Codemasters Teases Something New Coming to the DiRT Series

I see a lot of gymkhana stuff being mentioned, I kinda hope the same, but in a gymkhana grid fashion, like showdown

I hope to see no gymkhana. Most boring part of all the dirt games.

But I would like to see the multi-discipline off road stuff again. The rally raid events were always fun and I love short course off road racing with trucks and buggies. The dirt series seemed to be the only one making decent short course off road stuff.

I hope to see no gymkhana. Most boring part of all the dirt games.
I can't speak for Showdown but I thought the whole DC Compound from Dirt 3 was pretty fun, particularly in online events.

That said, I don't really expect Gymkhana to return and if it does, it most likely won't have Kenny from the Block.

"We were supposedly getting a new Dakar game this year too."
Be a big ask considering BigMoon pretty much has shut up shop due to lack of funding.
Their website remains untouched since the dlc finished.
Email (In my case) was unanswered.
edit; Sorry a bit off topic.

Last edited:
I'd love a mixture of D2 & D3 to return back. The lavish UI and presentation combined with the excellent soundtracks, car sounds, physics & overall fun factor of these games made me play both of them religiously for a long time.

Genuinely intrigued what they'll bring to the table with the new installment.

DiRT Showdown is cursed with the "DiRT" namesake association. Would be received far better if it's named "Flatout" instead since the gameplay is largely similar with ejector seat stunts being replaced with gymkhanas.

See what I did there?

...Could they maybe be featuring "Extreme E"?

It's a brand new off-road competition with all electric buggies (it's the only thing I could think with the lightning bolt emoji)...

I can see it:

m1088-crop169014-1024x576-proportional-1579212755fc32v1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just been shown during the series X showcase! Looks amazing. But it did look suspiciously like Forza Horizon. Open world off road. Looks great!

I didn’t catch the full trailer but definitely seems more along the lines of the Dirt 3-4 and Showdown. Smart move imo, Dirt 4 didn’t set itself far enough apart from Dirt Rally in terms of style and what not.

Epic racing, pure expression, unbridled style
DIRT 5 is the bold new off-road racing experience created by Codemasters. Blaze a trail across the most iconic routes in the world. Drive the widest roster of cars from rally icons, to trucks, to GT heroes and lots more. Play through a star-studded Career, four-player split-screen, innovative online modes, livery editor and more new features, DIRT 5 is the next generation of extreme racing.

2039f224-e9ee-4781-ae0f-5bdf2a72864b.jpg

93220916-dc11-4ac3-924a-ad4b8c9a4faf.jpg

c0b456c4-128e-4d8f-9183-8e65aab3dea0.jpg

613e3c33-55ea-4b72-9215-be4e3bfe95d8.jpg

44bb18bd-1a8e-4d8c-aaed-01286191c807.jpg

99eac338-c445-43b2-a980-eca6c1974c30.jpg

Blaze a trail across the globe
Take a trip around the world and race over 70+ unique routes across 10 different global locations in stunning environments complete with dynamic weather and time of day.

Push the limits with incredible cars
Get behind the wheel of an eclectic and exciting roster of cars. Conquer the toughest terrain with boulder-beating machines, take iconic rally cars to new locations, or feel the power of 900bhp sprint cars.

Own the spotlight
World-renowned voice talents Troy Baker and Nolan North head up the cast of DIRT 5’s story-driven Career mode. Under the tutelage of an icon, all eyes are on you to become the new star of an amplified world of off-road racing.

Compete or co-operate in off-road action
Local split-screen of up to four players on offline modes, including Career, makes DIRT 5 the perfect couch multiplayer racing game as you battle for position with your friends.

Create and capture with new features
Capture your biggest jumps and best moves with a detailed Photo Mode, and show your creative flair with DIRT’s deepest ever livery editor for all cars.

I'm hyped. I'm getting Dirt 2/3 & MotorStorm/DriveClub vibes. @torque99 @sems4arsenal

Last edited:
Photo Mode

Wicked, about time! 👍 Also like the sound of a structured story mode.

There's one thing bugging me though - Is anyone seeing anything that can't be achieved on the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X in the footage seen so far? Don't get me wrong, the game looks stunning but I'm not seeing any next-gen leap so far.

I would guess it's mostly gonna be in the lighting and weather/particle effects. I don't think anyone is gonna magically upgrade all of their cars to GT Sport quality or anything like that.

I think the Horizon comparisons are fair as it is currently the most prolific racing series to feature racing on various surfaces with a festival-like backdrop.

Although if we are being pedantic, DiRT 2 merged a festival setting with racing games long before Playground games got a shot at it, but comparisons are also being made to earlier games in the series too.

So apparently every racing game released after 2012 is copying Horizon. Got it.

No. Games that have almost identical aesthetics and story driven single players with seasons, dynamic time and weather in relatively speaking, open maps, shown in a trailer that, without knowledge of it being from codemasters or being Dirt, could just as easily have been a trailer for a Horizon game or Expansion for one.

And its not copying, but its very obviously been inspired by it.

And as for every game being compared to Horizon, you're dam right. F1 2020? You seen that stuff bro? Zandvoort banked like god dam hot wheels expansion. Just copying Horizon bro.

Back