Codemasters to Develop Official WRC Titles from 2023

WRC 8 stages are more made up while DiRT Rally 2.0 stages are more true to life. Personally I'd prefer more realistic stages in a WRC game, but it's just personal preference.
I would disagree, as even the DR2 stages that are based on real stages are wrong, certainly far too wide in many cases.

WRC8 does a better job of getting closer to the correct width and challenge of a rally stage, and the SSS stages are excellent.

SLRE beats both of them however for stages accuracy.

Shame as I thought the last wrc game was excellent and second only to loeb on the ps4.

The last game finally looked good and the driving was fun but challenging. Sound was poor and codies will dwarf everyone in the compartment but I suspect their stages will be the usual 5 min run with boring stage design.

Hopefully the developers do a milestone and use their knowledge to release a rally sim.

It’s great news. I hope Codemasters squeeze in one more Dirt Rally on next gen though because I love the variety of cars available. I would like to see Rally X included in the next one too.

I really hope that the next DiRT Rally title will include the WRC license, but it does sound like it will be its own separate official licensed game like the F1 titles. I'm looking forward to it although that means more rally games I'm adding to my library. lol

We’ll see what they can do. Should be pretty good, though I’m going to miss the classic rally cars.

Can’t imagine they’ll run three titles at the same time; WRC, DiRT Rally 3 and DiRT 6...?

This is great news, this will be a walk in the park for code masters. they already have a solid foundation with DiRT Rally 2.0, all it was missing was the modern official WRC cars and real locations.

I have a feeling DiRT Rally series will continue with its current style of a large range of rally cars and have Rally X, where as WRC will focus on the official WRC roster.

Backwards good news to me. I am neither interested in Codemasters games anymore, nor modern WRC since the '00s. And in spite of the latter, Kylotonn impressed me with WRC8. So if Kylotonn can cut loose to invest in other things besides a rigidly WRC-based title that primarily features uninteresting late-model cars (and no Subaru, because WRC), then great! 👍

The smart money would be on polishing TDU since that has a much bigger scope and potentially a wider audience than V-Rally. I'm expecting TDU3 to be released before the WRC license is handed over to Codemasters. Like V-Rally 4, I will be expecting it to be rough around the edges but packed with good ideas, which can be expanded on once KT has one less franchise to worry about.

TDU is a more recogniseable name but I'm not too sure how are they going to improve upon that, the unique features of the older games were just buying houses and unique garage.

I new V-Rally with better polish will be great, the generated routes in V-Rally 4 was fantastic.

Can’t imagine they’ll run three titles at the same time; WRC, DiRT Rally 3 and DiRT 6...?

I think Dirt Rally 3 should be well into production if they are sticking with the old release schedule:

DiRT Rally: 2015 (PC)/2016 (consoles)
DiRT 4: 2017
DiRT Rally 2.0: 2019
DiRT 5: 2020
DiRT Rally 3: 2021/2022 release?

I'm guessing WRC will probably kill off one of the DiRT games unless Codemasters got their hands on another studio to work on it, maybe SMS?

I am very confused by this news...

I was under the impression that Codie already has exclusive license for WRX...

So who does have it right now?
Who is currently doing the official WRX games until 2023...

So I guess GT will have to continue with their multi surface logic until at least 2028, so right in time for GT8.

So I guess GT will have to continue with their multi surface logic until at least 2028, so right in time for GT8.

They have the WRX series license now but no idea when will that ends, there might be a chance Codemasters will be holding both WRC and WRX series license.

This is great news, this will be a walk in the park for code masters. they already have a solid foundation with DiRT Rally 2.0, all it was missing was the modern official WRC cars and real locations.

I have a feeling DiRT Rally series will continue with its current style of a large range of rally cars and have Rally X, where as WRC will focus on the official WRC roster.

Im pretty sure dirt rally 3 will appear then will be replaced with the same game engine running wrc rally when the licence kicks in... I see dirt brand continuing as the more arcade side of things which gives something for everybody...

Last edited:
I would disagree, as even the DR2 stages that are based on real stages are wrong, certainly far too wide in many cases.

WRC8 does a better job of getting closer to the correct width and challenge of a rally stage, and the SSS stages are excellent.

SLRE beats both of them however for stages accuracy.

I'd say DR2 is far closer to SLRE. But everyone's perception will be different.

WRX = World Rally Cross
WRC = World Rally Championship

Different cars, and a different discipline.

I'd say DR2 is far closer to SLRE. But everyone's perception will be different.
Oh [insert deity of choice or none], not even remotely close, DR2 is still a long, long way off SLRE, particularly in regard to FFB, tarmac physics and stage design (Sweet Lamb is a good comparison between the two, being far too wide in DR2 and has the wrong layout outside of the complex area)

The only way the two are close is in that they didn't carry the WRC licence, so are able to have more diverse car lists as a result, however, even with the limited non-WRC cars in WRC8 it comes close to the feel, FFB and stage design of SLRE.

Their engine recordings are what make CodeMasters rally games great,So hearing a WRC car done right will be a treat.
This should slow down paid dlc cause what's extra?
Not that I want to give them ideas, but they'll definitely charge extra for classic rally cars, which won't be necessary for the main game but, c'mon, nobody's going to stop wanting Minis, Rexis and the Delta S4

Nice. There's no good WRC game since the ps2 days, so It is about time. This should also force them to finally make more mileage and varierty per rally, something they continue to suck at, and the only good thing about of all mediocre WRC games we have suffered since the ps3/360 days up to 2019-'20.

Problem is that we will have to play with these terrible ugly modern wrc cars. No old glory cars would definitely put me off.

Disappointing.

I played Dirt4 on Game Pass, and wasn't too impressed, and when DR2.0 was added to Game Pass I played it for a few hours... was very glad I hadn't bought it, and found it so unsatisfying that it made me go out and buy WRC8.

No doubt Kylotonn still had a number of things to improve on in the WRC series, especially the sound and the physics oddities on the verges, and still needed a fair amount of polish... but they were making progress every title. Even with some of the odd little things that needed work, I still found it a very enjoyable title and far more engaging than DR2.0.

I guess I'll still watch and see how things go, but can't say I'm excited for anything Codies anymore.

Disappointing.

I played Dirt4 on Game Pass, and wasn't too impressed, and when DR2.0 was added to Game Pass I played it for a few hours... was very glad I hadn't bought it, and found it so unsatisfying that it made me go out and buy WRC8.

No doubt Kylotonn still had a number of things to improve on in the WRC series, especially the sound and the physics oddities on the verges, and still needed a fair amount of polish... but they were making progress every title. Even with some of the odd little things that needed work, I still found it a very enjoyable title and far more engaging than DR2.0.

I guess I'll still watch and see how things go, but can't say I'm excited for anything Codies anymore.

I had the same initial impression of dirt 2 as the career mode sucks and starts you with the worse possible vehicles, did you try the better faster cars out (in a custom rally), its like night and day the difference... or for that matter adjust the settings at all?

WRX = World Rally Cross
WRC = World Rally Championship

Different cars, and a different discipline.

Oh [insert deity of choice or none], not even remotely close, DR2 is still a long, long way off SLRE, particularly in regard to FFB, tarmac physics and stage design (Sweet Lamb is a good comparison between the two, being far too wide in DR2 and has the wrong layout outside of the complex area)

The only way the two are close is in that they didn't carry the WRC licence, so are able to have more diverse car lists as a result, however, even with the limited non-WRC cars in WRC8 it comes close to the feel, FFB and stage design of SLRE.

Yes but try not to get blurry with your responses. I'm 100% agreeing that SLRE is superior in most aspects, I was particularly referring with my comment to stage design as that's what we were discussing. WRC8 has some good stages yes but for me it's not in the same level as DR2 and therefore puts DR2 closer to SLRE than WRC as per my original comment.

Obviously you're a WRC game fan and I'm more into DR2 so we will both fight our own personal corners and tastes and continue spinning round in circles disagreeing and arguing with each other. I respectfully disagree with you and shall leave it there. :)

In what it comes to stage design and mileage, Codemasters is always the worst of the competition, and I hope WRC licence acquisition forces them to reconsider the problem that this will prepresent in their future WRC game where they won't be able to add the many classic cars they usually do to classic dirt and Colin McRae games.

Yes, I also mean that I don't see them scrapping EGO even up to this next generation, something that will also have a negative impact in stage design and mileage, not just in what it comes to tarmac physics, which is something they will need to look into as well, and so long they continue to use EGO then nothing good about tarmac physics will come out of it.

In what it comes to stage design and mileage, Codemasters is always the worst of the competition, and I hope WRC licence acquisition forces them to reconsider the problem.

According to the blurb with the epic games demo for ps5 they were said that there is enough power to render scans in game without any down scaling required at all. This bodes well for real life stages being rendered literally as is.

According to the blurb with the epic games demo for ps5 they were said that there is enough power to render scans in game without any down scaling required at all. This bodes well for real life stages being rendered literally as is.

An issue with the Epic blurb is, that demo isn't smooth. Another negative is, it doesn't focus on something as important as a demo using a finished game running with all of its AI, characters, battle scenes, explosions etc. The main character in that demo, looked meh close up too. The demo can't hold 30fps. Worrying! Had that been a full-on live running game scene, it would have run at 20fps. The other concern is, the Epic platform uses dynamic resolution scaling. Parts of the scene run "below native" res - and are upscaled. Bad news! If the pipeline was efficient, it wouldn't need to upscale. I'm unsure I see the fascination of a demo showing something intended to focus on realism, which cannot move realistically. We all see well beyond 144Hz/FPS. Yet their demo struggled to hit 30fps. Character animation doesn't look real at even 60fps, it's not high enough, but it helps the illusion.

Codemasters won't create stages with added realism over WRC 8. No single DEV will create stages based on 100% real as-is renders. They wouldn't make enough profit. Codemasters are entering WRC for two reasons. Status, and to milk gamers using old assets that they can charge extra for. They were bought to make them more profitable. WRC will become a complete cash-cow when their game lands. These issues aren't restricted to Codies.

SADLY (balance of probability) Codemasters will do as much for the WRC licence, as they've done for the milked-to-death F1 licence. I'm concerned. I want the genre to be pushed, not held back. How many years have Codies done Rally? They still can't get tarmac handling sorted. They even put a bunch of their own kids in rally school cars, lol. a fat lot of good that did. P.R crap. Half of us are split on DR 2.0/WRC 8, and we all deserve our opinions.

My guess is, Codemasters WRC, literally will become "a fun title anyone of any age can pick up and play". It'll run flawed physics from Dirt Rally 2.0. I also much prefer the TV camera replay footage of WRC 8 vs Codemasters. I can't even run, DiRT Rally 2.0 single stages, with my own fully custom stage conditions! Like I can WRC 8. Seriously, it's 2020 - it's a joke. That's the state of the industry at present. I'm not just bashing Codies, as I said, they're both flawed.

Let's be brutal, after all - it's our money we are spending. Both WRC 8 and DR 2.0 have a worrying amount of work to do before they become decent. Codies will run everything in-house, DiRT Rally, DiRT, and in future WRC games will release regularly, none of them will stop. Their games see so little development for them not to still appear. This is why F1 has suffered, it's not had enough time between games to get the proper jumps in development it deserves. Again, it's about money. Fair play to Kylotonn for having the balls to take a year out.

Lastly - IMHO, WRC games deserve options for long stages. As WRC 8 offers now. When the WRC licence expires with Kylotonn - I'd be interested to see a new "Kylotonn Rally" IP. They could use a previous WRC driver to endorse it. It could tap into the realism in regards to the stages they've already been involved in around the world, and then include much more classic content with the option of modern types of cars too.

The main reason is because Codies have dragged their heels and not pushed their own franchises enough. By doing so, they've held the genre back. Kunos, in a very short space of time, has done more for the sim genre than most. Choice/competition, is a good thing!!

Lastly - IMHO, WRC games deserve options for long stages. As WRC 8 offers now. When the WRC licence expires with Kylotonn - I'd be interested to see a new "Kylotonn Rally" IP. They could use a previous WRC driver to endorse it. It could tap into the realism in regards to the stages they've already been involved in around the world, and then include much more classic content with the option of modern types of cars too.

Would that just be V-Rally 5?

An issue with the Epic blurb is, that demo isn't smooth. Another negative is, it doesn't focus on something as important as a demo using a finished game running with all of its AI, characters, battle scenes, explosions etc. The main character in that demo, looked meh close up too. The demo can't hold 30fps. Worrying! Had that been a full-on live running game scene, it would have run at 20fps. The other concern is, the Epic platform uses dynamic resolution scaling. Parts of the scene run "below native" res - and are upscaled. Bad news! If the pipeline was efficient, it wouldn't need to upscale. I'm unsure I see the fascination of a demo showing something intended to focus on realism, which cannot move realistically. We all see well beyond 144Hz/FPS. Yet their demo struggled to hit 30fps. Character animation doesn't look real at even 60fps, it's not high enough, but it helps the illusion.

Codemasters won't create stages with added realism over WRC 8. No single DEV will create stages based on 100% real as-is renders. They wouldn't make enough profit. Codemasters are entering WRC for two reasons. Status, and to milk gamers using old assets that they can charge extra for. They were bought to make them more profitable. WRC will become a complete cash-cow when their game lands. These issues aren't restricted to Codies.

SADLY (balance of probability) Codemasters will do as much for the WRC licence, as they've done for the milked-to-death F1 licence. I'm concerned. I want the genre to be pushed, not held back. How many years have Codies done Rally? They still can't get tarmac handling sorted. They even put a bunch of their own kids in rally school cars, lol. a fat lot of good that did. P.R crap. Half of us are split on DR 2.0/WRC 8, and we all deserve our opinions.

My guess is, Codemasters WRC, literally will become "a fun title anyone of any age can pick up and play". It'll run flawed physics from Dirt Rally 2.0. I also much prefer the TV camera replay footage of WRC 8 vs Codemasters. I can't even run, DiRT Rally 2.0 single stages, with my own fully custom stage conditions! Like I can WRC 8. Seriously, it's 2020 - it's a joke. That's the state of the industry at present. I'm not just bashing Codies, as I said, they're both flawed.

Let's be brutal, after all - it's our money we are spending. Both WRC 8 and DR 2.0 have a worrying amount of work to do before they become decent. Codies will run everything in-house, DiRT Rally, DiRT, and in future WRC games will release regularly, none of them will stop. Their games see so little development for them not to still appear. This is why F1 has suffered, it's not had enough time between games to get the proper jumps in development it deserves. Again, it's about money. Fair play to Kylotonn for having the balls to take a year out.

The main reason is because Codies have dragged their heels and not pushed their own franchises enough. By doing so, they've held the genre back. Kunos, in a very short space of time, has done more for the sim genre than most. Choice/competition, is a good thing!!

I agree with mostly everything you said about CM taking over the WRC. I think it's very concerning. I like the fact that we have two Devs making different Rally games atm. Hopefully KT will continue to show the same level of improvement between releases right until the end-WRC 11, that way we should have a lot to keep us happy in their final game.

They will probably be very similar to the F1 games. Don’t expect a rally sim.

Last edited:
Back