Codemasters Teases Something New Coming to the DiRT Series

So apparently every racing game released after 2012 is copying Horizon. Got it.

If you have a feature-rich game that is dominating a sector as much as the Horizon series is doing, you will inevitably have comparable features cropping up in other arcade racing games. That doesn't necessarily mean those other titles are copying FH.

Holy ****... i never actually expected they would bring back the atmosphere 2 had!

PLEASE do not **** this up Codies, this legit looks like fun

I am seriously happy, definitely getting Evo Studios vibes from the presentation and feel of the locations, This is the return to form i feel the series needed. I cannott wait to see more!

Being on a new engine for the first time, I'm wondering if DiRT5 will have all the features from the previous games. I'm thinking it might be more a "Driveclub Rally" feature wise. I'm thinking the game could lose flashbacks, mechanical damage and heavy car deformation.

Being on a new engine for the first time, I'm wondering if DiRT5 will have all the features from the previous games. I'm thinking it might be more a "Driveclub Rally" feature wise. I'm thinking the game could lose flashbacks, mechanical damage and heavy car deformation.

99eac338-c445-43b2-a980-eca6c1974c30.jpg

There's a snippet of damage in that photo. Doesn't look heavy but the deformation still has a fair amount of detail. Bear in mind a number of the car models have been imported from the earlier current-gen DiRT games.

No. Games that have almost identical aesthetics and story driven single players with seasons, dynamic time and weather in relatively speaking, open maps, shown in a trailer that, without knowledge of it being from codemasters or being Dirt, could just as easily have been a trailer for a Horizon game or Expansion for one.
"Games that have almost identical aesthetics"
I'm not seeing how it's identical. I'm not saying that the games aren't comparable at all (in fact, they're probably related more than most people realize, Playground itself has a lot of former Codemaster's employees and many people have moved between studios), but to say that it's copying Horizon is selling it sort.

I can see elements of the Dirt 2/3/Showdown era in this trailer. The most striking change would be them dropping the GRID-esque color grading in favor for a oversaturated look, but even then it's still noticeably different. Horizon's style is more tame and sterilized.

"dynamic time and weather in relatively speaking"

Wow, that is totally something that's never been done before Horizon.

"open maps"
I see nothing mentioning open maps.

"shown in a trailer that, without knowledge of it being from codemasters or being Dirt, could just as easily have been a trailer for a Horizon game or Expansion for one"
Fair enough. Marketing teams aren't exactly the most original people in the world.

Looking forward to this. Whilst I've enjoyed the more focused and realistic feel of DR1 and DR2, the balance the earlier games had; Dirt 1-3 and even Showdown which was huge fun (never played Dirt 4), was spot on in my opinion, and always kept me engaged, with Dirt 3 being on of my favourite games of the PS3 era, so will be keeping an eye on this one.

I really hope they bring back the trash talking radio chat from Dirt 2, it was fun to hear during a race :lol:

I think something like that is in game, the short dev talk at Inside Xbox mention you have a rival voiced by Nolan North.

I think something like that is in game, the short dev talk at Inside Xbox mention you have a rival voiced by Nolan North.

i hope to god Nolan’s character has the same sarcastic and dorky tone Nathan Drake did in Uncharted

"Games that have almost identical aesthetics"
I'm not seeing how it's identical. I'm not saying that the games aren't comparable at all (in fact, they're probably related more than most people realize, Playground itself has a lot of former Codemaster's employees and many people have moved between studios), but to say that it's copying Horizon is selling it sort.

I can see elements of the Dirt 2/3/Showdown era in this trailer. The most striking change would be them dropping the GRID-esque color grading in favor for a oversaturated look, but even then it's still noticeably different. Horizon's style is more tame and sterilized.

"dynamic time and weather in relatively speaking"

Wow, that is totally something that's never been done before Horizon.

"open maps"
I see nothing mentioning open maps.

"shown in a trailer that, without knowledge of it being from codemasters or being Dirt, could just as easily have been a trailer for a Horizon game or Expansion for one"
Fair enough. Marketing teams aren't exactly the most original people in the world.

No one said its copying Horizon. Check it. Its being compared to being like Horizon. Nothing has mentioned being open but if you look at the trailer, you'll see that we're clearly not dealing with basic closed circuits here, as you only quoted the open maps part of that rather than the whole context where I say, relatively speaking, open maps, now relatively speaking as we are in a Dirt forum, it clearly looks like its more open than Dirt 4, Dirt rally and so on. Particularly the last show showing the coastal area with a circuit in the forefront and an expanse of weather. Open maps don't have to be driveable to be open, look at DriveClub. Huge open landscapes with tracks snaking through them. Also you only quoted time and weather not the seasons part which in this type of action racing game was pioneered by Horizon 4.

Frankly enough people have seen the influences for me to know its not just my mind and for whatever reason you've taken a heavy resistance to the notion that games can be inspired by other games....

I found it weird that people already calling this "Horizon Copy" just from the aesthetics.

I mean, fancy to look at the Dirt Rally 2.0 HUD and UI? It's already there actually.

Frankly enough people have seen the influences for me to know its not just my mind and for whatever reason you've taken a heavy resistance to the notion that games can be inspired by other games....
I never said that they couldn't be inspired by other games. I'm just saying that Horizon is that the industry default that everyone seems to point to, and that I think it kinda trivializes the game and anything that would've influenced it. This isn't the only time that this has happened.

I do think there is some irony in the fact that DiRT is being compared to Forza Horizon, a game series that was influenced and made by people who previously worked on DiRT.

I never said that they couldn't be inspired by other games. I'm just saying that Horizon is that the industry default that everyone seems to point to, and that I think it kinda trivializes the game and anything that would've influenced it. This isn't the only time that this has happened.

I do think there is some irony in the fact that DiRT is being compared to Forza Horizon, a game series that was influenced and made by people who previously worked on DiRT.

Its not very ironic then is it. And yes Horizon is the industry standard for action arcade driving games because its the best one sonits always going to be compared anyway.

I found it weird that people already calling this "Horizon Copy" just from the aesthetics.

I mean, fancy to look at the Dirt Rally 2.0 HUD and UI? It's already there actually.

Again, no one said Horizon copy. Its got clear influence, it isn't a copy and no on has claimed it to be. Not seeing the DR2.0 comparison at all.

Is it running on the (what I assume anyway) modified EGO engine that was used for Onrush?

Certainly getting Evo/DC vibes from this with the dynamic weather, seasons, photo mode, livery editor and the online features.

Really looking forward to seeing some proper gameplay footage.

I didnt see it as a bad thing, though.

Anyway, besides the gameplay and car& track roster, I hope they also get the menu design done awesome like past Dirt 2 and 3.
I miss the trailer and the service area outside surrounded by fans from D2. Loved it.

Hopefully we’ll see it return in some form.

I didnt see it as a bad thing, though.

Anyway, besides the gameplay and car& track roster, I hope they also get the menu design done awesome like past Dirt 2 and 3.

Trust me I know it's not a bad thing!

Looks pretty good. Looks like a huge step up from Dirt 4 (the worst one imo). Genuinely excited to play this, in a way i`m happy they have created another Dirt game, it`s well needed after the lifeless repetitive Dirt 4 imo.

I hope that Dirt 5 recaptures the look and feel of Dirt 2 & 3, particularly 2. I thought those games were amazingly good fun, (minus Gymkhana), fingers crossed :)
4 was a let down, it seemed to want to be an inferior follow up to Dirt Rally, not Dirt 3.

Last edited:
Back