Clio Cup, snap oversteer, Donington.PS4 

@Johnnypenso thanks for the info. So there is a potential 2.8sec to knock off. I need to be a little braver and switch to manual gears too.

@HBR-Roadhog also thanks for your input. I'm not the fastest driver by a long way and don't have a huge amount of experience with a real sim like this.

Hopefully with it being a Bankholiday weekend in the UK I'll get a bit more track time.
Manual gears will help a lot once you get used to them, as they give you far, far more control over everything.

With a sim (as in reality) you need to almost plan each corner in terms of starting speed, braking point, cornering speed, acceleration point; once you start to build that pattern for each corner then the track starts to develop its own rhythm and you will find that you can start gently pushing each part of each corner and as a result find speed and reduce lap times.

I'm quite a smooth driver in terms of the way I drive. I also treat the game as if it was real, I find I enjoy it more that way.

I've been reading as much about Brans GP as possible to see how other drivers tackle the corners, breaking points etc and from what I've been reading and watching I'm naturally using the same things they are apart from Paddock, Surtees, Hawthorn and Clark as I don't have the bottle to throw it in and try and hold it. :)

@Johnnypenso thanks for the info. So there is a potential 2.8sec to knock off. I need to be a little braver and switch to manual gears too.

@HBR-Roadhog also thanks for your input. I'm not the fastest driver by a long way and don't have a huge amount of experience with a real sim like this.

Hopefully with it being a Bankholiday weekend in the UK I'll get a bit more track time.

I'm quite a smooth driver in terms of the way I drive. I also treat the game as if it was real, I find I enjoy it more that way.

I've been reading as much about Brans GP as possible to see how other drivers tackle the corners, breaking points etc and from what I've been reading and watching I'm naturally using the same things they are apart from Paddock, Surtees, Hawthorn and Clark as I don't have the bottle to throw it in and try and hold it. :)
Brands is a very tough track to be consistent on. Unlike flatter, smoother tracks it's hard to see the apexes on some corners, and small mistakes in braking points often lead to running over a curb you don't want to, or swinging a little wide and in PCars a couple of the runoffs are not very friendly if you're on the edge.

I don't know those names on that leaderboard, but the results seem fairly close which is usually a good sign that it's competitive and the times are competitive. Being 2.8 seconds back is pretty good given that you're still using auto and still learning the nuances of the game. In most Gran Turismo TT's with 10's of thousands of entries, a 2.8 second gap would often keep you in the top 200 in the world so it's not too bad at all. Keeping your tires in the right temperature ranges is key also. If you're overheating them it'll be tough to climb the leaderboard.

Brands is a very tough track to be consistent on. Unlike flatter, smoother tracks it's hard to see the apexes on some corners, and small mistakes in braking points often lead to running over a curb you don't want to, or swinging a little wide and in PCars a couple of the runoffs are not very friendly if you're on the edge.

I don't know those names on that leaderboard, but the results seem fairly close which is usually a good sign that it's competitive and the times are competitive. Being 2.8 seconds back is pretty good given that you're still using auto and still learning the nuances of the game. In most Gran Turismo TT's with 10's of thousands of entries, a 2.8 second gap would often keep you in the top 200 in the world so it's not too bad at all. Keeping your tires in the right temperature ranges is key also. If you're overheating them it'll be tough to climb the leaderboard.

Funny enough tire temp hasn't been a problem. I seem to be able to keep constant heat without going too far in the front. The rear is a different matter and is taking around 10 laps to get the rear left up but rear right is always below optimal. I'm guessing because I'm pushing so hard I spend most of my time on three wheels. :D

I agree about the Apexs being blind. This is why I want to learn the correct turn in points so I can have faith that as long as my entry speed and turn in are fine hopefully I come out the other side unscathed and at the correct exit speed.

With GT I never saw the need or really wanted to learn the tracks one at a time and really get the most from correct track lines as it never seemed as important for the racing. There was never an incentive to do it unlike Pcars.

Funny enough tire temp hasn't been a problem. I seem to be able to keep constant heat without going too far in the front. The rear is a different matter and is taking around 10 laps to get the rear left up but rear right is always below optimal. I'm guessing because I'm pushing so hard I spend most of my time on three wheels. :D

I agree about the Apexs being blind. This is why I want to learn the correct turn in points so I can have faith that as long as my entry speed and turn in are fine hopefully I come out the other side unscathed and at the correct exit speed.

With GT I never saw the need or really wanted to learn the tracks one at a time and really get the most from correct track lines as it never seemed as important for the racing. There was never an incentive to do it unlike Pcars.
The importance of practice session in pCars can never be overstated.

For me they are utterly vital for the exact reasons you have outlined.

A little late to the party but to cure out the lift off oversteer put Limited Slip Deceleration Lock to 25% (default 10%). This is essential to me at Oulton Park (especially the downhill lefthander).

1:38.446 is the top time with 21 drivers under 1:40. 112 total entries.
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1988984740&vehicle=3646257473

Good advice. Sometimes the transmission is the easiest and quickest way to balance the car in corners. Timing your gear changes on the fly can help encourage over or understeer and help stabilize the car in sometimes unstable corners.

I assume that leaderboard is just pc players? I wish we could filter by car as opposed to class on console. The fastest cleo I can find at brandshatch on xbone is a 1:40.000. Some of the cars above me are listed as --- so I don't know what they are but just counting the cleo's I can confirm that puts me at 5th place with a 1:41.6. My front left keeps going red hot so I'm hoping w a little tuning I can even out the load and break the 1:40 mark.

swg
I assume that leaderboard is just pc players? I wish we could filter by car as opposed to class on console. The fastest cleo I can find at brandshatch on xbone is a 1:40.000. Some of the cars above me are listed as --- so I don't know what they are but just counting the cleo's I can confirm that puts me at 5th place with a 1:41.6. My front left keeps going red hot so I'm hoping w a little tuning I can even out the load and break the 1:40 mark.
I didn't know you can't filter by car on console...that sucks. I believe the physics are equal between the platforms so it gives you an idea of what is possible with the car.

For the setup gurus, please note that the model in Project CARS is the 2014 model, which differs on several points from the 2013 model. Haven't been able to locate a manual so far...

I don't think you can find one for 2014, as the 2014 year based on where I got the manual from, uses same specs as 2013 and uses same manual.

The UK Clio Cup series still uses MK3 cars ( 2009-2012 ) ( Michelin Cup ), I think the BTCC support series uses MK4 :)

http://cliocupseries.co.uk/overview/technical-specification/

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back