College Basketball: 2022-2023 Season (Men and Women)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 67 comments
It was a rough first half being down 16. I really did feel a comeback was still possible. We did pull the lead back to as close as 1 point, but turnovers were our undoing yesterday. Free throws, which have been a strong point for the team, also weren't falling in. I will say that both big men showed up and did their thing. Edey had yet another double-double with 33 points and 18 rebounds. On the other side, Jackson-Davis had 25 points and was a menace to Purdue all game.

As annoying it is to lose to a major rival, at least it is the regular season. I would much rather lose a game now than during the Big Ten Championship or, worse yet, during the National Championship Tournament itself. Like you said, it's still only the second loss of the season. Only Houston has as few losses (and FL Atlantic if you want to count them). Purdue should retain the top spot in the rankings. #2 Tennessee had an ugly, low scoring affair in their win against Auburn. They have 2 more losses and 2 fewer wins. I do wonder if Houston will keep their #3 spot or jump ahead of Tennessee after their showing.
Purdue should be okay. This definitely helps Rutgers' resume as they have defeated the only teams that have defeated Purdue.

It was rough for Purdue to lose on the road at Indiana this past weekend. Purdue had a forgettable weekend, as the Lady Boilermakers lost to the No. 4-ranked Indiana Lady Hoosiers at home that same weekend. Indiana jumped up to No. 2 in the nation after this past weekend- the highest ranking for the Indiana women's hoops team.

Say WHAT? Look who joined the AP Men's Top 25- Rutgers University! Blitz24's Scarlet Knights are ranked No. 24 currently. Rutgers downed Michigan State this past weekend. So about three of us active GTPlaneteers have our beloved teams in the AP Top 25 in NCAA Division 1 men's basketball- Dolph Drago's top-ranked Purdue Boilermakers, my Houston Cougars at No. 2, and now Blitz24's Rutgers Scarlet Knights at No. 24.

February is a big month in college basketball, and it can all set up for a wild March of tournament basketball. So keep playing hard to get into Tournament play!

Here are three notes of mine to share...

* DOWN GOES PURDUE (AGAIN)! Northwestern pulled off an unlikely win at home hosting the Purdue Boilermakers. Northwestern was 0-18 all time against top-ranked teams until yesterday. The Wildcats won 64-58. Purdue was a big tree that fell in the forest, and they lost their No. 1 ranking in the latest poll. So meet your new No. 1 team- Alabama. The University of Houston returns to No. 2 in the AP Poll. Where's Purdue? Now 3rd.

* On the women's side, No. 1 was in action when top-ranked South Carolina Lady Gamecocks hosted the No. 3 LSU Lady Tigers. Did I mention both teams were undefeated heading into this match? EASY money for South Carolina, winning 88-65.

* The season is still going on for just about everyone, but it's over at New Mexico State University. The NM State Aggies suspended their season after accusations of harassment and sexual contact. The later shut down the season as more details emerged regarding these allegations. So we know one team that won't be making the postseason this season. The other 340+ schools, meanwhile...

That's all from me. Keep on college hoopin'! :)

I guess I picked a good game to miss. We were celebrating my nephew's birthday followed by the Super Bowl.

Too bad your Cougars can't get that #1 ranking. It seems every time they have a chance, someone jumps them. Still, barring anything crazy, I don't know see the top seeds changing for the tournament come March. I think Houston, Purdue, and Alabama are looking at #1 seeds. There's a heck of a fight behind them battling for what could be that final top spot, though.

DOWN GOES ALABAMA!

This season is marking some of the most upsets of No. 1 in a single season. In fact, I think this season is tied for the most times a No. 1 team has been beaten in a single regular season, and I think No. 1 has been upset eight times so far. Even my Houston Cougars and Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers (twice) were defeated as top-ranked teams. College basketball is a much different animal than college football. No "great" teams are in college basketball right now. Expect to see more movers and shakers do their thing as we eventually head into Selection Sunday.

By the way, Alabama lost at No. 10 Tennessee earlier this week.

Oof. About my last post and the whole "barring anything crazy" bit. It's happening. I missed yesterday's yet-another-loss for Purdue. That's 3 of the last 4. It's starting to getting worrying. Since I haven't seen the past two games, I don't know if it's other teams figuring us out, or turnovers, or...

John, I'm betting your Cougars will be #1 come Monday. But like you said, #1's have been losing at a startling rate. Let's hope Houston doesn't suffer the same fate assuming they move to the top spot. :scared:

Last edited:
The Bracket Preview was unveiled recently. Here's what was revealed:

SOUTH REGION: Alabama (No. 1 Overall)
WEST REGION: Kansas
MIDWEST REGION: Houston
EAST REGION: Purdue

Here's the extended Bracket Preview featuring 16 teams (from 1 seed to 4 seed):
SOUTH: ALABAMA, Baylor, Virginia, Indiana
WEST: KANSAS, Arizona, Kansas State, Gonzaga
MIDWEST: HOUSTON, Texas, Tennessee, Xavier
EAST: PURDUE, UCLA, Iowa State, Marquette

Remember- this is NOT the official bracket. The real deal will be filled out on Selection Sunday next month.

Cheers to Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats today, as Kentucky took down No. 10 Tennessee 66-54 at Kentucky. And congratulations to all other winners from today's/tonight's games!

The new AP Top 25 for the men was revealed, and we have a new No. 1 team. Who are they? Meet your new No. 1:

The University of Houston

Yep. The Cougars are back atop the Men's AP Top 25 polls. "Blessing and a curse" best describes No. 1 this season. Rankings don't really mean much of anything in college basketball as opposed to in college football. It's going to be interesting, though, seeing how Houston handles the pressure (again) of being the top-ranked team in the nation. The rest of the Top 5 are Alabama (2), Kansas (3), UCLA (4), and Purdue (5). Northwestern (21) and Texas A&M (25) joined the Top 25 ranks.

Speaking of Purdue, Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers will get some national TV time on Saturday night on FOX, as they'll host the No. 17 Indiana Hoosiers.

If you're looking for a game tonight, Kansas pays a visit to TCU tonight. You can see this game on ESPN at 9 PM Eastern Time.

Enjoy this week's action!

An alarming situation of late involves gun violence with one University of Alabama men's basketball player named as a suspect. No official charges have been filed against current Alabama player Brandon Miller. Miller remains on the team.

This story is a big deal because Alabama is one of the highest-ranked teams (No. 2 in the nation as of the time of this post). This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal if this involved some team like (semi-name dropping) Mississippi Valley State, New Jersey Institute of Technology or somebody like that. Alabama's latest game was at South Carolina, and the Crimson Tide downed the South Carolina Gamecocks 78-76 in Overtime.

We'll see how things go at time goes along.

It is March. To nearly any college basketball fan, March is the month where the real magic happens. This is the month where conference tournaments happen leading up to Selection Sunday. Then, of course, the big one- tournament play. Hundreds of schools will try to make their case to make the postseason, but only so few of them will actually get in. Enjoy this month of March, college hoops fans!

Later tonight, the tournament selections will be made. I will be sure to post what teams are going where and who they will face. It may also be of interest as to the "Last Four In" and "First Four Out." As is the case in these usual posts, once the tournament brackets are released, DO NOT wait on me to post the brackets. Just check into this thread and talk about the matchups. I will be sure to let you in on all the matchups.

Both Purdue and Houston will be playing in their respective conference championship games at roughly the same time today. Let's hope for some wins. :cheers: Win or lose, Houston will have a #1 seed in the bracket. Purdue is a little more iffy.

March Madness 2023 is set! Let's look at the brackets for this season:

NO. 1 SEEDS:
  • Alabama (Overall No. 1)
  • Houston
  • Kansas
  • Purdue

ALIGNMENT:
  • South vs. East
  • Midwest vs. West

--- SOUTH REGION ---
Birmingham, Alabama (Thursday and Saturday)
#1 Alabama vs. #16 (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi/Southeast Missouri State)
#8 Maryland vs. #9 West Virginia

Orlando, FL (Thursday and Saturday)
#5 San Diego State vs. #12 Charleston
#4 Virginia vs. #13 Furman

Denver, CO (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Creighton vs. #11 North Carolina State
#3 Baylor vs. #14 California-Santa Barbara

Sacramento, CA (Thursday and Saturday)
#7 Missouri vs. #10 Utah State
#2 Arizona vs. #15 Princeton

--- EAST REGION ---
Columbus, OH (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Purdue vs. #16 (Texas Southern/Fairleigh Dickinson)
#8 Memphis vs. #9 Florida Atlantic

Orlando, FL (Thursday and Saturday)
#5 Duke vs. #12 Oral Roberts
#4 Tennessee vs. #13 Louisiana-Lafayette

Greensboro, NC (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Kentucky vs. #11 Providence
#3 Kansas State vs. #14 Montana State

Columbus, OH (Friday and Sunday)
#7 Michigan State vs. #10 USCal
#2 Marquette vs. #15 Vermont

--- MIDWEST REGION ---
Birmingham, AL (Thursday and Saturday)
#1 Houston vs. #16 Northern Kentucky
#8 Iowa vs. #9 Auburn

Albany, NY (Friday and Sunday)
#5 Miami (FL) vs. #12 Drake
#4 Indiana vs. #13 Kent State

Greensboro, NC (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Iowa State vs. #11 (Mississippi State/Pittsburgh)
#3 Xavier vs. #14 Kennesaw State

Des Moines, IA (Thursday and Saturday)
#7 Texas A&M vs. #10 Penn State
#2 Texas vs. #15 Colgate

--- WEST REGION ---
Des Moines, IA (Thursday and Saturday)
#1 Kansas vs. #16 Howard
#8 Arkansas vs. #9 Illinois

Albany, NY (Friday and Sunday)
#5 St. Mary's vs. #12 Virginia Commonwealth
#4 Connecticut vs. #13 Iona

Denver, CO (Friday and Sunday)
#6 TCU vs. #11 (Arizona State/Nevada)
#3 Gonzaga vs. #14 Grand Canyon

Sacramento, CA (Thursday and Saturday)
#7 Northwestern vs. #10 Boise State
#2 UCLA vs. #15 North Carolina-Asheville

--- OTHER OBSERVATIONS ---
LAST FOUR IN: Mississippi State, Pittsburgh, Arizona State, Nevada
FIRST FOUR OUT: OK State, Rutgers, North Carolina, Clemson

Well, ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. So let me review a few notes...

* My Houston Cougars will meet the Norse of Northern Kentucky University.

* Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers won the B1G title on a wild finish against No. 10 Penn State, and Purdue is rewarded by taking on either the Texas Southern Tigers or the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights. It would have been the Merrimack Warriors over Fairleigh Dickinson, but because Merrimack College hasn't been in NCAA Division 1 for at least four years, they were denied tournament access. It was the same fate that befell

* Jordan's Kentucky Wildcats made it in, and this basketball powerhouse will meet the Friars of Providence College. Despite Kentucky's woes this season, they still got in. Kentucky is in the NCAA Tournament for the 60th ever time. That's the most all-time of any current NCAA Division 1 school.

* Kentucky and Duke get into the Tournament; North Carolina, meanwhile, does not. Goes to show that because you're a basketball powerhouse, it isn't your birthright to be in the NCAA Tournament. Got to earn it.

If the pace of the regular season is any indication, this season's March Madness is going to be as insane as any other. There is no team of destiny and not really any great teams. College basketball is a finnicky sport. Stress levels will be through the roof hoping your favorite team wins the championship or if your bracket actually holds up. Being a higher seed just means that much more pressure to win it all. That pressure becomes astronommical if your beloved school is a No. 1 seed, like my Houston Cougars or Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers. In fact, it COULD be a Houston-Purdue National Championship game if both are fortunate enough to get that far. Those not good enough for the NCAA Tournament will have to settle for the NIT, CBI, or whatever other tournaments there are.

Don't be entirely scared of what I just discussed. All I am saying is that college basketball is one of the most exciting sports to follow all year for a reason. Even people who couldn't care less about college basketball somehow get into it. I'm talking to folks who have office pools at work or something.

Enjoy March Madness 2023! I'll get the NCAA Division 1 Women's Brackets in a future post (later tonight, actually).

Still don't know why the committee shafted Texas A&M with such a low seed AND left out Rutgers entirely.

The men's March Madness for NCAA Division 1 was set. Now, let's give the ladies some spotlight. Here's the Women's March Madness brackets for this season:

--- No. 1 SEEDS ---
  • South Carolina (Overall No. 1)
  • Indiana
  • Virginia Tech
  • Stanford

--- ALIGNMENTS ---
  • Greenville 1 vs. Seattle 4
  • Greenville 2 vs. Seattle 3

--- GREENVILLE 1 REGION ---
Columbia, SC (Friday and Sunday)
#1 South Carolina vs. #16 Norfolk State
#8 South Florida vs. #9 Marquette

Los Angeles, CA (Saturday and Monday)
#5 Oklahoma vs. #12 Portland
#4 UCLA vs. #13 Sacramento State

South Bend, IN (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Creighton vs. #11 (Illinois/Mississippi State)
#3 Notre Dame vs. #14 Southern Utah

College Park, MD (Thursday and Saturday)(?)
#7 Arizona vs. #10 West Virginia
#2 Maryland vs. #15 Holy Cross

--- SEATTLE 4 REGION ---
Stanford, CA (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Stanford vs. #16 (Southern/Sacred Heart)
#8 Ole Miss vs. #9 Gonzaga

Austin, TX (Saturdy and Mnoday)
#5 Louisville vs. #12 Drake
#4 Texas vs. #13 East Carolina

Durham, NC (Saturday and Monday)
#6 Colorado vs. #11 Middle Tennessee State
#3 Duke vs. #14 Iona

Iowa City, IA (Friday and Sunday)
#7 Florida State vs. #10 Georgia
#2 Iowa vs. #15 Southeastern Louisiana

--- GREENVILLE 2 REGION ---
Bloominghon, IN (Saturday and Monday)
#1 Indiana vs. #16 (Tennessee Tech/Monmouth)
#8 Oklahoma State vs. #9 Miami (FL)

Villanova, PA (Saturday and Monday)
#5 Washington State vs. #12 Florida Gulf Coast
#4 Villanova vs. #13 Cleveland State

Baton Rouge, LA (Friday and Sunday)
#6 Michigan vs. #11 UNLV
#3 LSU vs. #14 Hawaii/Hawai'i

Salt Lake City, UT (Friday and Sunday)
#7 North Carolina State vs. #10 Princeton
#2 Utah vs. #15 Gardner-Webb

--- SEATTLE 3 REGION ---
Blacksburg, VA (Friday and Sunday)
#1 Virginia Tech vs. #16 Chattanooga
#8 USCal vs. #9 South Dakota State

Knoxville, TN (Saturday and Monday)
#5 Iowa State vs. #12 Toledo
#4 Tennessee vs. #13 Saint Louis

Columbus, OH (Saturday and Monday)
#6 North Carolina vs. #11 (Purdue/St. John's)
#3 Ohio State vs. #14 James Madison

Storrs, CT (Saturday and Monday)
#7 Baylor vs. #10 Alabama
#2 Connecticut vs. #15 Vermont

The Men's Final Four this season will be in Houston; the Women's Final Four will be in Dallas. So which teams will be in Dallas for the Women's Final Four? The journey begins this weekend!

Last edited:
Still don't know why the committee shafted Texas A&M with such a low seed AND left out Rutgers entirely.

You know, Blitz24, you got a point. Rutgers knocked off Purdue earlier this season but still don't get some recognition? Texas A&M wasn't exactly a baller school on the men's side this season, but I'd imagine Rutgers would get just a bit more respect from the tournament committee. After all, we usually put an emphasis on who you beat and then what happens to the team you beat. Rutgers downed No. 1 Purdue, Purdue goes on to win the B1G tournament... and Rutgers gets shafted like this? Even Northwestern got in, and they knocked off Purdue. I would have given a bit more respect to what Rutgers did.

You know, Blitz24, you got a point. Rutgers knocked off Purdue earlier this season but still don't get some recognition? Texas A&M wasn't exactly a baller school on the men's side this season, but I'd imagine Rutgers would get just a bit more respect from the tournament committee. After all, we usually put an emphasis on who you beat and then what happens to the team you beat. Rutgers downed No. 1 Purdue, Purdue goes on to win the B1G tournament... and Rutgers gets shafted like this? Even Northwestern got in, and they knocked off Purdue. I would have given a bit more respect to what Rutgers did.
I fully agree Rutgers should have made it in. One doesn't simply knock off a #1 ranked team, the team that also were the regular season conference champs, AND won their conference tournament, without some skill. They deserved better.

And not that it counts towards this season obviously, but they did the same to Purdue last year.

Last edited:
Let the Madness begin! Tomorrow starts the "First Four," in which low-seeded teams try to play their way into the full tournament. It will be interesting to see whose seasons will continue and whose will end.

The NCAA Tournament may have its strongest teams and its weakest teams all with hopes of winning a National Championship, but there is no team of destiny or no truly great team to win it all. You're going to get every team's best shot, and no one school can afford to have a true clunker of a game. It is essentially "Win or Go Home." This can be both exciting and scary to follow any postseason tournament- let alone March Madness. So enjoy the action as it happens!

[UPDATE] The "First Four" begins tomorrow. Changes made.

Last edited:
March Madness begins proper today! The 68 teams that got in are now down to 64. Only time will tell who will play in Houston for the Final Four on the men's side and in Dallas on the women's side.

No matter who all are playing, every team is going to give their best shot. Your season can come to a vicious, heart-breaking end either on the heels of a lackluster performance or even on a buzzer-beating game winner. You can't take anyone lightly because anything can happen. Just ask when the University of Maryland-Baltimore County- a No. 16 seed, defeated and embarrassed No. 1 Virginia in the past. No. 15 seeds shocked No. 2 seeds also. If your favorite school made it this far, all you want is for that team to either win it all or put up an impressive postseason run. A perfect bracket isn't possible, but the stress is going to be intense.

Having said all of this... enjoy March Madness!

Last edited:
DOWN GOES PURDUE!

I was watching a Twitch stream when I heard an announcement of Purdue falling to the Fairleigh Dickinson University Knights. Purdue becomes the second-ever No. 1 to fall to a No. 16 since when UMBC downed Virginia in 2018. FDU won 63-58 over Purdue. That's a wow. So Purdue is singing the blues among higher seeds along with Arizon (Def. by no. 15 Princeton) and Virginia (def. by No. 13 Furman). Three No. 1 seeds remain.

As an off-topic note, I saw when No. 16 Harvard defeated No. 1 Stanford in 1998. It's been the only time (I Know of) when a No. 16 defeated a No. 1 in women's tournament play.

I've been so conditioned to watching Purdue, the Bengals, and Reds lose in big time games, that it doesn't even bother me anymore.

This isn't football, but this was the "Wildcat Bowl." The Kansas State Wildcats knocked off the Kentucky Wildcats earlier today 75-69. So the season is over for @Jordan 's Wildcats. Kentucky should be commended for even making March Madness despite an up-and-down 2022-2023 season.

Unless any other GTPlanet regulars have a certain favorite team, my Houston Cougars are the last hope for an NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball National Champion from GTPlanet.

16. It's supposed to be sweet, and it is. However, it isn't so sweet if you get bopped from the Tournament in this stage. Men and women will try to reach the Round of 8 in their respective brackets. A handful of matches are coming up between tonight and Sunday. Enjoy this Round of 16!

DOWN GOES HOUSTON!

It's OVER, Houston fans... No. 1 Houston falls to No. 5 Miami 89-75. I was not confident UH would be National Champs. Now, they'll be in Houston... watching instead of playing. Great season, University of Houston...

Last hope for a National Champion from a GTPlaneteer is gone.

For the first time in NCAA March Madness history, there will be NO No. 1 seeds. Purdue, Kansas, Houston, and Alabama all lost and will not be part of the Final Four in Houston. We'll have to see who will become kings of the NCAA Division 1 Men's basketball world once the Final Four begins next week.

Alabama failed against San Diego State 71-64 tonight.

I know it seems like we say this every year, but this tournament seems to be exceptionally crazy and unpredictable.

Thanks to the extra years of COVID eligibility for seniors and the "transfer portal", there is so much parity in college basketball right now. I did think it would be cool for UH to actually play for the national championship in Houston, @JohnBM01. Sorry to see you guys out of the running but you had a great year.

FAU, baby! Hoot Salute!

My FAU vs UM local derby final is still a possibility.

I was going to pop in here and mention Florida Atlantic and Omnis. Whomever honestly had the FAU Owls in the Final Four... you're awesome.

Speaking of awesome, I'd like to congratulate some National Champions that were crowned lately...
  • NCAA D2 Men: Nova Southeastern (FL), defeating West Liberty (WV) <<< Nova SE finished season undefeated, 7th D2 men's team to do so.
  • NCAA D3 Men: Christopher Newport (VA), defeating Mount Union (OH)

I usually know the Mount Union Purple Raiders as a football power, but cool their men's basketball played in the title game.

The men's 2022-2023 Final Four is set! Your Final Four is: Florida Atlantic, Connecticut, San Diego State, and Miami (FL). And your Final Four matches in Houston will go like this:

• San Diego State vs. Florida Atlantic
  • Miami vs. Connecticut

So by this logic, we WILL have a mid-major in the National Championship game. Get ready for next weekend- Final Four is a-comin'! And as far as GTPlanet goes, Omnis, your FAU Owls are the new last hope for a GTPlaneteer's school to win the National Championship. Good luck to the Owls!

Back