Cockpit or Not

saskman1950
I was watching some car racing videos from guys in FM4 on youtube today.
The more I watch I realized some of the. As these guys were not driving from the cockpit.

I drive from the cockpit.

Just curious do you drive from the cockpit or from above??

I drive from above "bumper far" in the cockpit you sit really low compared to my view out of a car lol. Makes me feel blind. Plus its easier to see people trying to pass and close on your tail. I tend to make less contact in races when I race above.

^^^Agreed that its easier to see other poeple on the track from above the car...Also easier to see the line you want to take ahead of you...I dont like the cockpit view because you dont see as much of the road....I found a happy medium and use the hood view..It give you the feeling of being in the cockpit but not having blind spots.....

Someone once said that if you will never win a race by looking behind you....

While the cockpit view makes for superb engine sounds.. I swear they sound almost exactly like the real thing.. it is inconsistent. I think the Gs, sense of speed and inertia could have been better simulated from the cockpit view. And the severely limited wheel animation really throws me off. Paddle shifting animation's wierd too.

I prefer the bumper/bonnet view really. Sometimes I like using the hood view, as it's nice to see the hood bobbing and tilting about as the suspension does it's work. But my absolute favourite cam of choice is the bumper cam; sense of speed is simply superb. And you really feel the Gs and suspension around corners. It just feels more alive to me.

I probably won't be using the cockpit view unless they fix the wheel and shift animation, and get it to behave exactly like their real-life counterparts. Until then, bumper cam.

I don't drive cockpit in FM4, it actually makes me sick. I mean literally. :ill:

AND you should be able to diagnose sick, being a doctor and all...hahah

I tried racing from above. To me it seems slower. Maybe thats why some guys drive like they are from another planet. Your reaction time seems increased somehow?

Like Kat says it's easier to pick your line.

I only drive in cockpit view. I've tried other views but I'm terrible when I use anything other than cockpit. :P

Has to be bonnet view for me. Cockpit isn't great for peripheral vision on a one screen setup.

It just feels like you sit too low IMO. I have an Evo 8 IRL (god that sounds stupid) and in Forza I can barely see over the hood. Nothing like driving mine. My dad has an Acura NSX that I've gotten to drive a few times and its the same, it seems like the driving position is about a foot lower than it should be. And I'm not abnormally tall.

It seems low to me also, yet I like it...but can you imagine what the cockpit looks like to F1 drivers???

:lol: Yeah but we're still restricted to road and GT cars so id like my driver not to be a midget :lol: At least in F1 there's no enclosed cockpit with a pillars and everything blocking your view. Not to mention the entire front end of the car. F1 you just have to look at the nose ans control arms.

AND you should be able to diagnose sick, being a doctor and all...hahah

I'm not that kind of Doctor. :P

I tried racing from above. To me it seems slower. Maybe thats why some guys drive like they are from another planet. Your reaction time seems increased somehow?

I wouldn't really know the difference, even though I went straight for cockpit coming from GT5, as that's what I had been using in GT5. But the camera movements in Forza 4 simply seemed to be too much for me, so I've been switching around between the other views, and I actually drive Chase most of the time.

Bumper in every racing game I play. Partly for sense of speed, mostly because I want as much of the track to view on my screen as possible rather than as much of the car.

Cockpit and hood cams when im using the wheel. Chase when im using the pad.

PS - Aside the fact that the game is not great, the helmet cam from Shift 2 was a good idea. Very loud, very shaky and blurry, i liked that.

For real? Ultra-fast, twitchy and grippy supercars is where it's at. You're missing out!

Yeh..I get that, but I was once online in "S" class at Hockenheim leading from the start, made turn one okay, stepped on the gas, after the dust settled I was 30 seconds behind.

Maybe thats why I race in lower classes.:)

Yeh..I get that, but I was once online in "S" class at Hockenheim leading from the start, made turn one okay, stepped on the gas, after the dust settled I was 30 seconds behind.

Maybe thats why I race in lower classes.:)

Riiiiiight...well, you're doing fine by sticking to the lower classes for now. Master your skill set first, is what I say. Cheers!

This is my point of view as well.

A few of my gaming buddies own multi-screen set ups, wheels/pedals, racing seat, the whole 9. I've gotta admit it is really sweet..the immersion's fantastic with 3 screens. Although the screwy wheel animation still puts me off.

Ah well. I'd like to see how they innovate the cockpit view in version no. 5.

You guys think they'll release some kind development news in early 2013?

Has to be bonnet view for me.

You must be from the UK. In North America a bonnet is a type of hat you put on your head, mostly little kids.:)

WAIT, sorry.:dunce: I'm not thinking to clear this morning. That would be a "Go Pro' today...never mind. Either way it would work.

I gave cockpit another chance yesterday in my S ZR1 and it was actually pretty good. I think I still prefer chase far.

Back