastest, is to learn the 'borrow glitch' trick and you can get as many cars as your friends share in an hour or so. We can only gift one per day but the glitch has no limits.
For everyone else, I am not much better than an average driver but this seasonal wasn't that bad. Tune your GT350 with Priaiano's tune and you'll win them all. You will have to have perfect laps but that's the learning process, isn't it?

I have decided to take a crack at the Nurburgring race with an assortment of the classic muscle cars that are eligible for this Seasonal, so the following is a list of the cars that I have used so far to win the 'Ring race and their basic spec's:

Car used for the Ring race...... HP. Wgt. PPV
---------------------------------- ---- ----- ------
Shelby GT350R '65..................252 1350 428
Chevy Camaro SS '69...............257 1450 430
Corvette Stingray L46 350 '69...260 1435 433
Dodge Charger SuperBee '71.....294 1690 435
Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71..........248 1490 437
Dodge Challenger R/T '70.........273 1585 440
Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack.....288 1470 451

The Plymouth Cuda handles pretty well, but seems to be aero drag-limited, so even though it has more horsepower than all of the rest, it doesn't get up to full-speed as quickly, so its a bit of a dog in comparison to the other cars so far.

The Corvette Stingray L46 350 is handles decently and is pretty fast. Interestingly, it has a hard time with the Karussell. It washes up in the middle of the Karussell so you have reduce your entry speed to the Karussell and need to be very gentle with the throttle as you go thru the turn.

The Chevy Camaro SS handles pretty well, so I expect to be able to win with slightly lower horsepower once I get some more time to run the 'Ring again.

The Dodge Charger SuperBee 426 '71 handles pretty well even though its a real heavy-weight.:eek: My last race was won by just over 1 second, so I might be able to take off some horsepower and give it a few more chances to lower the PPvalue.

All of the above cars could win the 'Ring race with a slightly lower PPvalue if driven by a better driver than me.:bowdown:

Great fun!
GTsail

Last edited:
Back