Codemasters Reveals Off-Road Racer ONRUSH

shame, who here bought the game! I dont have lots a free time so only play GTsport and Dirt4 maybe Destiny 2 (Grind2, cough)

game looks good, they should of made a new motor storm for PS4, alsi the car models look a bit werid to me.

There is no market for arcade racing games without licensed vehicles. The only one which can still have some success is Burnout imho.

This is an incredibly silly thing to say.

Heavens forbid anybody tries something different in the gaming industry.

The problem isn't that Codemasters did something different for the racing genre - they definitely did. The problem is that they didn't accurately portray what kind of game ONRUSH was to the average consumer. This thread is proof, really, with people still not really sure what type of racing game it truly is, months after release. That sort of thing really kills you, no matter what type of game you have, and how good it is. You can sing the praises of a title, as this very site did for ONRUSH, as much as you want, but if the publisher is not going to do an adequate job describing what type of game this is right out the gate to the average consumer, why should they bother picking up an $80 game Canadian right out the gate?

It also is not helped that Codemasters, whether by their own volition or through problems with the studio, simply do not support their games past a certain point, if at all. DiRT Rally had the VR taste tester thingie, that's it. DiRT 4 has had no sort of DLC at all. Goes all the way back to the original DiRT tbh. They simply make the game, release it, maybe push out a couple patches or too, and then just forget about it. If I am a consumer, why bother playing the game if there isn't going to be anything else coming in the pipe that I can get excited for that might make me pop the game in again after playing through it? T10 and PG have done a good job with this in terms of Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon - every month you can expect a DLC pack, and you can expect at minimum, an expansion or two (barring the anomaly that is Forza Motorsport 7) every 3 to 4 months or so. I'm not saying that Codemasters should adopt the DLC schedule of T10 or PG, but at least give fans something to look forward to, instead of ******** out a game and letting it sit without any sort of new content for the rest of the lifespan of the title.

This is also a silly thing to say, especially considering that GTA isn't even close to something like Onrush.
Kids are getting their racing fix from GTAV. There's a reason why they haven't made a Midnight Club game this gen. The same people make GTAV and they know what their doing. Kids are getting their racing fix from GTAV Online. Sorry to burts your bubble.

at least give fans something to look forward to, instead of ******** out a game and letting it sit without any sort of new content for the rest of the lifespan of the title.

Games are not required to have DLC and I feel it's perfectly fine for a dev to have no DLC plans as long as that is made clear to those interested in buying that is the case. Where Evo went wrong is not their DLC plans (which are apparently going forward - for who?) but going after a market that didn't exist with a product no one - including the publisher and maybe even the developer - understood.

Sony obviously felt burnt (IMO for something that was normal for early stages of PS3 online and effectively dealt with) and Codemasters definitely feel the same. In the past, a publisher could look at the Motorstorm series as well as Driveclub's finished state and say that Evo had a good history and was worth taking a chance on. Any partners going forward will have to add Onrush's epic failure into the mix and it becomes a much harder sell to keep the team together.

It's always sad to hear about people losing their jobs, especially when they put their all into a project that just wasn't successful. I went into the open beta not knowing what to expect, but firm in the knowledge that they had made games in the past that I'd spent many an evening happily enjoying...

Onrush just wasn't for me. A racing game that wasn't about racing. A car combat game without weapons. I can't fault Codemasters for the way they marketed the game, because it's hard to pin down exactly what the game is and who it is for.

It was a risk and it looks like it failed.

Now Codemasters, as a business, have to figure out how much money and effort they can afford to commit to a game that massively underperformed.

This thread is proof, really, with people still not really sure what type of racing game it truly is, months after release.

I don't really understand. Everywhere I look online, it is stated over and over that it's not a traditional racing game, and what it is described as being is pretty simple. I just can't wrap my head around how difficult it can be to realize what you're buying when you just have to watch a 3 minute youtube video to know exactly what the game modes are. The info presented is not that complicated. Half the people I see discussing this game on other sites don't understand what it is, and the other half cry that it's not a new MotorStorm.

Sorry if I sound like I have my head up my ass, but the first time I even heard of this game and watched their trailer, I knew exactly what they were selling. I thought more power to them. A car game doesn't have to be a racing game. I don't know what everyone's problem with this is, and I don't think I'll ever know. I don't quite get a lot of the majority ideas and attitudes held by the gaming communities. Some of this stuff baffles me.

As regards DLC, I liked it better when you actually got a finished product and that was that. Codemasters started the whole install a game with content locked away as DLC thing instead of DLC being actual additional content.

Ironic that this game is supposed to appeal to everyman but has sold poorly and their most hardcore game - Dirt Rally - sold loads.

Kids are getting their racing fix from GTAV. There's a reason why they haven't made a Midnight Club game this gen. The same people make GTAV and they know what their doing. Kids are getting their racing fix from GTAV Online. Sorry to burts your bubble.
Nothing to do with bursting anyone's bubble - GTAV is not a racing game, the same way that Watchdogs isn't a racing game either but folks enjoyed racing around in the MP - so they can't really be compared. Sure, people race in them but other than buying the occasional massive racing title because their friends have bought it, they probably won't be playing any real racing games at all.

...but the first time I even heard of this game and watched their trailer, I knew exactly what they were selling. I thought more power to them. A car game doesn't have to be a racing game. I don't know what everyone's problem with this is, and I don't think I'll ever know. I don't quite get a lot of the majority ideas and attitudes held by the gaming communities. Some of this stuff baffles me.
No worries, you definitely aren't alone in all of that. I've had this exact same discussion with a few who simply cannot get their heads around the concept (usually without trying the game.) Maybe it's a lateral-thinking thing, I dunno - but it really wasn't that hard for me, a person who barely reads up on a game in the lead up to see straight off that it wouldn't be a trad racer - because that's what they said.

Maybe just me, but all the vehicles in GTAV's racing feel slow on straights. They only feel fast at times because of the 90° corners and the boost zones do little to nothing. If you want crazy tracks with a fast sense of speed play Trackmania Turbo

Maybe just me, but all the vehicles in GTAV's racing feel slow on straights. They only feel fast at times because of the 90° corners and the boost zones do little to nothing. If you want crazy tracks with a fast sense of speed play Trackmania Turbo

I saw some mod that tried to recreate realistic speed and the cars where like twice slower as they should be.

GTAIV had fantastic physics. Dont know why they had to dumble down them.. .

GTAIV had fantastic physics. Dont know why they had to dumble down them.. .

I agree GTA IV had better physics, but even those were slightly unrealistic because the suspension travel on most cars was grossly exaggerated. They went too far on the other end of the spectrum for GTA V where it feels like cars have virtually no suspension travel.

Going back on topic, it is great to see OnRush still has sizeable post-launch support. I wonder if the price drop and news about Evo has helped pick up a bit.

It's a shame it isn't as big as it could be. I really want to pick up this game to potentially play with friends I have who are into competitive team play but just aren't into cars or racing. I wanted to know if this could possibly bridge that gap, but with the situation I'm currently going through in life I couldn't jump onto anything that would require my dedicated attention for more than 5 or so minutes. I haven't even touched GT Sport since the first race of FIA season 2. I can't safely spare the 15-20 minutes to do an online event. So sad. T-T

It's a shame but I can't say that I'm surprised that Onrush tanked. Even though I've never played it, from what I could see from the gameplay videos I got the very distinct impression that it's pretty much a video game anachronism in 2018. Ten or fifteen years ago it would have done well, but things have moved on in terms of what people want and expect in the video game world, especially for a title that's been given pretty much a AAA price.

And that price, which currently stands at $70 for the basic or $85 for the deluxe versions in the Swiss store, is not a price that people are going to pay for a bit of after pub drunken fun, which is how I see this game will most likely end up being used.

Unfortunately the arcade racer is dead, at least in terms of big budget AAA titles, which is why, much to my sadness, we'll probably never see an original WipEout on PS4.

Heavens forbid anybody tries something different in the gaming industry.

That's what the Indies do, there's a ton of unique, unusual, and really quite good, if not amazing indie games out there on Steam, but you do have to go through an incredible amount of asset flipped shovelware to find the real gems.

This game is free to play on Xbox for a limited time.

And for that, I say thank you. I played this for about 45 mins today and its spammed with heaps of acheievments. However I feel like this free period could end and it wouldnt faze me.

I think the game runs fine... its smooth and the gfx looks good.

However I hate the art style and "hay fellow kids" aesthetic.

I'm also not sure what the victory criterion is... I seem to drive around, randomly kill and be killed and I win and lose due to random fate.

I feel like this game was hashed out on the back of a napkin and they spend $XX million and they have a polished bad idea.

Also the price here is a joke... $99,99 or about $75 usd... and $130 for some special edition.

LOL

This is at best a budget game or a free Xbox Gold game.

Sounds like Rushy (and hopefully the remainder of the team laid off) have landed on their feet and we'll find out where on Tuesday!

If they merge with another company, I really hope they play it safe with their new project.

...Sounds like Rushy (and hopefully the remainder of the team laid off) have landed on their feet and we'll find out where on Tuesday!

If they merge with another company, I really hope they play it safe with their new project.
I got the impression that it was more like they're all on their own. Jamie Brayshaw tweeted that he'd welcome options and suggestions and those two have been working together for quite some time. I really hope whatever Rushy has found allows him to bring others on board...but the majority of the team haven't said anything since. I'd like to be wrong in this, trust me as that's a serious collection of talent they had with Driveclub and Onrush.

Back