• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 64 comments

PeterJB

Compulsive Handwasher
Premium
United Kingdom
Corsham
lipming
What would you say are your favourite pieces of Classical Music?

Some of mine would be:

Bach - Six Cello Suites
Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
Barber - Adagio For Strings
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata
Beethoven - Symphony No. 6 in F
Britten - Young Persons Guide To The Orchestra
Debussy - Clair De Lune
Elgar - Cello Concerto in E Minor
Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G Minor
Saint-Saens - Cello Concerto No.1 in A Minor
Saint-Saens - The Swan

What a great "off topic" thread, refers to Gran Turismo 4 l0l when I really got into the classical stuff. The classic tracks sound so new but they're ancient, true classic stuff.

I always loved Claude Debussy - La fille aux cheveux de lin I even race to it, when I hear it and I'm racing I just think to myself damn, "The art of Gran Turismo." the beauty of it all...it's such a soothing piece of music

Um, no mention of Rachmaninoff in a classical music thread? Srsly, WTF?

It just happens that I don't like his music very much. Even the widely acclaimed 2nd Piano Concerto.

I don’t care too much for his 2nd Concerto either, but his 3rd… I could listen to that all day. Especially when played by Vladamir Horowitz.

Not exactly classical, but Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" is excellent. I love the electronica versions of it as well, mainly Tiësto's.

I have so many to name!
Tchaicovsky- Chanson Triste <-------- (hope i spelled right)
Beethoven- The 7th symphony
Bach- Toccata and fugue in D minor <------ Duh, it's brilliant
Beethoven- Fur elise
Mozart- The little minuet Suite.

:lol: That's fantastic 👍

My music collection is extremely light on classical music - only have a few individual tracks, and one double CD of Beethoven, of which the his 7th is my favourite...

"But only hands small!" :lol:

I've got about a gig of classical on iTunes, though I'm familiar with much more than that. The Planets and Carmina Burana are the only complete symphonies/operas I have, but I do have a CD of Rachmaninov's four piano concertos, and I also have Shostakovich's Jazz Suites. I've also got a lot of brass groups, including a Doc Severinsen and the Summit Brass album, the Mozart album by Canadian Brass, and a Four of A Kind album. And then there's seven CDs for each of my PMEA (Pa. Music Educators' Association) festivals back in high school. A lot of it is more of the contemporary classical genre, but there's also some classics such as Holst's First Military Suite in E-flat and the Unfinished Symphony.

And then there's DCI of course. :D Anyone else a fan?

Touring mars, My favorite is the 7th symphony too!! I think it's Flipping Brilliant. I love 11:43 - 14:45. That part is grrreat! :cheers:

Touring mars, My favorite is the 7th symphony too!! I think it's Flipping Brilliant. I love 11:43 - 14:45. That part is grrreat! :cheers:
👍 The second movement is my favourite part as well. I first heard it in the film "Zardoz" and loved it ever since. I'm also a big fan of Stravinksy's Firebird Suite:

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I do wish it were more popular, because I think classical music is underappreciated in modern times. People may very well simply not care for it these days, but I suspect that the reason that people no longer listen to it often is because it's perceived as being "uncool."

I don't have or want a portable music player, but when I do listen to music, it's always classical. Actually, I suppose that it would frequently be better described as "faux" classical, because two of my favorite works are the Barber Adagio (the original, not a remix) and the Albinoni Adagio (which has very little to do with Albinoni and was really composed in the 1950s). I also love the Holberg Suite by Grieg (particularly the Gavotte and the Air), Dvorak's Serenade for Strings, and Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings. It probably shouldn't be surprising that I've played each of those pieces in my high school orchestra class; somehow, I come to like music much more when I've played it.

I appreciate classic for what it is and how it heavily shaped what I listen to (metal) into what it is today. Although I don't listen to it much.. But some of the really dark classical that overloaded the orchestra with bass is absolutely brilliant.

I also like Beethoven's 7th. As much as I adore classical music, like with TM, this is almost an untapped area of music for me as well. I have liked Mozart since I was young, and I have really liked Bach last few years.

I was forced into classical piano when I was young, and as result, I stayed away from them for sometime. I never hated it, but really, the rock genre is just so vast, what can I say, it takes a lot of your time. :sly:

Ages ago, when I was a kid, I used to think that classical music was for old people and listened only to pop/rock music. I was probably right, because now that I'm an old man I find myself enjoying it a lot, though I still listen mainly to other stuff. I "discover" classical music mainly through cinema and there are a few movie soundtracks I listen to quite often (Barry Lyndon and Match Point, for instance).
My favourite classical piece has got to be the Adagietto from Maller's 5th symphony. I guess this is probably many people's favourite too, as it's such an overwhelming piece of music...

RUI
Ages ago, when I was a kid, I used to think that classical music was for old people and listened only to pop/rock music...
I like both classical and rock and pop. In fact, I am just recently becoming interested in pop music, and rock was my long-time favorite. Classical came in somewhere in the middle, though I don't listen to it as much as the others.

I'm more a fan of movie composers as opposed to "real" classical composers, though you could argue that people like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc... will be looked back on in 100 years the same way we look back on Bach, Brahms, Tchaikovsky etc...
I do really enjoy my "John Williams" station on Pandora which plays all sorts of classical music.

I found this piece on Youtube. The video is an hour long, but the particular piece I like starts at the very beginning. "O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

I'm more a fan of movie composers as opposed to "real" classical composers, though you could argue that people like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, etc... will be looked back on in 100 years the same way we look back on Bach, Brahms, Tchaikovsky etc...
I do really enjoy my "John Williams" station on Pandora which plays all sorts of classical music.

I found this piece on Youtube. The video is an hour long, but the particular piece I like starts at the very beginning. "O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

The soprano towards the end, she was great. Amazing control, just beautiful. 👍

I'm not a classic music expert at all but months ago I saw in TV a show of Uto Ughi and after a few minutes I just fall in love with his style of playing.

^^start playing about at 2:30

I may not listen to classical a lot (but I do sometimes), but I am a big fan of neoclassical rock / metal.

And for the guys (or girls) that would like to watch a good japanese drama that has classical music as it's theme, Nodame Cantabile increased my interest in classical music.

Rachmaninov is music which takes discovering. At first, you may pass it by with disinterest. But in time you may discover how set apart it is from everything else. I've struggled to find any composer to match what I see in Rachmaninov's music.

For me one of the things which sets him apart somewhat is how strong he was in several areas. He's considered one of the greatest composers, one of the greatest pianists, was a renowned conductor in his time. Furthermore, compositionally I find he has a greater all-round command of the instruments. Chopin wrote ground-breaking piano pieces, but I find his orchestral composing to be lacking. Similarly with Liszt; a brilliant pianist and composer for piano, but limited orchestrally.

Any instrument or arrangement that Rachmaninov applied himself to, he excelled in. His Etudes-Tableux and Preludes are some of the greatest of the Romantic period. His Piano Concertos #2 and #3 are considered among the finest ever written. His Vespers (for choir) is a surprise find, and a real treat, among his music. The Sonata for Cello & Piano is one of my favourites. And most of all, his 2nd Symphony is possibly outright my favourite piece of music, of any genre, ever.

So go listen to Rachmaninov!

Apart from that, I like Scribin, Liszt, Bach (organ works). Mozart can be enjoyable as a relaxing escape!

I was first into rock when growing up, so apart from Classical, over the years I've been into Blur, Radiohead, Muse, Joe Satriani, System of a Down.

Last edited:
Ahhh what a great thread! Was just about creating one for classical music myself, but luckely found this one.
Here are my two contributions:

I am obsessed with Baroque music. The sound, the cheefulness, the joy of these concerts. Listening to them and trying to place myself in that point in time, where this music was composed per orders from royalty, maybe for joyous occasions, festivals and many of them specially for religious reasons. Man, I LOVE baroque music. It's definitely not the most popular era I think, but you can definitely identify how the genre was evolving over time. Listen to Corelli and then to Bach, you'll see what I'm talking about.

J. S. Bach
Arcangelo Corelli
Giovanni Platti
Antonio Vivaldi
Tomaso Albinoni
Alessandro Marcello
Georg Philip Telemann

I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes on these fine men's names.

Back