Codemasters to Develop Official WRC Titles from 2023

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by MagpieRacer, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Morbid65

Morbid65

Yeah I messed with settings and turned off assists, and my issue didn't seem to matter which car I was driving... Honestly I liked the vintage cars better than the R5s.

My issue was a combination of the "feel" of the physics, and the stage design.

The cars feel like they have a very light touch on the road instead of feeling planted, and like they just sorta rotate on an axis and the ground that is below them has little impact on it. I didn't feel like banked corners had much impact on grip/rotation, and I didn't feel like I really needed to adjust for compressions or the car getting light-ish over a crest. It's not that the game plays awful or I find it unplayable or something (maybe my wording in my first post was harsh?), but it just doesn't capture me at all and feels pretty artificial.

Stage design is also uninteresting. Granted I didn't run every stage in the game, but I tried to jump around and try a lot of different areas, but I don't think I ever found any section of the stages where I went "**** yes" and wanted to re-run it immediately, like I find in many stages in the last 2 WRC games. It's not just the width that people often complain about, but they just feel like generic rally stages made by people who think making squiggle-y roads in the woods is enough to make a "good stage" and they lacked memorable features.

Comparatively, I find WRC8 has a much better sense of connection with the ground, and all the bumps and camber changes are felt more. The better sense of connection to the road also means there is a better sense of not being connected to the road, making bumps, bounces, two-wheel moments, getting light over crests, all that stuff much more exciting.

The stage design in the WRC games feels much more distinct, and nearly every stage I can pick out a sequence of road or a "moment" of the stage that is super exciting, if not several, that make me want to re-run the stage immediately. Part of it is because of the better feel of road connection, so a tiny detail in a single corner like a little off-camber bump near an apex that puts you sideways up on two wheels sliding out of the corner feels thrilling. While that can be just one corner out of a hundred, I find them memorable.

I'm playing on a controller for now though, it might be a very different case with a wheel and I'll probably have to re-evaluate when I get one.

The end result though is that I can fire up WRC8, planning to spend 30mins making a few cracks at a stage and find myself still playing the same stage trying to improve 3 hours later, because when I crash while pushing for a time, restarting is an opportunity to re-run a great stage. I never find myself doing that with DR2.0.

2. evldave333

evldave333

I like both games myself, but find Ive put more hours in wrc overall as its more forgiving, if you push in dirt 2 you get punished, I end up rage quitting alot. It annoys me you cant customise the gameplay in dirt 2 theres a time for simulation and a time for giving it the beans, but with no damage options you cant let your inner child go for a joyride its all intense focus stuff. Im sure both developers will continue to pump out rally games and simply change the titles and car rosters abit. Neither company is going to shelve their game engines they will just re-skin and re-brand so the licence changing hands isnt that much of a big deal.

Morbid65 likes this.
  3. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I feel like Codies is just making too many things at once, and none of them are given enough attention. I wonder if the WRC game will be standalone, or will it be incorporated to the Dirt series? Will the Dirt series even still have the Rally/Casual two games approach? So many uncertainties, just when Kylotonn is starting to make good games with WRC7 onwards. Competition is good. Without it, game devs tend to fall back on the yearly sport games approach of just putting out the same thing year after year with minimal innovation.

I dunno why WRC doesn't just sublicense the cars to CM. Kylotonn can keep making the whole game, CM can have the newest WRC cars too. Win-win situation.

4. Robin

Robin Premium

I suspect the Dirt Series will be canned when the CM WRC series starts. I agree, they have too many things going on at once.

5. FT-1

FT-1

Dirt Rally perhaps, but I'm not sure the mainline Dirt series will face the axe too. If the WRC series has a greater emphasis on realism, a more accessible and fun-focused offroad series can co-exist alongside it.

sirjim73 and MagpieRacer like this.
  6. Robin

Robin Premium

For sure, I think even if both Dirt's were axed 2 similar WRC games could probably coexist, much like back in the day with the Colin McRae games alongside the Evolution Studios WRC games.

sirjim73 and FT-1 like this.
  7. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

I think this is what will happen, Dirt Rally will just morph into WRC and the Dirt series will carry on from Dirt 5 with the more action, gymkhana, buggy etc style off roading.

I reckon we still have 1 more Dirt Rally to come before the WRC games though.

evldave333, sirjim73 and FT-1 like this.
  8. sirjim73

sirjim73

Bearing in mind the timescale and the way CM seem to like to roll out games, with few getting much support beyond a year, I agree.

I can foresee, Dirt 5 2020, Dirt Rally 3 2021, Dirt 6 2022, WRC 2023 as a very tempting timescale for them, with Dirt Rally 3 as a "stepping stone" used to prep certain things behind the scenes for transition to WRC (game engine, physics etc, obviously not vehicles or tracks due to licensing).

KT will want to maximise their licence in the meantime too, so WRC 10 in 2021 and WRC 11 in 2022 from them to go with the above (Plus TDU).

Could be a good 3 years for rally fans, I only hope that KT can establish a commercially successful rally game after 2023 as competition is good for us all :tup:

Morbid65, MrCrynox, FT-1 and 2 others like this.
  9. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

Hoping so, because I worry if they morph Dirt Rally into WRC games is that it will lose a lot of the cars and locations to focus on official WRC stages. No way a car list like DR 2.0 would be in a WRC game.

I also fear they would lose the "hardcore" difficulty of the DR games going into WRC in favor of a more accessible game.

10. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

Hope not given that the WRC titles have out hardcored Dirt Rally of late.

Pfei and MrCrynox like this.
  11. SPhilli911

SPhilli911

I haven't played much of WRC 7 or 8, but I wasn't implying that Dirt Rally is more or less hardcore or difficult than current WRC games. Meant that if Codemasters is going to be making the WRC games that they may chose to tweek things a little bit to be more accessible like they did with Dirt 4, that's my worry.

When the "sim" mode in Dirt 4 was announced it was promised to be better than Dirt Rally and it didn't exactly turn out that way. In other words, I hope the WRC games will be not be dumbed down versions of Dirt Rally, is all.

MrCrynox and Scaff like this.
  12. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Codemasters are sensible enough to know what the fan base wants. So I don’t think they’ll go down the Dirt 4 route with it. That would be absolute suicide.

SPhilli911, evldave333 and Scaff like this.
  13. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

Valid point, personally I hope they offer the same range of accessibility that F1 2020 offers.

sirjim73 and SPhilli911 like this.