can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
apmcheader_023.png

This week's theme in detail, brought to you by Giulietta73:

"This week's theme is dedicated to Leeislee and is ALL about the COMPOSITION. Its something that is either often overlooked or painstakingly taken care of. Whenever anyone PMs me about my pics, I always send them over to @leeislee 's composition tutorial HERE. This post of pure wisdom began to unlock things for me (eternal thanks Lee!👍). So please go there, have a read, (marvel at Lee's awesome shots!)take a few notes and choose one of the compositional rules for your shot: 'rule of thirds', 'centre guide', 'Fibonacci' or 'Golden Diagonal'. And please tell us which you have chosen when you post your entry. The rest is wide open - any car/s/no car at all, any location. We've had a few themes that have pushed us all to our limits. I hope you'll push yourselves with this one.👍"

CARS: Any or none
LOCATIONS: Any (yes, even the moon!)
PHOTOTRAVEL: Yes, for SHINY only
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: Must look at @leeislee 's tutorial here and choose one of the compositional rules: 'rule of thirds', 'centre guide', 'Fibonacci' or 'Golden Diagonal'. And have fun!:)

apmc_rules-png.87106

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
This Thread will answer many possible questions you may have.

• It is recommended you host your image on ImageShack, Photobucket, or Flickr.
  • Not sure how to post a thumbnail or preview image? Read this sticky!
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it;
    it makes poll creation much easier!
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • Do not ask other users to choose your entry.
  • Absolutely no hybrid, hacked cars, or cars obtained through such means.
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text. On H2H weeks, which side, as well.
    Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
    [COLOR="Red"]FINAL ENTRY[/COLOR]
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and
    either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • When submitting, use either a thumbnail or a preview image, linked to the full-sizer.
  • Preview images can not exceed 500 pixels in either direction.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Winner gets to choose the following week's theme, as well as the Top 20. Every fourth
    week, the poll will be H2H style: entries must choose a "team", leading to two 10-picture,
    4-day polls. The winners from each faces off in a final 48 hour poll.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
  • The Host may ask for the original image and it must be submitted if so.
    It's recommended to save the original image (preferably in-game) until week's ends.
Failure to follow these rules will result in ignored entries and/or disqualification!

apmc_editing-png.87107

What you may not do to a photo:
  • Alter the geometry of the car. No stickers, or body modifications not available in game.
  • Add shapes or objects from outside of GT5, signatures excepted.
  • Tying into the above: signatures only, no image titles or other typographic elements.
  • Add lens flares or "artistic" filters to image.
  • Remove items from shot (scenery, other cars).
  • Use more than 1 image (HDR, photo-stitching, multi-exposure).
  • "Creative cropping". The main "image" must be four-sided, with 90-degree, upright corners.
  • Selective car colour changing: masking different parts to create racing stripes or similar.

What you may do to a photo:
  • Crop and/or resize an image.
  • Adjust the level or curve values.
  • Alter the colour tone of the image (gradient maps, photo filters, colour balance, etc).
  • Car body colour change (all stickers/design features must remain, see "Remove Items" rule).
  • Adjust brightness, contrast, exposure, shadow/highlights.
  • Enhance shadows or highlights (dodge and burn tools in Photoshop, for example).
  • Add noise and/or diffuse glow.
  • Add a post-game tilt-shift blur, or apply a motion blur to a stationary Photomode shot.
  • Make use of Layer Blend Modes.
  • Use a Sharpening filter and/or tool.
  • Remove or modify license plates - it must be hand-drawn, no importing real ones.
  • Remove the GT watermark.
  • Add a personal signature.
  • Clean up or fix jaggies, texture pixelation, or colour separation.
  • Add a vignette effect.
apmc_deadline-png.87108

[20.00 GMT]

Great, great theme, Eric! :)👍 Congratulations on the win! :cheers:

Shout-out to Lee, thanks a lot for the tutorials, they have helped all of us! Composition is the magic tool in all art! :bowdown:

Interesting theme for sure..

But there is A downside to composition rules. They create rather generic looking pictures - A beutiful picture, But at the same time one feels "i have seen this before". sometimes people tend to rate pictures of how well it follows the rules rather that artistic impression and intuitivity.

I prefer pictures that feel personal. Composition might be off but theres A detail in the picture. Maybe A funny one or intelligent. Maybe something that is totally out of place But still feels strangely at place.

Do you guys usually vote for the story one can see in the picture or for the technical execution of the picture? I have noticed its not too often I vote for the winning picture..

But there is A downside to composition rules. They create rather generic looking pictures - A beutiful picture, But at the same time one feels "i have seen this before". sometimes people tend to rate pictures of how well it follows the rules rather that artistic impression and intuitivity.

I prefer pictures that feel personal. Composition might be off but theres A detail in the picture. Maybe A funny one or intelligent. Maybe something that is totally out of place But still feels strangely at place.

Do you guys usually vote for the story one can see in the picture or for the technical execution of the picture? I have noticed its not too often I vote for the winning picture..

But without the standard compositional basis, one cannot start experimenting with new angles. Story is obviously very, very important but that is also very much related to composition. A completely technically incorrect composition is extremely rarely any good.

Ahhhhh thanks for all the kind words Eric!!!

Everyone's tastes are different....i can bet you right now that any photo you share that you like the feel of still follows a rule of composition...So without you knowing it you still like the values composition instill on a photo.

As i state in the tutorial...in ALL of my tutorials, rules can be broken to great effect, my way isn't the only way and so on.

also, by stating that a shot that follows a certain compositional sense leaves you feeling like you've seen it before is a terrible way to view photos in my opinion.

I could show you countless GTPhotomode pictures that have a massive story to them yet follow certain "Rules".

Just to recap....They're guidelines (literally) that can be used or ignored.

It's not always a case of thinking you can only use a certain group of rules otherwise you're going to creat a terrible photo. Often it's good to view a photo in a compositional sense while you're taking it and then tweeking it to taste or to include something else...they really aren't rules, just how the human brain likes to compartmentalize things.

Anyway, that's my opinion, i'm often, if not always wrong.

Follow your heart!

Last edited:

But without the standard compositional basis, one cannot start experimenting with new angles. Story is obviously very, very important but that is also very much related to composition. A completely technically incorrect composition is extremely rarely any good.

I agree with both of you. What I'm exploring is your thinking behind your shots. And if you have not messed about with composition in this calculated kind of a way, then give it a go. But I'm also banking on you guys interpreting the rules in your own inimitable ways and producing great shots where the foundations can be 'loosely' seen.👍;)

I may not be able to enter this one cus I finally took my PS3 apart to finish it and it turns out I need to order a part and I won't get the part til Tuesday, but that's a bummer cus this is a great theme and I'm a film student so I'm all about the composition stuff, lol, maybe I have a picture on my computer though, I'll see. Great theme, composition is important! :cheers:

FINAL ENTRY
The Fibonacci Spiral

I honestly don't know if this counts, I took this a while back and thought that after reading the composition tutorial that this seemed to apply to the rule of Fibonacci Spiral. Maybe it doesn't, but I like it. But if need be, let me know if it needs to be changed at all.

Last edited:
The Fibonacci Spiral

I honestly don't know if this counts, I took this a while back and thought that after reading the composition tutorial that this seemed to apply to the rule of Fibonacci Spiral. Maybe it doesn't, but I like it. But if need be, let me know if it needs to be changed at all.

Edit: Not my final entry, will decide tomorrow. 👍
That's cool. Just make sure your entry is resized to 500px across:tup:

Composition is the first thing I look in a shot. If I have 2 shots that I like, the element that will decide my vote is composition. :)

BTW, Lee's tutorial is Great. :cheers:

And Garret's shot is already a stunner. ;)

You know it just occurred to me that one of the simplest things PD could do to help out Jr photographers would be to add a super simple "composition guide" option to the camera view.

Y u no do this Kaz?

I really like to think that I was composing by the Fibonacci Spiral but more and more I look at my photo I think I just used rule of the thirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back