Cockpit or Not

Sometimes I use cockpit but it's mostly hood. The hood feels more intense and I have better judgement for braking and cornering. For drifting I use chase cam. They are much better in than in FM3. Your face is right up to the dashboard and their gear shifting patch was just an afterthought. FM4 got the FOV just right like in Shift 1. Shift 2 was too close but the helmet cam was cool. These games need to add an adjustable FOV. Why do they always have to have it fixed is something I will never understand. All cameras should be adjustable.

Cockpit or bust. I love how FM 3 and 4 have them in all cars. Some of them have obstructions, like the LMP's, but that makes for some real racin'!

Yeah, they should all be adjustable. Don't know why that's difficult to do with today's hardware. Probably wasn't on T10's list of priorities while developing F4.

Mazyata, hood cam's probably the best, as it really allows you to feel what the car's suspension and chassis is doing....but ultimately, I'm addicted to speed, so bumper cam all the way!

I may have not hesitated to use the cockpit view, if only it had proper gear shift and steering wheel animation.

Cheers then, happy motoring!

You must be from the UK. In North America a bonnet is a type of hat you put on your head, mostly little kids.:)

WAIT, sorry.:dunce: I'm not thinking to clear this morning. That would be a "Go Pro' today...never mind. Either way it would work.
I don't know what a Go Pro is but over here the kids mostly wear hoods. Teenagers anyway.

Mazyata, hood cam's probably the best, as it really allows you to feel what the car's suspension and chassis is doing....but ultimately, I'm addicted to speed, so bumper cam all the way!
Bumper cam is fine for regular circuit racing and the rear view mirror comes in handy. I guess I got the habit of bumper/hood view from the days of Colin McRae etc which had proper slippy mud and lots of sideways movement.

Wow...

What an experience it was.. the Colin McRae games.

Next to WRC 1 and 2 on the PS2, the McRae rally games are the best ones I've experienced to date.

On GT5 I always used bumper cam, partly for the vision, but also because unless you were in a Premium car the cockpit was just a black blob!

On Forza I will stick with cockpit view. I drove 'our' MR2 yesterday, and was almost giggling at how realistic the cockpit was! :)

I use hood cam pretty much all the time, the cockpit view doesn't have the give enough field of view for my liking

I wish they had those little arrows from other games superimposed on the HUD that show the positions of following cars.

I use cockpit view because I've always used it in GT5 but FM4's cockpit views are poorly detailed and both the FOV and POV are messed up. If I continue to play FM4 I'm gonna have to stop using the cockpit. I do it because I'm used to it and I love it GT5 but I can't stand them in FM4.

I use the cockpit cam almost all of the time, I think as you lock up the judder is more noticable!

Only hate those cars where the cockpit calm has you staring at a roll bar or something like that. then it's bumper cam.

Not for me anymore... I played FM2 and about 25% of FM4 with hood view, then moved to cockpit view (and turned the SL off) for 85% of Horizon. I have since gone back to hood view, and feel it makes me faster.

For some reason the feedback from watching those disembodied hands turn the steering wheel messes me up. I do much better without that visual feedback. I think that the total feedback loop (input, processing, display, perception) is just slow enough to cause me problems. Could be wrong, though.

I love the cockpit view in most cars, some rollbars make it horrid though. Then I will use the hood view, also great. With both views however you have to use the left thumb stick to avoid contact. I have gotten good at using in corners and under braking. I drive with no assists as well and have no issues in cockpit view with knowing what my car is doing, really love most of the time.

I use cockpit view because I've always used it in GT5 but FM4's cockpit views are poorly detailed and both the FOV and POV are messed up. If I continue to play FM4 I'm gonna have to stop using the cockpit. I do it because I'm used to it and I love it GT5 but I can't stand them in FM4.

Cockpit views are more detailed than GT5. I remember seeing the shots you posted of a 458 Italia on your screen. Your reference levels are far too high. For 1080p, Standard usually works the best. Go to Intermediate, if you feel the greys and blacks are washed out. Expanded setting works great, if you play games in "PC mode".

Generally, I tend to shy away from the cockpit view due to the limited wheel animation. Also, after experiencing cockpit views in the Shift and Dirt games, Forza's cockpit iteration leaves a bit to be desired. Sure, the cars sound stunning.. but hood for me really does it. Allows me to feel the car better, and perform better around corners.

I use the Cockpit view. Less of that strange Fish Eye effect. I find it easier to judge where my car is on track and, easier to judge braking distances.

Hood view all the way. Can't stand having another wheel on the screen when I'm already using a wheel - the perspective/POV makes it like driving from the back seat (like that limo in Cannonball Run with the orangutan "driving" in front). But I love cockpit view for making replay videos. Still, what's really nice is when I see racing videos where the camera is mounted on the dash, so you just see windscreen, hood, and road. Wish that view were available in the game.

Hood view all the way. Can't stand having another wheel on the screen when I'm already using a wheel - the perspective/POV makes it like driving from the back seat (like that limo in Cannonball Run with the orangutan "driving" in front). But I love cockpit view for making replay videos. Still, what's really nice is when I see racing videos where the camera is mounted on the dash, so you just see windscreen, hood, and road. Wish that view were available in the game.

Precisely. I don't know if it's a hardware horsepower issue or laziness on the dev's part, but wheel animation should correspond exactly to your physical inputs! There's a sim called Ferrari Challenge or something like that.. and the wheel animation's sweet! You really see the driver's hands fighting for control during high speed corners and drifting!

I use the Cockpit view. Less of that strange Fish Eye effect. I find it easier to judge where my car is on track and, easier to judge braking distances.

The fish eye effect not only hampers your ability to make high speed overtaking maneuvers, but is also somewhat detrimental towards judging corner entry speed and angle. Switch motion effects off for a more true to life experience.

Hmm, the last time I used the chase view was when there was no other view available! Thinking back to the good ol' days of Chase HQ and Outrun!

Back