Codemasters and Criterion Merge to Helm Future Need for Speed Games

• Thread starter Famine
  • 52 comments
We Need FULL Controller Support every Button and Axis Mappable. No, we don't need another burnout style game.
Mappable buttons should be baked into the system firmware and MANDATORY for all games.

Much like adding everyone who worked at Sony America/Asia/Europe/Australasia/China/North & South Poles into a game's credits is. They're longer than the game in some cases.

I don't have much worry with the game's quality; it's basically guaranteed to be enjoyable as long as they follow the Heat's formula, if you ask me.

I'm just hoping they'll support 60fps this time around for consoles.

Last edited:
I don't have much worry with the game's quality; it's basically guaranteed to be enjoyable as long as they follow the Heat's formula, if you ask me.

I'm just hoping they'll support 60fps this time around for consoles.
I feel that most of the best NFS games were just 30fps, like the Black Box era games and Hot Pursuit 2010.

Just purchased and then refunded Need for Speed Heat because it only supported the most popular wheels, but failed to support direct drive wheels. No coherent reason in 2020 and beyond for a Need for Speed racing game not to support all wheels at launch.

Last edited:
Just purchased and then refunded Need for Speed Heat because it only supported the most popular wheels, but failed to support direct drive wheels. No coherent reason in 2020 and beyond for a Need for Speed racing game not to support all wheels at launch.
Sure there is - it's a ridiculously arcadey game. There's no point in playing it with a wheel. I'm surprised they support wheels at all.

Last edited:
I want a remaster.

1653980658863.png

I don't have any hopes for this game. Criterion's last well received product was Hot Pursuit (which IMO wasn't all that great) and Codemasters Cheshire is made from the remnants of Evolution Studios, whose last relevant game was still from the Motorstorm franchise.

I actually think that removing the franchise from Ghost Games' hands was a mistake. The biggest flaw of the Ghost era was the physics. If EA gave them an engine like EGO, maybe things could be different in a future title. NFS Heat with a slightly more arcadey version of GRID's physics would've been really great.

Customization on the other hand is way better than in any of the famed Black Box games. And the atmosphere as well. I pushed through NFS15's tank-like physics because it felt like a touge game, much more than NFS Carbon ever did. Build on that, with better physics, and NFS will be a hit again.

Last edited:
Yeah the NFS fan base is so diverse that you just can't satisfy the majority yet alone all of them. And even when you try to please a certain group it always fail for some reason. I know people that think MW 2005 is the best in the series while Undercover is the worst. They are the same games to me. At least the gameplay is the same. Same with fans that wanted UG3 instead of 2015 garbage. 2015 is the closest you can get to a UG3 game, imo.
Don't even want to think what the High Stakes fans are expecting (would want) from a NFS. Maybe NFS Assetto Corsa edition...
Once again, NFS fans are like Sonic fans, where the "exotic" camp are like the Classic (Genesis trilogy + Mania) fans and the "tuner" camp are like the Modern (Adventure series/the 3D stuff Sonic Team does) fans. Let I quote this again:
Need for Speed is basically the racing games equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog franchise at this point, with developers constantly changing ideas every game (and also the constant change in development team) AND the unpleasable fanbase thinking what era/game was the best – and what the developers should cling to.
People literally wanting a remaster of their favorite games also clearly didn't learn from how bad GTA The Trilogy was, legalities aside.

Last edited:
It should be remade
I mean, I'd be down with a relatively basic port with trophies, but I'd be down for a remake. Especially one that could truly connect all the courses into an open-world map.

I even had an idea of which cars could get replaced with their more contemporary versions. Unfortunately, given the demise of the Australian auto industry, I can't say I'd know what to do with the two cars that originated from that country, being the Ford TS50 and the HSV Coupe GTS. Not to mention the Opel Speedster, and how I really can't think of anything that would be comparable these days. Regardless, here were my picks:

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish -> Aston Martin Vanquish S '18
BMW M5 (E39) -> BMW M5 (F90)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) -> Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C8)
Dodge Viper GTS '00 -> Dodge Viper GTS '13
Ferrari 360 Modena -> Ferrari 296 GTB
Ferrari 550 Barchetta -> Ferrari 812 Superfast GTS
Ferrari F50 -> Ferrari SF90 Stradale
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R -> Ford Mustang Mach 1 '22
Jaguar XKR -> Jaguar F-Type R '22
Lotus Elise -> Lotus Emira
McLaren F1 -> McLaren P1
McLaren F1 LM -> McLaren Senna
Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG -> Mercedes-AMG GT R
Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR -> Mercedes-AMG One
Porsche 911 Turbo (996) -> Porsche 911 Turbo (992)
Porsche Carrera GT -> Porsche 918

Last edited:
I mean, I'd be down with a relatively basic port with trophies, but I'd be down for a remake. Especially one that could truly connect all the courses into an open-world map.

I even had an idea of which cars could get replaced with their more contemporary versions. Unfortunately, given the demise of the Australian auto industry, I can't say I'd know what to do with the two cars that originated from that country, being the Ford TS50 and the HSV Coupe GTS. Not to mention the Opel Speedster, and how I really can't think of anything that would be comparable these days. Regardless, here were my picks:

Aston Martin V12 Vanquish -> Aston Martin Vanquish S '18
BMW M5 (E39) -> BMW M5 (F90)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) -> Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C8)
Dodge Viper GTS '00 -> Dodge Viper GTS '13
Ferrari 360 Modena -> Ferrari 296 GTB
Ferrari 550 Barchetta -> Ferrari 812 Superfast GTS
Ferrari F50 -> Ferrari SF90 Stradale
Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R -> Ford Mustang Mach 1 '22
Jaguar XKR -> Jaguar F-Type R '22
Lotus Elise -> Lotus Emira
McLaren F1 -> McLaren P1
McLaren F1 LM -> McLaren Senna
Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG -> Mercedes-AMG GT R
Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR -> Mercedes-AMG One
Porsche 911 Turbo (996) -> Porsche 911 Turbo (992)
Porsche Carrera GT -> Porsche 918
I would not mind if the old cars came back along with new ones to the additions.

I cannot imagine if a NFS hot pursuit 2 remake was announced mw and ug fanboys would lose their minds by coping or seething.

I don't have any hopes for this game. Criterion's last well received product was Hot Pursuit (which IMO wasn't all that great)....

I actually think that removing the franchise from Ghost Games' hands was a mistake.
Criterion's 2 titles in the franchise have scored better by reviewers & public opinion than any of Ghost Games' 3 titles....

Last edited:
Criterion's 2 titles in the franchise have scored better by reviewers & public opinion than any of Ghost Games' 3 titles....
That is interesting. I am still in wait and see mode. No one knows how this new game is going to be until it comes out

Sure there is - it's a ridiculously arcadey game. There's no point in playing it with a wheel. I'm surprised they support wheels at all.
Arcade driving games have historically been driven with a steering wheel (Think San Francisco Rush, Rush the Rock, etc.). Ironically, I cannot imagine why anyone would drive using a controller other than a steering wheel whether the game is arcade or not. Moreover, just because a driving game is "arcadey" in no way justifies the use of a controller other than a steering wheel.

Back