• 45 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
corvettec6megu8.jpg

No... this isn't my car. I don't have a license, remember? I'm not a fan of the Corvette C6's looks, remember? This Corvette C6 drop-top is an indication that we're motoring towards March Madness. Welcome to February. It is a pretty good month, isn't it? You got Valentine's Day. You got Black History Month. Presidents' Day is there. However, February takes on much greater meaning in college basketball. The end of February marks the eye of the storm. It's time to think about what teams will make the dance. Lots of positions are up for grabs en route to Selection Sunday. Will your favorite team make it (granted your favorite isn't an Independent)? GTPlanet, it's time to get serious now. There are an estimated 320 to 330 Division 1 schools eligible for March Madness consideration. Only 65 will be selected. Meaning that somewhere around 250 or 260 schools will either have to settle for the NIT or just look forward to next season WAY in November 2007. Here are the ways to make the tourney:

(1) win your conference's title
(2) get an at-large berth (need to convince America and the NCAA selection committee that you deserve a title shot)

This is a month where we will see the Bracketbusters in about two or three weeks from now. College football fans, think of Bracketbusters as BCS busters in FBS/1-A. Like when Boise State went unbeaten and took down Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. It's that time of year. Your team needs to succeed if they want to make Selection Sunday. So let's do February!

But first, let's begin with an extra.

Who's Your Player of the Year?
The latest edition of Sports Illustrated has six players on Page 78. They include the following:

* Alando Tucker (Wisconsin)
* Nick Fazekas (Nevada)
* Aaron Brooks (Oregon)
* Greg Oden (Ohio State)
* Kevin Durant (Texas)
* A.J. Graves (Butler)

Most of the talk this season has been about Greg Oden. Alando Tucker and Kevin Durant have helped their teams greatly. A rant would be that Durant helped save Texas from being upset at Texas Tech. Meanwhile, Alando Tucker and his boys didn't get it done in Bloomington, IN against the Hoosiers. Oregon's (they play UCLA tonight) Aaron Brooks helped sink UCLA's battleship earlier this season. Nick Fazekas hasn't been talked about all that much from some of the media I've been watching and reading.

Let's start with the women. What? Is there a rule that states that I have to start with guys? Keep in mind, players. I started these daily college basketball discussions. I've made these discussions, so I can do almost anything I want as long as it's within the rules. We'll get to the men in a moment. But let's start with the ladies. We got trouble early.

(Women's Hoops) Lady Bulldogs Ready to Challenge Lady Tigers
* #7 LSU at #14 Georgia
You know how girls like to say that whatever boys can do, girls can do better? Well, that's probably true... in the SEC, at least. A number of teams are #25 rock-solid women's teams.
Buzzer-beating shot knocks off LSU in an upset. Thank Ashley Houts for knocking off the game-winning shot. She was the gamebreaker who have LSU their second SEC loss and third overall loss. BIG win for the Athens, GA girls. (53-51; #14 GEORGIA) *upset!*

Yellow Jackets Look to Sting a Top 5 Team
* #4 Maryland at Georgia Tech
Maryland is certainly stumbling. My GTP buddy, JTSnooks is likely loving to see his Georgia Tech Lady Yellow Jackets(77-72; GEORGIA TECH) *upset!*

(Women's Hoops)
* South Carolina at #?? Tennessee
Allow me to be brief. This was simply a beatdown. Something like this is more like when a girl steals another girl's boyfriend, and this scorned girl wants to confront the boyfriend-stealing girl. In the end, Tennessee's Lady Volunteers basically handed the South Carolina Lady Gamecocks a new set of teeth. No contest! (72-36; #?? TENNESSEE) *OWNAGE!!!*

(Women's Hoops) Bluegrass Divas Want to Put Nashville on Notice
* #15Vanderbilt at Kentucky
Vanderbilt University meets the University of Kentucky. No Tubby Smith this time. Are Kentucky's girls just as good as their guys? Is Vandy for real? Let's find out. Vanderbilt University is in Nashville, Tennessee. You may remember that Vanderbilt's men's team knocked off Kentucky in Kentucky. The Lady Commodores will look to show Kentucky that they aren't the class of SEC women's basketball. Looking to take exception was Kentucky. You already know about the guys. So what about the ladies? I'm a "Ladies First" kind of guy. I'm usually humble and kind. So are Kentucky's ladies... except when Rupp Arena has some UK fans and Kentucky are in their outfits. The Lady Wildcats are actually the (no pun intended) underdogs in this match. I usually see Tennessee and LSU as the conference powers of SEC women's hoops. But fear not. While Kentucky isn't a conference power in women's hoops, they are still a sensational team to watch if you love UK hoops. Time for some girl power! Oh... so close, yet so far. Kentucky loses by a nose as Vanderbilt survives a scare. Wow... first the men beat Kentucy's boys... now they've beaten Kentucky's girls. Coincidentally- at Rupp Arena. Ouch. (63-62; #15 Vanderbilt)

(Women's Hoops) (Extra) History Made in Division 2
Herb Magee of non-football school, Philadelphia University, has made history by winning his 829th game

We seen some talented girls. Now let's see some boys throw down the rock.

* #?? Duke at Virginia
Durham, North Carolina is quiet. That's because Duke isn't in town. Sad news? Depends on who you are. Duke's making a business trip to Charlottesville, VA to meet Virginia's boys. This is a battle between two teams that had sorry ACC campaigns in football (what do you expect from Duke?). Duke University is closely connected to Hell. That's because these teams are devilish at both ends of the court. But these boys wear blue because blue is cool. And that's what makes the Blue Devils the Blue Devils. The Virginia Cavaliers are one of over 300+ teams that want to shut Duke up for good. UVA did just that in a stunning upset. If you hate Duke, make some noise up in this place! (68-66; VIRGINIA) *upset!*

--- Washington/Arizona Challenge ---

Cool Cats Clash Crazily
* #17 Washington State at #22 Arizona
Last season, it was Gonzaga that was the talk of the state of Washington. Now, it's Washington State. Why WSU? It's because Washington has struggled so far. Hell, even Washington State knocked Washington's teeth out in a blowout some time back. Now Washington State needs to teach some felines some respect. But it won't be easy. They are facing Arizona- a team that has something Washington State doesn't- a National Championship. Arizona hasn't been dominant as more people care about Arizona basketball than their pathetic football team. This, even though their football team shocked California and prevented them from a possible BCS berth. The Wildcats of Tuscon, Arizona are ready to make a statement to the boys of the Pacific Northwest. Washington State is likely in North Central Washington in the city of Pullman. Washington State seen their rivals in Seattle struggle. It's safe to say that Washington State has the best Cougars in the nation (no Houston jokes) this season. Coogs and 'Cats. Who takes it? Washington State takes top honors in this one. (72-66; Washington State)

* Washington at Arizona State
The Washington Huskies knocked off the worst Pac-10 men's basketball team- the Arizona State Sun Devils. (66-61; Washington)

So the state of Washington wins this one.
-end "Washington/Arizona Challenge"

Detroit RAPID FIRE
--- Men ---
* Wisconsin-Green Bay at Detroit (76-72; DETROIT) <<< big win over the best Horizon League team that isn't Butler
--- Women ---
* Detroit at Wisconsin-Milwaukee (63-54; WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE)

The War of the Saints
* Saint Louis at Saint Joseph's
Two more big cities are ready to go at it. The Atlantic 10 is the conference for this matchup as this match takes center stage in Philadelphia. You better know your schools when you talk Philadelphia. Over six schools comprise schools playing Division 1 basketball in Philadelphia. They are usually known as the "Philadelphia Five." Add Drexel, and you have the "City Six." It's Saint Louis University heading to Saint Joseph's for a little throwdown action. And in the end, the Billikens handed the Saint Joseph's Hawks a hard loss. (73-62; Saint Louis)

STFU SHSU?
* Texas-San Antonio at Sam Houston State
I know you all love coming to Texas with my Texas reports. ^_^ I'm going to spoil you with Lone Star love. Doing the honors are San Antonio's UTSA, and Hunstville's SHSU. Let's meet these two players. Sam Houston State University is named for the man who helped name my hometown. You can visit Herman Park here in Houston and see an arch that bears the likeness of Sam Houston. The Bearkats (the way they spell it) have actually done quite well. They have a very nice fight song. So does Texas-San Antonio. The University of Texas-San Antonio is America's largest-size school that doesn't have a football team (at least not yet according to UTSA). (76-64; SAM HOUSTON STATE)

Madison Square Garden is Ready to Meet Washington, D.C.'s Finest
* Georgetown at St. John's
I've taken you to Texas. Now I'm taking you to New York City. Take a look at the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, Yankee Stadium, Times Square, "Ground Zero," the United Nations Building... you're enjoying the New York City lifestyle for this report. Something you may not be enjoying is St. John's fall apart in Big East basketball. Their fight song is featured in 2K Sports' "College Hoops 2K7." The Red Storm have kind of a fight song that's more like one of those extra songs played by the band. Maybe it has an Indian tone to it since St. John's used to be known as the Redmen. One of their more classical teams in their illustrious history was the 1985 St. John's (then) Redmen. Let's go from a team that has no known championships to a team that has at least a title. Georgetown University is based in Washington, D.C. MANY proud alum come from Georgetown including (but not limited to) Dikembe Mutumbo, Patrick Ewing, and R&B star Amerie. Read Wikipedia's entry on all the famous alums of Georgetown. It will drive you crazy. So will Hoyas' basketball. The battle ground is Madison Square Garden. The Knicks are terrible, but are St. John's? Georgetown whitewashed St. John's from one side of New York City to the other. Turn away, kids. This was ugly OWNAGE. (72-48; Georgetown)

(Extra) Is St. John's Still the Premier Basketball School in New York City?
St. John's hasn't been at their best in a while now. The way I came into learning about college basketball, St. John's was one of the best teams in the Big East, much less the nation. Their offical city is Jamaica, NY. They are no doubt still the finest team in New York City or any of its boroughs or suburbs. It's just that St. John's has yet to really find their stride and actually come up as the kings of not only New York, but the Big East. It isn't going to get any easier with teams like Pittsburgh, Marquette, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Georgetown making waves in the Big East. It's going to take some time for St. John's to really explode and return to their former glory.

You can get more scores here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-01&c=all&refresh=0
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-01&c=all&refresh=0

The Road to March Madness is on!

Did you get your chips? Dip? Favorite soda or beer? The big game is on Sunday in football. But in college basketball, a bunch of teams are ready to get you ready for the Saturday Shootout before Super Bowl day. Not too many teams play on Friday. Then too, most of the Friday teams aren't usually power schools. We'll be heading down the road to March Madness, and I'm here to take you all with me. So let's take a ride!

We begin in the state of New York. I'm actually going to stay along the East Coast for this one.

Did Niagara Fall Like Their Treasured Waterfall?
* Manhattan at Niagara
Welcome to Niagara Falls, New York. There's that famous fountain not too far away. One would think that Niagara Falls has a favorite color- purple. Did you know it's the most treasured color in Niagara Falls? That, at least, according to students and fans of Niagara University. There's plenty of green grass in Niagara Falls, but they don't like teams in green. Case in point- Manhattan College. Which of these two New York state schools got it done in Niagara Falls? Let's meet Manhattan. "New York is our classroom." That's a quote from a commercial for St. John's University. However, the same could be said for almost ANY New York school. Such schools in the greater New York area include Columbia University, Stony Brook University, Brooklyn College, Fordham University, the very popular New York University, former National Champions- the City College of New York, Long Island University, St. John's University... I'm pooped! But not Manhattan College. This religious-type college is the buzz of New York City other than the New York Fashion Show Week going on right now. Most guys aren't mall rats, but these Jaspers are representing the Big Apple by heading WAY west. Niagara University is another religious institution. Niagara University made it to March Madness two times in the school's history. The Purple Eagles need to work hard to make their third in the near future. They're looking great after this win. (??-?? NIAGARA)

More MAAC Action... This Time, Involving Another New York (State) Team
* Fairfield at Canisius
Welcome to Buffalo, New York. We are not far from where our last game was. The hometown crowd were the Golden Griffins (or Golden Griffiths) of Canisius College. These boys were unfortunate in taking down the Fairfield Stags. (67-63; Fairfield)

(Women's Hoops) Devilish Ladies Avenge the Loss Their Men Suffered
* #1 Duke at Virgnia
What a shock! The Cameron Crazies that supported Duke's boys had to see Duke fall in Charlottesville, VA. The damsels in distress were the guys in this case. Now, it's the LADIES picking up the tab for the Duke boys. The Lady Blue Devils want to not be blanked by Virginia. But it will be Duke's ladies looking to take on the Virginia Lady Cavaliers. Were these ladies cavalier in beating Duke? Duke ended up saving the men from further embarassment. (76-61; #1 Duke)

Come get your other Groundhog Day scores here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-02&c=all&refresh=0
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-02&c=all&refresh=0

Here is an NBA focus:

NBA FOCUS

* The Boston Celtics have endured a huge loss as they would lose to the Los Angeles Clippers at home. The Celtics would lose by 11 in a final score of 100-89. This is their 14th-straight loss, which is the most in franchise history.

Select other NBA scores:
* Los Angeles Lakers at Indiana Pacers (95-86; INDIANA PACERS)
* Golden State Warriors at Philadelphia 76ers (102-101; Golden State Warriors)
* Portland Trailblazers at Denver Nuggets (114-107, OT; DENVER NUGGETS)

* And locally, my hometown Houston Rockets will play tomorrow night. They will take on the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets at Toyota Center (where WWE Friday Night Smackdown! was at tonight). No Yao Ming. Players I am really loving are Georgetown's Dikembe Mutumbo, Illinois' Luther Head, Duke's Shane Battier, and Kentucky's Chuck Hayes. Rafer Alson and Juwan Howard are also solid players for my hometown's NBA team. And I'm a firm believer in Tracy McGrady. This should be a good game.

For any other NBA scores you may be interested in knowing about, check out this link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/scoreboard?d=2007-02-02&refresh=0

-end "NBA Focus"

Saturday's forthcoming! We got teams like Kansas, Kentucky, and many more playing this weekend. I'll try to cover both coasts yet again.

JOHN'S EXTRA

--- Yes, That's Me in the Corvette in the Top Post! ---
So how do I look? That's me in the Corvette C6 at the Houston Auto Show last weekend. How you like me?

Thanks for reading! Saturday b-ball is coming up! Come back later on Saturday night or early Sunday morning to see what went down on Saturday.

This is the first Saturday of February. Selection Sunday is way later this month. Will your team make the Dance? Go on a nationwide tour with me. Why? Because I love reporting this stuff for you guys and girls.

I want to try something different for this one. I want to start out west. I'd like to check out how the Nevada boys play around with the rock.

Meet Nevada
* Hawaii at #15 Nevada
It's to visit The Biggest Little City in the World. It's Reno, Nevada. The University of Nevada is a top 20 team. It was CLOSE, but the Wolfpack barely escapes with a win over the Hawaii [Rainbow] Warriors. (69-68; #15 NEVADA)

--- Upset Pack ---
Let's do some upsets. Not as many stories... just upsets. You ready to take this one in?

1983 National Champs Meet Against the Chapel Hill Juggernauts
* #3 North Carolina at North Carolina State
(83-79; NORTH CAROLINA STATE) *upset!*

Don't Forget That Other Los Angeles Team in Basketball!
* #9 Oregon at USCal
(71-68; SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA) *upset!*

Clemson May Be Overrated
* #1? Clemson at Georgia Tech
(82-62; GEORGIA TECH) *upset!*

America's Largest and Most Popular Jesuit School Looks for an Upset
* #1? Virginia Tech at Boston College
(80-59; BOSTON COLLEGE) *upset!*

Boulder Boys Stone Oklahoma State
* #14 Oklahoma State at Colorado
(89-77; COLORADO) *upset!*

Underrated Kansas State Overrates Texas
* Kansas State at #23 Texas
(73-72; Kansas State) *upset!*

So Iowa Doesn't Suck in Hoops...
* #25 Indiana at Iowa
(81-75; IOWA) *upset!*

That's a lot of upsets! Which do you think hurt the most? Don't forget to reply on your views of these upsets.

-end "Upset Pack"

More scores now.

Motor City Looking for a Victory in a Less-Than-Stellar Season
* Wright State at Detroit
The University of Detroit-Mercy College is ready for action as is Calihan Hall. UDM is looking to get more wins while Dayton, Ohio's Wright State is looking for a move up the ladder in the Horizon League. Wright State is in Dayton, OH. They are a non-football school that is a (I believe) a public Urban university. The Raiders wear green and white. But their opposition wears the home white along with red and blue accents. That would be Detroit. The University of Detroit-Mercy College will not be denied no matter what any Raider dare say. That's because the Titans are ready to slam the basketball in Wright State's collective faces. Only thing that got slammed was Detroit. (66-59; Wright State)

Love to Hate: City of Brotherly Love Throwdown
* Louisville at Villanova
The Wachovia Center in Philadelphia is the host site of this match. The red-clad boys from the Bluegrass State hit the road for action and adventure in the City of Brotherly Love. Trouble is... there won't be any love lost when Louisville looks to scramble Villanova's brains. The Cardinals were flying high over Villanova... until the Villanova Wildcats shot down the Wildcats like Villanova was playing "Duck Hunt." Or for them... "Cardinal Hunt." (57-53; VILLANOVA)

LOUISVILLE'S NEXT GAME: 2/7 vs. Georgetown

Feed the Pigs
* Kentucky at Arkansas
FoolKiller's boys are in Arkansas for a little match. UK is going up against the University of Arkansas. Arkansas loved watching their football team have a great run. Can the men's basketball team show the same stride? The Razorbacks of Arkansas are perhaps the most intimidating pigs anywhere. I guess Kentucky didn't have the kind of breakfast they wanted for this match. I think Tubby Smith and his boys didn't want to go grocery shopping for bacon. So instead, the Wildcats went out to Arkansas and turn the Razorbacks into bacon. Ahh... sweet breakfast. Kentucky will be returning to Lexington by giving their students plenty of Razorback bacon. Breakfast, anyone? (82-74; Kentucky)

KENTUCKY'S NEXT GAME: 2/7 vs. South Carolina (Gamecocks want revenge from 1/16 loss... but at Rupp Arena this time)

#1 in Gainesville, but #1 Against Tennessee?
* Tennessee at #1 Florida
You bet! The Florida Gators turned Tennessee into Volunteer orange juice. (94-78; #1 FLORIDA)

FLORIDA'S NEXT FIVE GAMES:
2/7 - at Georgia
2/10 - at Kentucky
2/14 - Alabama
2/17 - at Vanderbilt
2/21 - South Carolina

JOHN'S OVERVIEW: - In my view, I think every game except South Carolina could be a trap game. Georgia and Vanderbilt have been very surprising. Alabama had been on a great roll. Also, don't forget about the seven-time National Champions at Kentucky. Tennessee will exact their revenge against Florida in Knoxville on 2/27. Then, they'll end the season at home against Kentucky on 3/4.

OWNED!!!
* Oregon State at #3 UCLA
Just look at what the UCLA Bruins did to Oregon State. If this isn't an exorcising, I don't know what is. (82-35; CALIFORNIA-LOS ANGELES)

--- Houston Pack ---
Hometown love, players. Can you dig it?

Houston Looks to Extend Win Streak to Six
* Houston at UTEP
Houston wanted six. But when they headed into El Paso at the school once known as Texas Western College, the 1966 National Champion Miners took Houston to school. The Cougars didn't make the grade against the boys from UTEP. (79-71; TEXAS-EL PASO)

Rice Rockets Their Way to a Win
* East Carolina at Rice
Rice University is the home school here. It can be found in the northwesternmost shadow of the Texas Medical Center and close to the Houston Museum District. Only thing on display was Owls' basketball as East Carolina's Pirates were dead weight. (83-74; RICE)

Texas Southern Fights for HBCU Pride in Texas
* Prairie View A&M at Texas Southern (RIVALRY GAME)
Meet the only NCAA HBCU's in Texas- Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern. The maligned Texas Southern University sees their basketball team fair pretty well. The Tigers are ready to take on the team with perhaps the ugliest feline art of any school. The Prairie View A&M Panthers have a horrible-looking Panther logo. Georgia State's panther looks better. High Point's panther looks better. And by a nose, PV gets it done in Houston. (66-65; Prairie View A&M)

-end "Houston Pack"

Southern Hopes Their Win Total Goes North
* Grambling State at Southern (RIVALRY GAME: Bayou Classic)
I told you. I TOLD you. College basketball can be more unpredictable than college football. Both of these teams know football as both of these are two of the best SWAC football teams other than Alabama A&M. (76-43; SOUTHERN)

More Saturday scores here. So come get them!
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-03&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-03&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Well, my cats were up by 8, then down by 14, and then right back up again. It was a crazy heart attack inducing game but fun nonetheless.

Next we have the Gamecocks and if they think they will get revenge in Rupp they need to think again.

So let's talk, FoolKiller. I know Kentucky gets South Carolina next, but do you see this game more as a tune-up for their match on February 10th when Florida comes to Rupp Arena? How do you beat South Carolina with this Kentucky squad? And what are the chances (out of 100%) that Kentucky beats Florida... (1) in Lexington, and (2) in Gainesville in March?

All I know is that stranger things happen. I actually have a Sunday package where I tried only to cover teams from Indianapolis, Chicago, and Miami. No known games were played by any team from these three cities. So I have a collection of Feature Schools.

And to end things, I ask... What is wrong with Duke? Duke is usually an unbeaten force. They start ACC play dropping their first two decisions. They lost on Sunday at home against Florida State. Florida State clearly isn't a conference power, so my debate question is:

John's Debate! - Is Duke still a national power even with these losses they have endured?

The Duke/North Carolina game (Round 1 of 2) is forthcoming. Duke CAN'T lose to North Carolina if they want to retain their dominating status.

So let's talk, FoolKiller. I know Kentucky gets South Carolina next, but do you see this game more as a tune-up for their match on February 10th when Florida comes to Rupp Arena? How do you beat South Carolina with this Kentucky squad? And what are the chances (out of 100%) that Kentucky beats Florida... (1) in Lexington, and (2) in Gainesville in March?
My philosophy is that each game is separate so no game is a tune up. And Tubby knows that treating any game like a preperation for a larger game, or esentially looking beyond your current game to the next, will make you lose your current game. You cannot play South Carolina like you have to play Florida. If they do that they will lose to Florida.

The way to beat South Carolina with this Kentucky squad is the way we beat everyone. The upperclassmen must stay alert, which means Morris needs to rebound and keep from getting his fouls. When Morris is alert he can block shots all day while rarely getting an actual foul. Bradlkey and Crawford need to remember they play on a team. Bradley can't hold on to the ball all day dribbling around and Crawford can't just take every shot. Bradley can find himself making turnovers and Crawford can find himself on a cold streak. When they keep their minds in the game though and play like it is a team Bradley gets the ball out to a man who has a better chance than he does and the team will get Crawford open so he can make 20+ points. When these three work properly then Bobby Perry seems to mesh well and start hitting his mid-range shots.

^ When all that is working then the underclassmen do well. They are still young enough to get heavily effected by emotions and momentum. But when things go well you start seeing incredible steals, fast breaks, and amazing shots.

When everything goes right I believe Kentucky can beat anyone, including Florida. The problem is that our upperclassmen have cold streaks so severe that sometimes it means one shot in six minutes. against teams like Arkansas you can recover. It can even be recovered against South Carolina, but when it comes time to play Florida they will take advantage of a situation liek that and run away with the game. They are too fast to risk a cold streak onf any kind.

That said Florida is a 50/50 chance to beat in Rupp. In Gainesville it is maybe a 30% chance. 33.3333% at best. They are too talented for a team that can be hot or miss like Kentucky is this year. But if Kentucky can be firing on all cylinders for a full 40 minutes then the games will be tightly fought and the win will come down to whoever plays the clock the best. Billy donovan and Tubby Smith learned to play the clock from teh same man, Rick Pitino, and it is not uncommon to see nearly identical strategies when it comes down to this.

Dude you guys are hardcore College Basketball fans......since nobody hasn't talk about West Coast.....I'm a UCLA fan.....but my heart has belonged to North Carolina & Duke.....I can't wait to watch the game on Wednesday Night.

Dude you guys are hardcore College Basketball fans
Well, I think John is more of a football fan (perfectly normal for a Texas man), but I grew up in Kentucky where basketball is not a sport, it is a religion. When someone new moves to the state one of the first things they are told is to pick a side Louisville or Kentucky. Many times who their first friends wind up being is determined by this decision. Sports talk commentators have received many vicious emails, letters, and calls (some death threats) because they will come down hard on a team for their bad play in a game. If it is the truth is not important, just the fact that they said ANYTHING negative.

Heck, I got accused of not being a true fan the other day when I said that Kentucky tends to get cold spells and I think it will keep them from, getting past the second round of the tournament. I had to actually explain that I can be a fan, but I am not blind. Another case was when I missed a game because my wife and I hadn't gotten out in over a month due to her grandmother being sick. So, we took the only free time available, which happened to be during a game. Even the women at work gave me crap for choosing time with my wife over watching Kentucky basketball.

Plus, the midwest is basically where basketball got its start. When my dad was a kid a Kentucky team could be all players from Kentucky and win championships. You barely had to leave the county to find the best players. It wasn't that large of a sport nationally.

And to give you an idea of how ingrained basketball is in my upbringing, my dad has a spare bedroom that is decorated completely in University of Kentucky stuff from the bed sheets to the blinds, the lamps and tons of memorabilia. He even has Maker's Mark bourbon bottles and posters signed by generations of Kentucky players and coaching staff.

Really, I didn't have a choice. It' genetic.

I'm a UCLA fan
The only dynasty I can be jealous of. Respect. :bowdown:

but my heart has belonged to North Carolina & Duke
:irked: And all respect just went away. That, sir, is unforgiveable. You may give NC all the respect you wish (God knows their marketing department has done a wonderful job of giving them a national fanbase), but Duke is the devil, son! The devil ---->
fierydevil.gif
= Duke.

:sly:

I can't wait to watch the game on Wednesday Night.
It should be pretty good. Only problem is that it will overlap the second half of the Kentucky game. So, unless there is a blow out in Lexington I wll miss most of the game.

I'm not going to have Sunday and Monday results. So here are your results from Sunday and Monday:

--- Feb. 4, 2007 ---
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-04&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-04&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

--- Feb. 5, 2007 ---
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-05&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-05&c=all&refresh=0
(Women)

Thank you for coming in, StreetWalker (I don't do mixed caps, so I'll leave it as is to avoid confusion). As I say, I make this thread for everyone. I don't care if you are a fan of an NCAA dynasty team or a lame duck in a non-NCAA conference. You can be from football schools like Michigan or Auburn, or from non-football schools (FoolKiller reinforced that I'm a football guy ^_^) like Wisconsin-Green Bay or Pepperdine. This is for everyone. So while it seems like I mostly talk about Kentucky and Texas, you're free to come on in and make your own posts. UCLA was the National Champions Runners-Up last season. I think UCLA is looking great. They will easily make Selection Sunday. Maybe even a #1 seed. My problem in the Pac-10 is not with UCLA, but more with Washington. The Huskies have dropped a number of decisions including getting BEATEN DOWN by Washington State. Washington would beat the s:censored: out of Washington State in football, but to lose to them in a blowout in basketball... it's sad. * StReEtWaLkEr, how do you see UCLA do in March with the National Title on the line? How far do you think they will go?

For my next report, I may (or may not) talk about these:
* a preview Round 1 of Duke vs. North Carolina
* what it will take for Texas to advance far enough with Kevin Durant
* a Southland Conference look-in
* how Alaska and Hawaii are doing in Division 2 hoops

Rivalry week continues. Who do you hate? Maybe they'll play this week to settle some the score. Surely Duke and North Carolina don't like each other. They'll settle their differences tomorrow night. That would be all from me. You dig, players?

Get ready for a week of hate. ESPN calls it Rivalry Week. So my little motto for this week is: "It's Rivalry Week. Who do YOU hate?" Now this is granted that past rivalry games have been played already. For example, one of the rivalries played way early was Louisville vs. Kentucky (Kentucky won the Men's game and Louisville won the Women's game). I love you guys and gals who read my reports. Thing is, there are teams that hate each other.

NOTE: Because of school issues and this dumb curfew during school days, there may be some lengthy delay in trying to these scores to you all. This is quite some down time for me. Either bear with me or provide your own scores.

Big Ten Bad Boys Knock Heads in Columbus
* Michigan at #3 Ohio State (Rivalry Game)
College football fans get to see what this rivalry is like in basketball. Almost every year, the college football rivalry can go either way. Usually in men's basketball, Ohio State is more of a basketball power than Michigan is at hoops. Ohio State and Michigan State is usually the better matchup in men's (and even women's) hoops. No matter what sport it is, Ohio State and Michigan don't like each other. Flat out HATE. The two have knocked each others' heads several times in football. Every game between them in every sport is like their own (pardon my football speak) Super Bowl. Michigan and Ohio State just hate each other. Can't get along. Not only is it one of the biggest rivalries in college sports, but in sports in general. The hate between these two is as bad as Clippers/Lakers, Yankees/Red Sox, California/Stanford, Army/Navy, Chevrolet/Ford... you go from there. But with all due respect to this rivalry game, none better than Duke/North Carolina in hoops. So what's your colors? Scarlet and gray? Or blue and maize? But let's meet these two. Michigan HATES Ohio State. The Wolverines from Ann Arbor, MI is heading down to the capital of Ohio to make more noise. As for Ohio State, they're saying, "bring it, players! Already had to take your s:censored: for something like the previous millenium. So why not come on down?" Columbus, Ohio was snowy today as schools were closed. Thing is, the Buckeyes are ready to play through any weather. Clearly Ohio State has the advantage because of Greg Oden. It's the Klostrophobic special! ESPN showcased this match. The wonderful Brent Musburger and his broadcast partner Steve Lavin had the call for this one. (76-63; OHIO STATE)

Let's slow things down for a moment.

(Extra) North Carolina vs. Duke Preview
Blue is a beautiful color. Prepare to sing the blues as two of the most dominating blue-clad teams square off. On Wednesday, UNC will go to Durham to meet the Duke Blue Devils. North Carolina, at 20-3 and #5 in the nation, will head into one of the toughest arenas to play- Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Tar Heels have been doing much better than their Duke counterparts. They are only 6-2 in ACC play. Is immunity fading away for Duke hoops? They are 18-5 in the nation and 5-4 in ACC play. They are also #16 in the nation. But you know how Rivalry Games go- "throw out the record books." I personally think this is a game Duke has to win if they want to avoid falling into mediocrity. Avoiding the has-been ranks. Duke will lose games, but they won't lose persistently. So who will you take? Cameron Indoor Stadium. North Carolina vs. Duke. Round 1. Durham, NC. Who you got?

(Extra) Louisville Christens Court as "Denny Crum Court at Freedom Hall"
The University of Louisville will christen their court in honor of Denny Crum. The legendary coach helped Louisville to 675 wins and their only two National Championships. Louisville is currently 16-7 (6-3 in the Big East) in the Men's ranks and 21-2 (7-2 in the Big East) in the Women's ranks. It's very likely that Louisville's ladies will make Selection Sunday. But the men are looking to avoid going to the NIT. You don't want to get NIT-picked. Right, Cardinal players? So go get it. Make some magic happen for the rest of the season. Read this for more information: < http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...tn07YF?slug=ap-honoringcrum&prov=ap&type=lgns >.

--- Providence Wants to Improvise Their Game ---
* Cincinatti at Providence
The University of Cincinatti has won a National Title before in their past in men's hoops. But now, they're in a slump. South Florida is usually the lame duck in Big East hoops. Cincinatti will meet an inferior (and maybe underrated) Providence team. This matchup will take place in Providence, Rhode Island at Providence College. The Cincy Bearcats are slumping in men's hoops. Providence has had a history of dropping certain sports. Some of the sports they dropped were football and baseball. Providence has their stride in the men's hockey ranks. They haven't been very capable in hoops even in recent times. This team REALLY has a nonetheless competitive Friar basketball team. So how about we find out who wins this one. Both teams aren't the best right now in Big East basketball. As you learn in college football, games seem to be closer when two inferior programs play each other rather than one great team vs. one inferior team. Well, this was one of those bad vs. bad teams, and Providence sucked least. (71-70; PROVIDENCE)

--- (Women) Connecticut Looks to Silence the Surging Lady Scarlet Knights ---
* Rutgers at Connecticut -women-
Get ready to watch some ladies throw down. Rutgers and UConn are ready to drop it like it's hot. So let's see what these ladies can do on the hardwood. (??-??; CONNECTICUT)

PHILADELPHIA'S BIG FIVE BATTLE: Saint Joseph's Looks to Upstage Villanova
* Saint Joseph's at Villanova (Philadelphia Big Five Game)
Hawks are no doubt airborne creatures. Just too bad Saint Joseph's breed of fowl weren't up to snuff against Villanova's Wildcats. 'Nova's looking GREAT. Wonder how far they will go in March if they make Selection Sunday. (56-39; VILLANOVA)

*** SIDE NOTE *** - This win by Villanova gives them the Big 5 title. This is actually their second-successive title of Philadelphia's baddest boys. So don't screw with Villanova if you're going into the Philadelphia area.

--- How to Kill a Falcon ---
* #15 Air Force at San Diego State
How do you upset a ranked team? San Diego State prefers Aztec beat downs. The defending MWC champions took down the (some would say overrated) Air Force Falcons. (62-41; SAN DIEGO STATE) *upset!*

--- (Women's Hoops) Lady Dukes Show They Belong in Top 25 ---
* #25 James Madison at Longwood -women-
The Lady Dukes of James Madison took it to the Lady Lancers of Longwood in a blowout. (80-42; #25 James Madison)

--- Hot-Lanta Red Hot... Will the Wolfpack Cool Their Jets?
* North Carolina State at Georgia Tech
North Carolina State came off of beating North Carolina at home. But going to Georgia Tech's home, the Wolfpack got stung over and over again by the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The Atlanta unit are just as scary in hoops as they are in football. (75-65; GEORGIA TECH)

Maryland Wants a Comcastic Win in Comcast Arena
* Virginia at Maryland
Welcome to Comcast Arena. The Terrapins got a Comcastic victory over the Virginia Cavaliers. (69-65; MARYLAND)

More scores:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-06&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-06&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Done with college for this report. Now here is an NBA focus.

NBA FOCUS
* Boston Celtics at Detroit Pistons
The Boston Celtics lost as many as 13 straight games in 1996-1997. They had the third pick in the draft and picked up Chauncey Billups.
(109-102; DETROIT PISTONS)

* Houston Rockets at Memphis Grizzlies
The Grizzlies are more like the MLB equivalent of the Kansas City Royals. Houston took on Memphis tonight. But on Friday, the Rockets will go to Dallas to meet the Mavericks. All three of Texas' NBA teams are great. The Memphis Grizzlies played the game close, but the Houston Rockets were too much as they blasted past Memphis. Dallas, you're next! (98-90; Houston Rockets)

-end "NBA Focus"

Here are some of Wednesday's matches if I'm unable to update this deal with this curfew/slavery I'm going through:

* Navy at Lehigh
* South Carolina at #20 Kentucky
* #22 Georgetown at Louisville (I don't like LOU's chances. Stranger things have happened, though)
* Boston College at Miami
* #1 Florida at Georgia (World's Largest INDOOR Cocktail Party)
* North Carolina-Wilmington at Delaware
* Iowa at Minnesota
* Bradley at #21 Southern Illinois
* Kansas State at Kansas (RIVALRY GAME: Battle for the (KS) Governor's Cup)
* #17 Oklahoma State at Oklahoma (RIVALRY GAME: Bedlam Game)
* #19 USCal at #2 UCLA *** the StRrEtWaLkEr special! ***

Take care!

(Extra) Louisville Christens Court as "Denny Crum Court at Freedom Hall"
The University of Louisville will christen their court in honor of Denny Crum. The legendary coach helped Louisville to 675 wins and their only two National Championships. Louisville is currently 16-7 (6-3 in the Big East) in the Men's ranks and 21-2 (7-2 in the Big East) in the Women's ranks. It's very likely that Louisville's ladies will make Selection Sunday. But the men are looking to avoid going to the NIT. You don't want to get NIT-picked. Right, Cardinal players? So go get it. Make some magic happen for the rest of the season. Read this for more information: < http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...tn07YF?slug=ap-honoringcrum&prov=ap&type=lgns >.
It is a great honor to have a baskteball court named after you, especially when they are working on building a new one across town that they plan to use in two years. Someone got impatient and gave Denny Crum a back handed compliment. They basically said, "We like you a lot and you did a lot for our basketball program, but we want to name the floor you played on after you and the one we will be using for decades to come won't have your name anywhere on it." :dunce:

I did alot of PASSIVE reading.....Im a UCLA fan cuz I live in LA (actually in Long Beach...I have alot friends at Westwood). I like Duke & North Carolina because both schools show the most spirted competition in rivalry I evered seened in sports. I have alot of respect with Coach K, and Roy Williams. Both have different styles of coaching,

Duke = speed, 3-point shots, full court D, free throws attempts
UNC = patient, half court game, rebounding, retreat to multiple defensive zone

And of course they both use their timeouts wisely. Thats all I have in my brain right now heheh

A blog I like to keep bookmarked.
http://www.truthaboutduke.com/index.php

Seriously, they are good teams, but us Kentucky fans have a deep post-season rivalry with Duke that will never be ended. When a man stops on another man and then make s a last second hail mary toss to win a game it will leave a dark hatred in your heart that can never be removed.

EDIT:
I guess I will use this time to talk about UK's win over South Carolina.

First Half:
Pure domination by the Wildcats. To explain, when teh game started I was trying to finish fixing my supper. I stuck a bowl of leftover soup in the microwave and then heated up some cornbread to go with it. Maybe five minutes of real time passed, about three minutes of game time. By the time I sat down with my TV tray it was 18-5, Kentucky. I checked between heating soup and cornbread and it was just 7-5. I don't know what happened or how but the rest of the first half looked like a practice for Kentucky. I can't count the number of shots that Kentucky made where SC players were just standing.

Second Half:
It looked like a game and you would have though South Carolina really turned it on the way they woudl do things like make three shots unanswered and make a huge "comeback." The truth is that some guuys who rarely get more than 2 or 3 minutes of playing time had well over 10. Kentucky went in at half time with a ginormous lead and so Tubby let the scrubs get some actual game experience until it South Carolina would start to close the gap to ten and then boom, back in go the starters, or a few big bench players. Listening to teh announcers you would think that Kentucky was suddenly struggling, but the fact is that there were points when all five players were freshmen. Once we manhandled SOuth Carolina Tubby made it into a learning experience for his players and a confidence builder. Afterall, we have Florida Saturday.

The short report from Wednesday goes like this. If I had Newspaper headlines, here's how things would go:

* Duke Loses 3 in a Row for the First Time Since 1996 - Chapel Hill Celebrates
* South Carolina Fails at Revenge Over Kentucky in Lexington
* Georgia Fails at Upsetting #1 Florida
* Louisville Has a Terrible Wednesday: (Men) Lost to Georgetown on Newly-Christened Court, and (Women) Notre Dame Upsets Top 20 Louisville

I thought I had my Wednesday report handy, but I didn't. So I'll have to edit this post with new info when it becomes available. North Carolina won the first round of UNC vs. Duke. March 4- Duke AT North Carolina. Will Duke return the favor? Find out next month!

Tonight, it's the women's edition of UNC vs. Duke in Chapel Hill. Will UNC's ladies beat Duke's ladies? Find out tonight!

Thursday action is on tap. You want to see some throwing down? Hell, I give that to you every night. From North Carolina and abroad- I'm here to give you all the college hoops love your little hearts can handle.

I MUST start with the ladies and a critical matchup. You'll see why when I make this report.

--- (Women's Hoops) The Super Bowl of Women's College Basketball ---
* #1 Duke at #2 North Carolina -women- (RIVALRY GAME: The Battle for Tobacco Road)
Last night, Duke had to take a dagger into their hearts as they did the seemingly impossible- beat Duke AT Duke. I'm telling you. North Carolina is looking great. But while the men were beating each others' brains out on the hardwood in Durham, Chapel Hill was watching North Carolina's ladies meet Duke's ladies. I'm sure the Duke girls were having migrane headaches just watching UNC literally come back from being down (down by about 10 at one point last night). Duke's ladies had better overcome their headaches because the Lady Blue Devils are going to the University North Carolina-Chapel Hill. They are unbeaten and #1 in the nation. But UNC is #2... also undefeated. Both teams have a win-loss of my age (24) and zero. The Tar Heels want to keep the celebration going in Chapel Hill as the men beat Duke. The women failed to beat Duke. Someone had to take their first loss. And that team was North Carolina. (64-53; #1 Duke)

--- Thursday RAPID FIRE ---
*** Men ***
* #9 Butler at Clevland State (92-50; #9 Butler) <<< lots of Butler 3-pointers
* #21 Notre Dame at DePaul (67-66; DePAUL) *upset!*
* Western Kentucky at South Alabama (73-71, OT; SOUTH ALABAMA)

(Other winners)
Nevada, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi,

*** Women ***
(79-76; Washington) *upset!*

Other winners)
LOUISIANA STATE, ARIZONA STATE, STANFORD

More scores:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-08&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-08&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Sorry that I'm very behind. Oh! Don't forget to visit my postseason thread I recently created so we can talk postseason hoops for both men and women. You're invited to make your own postseason thoughts.

It's February 10th. Second Saturday in February. Valentine's Day is only four days away. For today and tonight, not many teams will be showing any love. Maybe you have a lover and want to see a game at your college (granted it's a Home game). So why not just let me tel you in on who won and who lost. From the #1 team in the nation to the absolute worst in the nation (Iona College FINALLY won a game some time back against Rider University), I got you covered. You all are my friends, and so I want to spoil you with love. How about we start another day and night of the good, the bad, and the ugly? So let's get it!

We begin in Lexington, Kentucky where the Florida Gators will meet some hard-nosed rivals of theirs.

--- For the Fans Pack ---
Time to show some love for my readers.

--- #1 Florida Tries to Silence 23K Fans at Rupp Arena ---
* #1 Florida at #1? Kentucky
It HAS to be a big game when it's on ESPN on Saturday night. The city of Lexington, KY is pretty peaceful and quiet. But it's anything but quiet when 23K or so pack Rupp Arena. What would you be doing? Going to play at Triangle Park... or see Kentucky host #1 Florida? Go shopping at Fayette Mall whether it's for electronics or for taking your little daugher or sister to Club Libby Lu... or see Kentucky host #1 Florida? Basketball is religon at Kentucky. You either believe in Kentucky, or be punished. Kentucky looks to punish Florida for stepping in Rupp Arena talking all that smack. The Wildcats don't play that. They don't roll like that. FoolKiller's boys are gonna kill some fools... well, just try to upset the #1 team in the Nation. That #1 team is Florida. Florida has been on a roll in beating down Ohio State in the BCS National Championship game in January. Now they look to slam down the rock all over Kentucky and the 23K fans that inhabit this NBA-type arena. The most recent examples of Kentucky greatness include Teyshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons and Chuck Hayes of the Houston Rockets. Florida knows they are not a basketball dynasty like Kentucky, but the Gators find great joy in beating them in basketball. They did just that last season beating Kentucky about twice or thrice. The ESPN crew that called this game (ESPN College Gameday was at Rupp) were the voices of Dan Schulman and Dick Vitale. Did I mention that the SEC is the most competitive conference in the nation? Football. Basketball. Even baseball. Now we got this game at Rupp. Here's a menacing stat for you- Kentucky is 2-0 all-time against #1 teams at Rupp Arena. So if they win this game and they storm the courts, a freaking riot is going to break out. My storyline for this match is J. Noah vs. Joe Crawford. I haven't seen all of the game. It's like I caught the first minutes, then the final ten seconds. I actually thought the game wasn't going to be as close as it did. But in the end, Florida was better by about 3. Now Kentucky is 2-1 at home against #1 teams. Oh, well. So you didn't beat them at home. You get one(?) more shot in Gainesville next month. Return the favor as best as you can. (64-61; #1 Florida)

--- One of College Basketball's Winningest Teams Throw Down in Bowling Green ---
* Middle Tennessee State at Western Kentucky
FoolKiller is a UK guy, but he also went to Western Kentucky. This is a battle between two teams that have great football programs. Middle Tennessee State won the football championship honors in the Sun Belt. Western Kentucky won themselves a National Championship in football in 2002. Western Kentucky is going to join the Sun Belt for all or most of their sports in 2009. This will make it three teams in 1-A football for Kentucky. Border states will clash here. The Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders are going to head atop a hill to meet Western Kentucky. The Murfreesboro, TN outfit will head up north to the Bluegrass State. And while red is a rival color between Louisville and Kentucky, Western Kentucky's brand is pretty friendly. Diddle Arena is their basketball home for WKU. Western Kentucky University is in Bowling Green, KY. This school sits atop a hill overlooking Bowling Green. FoolKiller tells me that it's pretty taxing to climb up the hill to come to this school of higher learning. The Hilltoppers are among some of the finest college basketball programs even if they aren't as dominating as that school in Lexington in that BCS conference. So let's see what the Blue Raiders and Hilltoppers can do. First off, I almost thought their basketball arena was more like a football stadium because of the big TV and those glass windows up top. But then again, they can brag because they've won a considerate number of games including that football National Championship. (65-53; WESTERN KENTUCKY)

*** SIDE NOTE *** E.A. Diddle picked up over 759 victories coaching between 1922 - 1964. The ESPN2 crew briefly talked about Diddle when they shown his banner from the rafters. So it's great to see such a coach honored like this. He should be a Hall of Famer if he isn't already. He was responsible for all the great success this school has had in their past. Certainly plenty more wins by arguably the finest Sun Belt school in all of basketball. That is, unless South Alabama has something to say about that (especially considering that USA beat down Western Kentucky some time back).

--- UCLA Brings Their Blue and Gold to Meet West Virginia's Blue and Gold ---
* #2 UCLA at West Virginia
So let's get something straight. You got Los Angeles, California. These boys have to travel ALL the way to the East Coast to Morgantown, West Virginia. That's a long damn way! But it's StReEtWaLkEr's boys ready to make some noise by representing the West Coast. So let's talk about this game. UCLA has a lot of history in basketball. It's strange when there are over 334 teams in Division 1... and you've only met a team only a few times. Look at Texas in football. They played Michigan and Ohio State for the first time a few years back. UCLA and West Virginia are meeting for only the fourth time. The Bruins are looking to slap them around a bit more. The boys noermally wear sky blue and gold. But when they took off the sweats, they dressed up in a beautiful rich blue and gold combination. I almost confused UCLA for either the Los Angeles Lakers (even though they are purple and gold) or their opponents. West Virginia University has had one of their best football seasons in recent memory. The basketball ranks still need a decent spark. They may get that against UCLA. UCLA had to travel over some mountains while having to encounter plenty of Mountaineer fans. Will StReEtWaLkEr's boys get it done in West Virginia? For CBS, Tim Brando and Clark Kellogg called the game. It didn't look like it early as West Virginia kept cashing in some threes once they got momentum on their side. The first two WVU buckets were from deep. UCLA hit a two on one end for the first field goal by either team, then WVU hit from downtown to make it 3-2 early. UCLA was getting as cold as an Arctic Blast from deep. They did manage to find their stride to make this a game and not a brick-fest. The half ended as West Virginia led 32-22 over the boys from L.A. This will scare StReEtWaLkEr{/B]- West Virginia is 11-1 this season when leading at the half. Will 11 be 12 after today? It looked like a beautiful day in Morgantown because the windows way the top shown blue skies. The skies were clear outside in Morgantown. Days were certainly sunny for West Virginia as UCLA had to suffer a severe thunderstorm of West Virginia dominance. (70-65; WEST VIRGINIA) *upset!*

*** SIDE NOTE *** Any of you have trouble remembering the name "Luc Richard Mbah a Moute?" A bit hard to remember and pronounce.

--- Oden Leads Ohio State to Take On West Lafayette's Purdue University ---
* Purdue at #3 Ohio State
Let's talk about Klostrophobic and his Ohio State boys. Nothing like a stroll into Columbus, OH at Value City Arena. And nothing like seeing the Ohio State Buckeyes beat some people down on both ends of the court. The poor saps who dared threaten Greg Oden and company were Purdue. The Boilermakers haven't made as much steam to prove they are high-quality talent sitting at 5-5 in conference. It was 52-52 with exactly 4 minutes left in the game. Afterwards, Ohio State survived a BIG scare (a scare bigger than Greg Oden). They won the game by 6. Purdue falls to 5-6 in conference play. Thanks for coming to Columbus, Purdue! (62-56; #3 OHIO STATE)

--- Midwestern Basketball Powers Clash in Rivalry Match ---
* Illinois at #24 Indiana (RIVALRY GAME)
This one's for dougiemeats. It's his Illinois boys going out to Bloomington to meet their rivals to the east. It wasn't a swan song for Illinois as the Fighting Illini failed to foil Indiana's Hoosiers on the road. (65-61; #2? INDIANA)

-end "For the Fans Pack"

I'm going to slow it down now.

(Extra) Creative Ways to Root Your Favorite Team
Have any of you seen that Coca-Cola commercial featuring a Virginia Tech alum having a sort of ritual involving drinking cans of Coca-Cola while his Hokies were playing b-ball? He made his own VT logo out of Coca-Cola cans. He even stressed that Virginia Tech could win more games if all VT fans did this. Technically (no pun intended), Virginia Tech is NOT... I repeat... NOT a basketball power. Yeah, they knocked off Duke at home. But who's to say that Virginia Tech will run the table over teams like North Carolina, Duke, Boston College, Maryland, or even Georgia Tech? Collect those cans all you want because Virginia Tech probably isn't going anywhere until they can simply dominate in their conference.

Every school has a funny or unique way of rooting their team to victory. Does your favorite school (or just you) have a such tradition? Talk about it with us!

RAPID FIRE (Men Only)

* Wake Forest at #5 North Carolina (104-67; #5 NORTH CAROLINA)
* #11 Marquette at #23 Georgetown (76-58; #23 GEORGETOWN) *upset!*
* California-Riverside at Pacific (86-66; PACIFIC)
* Arizona at #?? Oregon (77-74; Arizona) *upset!*
* Creighton at #2? Southern Illinois (72-68; #2? SOUTHERN ILLINOIS)
* East Carolina at Houston (83-59; HOUSTON)

You can see MANY more scores here at these two sites:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-10&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-10&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. And take a look at the following schools below this sentence:

BYU
Hofstra
Southern Illinois
Virginia Commonwealth
Winthrop

Any chance these teams will become the next George Mason come March Madness? Talk about it in my postsesaon thread or in this thread. Until then, enjoy your weekend.

GO MARYLAND! Handed Duke their 4th straight loss. Best game of the season, right there.

--- #1 Florida Tries to Silence 23K Fans at Rupp Arena ---
* #1 Florida at #1? Kentucky
It HAS to be a big game when it's on ESPN on Saturday night. The city of Lexington, KY is pretty peaceful and quiet. But it's anything but quiet when 23K or so pack Rupp Arena. What would you be doing? Going to play at Triangle Park... or see Kentucky host #1 Florida? Go shopping at Fayette Mall whether it's for electronics or for taking your little daugher or sister to Club Libby Lu... or see Kentucky host #1 Florida? Basketball is religon at Kentucky. You either believe in Kentucky, or be punished. Kentucky looks to punish Florida for stepping in Rupp Arena talking all that smack. The Wildcats don't play that. They don't roll like that. FoolKiller's boys are gonna kill some fools... well, just try to upset the #1 team in the Nation. That #1 team is Florida. Florida has been on a roll in beating down Ohio State in the BCS National Championship game in January. Now they look to slam down the rock all over Kentucky and the 23K fans that inhabit this NBA-type arena. The most recent examples of Kentucky greatness include Teyshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons and Chuck Hayes of the Houston Rockets. Florida knows they are not a basketball dynasty like Kentucky, but the Gators find great joy in beating them in basketball. They did just that last season beating Kentucky about twice or thrice. The ESPN crew that called this game (ESPN College Gameday was at Rupp) were the voices of Dan Schulman and Dick Vitale. Did I mention that the SEC is the most competitive conference in the nation? Football. Basketball. Even baseball. Now we got this game at Rupp. Here's a menacing stat for you- Kentucky is 2-0 all-time against #1 teams at Rupp Arena. So if they win this game and they storm the courts, a freaking riot is going to break out. My storyline for this match is J. Noah vs. Joe Crawford. I haven't seen all of the game. It's like I caught the first minutes, then the final ten seconds. I actually thought the game wasn't going to be as close as it did. But in the end, Florida was better by about 3. Now Kentucky is 2-1 at home against #1 teams. Oh, well. So you didn't beat them at home. You get one(?) more shot in Gainesville next month. Return the favor as best as you can. (64-61; #1 Florida)
AAAAIIIIEEEEE!!!!!! Half an ounce more pressure on that final shot and I honestly believe the momentum at that point would have carried Kentucky to an OT victory.

I got home a few minutes late and flipped on the TV to see Kentucly down by double digits very early on. I began to lose hope. The entire first half saw Kentucky struggling to stop the bleeding and hold Florida's lead to around 15. Well, I hate ESPN coverage and especially hate Dick Vitale (JUST CALL THE 🤬 GAME!!!), so at halftime I started to play some Wii Tennis so I wouldn't have to see Vitale drooling all over Ashley Judd as she humored him while giving him her uncomfortable "get off me" look. My tennis game went longer than I suspected and I flipped over a few minutes into the second half to find the lead cut down to less than 10. Thats' when I started wondering if it were possible that we could pull this off. They fought and worked and played one hell of a second half. It was good enough to even make my wife sit down and watch, which is amazing considering she has been known to fall asleep while at Rupp Arena before.

So as the final minute ticks away I see Kentucky down by three possesions and Dick and Dan have pretty much called this one. But my Wildcats never stop playing. That is what I love about them. The game isn't over until the buzzer sounds. I hate the foul to stop the clock strategy (does that have a name?), because it most often turns a 6-8 point lead into a 12-15 point lead and suddenly looks like a blow out. Not this time. It gave my cats the time they needed as Florida players were only hitting one freethrow at a time, at best. Then I saw something amazing. The cats rebound a missed Florida Freethrow, run down the court and then Ramel Bradley shoots a three from so far back that no Florida players bothered trying to block. It was only the second made three-point shot of the night for the cats as the iron had been a cold mistress this night.

After that shot is made Tubby calls full-court pressure. I love a full-court pressure game. It isn't an exciting shoot out when it happens but it brings a whole new aspect to the game that many teams aren't prepared for in today's offense heavy style. Anyway, the full-court pressure works as the Cats intercept the inbounds pass and Bradley steps to the corner for another three. Where were those all night? Now the score is down to two. The Cats foul again and Florida steps to the line again, but only makes one shot making their lead three. Kentucky takes the ball and Florida gives a half-hearted full-court defense (but trying desparately not to foul). Kentucky does prepare for full court play and get it down the court without incident, but using more clock than intended. With 1.5 seconds on the clock Bradley takes the best shot he can get from the three-point line with a defender in his face. BONG! BUZZ! One foot further and it would have been a tied game.

My Cats may not have won, but they put up a championship effort. They showed that the best team in the country, who typically beats the snot out of a lot of teams, cannot walk into Rupp Arena and expect to leave unscathed. If a gator and a wildcat met in the wild I have a feeling the wildcat would be on the dinner end of the fight, but I also have a feeling the gator may be short an eye before all is said and done. That is exactly how this game went.

As for the Noah vs Crawford line-up. Um.....yeeeeaaaahhhh. We all wanted to see that, but instead Noah spent most of the game on the bench with foul troubles, which is fine because his crazy hair and cocky attitude are not welcome on my floor. If he were at Kentucky Tubby would have had his hair cut and his little shooting motion (or whatever it is he does in the highlight reels) would not have seen the light of day. And then Crawford was 0-6 in shooting, which is no big surprise considering Kentucky missed 20+ three-pointers. Imagine if our three point shooting percentage were equal to the rest of our shots. We would have blown Florida out.

It is always fun to watch Billy Donovan from Florida match up against Tubby Smith from Kentucky. They trained together under Rick Pitino at Kentucky and they know each other well. They understand how the other thinks and it is like watching two strategists play chess. Every move is met with a counter move. Sometimes it almost seems like the talent on the floor no longer matters as long as the players actually follow the play. Even when one team is struggling and the other is dominating it is a good game when these two meet up. I fear playing Florida every year since Donovan became their head coach, but in the end I am always glad I saw the game.

Speaking of Billy Donovan, if you watched some of the post game when they interviewed him on the floor, he has a cocky Gambino-type attitude where even when he compliments Kentucky he sounds like he actually means, "Well, you know we are just really good, what can I say?" He always sounds like that and I can't tell if he just has a slightly odd personality or way of talking or if he really is a cocky jerk.

*** SIDE NOTE *** E.A. Diddle picked up over 759 victories coaching between 1922 - 1964. The ESPN2 crew briefly talked about Diddle when they shown his banner from the rafters. So it's great to see such a coach honored like this. He should be a Hall of Famer if he isn't already. He was responsible for all the great success this school has had in their past. Certainly plenty more wins by arguably the finest Sun Belt school in all of basketball. That is, unless South Alabama has something to say about that (especially considering that USA beat down Western Kentucky some time back).
E.A. Diddle is a Hall of Famer, and is in the Kentucky Athletics Hall of Fame, along with Adolph Rupp, Joe B Hall, and Denny Crum.

Fun trivia note: Notice that WKU uses a red towel logo?
wavetwl2.gif

Well, as a Freshman I asked what was the deal with the red towel. It all goes back to Diddle. He carried a red towel to games to wipe the sweat off his brow. Well, back then fabrics and dyes being what they were would bleed when they got wet. By the end of a game Diddle would have a red forehead. It became his trademark, and WKU carried it on as a tradition. You actually get handed a red towel your first day on campus, and during any special events, and I even got one at a game with the lyrics to the school fight song on it.
didtowel.jpg

--- UCLA Brings Their Blue and Gold to Meet West Virginia's Blue and Gold ---
(70-65; WEST VIRGINIA) *upset!*
Huh? :confused: I only saw the highlights and UCLA didn't look like a number 2 team to me. Kind of shocking really.

Every school has a funny or unique way of rooting their team to victory. Does your favorite school (or just you) have a such tradition? Talk about it with us!

Well, when I was a student at Kentucky painting my face, wearing a jester's hat, and turning a pendant into a cape was my regular dress for attending basketball games. But it was because the wildcat then went into the student section and selected the five most spirited students to give them a "cat's eye" view of the game, which meant front row seats behind the UK bench. No, I was not the topless guy that painted his body blue. That was "Blue Boy" and he was basically handed that seat for every game as long as he promised to paint himself blue every game. Before the renovations they were orange(???) seats, except for his, which was stained blue. Now most of the seats are blue.

GO MARYLAND! Handed Duke their 4th straight loss. Best game of the season, right there.
:cheers:
[SOUTHERN COLONEL ACCENT]By God, I like ya boy![/ACCENT]

Tis a shame I ran out of beer early Friday nght.

The highlights I saw on Florida @ Kentucky were that there was a team who didn't cash in their three-pointers and struggled from the foul line. And yes, Noah did foul out of the game. I think if that last-minute three was in better position or had better touch on the ball, we would have had Overtime. And yes, Kentucky shows they can be a fighting team. You have to admire their tenacity. They didn't just say "beat us down so that we can go home now." Most people party on Saturday night. But if a Kentucky basketball player is in uniform and has to report to Rupp Arena to play basketball, then damn it to Hell, he'll play his bottom off... then go party later! ^_^

I don't know about Kentucky's chances in March when they'll play Florida in Gainesville. Home advantage is so much more significant in basketball than in almost any other sport (including football). Let's say that more mid-majors and cupcakes schedule teams at THEIR arena and not the power schools. Since Kentucky and UCLA are power schools... let's say Kentucky goes to (you might like this, FoolKiller) Western Kentucky for a game. Then let's say UCLA goes to a former, in-state, two-time National Championship school- UCLA at San Francisco.

I'll have Sunday scores in my next post. So stay tuned.

Valentine's Day is Wednesday! Did you remember to get something special for your sweetheart? Maybe your sweetheart, your pride and joy, your "boo," happens to be your favorite collegiate team. So what do you get for your favorite team? You give it the most incredible intangible anyone can ask for- love. That's right. Show a team some love, and they'll do their very best for you, even in a losing effort. Rivalry Week is over for the most part. But there will be more rivalries to come between now and the end of the regular season. So let's get something started.

I want to begin with two games. First, I'll check in with Georgia Tech in taking on Connecticut. Then I'll talk about Kentucky's ladies because they have a critical match on the road much like the guys last night at home.

--- Atlanta's Favorite Insects Look to Give Connecticut's Puppies Plenty of Ticks ---
* Connecticut vs. Georgia Tech (at: Georgia Dome; Atlanta, GA)
The ESPNEWS report had the coordinating producer say that "you can't spell Connecticut without NIT. That's probably where this once-proud program is going to go if they don't make Selection Sunday. They have to do one thing to advance into the Dance- win the Big East Championship. And against teams like Georgetown, Marquette, and Pittsburgh (and maybe even Notre Dame), I don't know if that's possible for these boys. (65-52; Georgia Tech)

--- (Women's Hoops) The Men Had it Rough Last Night... Could the Ladies Suffer the Same Fate? ---
* Kentucky at #3 Tennessee
Last night, Kentucky cashed in only three 3-point shots and had a terrible time at the foul line. Still, they probably could have beaten Florida if they banked in most of their shots. PLEASE don't get confused with this next sentence. Kentucky's ladies will meet the school who they will face tonight... which will be the same school the men will face Tuesday. In other words, Kentucky's ladies get Tennessee's ladies tonight. Kentucky's men will get Tennessee this Tuesday. So what's better- Tennessee's men, or Tennessee's women? With all due respect, the women are the better team. The Lady Volunteers hosted the kittens from Lexington. Whereas their men's team are clear juggernauts, the women's team doesn't hold a candle to Tennessee in terms of dominance in the women's SEC ranks. And I think Kentucky's ladies like it just the way it is because it gives the Lady Wildcats even more incentive to crush the SEC powers. As long as they can tame Vanderbilt, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee, then they would be a lock to make Selection Sunday. So did the ladies crush the girls in orange? It was Tennessee. Almost by miles. I think Kentucky trailed by 30 at one point. But Pat Summitt's girls were too much for the royal blue and white. (84-62; #3 TENNESSEE)

--- (Women's Hoops) LSU's 43-Game Home Winning Streak is On the Line ---
* #4 Connecticut at #7 LSU
Under 30 seconds left, the Bayou (Lady) Bengals were in trouble. Connecticut hit a money three-pointer when it was all tied at 69. LSU was out of timeouts when controversy struck. LSU cashed in a long shot... but was it a two or a three? I thought the LSU player was looking for a fadeaway shot. Unfortunately, she didn't tilt back hard enough to put the game into Overtime. You could call it a disciplinal error or simply making a big error where big errors kill winning opportunities. LSU had the nation's longest home winning streak in the women's game... but it's all gone now thanks to Connecticut. (72-71; #4 Connecticut)

DID YOU KNOW...
...that in women's college basketball, there is a 30-second shot clock as opposed to the 35-second shot clock in the men's game?

(Extra) Indoor Football Stadiums Serving as Basketball Arenas[/B]
The Georgia Dome. The Carrier Dome. The RCA Dome. Reliant Stadium (with the roof closed). The WalkUp Skydome (Northern Arizona University). A number of indoor football stadiums have served as basketball arenas. Pretty funny how anyone can take a football stadium and make it into basketball arena. I can probably say that the shorter dimension of a regulation basketball court take up anywhere between 2 to 3 basketball floors to cover almost the full length of a football field. Who normally uses these? To my knowledge, Syracuse University and Northern Arizona University normally use their respective football fields to make up the basketball arena (then too, Syracuse doesn't like the weather outside, so they consider the Carrier Dome as their all-in-one sporting arena). Most of these indoor football stadiums are usually used for rounds of the NCAA Tournament. I think Houston will host a round of this season's men's tournament at Reliant Stadium. I just think it's pretty lonely to be at a football stadium to see a basketball game in which the highest seats are empty.

For more scores, looky here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-11&c=all&refresh=0
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-11&c=all&refresh=0

That would be all. So take care of yourselves until next time.

The key big game I want to show you for Monday scores is this one:

--- Cardinals Look to "Steel" the Show in Pittsburgh ---
* Louisville at #5 Pittsburgh
The Louisville Cardinals went into Pittsburgh, PA looking for an upset. Louisville basically pounded the Steel City Kitties. Luckily for Pittsburgh, the Panthers climbed back... even if it was too late. Louisville shocks Pittsburgh. This is an upset even in football (both schools have great football teams). The former two-time National Champions got it done in Pittsburgh. (66-53; Louisville) *upset!*

(Extra) Duke Unranked for the First Time Since 1996
Here is the Yahoo! Sports link to this:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...?slug=ap-t25-collegebkbpoll&prov=ap&type=lgns

Duke in the Top 25 is like Michigan football in Bowl Games- they just don't fall out and die. Compare these head-to-head, and Michigan still makes consecutive Bowl Games... but Duke's basketball Top 25 ranking is done. They have never endured four straight losses in 11 years. Only team with a longer streak of top 25 appearances was UCLA with over 221 weeks being ranked. Duke gets a chance to get back to their winning ways when they take on Boston College. Here is a question up for debate:

Debate Question: Whare are the chances (out of 100%) that Duke...
(1) ...still makes this year's NCAA tournament (whether winning conference title or getting an at-large)?
(2) ...will extend their losing streak to five on Wednesday?
(3) ...bounces back next season?

Here is a RAPID FIRE segment. Only this is about basketball among America's historically-black colleges and universities.

RAPID FIRE: Historically-Black Colleges and Universities
--- Men's Results ---
* Winston-Salem State at Alabama A&M (79-63; ALABAMA A&M)
* Alcorn State at Arkansas-Pine Bluff (78-56; ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF)
* Tennessee State at Austin Peay State (89-44; AUSTIN PEAY STATE)
* Hampton at Coppin State (71-56; Hampton)
* Maryland-Eastern Shore at Delaware State (69-59; DELAWARE STATE) <<< DE STATE predicted to win MEAC Conference

--- Women's Results ---
* Hampton at Coppin State (68-45; COPPIN STATE)
* Maryland-Eastern Shore at Delaware State (65-51; DELAWARE STATE)
* Alcorn State at Arkansas-Pine Bluff (63-60; ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF)
* Texas Southern at Grambling State (57-54; Texas Southern)
* Southern at Mississippi Valley State (61-58; MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE) <<< Men's team won 4 in a row

For other scores including Santa Clara at Gonzaga, Oklahoma State at Texas, Northwestern State at Stephen F. Austin, and many more, view ALL scores here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-12&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-12&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Take care of yourselves. Tuesday scores coming up when I get my report finished.

Wow, another close loss by Kentucky. This game was due to a breakdown by Kentucky players until only 10:00 were left in the game. It has amazed me how two games in a row the announcers were saying it was already over for Kentucky and practically signing off by thanking their crew, but then it came down to the last second to determine if it was over or not. We don't get the credit we deserve sometimes.

Debate Question: Whare are the chances (out of 100%) that Duke...
(1) ...still makes this year's NCAA tournament (whether winning conference title or getting an at-large)?
(2) ...will extend their losing streak to five on Wednesday?
(3) ...bounces back next season?
1) 85% - They are out of the top 25, but they haven't fallen below 65, yet. Besides Duke is likely to get in just because they are Duke.
2) 50% - BC is good, but Duke has to be killing themselves to want to get back into the rankings. It can go either way.
3) 50% - Bad year or just falling out after too many years of glory? Too hard to tell yet. I'm hopping that it is the second option.

I had my Tuesday report lined up. And yes, that was a pretty close loss. So back-to-back close losses by your Wildcats.

Now on to my Tuesday report.

-----------------------------
Day before Valentine's.

--- Kentucky: Shaken... but Not Stirred? ---
* #18 Kentucky at Tennessee (RIVALRY GAME)
Saturday night in Lexington, Kentucky was only inches away from going into Overtime against Florida. Over 23K Kentuckians at Rupp Arena were stunned including GTPlanet's own, FoolKiller. Time is short. Kentucky has to face two traditional football powers. They met defending National Champions (and hateful rivals), Florda. Now it's Tennessee. Kentucky knows they are in for a shootout against Tennessee. Why? Because Tennessee doesn't play. Thompson-Bolling Arena isn't exactly Neyland Stadium, but the boys in orange want to show how much they hate teams colored in Kentucky blue. This even includes Chris Lofton playing for the orange boys- one of Kentucky's own. The Tennessee Volunteers are usually better known for women's hoops. Their men's coach is Bruce Pearl. And in case you're asking, Pearl wasn't topless painted in orange. But many of the boys and girls in Knoxville shown their complete dislike of Kentucky blue. It's sad when Kentucky has to leave Rupp Arena to conduct business. However, UK knows that they have the full support of the University of Kentucky wherever they go. They last played on Saturday in a close loss. Kentucky has to mature quick because they've had only three days to get over their loss to Florida. Good news for them is that they're not facing the #1 team in the nation. Bad news is that the Wildcats are in danger of losing their Top 20 rank if they lose to Tennessee. The ESPN Star Watch was Randolph Morris (C) vs. Chris Lofton (G). For ESPN, the wonderful Brad Nessler had the call along with Jimmy Dykes. It's a battle of two schools that have three syllables in their names. Kentucky is 7-3 in conference and 18-6 overall. On the other end, Tennessee is 5-5 and 17-8 overall. Way later in the game, Kentucky came out of a timeout and banked a finger roll to make it 86-83 in favor of Tennessee. It's 12.7 left. Could this be a repeat of Saturday night against Florida? Both teams in the double bonus. Jasper and Bradley fouled out for Kentucky. FoolKiller doesn't like the fouling strategy to stop the clock, but Kentucky had to do it if they want to try to better preserve their Top 20 status. That status didn't mean anything to Tennessee because only one status was on Tennessee's mind in this game- beaten. Upset. The Lexington boys had to look up at the ceiling as the home side saw orange and white confetti as the Wildcats had to return to Lexington in sadness. (89-85; TENNESSEE) *upset!*

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Bruce Pearl (Tennessee men's coach) only supposedly wears his orange jacket against Vanderbilt and Kentucky? He says that he did this as part of a rivalry deal.

*** SIDE NOTE *** - The time between 1975-1977 was the time of the Ernie and Bernie Show. The two players were Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld. Both players were honored at Halftime.

I'm bringing you all to Texas so you can meet two of my state's finest schools. The Reed Center(?) is hosting a little basketball. You ready to dig my flow, players? Then let's do this!

--- Big XII War in Texas ---
* Texas Tech at #6 Texas A&M
The Red Raiders cashed in a last-moment field goal to knock off the College Station boys. The Texas A&M Aggies fell at home to the boys from up north. (77-75; Texas Tech) *upset!*

--- Can the Tar Heels Keep a Good Thing Going? ---
* Virginia Tech at #4 North Carolina
North Carolina put a silencer on Duke in UNC's most recent game. UNC's women lost to Duke's women the day after. Duke lost another game, but will North Carolina? Beat North Carolina at their home, and you're something special even if you finish the season 1-29 (or 2-28 if you are in the ACC and have to play them twice and win). The Tar Heels welcomed some birds that flew in from Virginia. The city would be Blacksburg, Virginia. These flock of birds look to stun North Carolina. These Hokies have a GREAT opportunity to beat the pure powerhouse of the ACC. And they did just that in stunning fashion. (81-80, OT; Virginia Tech) *upset!*

--- Introducing Florida Gulf Coast University ---
* Florida Gulf Coast at #13 Butler
The little private school in Indianapolis is hosting a game against a Division 2 non-football school. Butler University will have a non-conference game going up against Florida Gulf Coast University. All I know about Florida Gulf Coast is that it's in Florida (naw!), and that their team is known as the Eagles. Can the Eagles shock perhaps the finest mid-major in America? You know how Mazda's commercial on the CX-7 is known as being "the SUV you never saw coming?" Butler is more like "the Top 20+ team you never saw coming." The Bulldogs aren't going to roll over and be fed doggie treats. Only tricks these puppies know how to do is drain the rock from anywhere in the front court and cash in free throws. The Horizon League is this year's West Coast Conference in the sense of a purely dominant team in a weak conference. All year, I thought Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Detroit would be the matchup in the Horizon League. But they are doing terrible compared to Butler. It looked like Butler could have blown the Eagles right out of the sky, but they still win this game. (79-65; BUTLER)

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Florida Gulf Coast will move up to Division 1 next year as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference?

This score got me thinking...

(Extra) Could it be Possible for a Non-NCAA Division 1 School to Beat a Top 25 Team?
I remember a Conference USA college football game on ESPN once. A question asked is if a non-BCS school should be playing for a National Championship. One such response was that these non-BCS schools didn't have the depth of teams like Ohio State, Texas, Pittsburgh, Florida, Auburn (remember, we're talking football here). But as we saw in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, even the "mid-majors" could beat BCS schools. Granted Boise State was playing Oklahoma, it still sends a big message to everyone that any team can beat ANY team regardless of matchup issues. And didn't Chaminade (a Divsion 2 school) beat a... #1-ranked team in an exhibition tournament? Didn't Louisville barely hang on against Georgetown College (an NAIA school) in an exhibition game this season? Alaska-Anchorage beat Wake Forest in the Great Alaska Shootout of 1993. So it's entirely possible for ANY team to beat ANY team. I think most schools not from NCAA Division 1 don't have most of the depth of some Division 1 schools. Last season, my hometown Houston Cougars beat the holy Hell out of Florida Tech (Division 2, non-football) 130-something to 70-something. Some people are probably thinking that Division 1 teams don't need to schedule non Div. 1 teams simply because they aren't of any competition. Look at some of the teams that stepped up to Division 1. I think North Dakota State is doing the best job of any Division 1 Independent. They knocked off Wisconsin last year as a D1 Independent. What if in the women's division, the University of Philadelphia took on Saint Joseph's, or even Villanova? The thing to remember is that ANY team can beat ANY team in basketball. Most non-NCAA Division 1 schools already know that they are in for a fight. Thing is, it's all about how a team is able to stay in the game and not give up too soon and too easily. The non-NCAA Division 1 schools that understand they aren't as favored against Division 1 NCAA schools and still perform like champions are the ones capable of upsetting NCAA Division 1 schools.

Heed my words- ANY team can beat ANY team. Men or women. Just play your hearts out.

John's Feature School: The University of Maryland
The University of Maryland has two great basketball teams. The women's program is kind of struggling this late in the season. The men had to deal with every great ACC team under the sun. Maryland football still has a massive spark in them. But what about when Maryland isn't having sports action? Well, this school is perhaps the finest university in the state of Maryland. It is one of only two schools in the state of Maryland that has Division 1-A football teams. The University of Maryland is based in College Park, Maryland. The city is about 50+ miles north northeast of Washington, D.C. The University of Maryland usually carries a mantra in sports in which teams must "Fear the Turtle!" Just recently, the Maryland Terrapins knocked off the Duke Blue Devils, handing them their fourth-straight loss. In addition to this loss, it made Duke be unranked for the first time in 11 years. On the women's side, their dominance is being tested by North Carolina and Duke. As of 9:52 PM CDT, Duke's women remain perfect on the year. It's a great program, both when class is in session, and when sporting action is in play.

I had Michigan at Michigan State lined up, but I decided to end it and give you some extra scores. So look at these websites for scores by your favorite teams:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-13&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-13&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

I didn't get last Friday's scores, so look here for last Friday's scores:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-09&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-09&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Until I get my Wednesday scores going, Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I'm going to try something different for Valentine's Day scores. I kind of want to focus on teams that wear red and/or white. You know, in honor of Valentine's Day. Teams that wear red and white (including variations)... examples include Houston, Western Kentucky, Hartford, VMI, Stanford, Saint Joseph's, St. John's, Gardner-Webb, I can go from there. But have a great day, everyone!

I have to remember to bring my score report to me when I'm at school. So in other words, my Valentine's Day results will have to wait. Here are some "headlines" I have for you all:

HEADLINE PAGE

--- Duke Wins One in a Row After Four-Straight Losing Skid ---

--- Washington's Bid for Revenge is Closer Than Last Time, but Still Loses to #10 Washington State ---

--- Florida Atlantic Breaks Western Kentucky's Hearts on the Road ---

--- Triple-Figure Scoring: Radford Wins High-Scoring Shootout Against VMI ---

--- Ohio State Avoids Scare at Pennsylvania State ---

Again, I'll have my special Valentine's Day report in future posts. But don't wait for me to make a report. Just look for more scores here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-14&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-14&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Hope you've had a great Valentine's Day.

It is President's Day weekend. It is also time for more college basketball. The bracketbusters are in the house! I want you to take a look at my scores for this week and offer your own scores and comments in case you have something to discuss. So let's do Saturday!

I want to begin in Nashville. Is that okay?

--- Nashville Stars Want Florida to Bow Down ---
* #1 Florida at Vanderbilt
Why o' why did you come to Nashville? Florida came to Nashville, Tennessee on a business trip. The slithery Gators wanted to show America why they are more than #1 in the SEC East... but also in the nation. Vanderbilt University has a great women's basketball team. The men are... so-so at best. More people would talk about Vanderbilt if the Commodores could slap around Florida a bit. Well, get those lips moving because Vanderbilt pulled the dupe. America's newest power college (forget about power couples) had to go looking for some of their missing teeth as Vanderbilt disgraced Florida. Florida gets to return home on February 21 (Wednesday) to host South Carolina. (83-70; VANDERBILT) *#1 team upset!!!*

*** SIDE NOTE *** There was a brief altercation between Florida's Joakim Noah and Vanderbilt's coach, Kevin Stallings.

--- Sweet Home Alabama! A Sweet Win is What Alabama Wants ---
* #20 Kentucky at #25 Alabama
Let's stay in the SEC and talk about Kentucky meeting the SEC upstarts at Alabama. Who would have thought that Alabama would be in the spotlight in SEC basketball? They were supposed to be a football power, right (even though their football team has been stumbling)? Well guess what. So was Florida. Florida was supposed to be a footballl power and have no real chance of winning in the Big Dance. And if Alabama has their way, the Crimson Tide may well find their stride. Now it's time to meet Lexington, Kentucky's favorite kittens. I don't know of too many dog lovers in Lexington, but you can surely bet that everyone into the royal blue and white are cat lovers. Tubby Smith gathered up his boys to go cause some mayhem in Tuscaloosa. Time to get wild. Who do you call to try to beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa? You could call Urban Meyer, but he's in football. So you call the Kentucky Wildcats up and ask them "hello, Kentucky. I have a problem with Alabama basketball. Could you please take care of them? Thanks!" And like the rapid response team they are, they pulled into Tuscaloosa to take care of business. Alabama tried to mess with the law... and Alabama won. Kentucky's woes continue. And it isn't going to get any better this coming Tuesday because LSU's coming to Lexington. They have more questions than answers now. (72-61; #25 ALABAMA) *upset!*

NOTE: An extra on Kentucky is coming up later in this report.

--- Shock and Awe in Lawrence ---
* Nebraska at #9 Kansas
*** NOTE: I'd like to warn you that the following material may not be suitable for younger audiences. Parental discretion and use of "OMFG! OWN3D!!!" is strongly advised. *** Okay... if you're among my suitable audience for this score, allow me to give you a score. The University of Kansas. Allen Fieldhouse. Rock... Chalk... Jay... Hawk... K.... U... Jayhawks' basketball in the house! The boys from Lawrence, Kansas took on Lincoln, NE's boys. The multiple-time football champions (1971 and 1995 teams come to my mind) tried to play some hoops. The Cornhuskers were ready to make some wicked noise. Only noise made in this game was the screaming of the Kansas fans as the roof was cracking from their screaming fans. Kansas was game in this one. (92-39; #9 KANSAS)

*** SIDE NOTE *** Nebraska = OWNED!!!

Let's move on to some extra material.

(Extra) Stylin' Coaches
You usually don't see nicely-styled coaches in football because it's probably not all that suitable to wear a full suit out on the sidelines in football. But in the game of basketball, you're indoors, you aren't extremely active, and you can show off a bit. I don't seriously note the style of certain coaches who walk the sidelines in the men's and women's games. So I can't really be at fault in saying who looks best along the sidelines. I seriously doubt that coaches would want to look like they're going to the Oscar awards week after next. But it's pretty cool to show some style if you're on the sidelines trying to coach your team and get into the referees' ears. LSU's women's coach, Pokey Chatman, has some nice style when dressed up in a women's suit or so. College Hoops 2K7 has some pictures of college coaches in the main menu. About the only one I can actually recall was Tubby Smith. But I'm sure people like Dean Smith and Bruce Webber were featured. Who do you think are some of the most stylish coaches that walk the sidelines?

John's Feature School: University of California-Los Angeles
The University of California-Los Angeles is better known as UCLA. This is college basketball's truest basketball dynasty continues to remain one of the finest schools in just about every sport. It was GTPlanet member, StReEtWaLkEr that thrown the name "UCLA" into this very thread. So what I want to do is put them into my discussion. UCLA has 11 basketball championships in the men's game. UCLA has had some great football success as well. Their football team plays at one of the most beautiful stadiums to play football at- the Rose Bowl. If you live in Los Angeles, you know it's all about the University of Southern California and UCLA. Or in the basketball ranks, it's USC vs. UCLA vs. Loyola Marymount. I believe that UCLA is a bit in the northern sector of the greater Los Angeles area. The Bruins play their basketball at Pauley Pavillion. The greatest personality for UCLA is the great John Wooden. Out of the 11 titles UCLA has amassed, Wooden's coaches accounted for 10 of them. He is a well-deserved Hall of Fame coach.

(Extra) Can Kentucky Overtake UCLA in Most National Championships?
UCLA has 11 titles. Kentucky has 7. Could Kentucky overtake UCLA years from now? The extremely impossible thing is for one coach to coach the Wildcats to 11 or more championships. That's not going to happen. A team's coach has to simply stay at that place for as long as possible and be the top team every year, all year. As much as I respect Kentucky, I don't think that there will ever be another John Wooden. Kentucky's big man in coaching was Adolph Rupp. Rupp took Kentucky to glory in 1948, 1949, 1951, and 1958. Other coaches that pitched in for the Wildcats were Joe Hall (1978), Rick Pitino (1996; now the Louisville coach), and current coach Tubby Smith (1998). You know, Kentucky's a dyansty for a reason. If they don't win the National Championship, they usually make Final Four and National Title runs. Beating Kentucky is significant. Just ask Arizona. Just ask UCLA. Hell... even ask Texas Western College (now University of Texas-El Paso). I'm prospective that Kentucky will pick up another title or two within the next 5-10 years. But a lot of good recruiting and ball play will have to take form if Kentucky wants to overtake UCLA for most National Championships.

Now having talked about UCLA, let's see how they do when they head down to Tuscon, Arizona.

--- Jewels in the Desert? Or Fool's Gold? ---
* #5 UCLA at #19 Arizona
UCLA pounded away at Arizona as this 14-point beating gave the Bruins a runaway victory over the Wildcats of Arizona. (81-66; #5 California-Los Angeles)

DID YOU KNOW...
... that the last time Arizona suffered 5 home losses was in the 1986-1987 season?

--- Houston, We Have UAB Problems ---
* UAB (Alabama-Birmingham) at Houston
The Houston Cougars are in great company as they downed the UAB Blazers. The Cougars literally kept it close and pulled away late. (70-64; HOUSTON)

For more scores, take a look at these sites:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-17&c=all&refresh=0
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-17&c=all&refresh=0

Before I go, here are (some of) your 2007 basketball Hall of Fame finalists:

Dick Vitale
Roy Williams
Van Chancellor <<< formerly coached my hometown's WNBA dynasty, the Houston Comets
Adrian Dantley
Bill Davidson
Pedro Fernandez
1966 Texas Western College men's team

Only five get selected. I'm missing about 55% of the rest of the finalists. So in this regard, I'll likely update this when I have more information available. Take care, everyone!

I think I may go cry in the corner. 3 straight losses for my boys in blue.

College basketball is what this thread is about. And so college basketball I shall give my readers. 'Tis my honor to serve the loyal folk of GTPlanet. Forever I shall grace thee with college basketball discussion. Thou art humble. Now is the time to slammeth down the rocketh! Let's hoop it up, players!

Let's begin in the state of North Carolina with some history made.

--- Mike Krzywezki Can Pick Up Win #700 With Win at Home ---
* Georgia Tech at Duke
StReEtWaLkEr has love for Duke. FoolKiller loathes Duke. They say you can't keep a good dog down. About four teams shown that you can keep a good Duke down. In need of wins, Duke's tournament hopes are fading fast. They must win to say alive and safe. If only one man is going to coach today's Duke to greatness, let it be Coach K at Duke University. He's the man the Duke Blue Devils can rely on to take Duke to the promised land yet again. If I'm not mistaken, every Duke National Championship in men's hoops has been under the leadership of Coach K. Coach K has 699 wins. He can make it 700 if his team beat up some boys from Atlanta. But what boys? Georgia State? Clark Atlanta? Or the premier college of Atlanta, Georgia- Georgia Tech. These boys know the difference between wearing yellow and being yellow. GT is a lot of things... but not yellow. The Yellow Jackets look like gnats to Duke. And so much so, Duke got it done and big. Congratulations on #700. He earned his stripes. Then too, that's kind of what you'd expect from a guy who graduated from the United States Military Academy. (71-62; DUKE)

*** SIDE NOTE *** - To learn more about Mike K, read this Wikipedia entry: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_K >.

Congrats to Duke's boys. Now let's see if the Lady Blue Devils can put forth a valiant effort.

--- (Women's Hoops) A Rematch of Last Season's National Championship Game ---
* #1 Duke at #6 Maryland -women's hoops-
The Lady Blue Devils have been winning unlike their men's string of losses. The Lady Terrapins have had to take some tough losses. Duke got themselves some retribution with this win. (69-57; #1 Duke)

*** SIDE NOTE *** - With this win, Duke has clinched the ACC title. If they remain unbeaten into the tournament, they have a chance to be the first unbeaten women's team to win the title since Connecticut's historic title run in the 2004-2005 season. But if they want it, they have to stay in the game and not lose like the 2004-2005 Illinois Fighting Illini (men's team).

--- (Women's Hoops) Ohio State is Hot, but Michigan State Wants to Ice Them ---
* Michigan State at #? Ohio State
Mission accomplished. The Lady Spartans iced the Lady Buckeyes of OhSU. Ohio State's long conference winning streak has been snapped. (63-59; Michigan State) *upset!*

--- Evanston Meets Champaign in Classic Rivalry ---
* Northwestern at Illinois (RIVALRY GAME)
Time to give my boy, dougiemeats some respect. This is a rivalry game between Champaign and Evanston. This would be somewhat of a no-contest in football (Northwestern def. Illinois). But in basketball, it's a completely different story. Bruce Webber's boys are ready to smack up some boys who wear purple and white. The Fighting Illini will look to beat down Northwestern. Despite its name, Northwestern University is in northeastern Illinois around the Chicago area. While not an inner-city school, the Evanston, IL school can be just as much of a force in the Chicago area as DePaul or Illinois-Chicago or whatever. The Wildcats lost by a good number in a VERY low scoring game. This is almost like an offensive shootout in football. (48-37; ILLINOIS)

*** SIDE NOTE *** - Illinois' mascot, , has been told by the NCAA to not have their mascot parade the sidelines. This is all in an effort to ban the usage of offensive or Native American Indian nicknames.

--- New England Battle in America East ---
* New Hampshire at Stony Brook
Durham (NH) meets Staten Island in this battle. Both teams have good football teams. New Hampshire has been the more heralded team in 1-AA football in New England. The New Hampshire Wildcats may have to stick to football because the Seawolves smashed UNH. (67-49; STONY BROOK)

--- South Alabama Wants Some Respect in Miami ---
* South Alabama at Florida International
This HAS to be a huge victory. The Golden Panthers of Miami-based Florida International University took down the University of South Alabama. The Jaguars have plenty of wins... just not for this game in Miami. (69-67; FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL)

--- Football Schools Show Their Basketball Prowess ---
* #23 USCal at Arizona State
The Trojans of Los Angeles went out to Tempe, Arizona. Arizona State is 0-14 in Pac-10 play. Make it 1-14 as Arizona State's Sun Devils shown that the ArSU women's team isn't the only team that can win games for the Tempe outfit. (68-58; ARIZONA STATE) *upset!*

For more, look here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-18&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-18&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

As an extra, congratulations to Kevin Harvick in winning the Daytona 500 in an exciting finish. Have a great President's Day, everyone!

Hope you had a great President's Day. Let me entertain you for a bit.

Now before I ge to Monday scores, let me give you some teams having great seasons.

(Extra) Will This List of Teams Make Selection Sunday (Men Only)?

Kansas State
Wright State
Winthrop
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Missouri State
Pacific
Maryland
Appalachian State
Southern Illinois
College of Charleston

Anything is possible since these teams have a lot of wins.

On to scores, now.

--- Milwaukee's Finest Meets the Greater Philadelphia Area's Finest ---
* Villanova at #12 Marquette
This was a critical match for the Catholic Jesuit university of Milwaukee, WI. The Golden Eaglers were just that- golden in taming Villanova, and as bold as eagles in defeating Villanova's Wildcats. (80-67; #12 MARQUETTE)

--- Colts at Packers... I Mean... Indianapolis at Green Bay ---
* #13 Butler at Wisconsin-Green Bay
The Bulldogs of Colts country took on Wisconsin-Green Bay in a Horizon League match. It was all frowns from the home side as the Phoenix failed to upset Butler. How far can Butler go? (68-58; #13 Butler)

--- We're Not in Kansas Anymore... Oh, Wait... ---
* #9 Kansas at Kansas State
Kansas State has to be feeling terribly sorry they will face a team that KILLED Nebraska by 53 points. State pride is on the line when two of the state's finest schools went at it. Kansas destroyed Nebraska in their last game. Now the Jayhawks have to play with some kitties. Kansas State's brand of kittens are the same at Davidson College, Villanova University, the University of Kentucky, the University of Arizona... and countless other schools- the Wildcats. These cats from the Little Apple (Manhattan, KS) couldn't tame the Kansas Jayhawks. Then again, who CAN? (71-62; #9 Kansas)

Now let me take you people down south. You know, MY hood.

--- Down Souf' Pack ---

--- Houston Looks to Regain More Lost Ground ---
* Houston at Southern Mississippi
Until Houston beats Memphis (they will go to Memphis this Sunday), Houston has to beat Memphis. Houston needs to keep winning their games to reverse their string of misfortune this season. They will have to get it done against Southern Mississippi- a men's team that isn't really as dominating as their football team. Houston still has a chance to make a big run. The Cougars will need to bring everything out of the bag to win. Southern Mississippi has plenty of gold around them. These Golden Eagles are blinged out like Paul Wall or Mike Jones (you'll understand if you come down to Houston and follow the hip-hop scene). They sparkled in gold as they stop Houston's winning streak. (74-69; SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI)

(Extra) Can Houston Return to Their Phi-Slamma Jamma Days?
Phi Slamma Jamma. It was one of the finest fraternities in college basketball. Olajuwon. Drexler. Future Hall of Fame players. What most people fail to realize about most teams relate to the former dominance of past teams. Houston has been to two National Championship games and five Final Fours. Houston has "Turnaround" Tom Penders as head coach. Tom is looking to bring the Coogs back to their NCAA Championship ways. The perfect model for where Houston needs to be is some school like Butler or Nevada. Both teams are ranked very well and have plenty of firepower. I say that Butler and Nevada should be more of where Houston should be like. It's because Conference USA is not one of the BCS conferences. The only big dog in this conference is Memphis. And even Memphis probably couldn't hold much of a candle against a bigtime basketball school like Connecticut or North Carolina or UCLA. Houston will need solid recruiting, well-above-average execution on offense and defense, and just about all that's needed to be and remain a Top 25 team. The Houston team I dream of seeing is a team that can hang with the power schools (even beat some if given the opportunity) and remain a feared school in conference. This dream Houston team of mine has to be able to make their sixth Final Four in school history, and do the one thing Houston hasn't done in two tries- win the National Championship. I mean, Houston is a great basketball city. The Rockets won back-to-back titles in the NBA. And as great as Houston has been in the NBA, the city's finest college team hasn't seen a National Championship in any sport besides golf. Question is, can Houston acheive this feat? I think it's very possible. Only surprising thing is if this current team has a George Mason run into the Final Four. I'll pull for my hometown's best team (and my brother's alma mater) in all their endeavors.

--- Southern Looks to Survive Alabama A&M Threat ---
* Alabama A&M at Southern
Beat Alabama A&M, and you have PLENTY of reason to feel good. Southern University (62-60; SOUTHERN)

*** SIDE NOTE ***
Southern has a player from Burlington, Vermont that came all the way down to Southern University in Baton Rouge, LA! Not likely to find a Black basketballer from Vermont coming down to Louisiana for some round ball at a proud HBCU.

--- (Women's Hoops) Tennessee's Ladies Look to Extend Their Dominance ---
* #3 Tennessee at #7 LSU
Tennessee's ladies are unbeaten under the great Pat Summitt. The men are doing well for Tennnessee, but it's the women's team that gives massive curb appeal to Tennessee basketball. They are 11-0 in SEC play this season. Do the Lady Volunteers have LSU's number? Not if the Baton Rouge girls have their way. These Louisiana ladies are ready to give some cajun cooking to the Volunteer girls. Pokey Chatman came into this game looking for a decisive win. This game could go either way because both teams have impressive talent. The Lady Tigers will only be satisfied if they pick up a win over Summitt's squad. It was a tight fit late in the game. But in the end, Tennessee held on strong. Speaking of strong, they may be STRONG favorites to win it all this postseason. (56-51; #3 Tennessee)

*** SIDE NOTE ***
Tennessee's win here marks a few things:

- 12th Straight SEC title
- 377-57 all 12 teams in SEC
- 14 straight season with at least 10 SEC wins
- seven undefeated seasons

So if you want to be the best women in the SEC, you beat Tennessee. You dig?

-end "Down Souf' Pack"

--- Multi-Win Pack ---
Criteria: 15+ wins

--- An MAAC Football Team Meets a Former MAAC Football Team ---
* Marist at Fairfield
Marist College has a lot of wins. We'll see if they get another win when this football school meets Fairfield. Fairfield once fielded a football team, but it's been defunct since 2003. The Red Foxes were smelling blood as they mangled up the Fairfield Stags. (67-60; Marist)

So what is Marist College? Let's meet them.

(Extra) John's Feature School: Marist College
Marist still has their football team. The MAAC is pretty much a basketball conference since there aren't a lot of football teams. They got about five teams in football. But the real surprise in the MAAC this year is Marist College. The school is based in Poughkeepsie, New York. The Red Foxes of Marist have picked up yet another win. This school hasn't been to the Big Dance since 1987. The city of Poughkeepsie is somewhere in southeastern New York. It is about 20 miles north of the United States Military Academy in West Point, NY. One would have to cross over Interstate 84 (or maybe get on Interstate 84 just to cross the Hudson River. Read more about Marist College here: ( http://www.marist.edu/ ).

--- Wofford Doesn't Want to be Whopped Against Davidson ---
* Wofford at Davidson (RIVALRY GAME?)
Two colleges make ready for battle. Wofford College and Davidson College went at it. The Terriers were primped and pampered and primed... but it was Davidson's Wildcats that neutered the poor puppies. (80-73; DAVIDSON)

--- First Year in Conference Play... First Trip to the Dance? ---
* Texas-Arlington at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Two non-football schools in football-rich Texas will go at it here. The premiere Texas A&M is in College Station. Texas college basketball's newest upstarts come from a little city called Corpus Christi, Texas. I love this team and how they've pulled together over the years. They have had consectutive 20-win seasons before being invited to play in the Southland Conference. They can get to yet another 20 wins if the Islanders can do Corpus Christi proud yet again. They'll need to do it against to make that dream come true. The University of Texas-Arlington Mavericks got blasted here. (91-72; TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI)

--- The College of Cha-Cha-Charleston is Ready to Tango with Furman ---
* College of Charleston at Furman
The College of Charleston Cougars picked up win #19 on the year. Can the Coogs be a threat in March? They had to handle some Paladins to pick up their 19th win. But it was all worth it in the end for this Southern Conference team. (80-77, 2OT; College of Charleston)

-end "Multi-Win Pack"

For more scores, check out these links courtesy of Yahoo! Sports:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-19&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-19&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Tuesday should be great. So please take care and have a nice day.

How about some college hoops? You probably picked up a regulation Wilson NCAA basketball (I've seen plenty at Wal-Mart stores)

--- You Pay a Price for Being #1... ---
* #2 Wisconsin at Michigan State
Steve Lavin and Big Ten alum, Bent Musburger (Northwestern) had the call for this match. In the end, Wisconsin was #1 in one poll. Too bad the Badgers weren't #1 against Michigan State. The Spartans may have saved their season with this win. (64-55; MICHIGAN STATE)

--- Kentucky Can't Stand to Lose Four Straight ---
* LSU at Kentucky
Remember the number 17. What's so special about this number? It is the number of years it's been since Kentucky loses four straight games. Now don't get saddened or think Kentucky lost. You haven't ready the score report fully yet. If Kentucky loses, it will be the first time in 17 years they lost four straight. Will three be the charm? Let's find out. John Smith coaches LSU (10th year), and Tubby Smith coaches Kentucky (10th year). No "Big Baby" for LSU... and I guess Kentucky has all or most of their boys. So let's see what they do. Baton Rouge was saddened last night when the women lost to Tennessee. The men have been thriving until things started to fall apart. LSU is unranked in the men's game. All a Tiger can do is take some aggression out on another pack of cats. Auburn would be too easy. So you go to Kentucky- a real college hoops team. Kentucky has seven titles in the men's game. Kentucky knows what being the best for so long is like. Teams don't COMPLETELY dominate all the time. There is no college basketball eqivalent of the De La Salle Spartans in this day and age. Nobody wins dozens of games. If that's true, then the boys in Las Vegas betting their money away could bet $1,000,000 that Kentucky beats every team in America all the way to a championship much like the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers. But teams struggle. Look at Duke before they found their stride. My GTP buddy FoolKiller hates reading my reports in saying that Kentucky loses to teams. So I bet his Wildcats (he's one himself) have a game plan as to avoid losing four straight in the critical month of February. Last ESPN telecast from Rupp Arena, Dick Vitale was in the house. But this time, it's Brad Nessler and Jimmy Dykes who had the call. Man... Rupp Arena almost seems like the entire city of Lexington is in the house. What wasn't in the house early was Kentucky's shooting. LSU was taking on Kentucky like Kentucky was Iona or Centenary College (Shreveport, LA). They always remember- "Never, never, never, never, never ever give up!" The ESPN Star Watch was the matchup between Tasmin Mitchell and Randolph Morris. They made it 28-17 in favor of LSU after Kentucky played a little football in throwing a long ball to a Wildcat for a wide-open player for a fast break lay-up. Almost wanted to say "Touchdown!" But, this is hoops. You have to elevate to the rack to score rather than stand in some painted area. Morris and Bradley for Kentucky provided most of Kentucky's scoring in the first half. At 1:36 left in the half, LSU's bench picked up a Technical Foul. Kentucky was cashing in the technical free throws. Kentucky gets their first three-pointer with 1:17 left in the half to make it a football score of 31-27. Kentucky still hasn't had themselves a lead. Both teams got in plenty of foul trouble. The half ended as LSU lead 31-30. This coming off of Kentucky trailing by something like 15 or so points. Love or hate Kentucky, they know how to stay in the fight. They won't lose by 30 and do nothing impactful all the while. They will stay at it. Their tenacity alone could propel them through March Madness if they make the Big Dance. Throughout the second half, Kentucky shown LSU who the baddest cats in the SEC are. Kentucky needed this one. And they cashed in. If I'm not mistaken, this is the 11th straight time LSU has lost to Kentucky at Rupp Arena. Tubby Smith and company almost want to give everyone in Rupp Arena pats on the back for knocking off LSU and ending their losing streak. Find out if Kentucky keeps a great thing going when they play this Sunday to get revenge over Vanderbilt in Nashville. (70-61; KENTUCKY)

*** SIDE NOTE ***
(1) Lexington seems like a very nice city to visit as it has a pretty nice skyline. Rupp Arena looks very nice from the outside. Real awesome facility inside. I was going to say that a Texas version of Lexington (relatively small city with a bigtime school) is Beaumont and Lamar University. I actually been to Beaumont as a Lamar Cardinal. The focal point of the city is Lamar University. The tallest building besides downtown is Lamar's eight or nine story library. It is a very nice university in a pretty small city (compared to my hometown of Houston!) You become part of the Golden Triangle when in Beaumont. The Golden Triangle is Beaumont, Port Authur, TX, and Lake Charles, LA.

(2) That Orzbut guy for Kentucky? Never realized how big this Polish dude is! He's freaking big! He could play for Kentucky's football team on defense. He'd easily pass for a fullback or a defensive tackle.

Speaking of Texas...

--- North Meets South in Texas Throwdown ---
* Texas Tech at #20 Texas
When I was watching the LSU/Kentucky game, my first hint of this game was that Texas was hammering Texas Tech. In the end, it's "Hook 'em Horns" as the Longhorns made an easy win over the Texas Tech Red Raiders. (80-51; #20 TEXAS)

--- Illinois State Meets Omaha's Kings of Basketball ---
* Creighton at Illinois State
The Jesuit University of Omaha, Nebraska will head into Illinois to meet some birds. In fact... we got two teams named after birds. This game saw the homeside beat the Creighton Blue Jays. The Redbirds of Illinois State got her done in Normal, IL. (-; ILLINOIS STATE)

--- Winthrop Clinches the Big South Title ---
* High Point at Winthrop
These two non-football schools in the Big South are ready to make something happen. Winthrop may be ready to return to the Big Dance in March. By winning this game, the Eagles of Winthrop University will be able to host the Big South tournament at Winthrop for the entire duration of the tournament. I was going to report that they are going to the Big Dance, but they aren't just yet. The High Point University Panthers could not stop Winthrop as they lost by a dozen. (72-60; WINTHROP)

--- Kentucky Wesleyan Wants to Hammer Western Kentucky to the Ground ---
* Kentucky Wesleyan at Western Kentucky
Let's see what happens when a Division 2 Kentucky team meets perhaps the Bluegrass State's biggest mid-major. Western Kentucky University can be found in the city of Bowling Green, KY. Looking to bowl over WKU is Kentucky Wesleyan College. The Hilltoppers don't want anyone topping them on the hard court... not even some boys in purple and gold. Kentucky Wesleyan College is a Division 2 school. They have a football program and a pretty competitive basketball team. They are based in a city familiar to most American racing fans- Owensboro, Kentucky. It is the home town of Michael Waltrip and MotoGP champion, the "Kentucky Kid," Nicky Hayden. The Panthers think they are the baddest Division 2 cats in Kentucky. But in this match, it was Western Kentucky waving their red towels high as they covered KWC purple in Hilltopper Red. This wasn't a blowout victory, but a win is a win regardless. Just ask how Butler did against Florida Gulf Coast some time back. (74-67; WESTERN KENTUCKY)

Now get ready for some upsets... besides that game in East Lansing, of course.

*upset!* Pack
Storm the court! It's upset time!

*** Men's Upsets ***

--- UNLV Stuns Air Force Two Days After NBA All Star Game ---
* #14 Air Force at UNLV (60-50; NEVADA-LAS VEGAS) *upset!*

--- Providence Shows Prominence in Scaling Mount WVU to Victory ---
* #22 West Virginia at Providence (64-61; PROVIDENCE) *upset!*

*** Women's Upsets***

--- (Women) Mother Nature Punishes Nebraska ---
* #25 Nebraska at Iowa State (64-53; IOWA STATE) *upset!*

--- (Women) Marquette Grounded and Couldn't Fly Away ---
* #19 Marquette at Seton Hall (63-58; SETON HALL) *upset!*