Classical MusicMusic 

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 64 comments
Here is something I bet nobody here has ever heard before - Chopin (who wrote almost exclusively for the pianoforte) arranged for an orchestra of 25 pianos, guitars, strings, horns and percussion.

I find it tasteful and restrained, as well as conveying plenty of emotion. What do you think?

Ten etudes, preludes, fantasie, march and procession.

Last edited:
Here is something I bet nobody here has ever heard before - Chopin (who wrote almost exclusively for the pianoforte) arranged for an orchestra of 25 pianos, guitars, strings, horns and percussion.

I find it tasteful and restrained, as well as conveying plenty of emotion. What do you think?

Ten etudes, preludes, fantasie, march and procession.

I'm assuming 25 pianos is a typo as there definitely aren't that many in this!

Chopin's piano works are popular ones for orchestrators and arrangers to mess around with, as well as Debussy. I've orchestrated the Military Polonaise and the Grand Valse Brilliante myself.

I'm assuming 25 pianos is a typo as there definitely aren't that many in this!

Chopin's piano works are popular ones for orchestrators and arrangers to mess around with, as well as Debussy. I've orchestrated the Military Polonaise and the Grand Valse Brilliante myself.
Right. There are a total of 25 musicians in this orchestra. In your opinion, how do these arrangements stack up?

Right. There are a total of 25 musicians in this orchestra. In your opinion, how do these arrangements stack up?

This is a style and ensemble I would feel pretty lost trying to emulate, as my arrangements are usually symphony orchestras in a cinematic style, but it definitely has that 60s feel, I could hear it as a backing band for someone like The Carpenters.

617742068924.jpg

St Giles Cripplegate

The album is titled for the place where it was performed, having great echo acoustics. It is a collection of six symphonic pieces, performed by the 100 piece London Symphony Orchestra, growing out of Nitzsche's work for Neil Young's Harvest, and has "a wonderfully schizoid quality, balancing beautiful cinematic movements with a flair for the avant-garde."

Jack Nitzsche, was an American musician (sax and piano), arranger, songwriter, composer, and record producer. He first came to prominence in the early 1960s as the right-hand-man of producer Phil Spector and went on to work with the Rolling Stones and Neil Young, among others. He also worked extensively in film scores, notably for films such as Performance, The Exorcist and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. In 1983, he won the Academy Award and Golden Globe for Officer and a Gentleman, Best Original Song for co-writing "Up Where We Belong".

This piece was dedicated to his fencing instructor at the Mori Academy at Hollywood.

Back