College Basketball: February 2007

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 45 comments
Make ready for college basketball for Ash Wednesday. I'll try to take you to as many places as possible. It was a beautiful day today here in Houston once the skies cleared out. So I'm going to invite you all to Houston. Why? Because I'm John, this is my home town, and I'm the big cheese of this deal.

NOTE: The following scores will be rapid fire as I want to hurry and get to Thursday games.

--- RAPID FIRE SCORES ---
* Tulane at Houston (78-70; HOUSTON)
* #?? Texas A&M at Oklahoma State (66-46; #?? Texas A&M)
* Texas Tech at Texas A&M (Women) (67-51; TEXAS A&M)
* #?? Virginia at Miami (68-60; MIAMI) *upset!*
* #17 Vanderbilt at Mississippi State (83-70; MISSISSIPPI STATE) *upset!*
* #25 Alabama at Tennessee (69-66, OT; TENNESSEE) *upset!*

* Michigan at Illinois (54-42; ILLINOIS)
* Rhode Island at Xavier (98-72; XAVIER)
* Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Illinois-Chicago (72-59; ILLINOIS-CHICAGO)
* Winston-Salem State at North Dakota State (83-68; NORTH DAKOTA STATE)
* Dayton at Saint Louis (66-56; SAINT LOUIS)
* Florida State at Maryland (73-55; MARYLAND)
* James Madison at Virginia Commonwealth (83-72; VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH)

More scores here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-21&c=all&refresh=0
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-21&c=all&refresh=0

Thursday scores are on the way later!

I didn't get to put out Thursday results, so let me give you an upset in the men's game.

--- Road Teams Never Stand a Chance, Huh? ---
* Loyola University of Chicago at Butler
Well, they do. The Butler Bulldogs may have some trouble in March if they keep allowing certain teams to beat them. Loyola University of Chicago shown their past strength by beating Butler on the road. The Ramblers were once National Champions after all... (75-71; Loyola University of Chicago) *upset!*[/COLOR]

More scores here. See if your favorite team won or if your least favorite team lost:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-22&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-22&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

I'll likely just preview Saturday's game on Friday scores. I'll still do scores, but Friday is sort of a ho-hum day compared to Saturday. So see you people around.

I want to welcome you all to today's score report brought to you by me and continued by you. We can work together to talk college basketball. Teams are enhancing their tournament resumés as well as making ready to go to the Dance. So we must see how all the teams do. I want to begin with Florida as they go down to Baton Rouge to meet the Bayou Bengals.

--- Florida is Looking Good, But LSU Wants to Play Speed Bump on Florida's Highway to March ---
* Florida at LSU
Like Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes (TomKat), the hottest power school is Florida. They won the title in football, won last year's men's basketball championship, and hope to maybe win the baseball title as college baseball season is underway. We have a battle between two SEC schools who are usually high-class competitors in just about every sport. The Florida Gators are slithering their way into Baton Rouge, LA. But look out- you're playing in LSU's house!
(66-56; LOUSIANA STATE) *upset!*

Let me show you some basketball action from the fairer sex.

--- (Women) Bowling Green Meets a Women's Team From the Same State ---
* Ohio at #1? Bowling Green - women's hoops -
The Bowling Green State University Lady Falcons flown majestically in all of their games... except this one against Ohio's Lady Bobcats. (70-67; Ohio)

Now back to the men by going out west.

--- California Pack ---
I want to give California some love. I don't usually get to talk about West Coast action because I normally have to go to bed during the Sunday-Wednesday swing. Then too, I don't get to talk much about West Coast games because I normally am not able to get to West Coast teams unless they play at earlier times. So let me do the honors.

--- California Polytechnical Institute Could Possibly Remember the Titans ---
* Cal Poly at California State-Fullerton
This is a game between California Polytechnical Institute and California State University in Fullerton. They comprise two of over nine teams that play in the Big West Conference. This is not to be confused with the football-only Great West Conference. California Polytechnical University can be found in the city of San Luis Obispo, CA. The city is more commonly abbreviated as "SLO." Cal Poly certainly isn't SLO-w. The Mustangs have their 351 Windsors ready to outrun any stocker that dare comes their way. Cal Poly brought their Detroit Iron into Fullerton to meet some jive turkeys. I had to check a map for this one. Fullerton, CA is actually a suburb of Los Angeles. It is a suburb of eastern Los Angeles. Fullerton is north of Anaheim, CA. You'll probably see California State-Fullerton if you're riding on Highway 57. This team sports a grayish blue color and gold. They are known as the Titans. They have titanic ability. But we all know what happened to the Titanic. That was the same result that Cal Poly gave California State-Fullerton. NBA-like scoring here. (90-80; California Polytechnical)

--- Gonzaga Heads Into Beautiful San Francisco Looking in Building Tourney Resumé ---
* Gonzaga at San Francisco
There may not be a city I love in California more than San Francisco. And why not? It's such a beautiful place. You have stuff like the Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, the Transamerica Pyramid, Candlestick Park (San Francisco Giants' baseball), the Cow Palace, and more. There is also one other beautiful attraction- the University of San Francisco. And if San Francisco State University was in Divsion 1, they would EASILY be crosstown rivals. USaFr gets Gonzaga. This is a battle between two schools rich in Jesuit religious tradition. Let's meet the 'Zags. Gonzaga University is in Spokane, WA. Under Adam Morrison's wing last season, Gonzaga became an Elite Eight team. They haven't been as hot this season as they were last season. The Bulldogs still remain a formidable force regardless. Those Bulldogs made the long travel to San Francisco. They even took a cable car ride to USaFr. Now let's meet San Francisco. Most people who wear Hollister clothing normally say that they love SoCal. NoCal can be lovely as well. It must be very exciting to have San Francisco, California as your classroom. One is only a few blocks away from San Francisco's Golden Gate Park when at the University of San Francisco. This Catholic Jesuit school had its best years when Bill Russell was playing for them. The University of San Francisco won back-to-back National Championships in the mid-1950s. In fact, I think this year marks the 50th Anniversary of their National Championship triumph in 1957. The Dons sadly don't have football anymore. So you football fans into college hoops may have to look elsewhere for some pigskin love (like California or Stanford). The Dons are hopeful in taking down Gonzaga in War Memorial Gym. This game needed Overtime to be resolved. And in the end, the boys from the state of Washington returned home with a win on the road. (86-79, OT; Gonzaga)

--- California Heads Into Los Angeles to Beat USCal After Arizona Softened Them Up ---
* California at USCal
I normally thought California was a tough-as-nails team in almost every sport. Apparently not basketball since the Trojans blew away the Golden Bears of California. (84-66; SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)

--- Stockton and Northridge Settle Which is the Better California City ---
* Pacific at California State-Northridge
California State University at Northridge is usually abbreivated as CSUN. Hopefully the sun will shine on Northridge's chances of winning this game against Pacific. The University of Pacific Tigers are in the city of Stockton, CA. The Northridge boys want some business taken care of. And that's what the Matadors did in captivity. (76-73; CALIFORNIA STATE-NORTHRIDGE)

--- Moraga Meets Los Angeles ---
* Santa Clara at Loyola Marymount
The city of Los Angeles has seen a number of their teams compete. It's the home of the Clippers and Lakers vs. a city that will host San Francisco 49ers sometime in 2012. The Loyola Marymount Lions came roaring into this one. But so did the Santa Clara Broncos. The home side won the game in a super-close way. Great job by a school that used to be known as Loyola University of Los Angeles. (67-66; LOYOLA MARYMOUNT)

--- More Los Angeles Action as Stanford Comes to L.A. ---
* Stanford at #4 UCLA
StReEtWaLkEr must be watching intently as his beloved UCLA squad meet Stanford. The Stanford Cardinal logo is a big pine tree. If Stanford's a tree, then the UCLA Bruins smoked that tree. Fourteen was the margin of victory. (75-61; #4 UCLA)

--- The Rose City Rose to the Occasion of Wanting to Beat San Diego ---
* Portland at San Diego
The University of San Diego has a great football team. The University of Portland has a considerate basketball team. The Portland Pilots couldn't hammer home a victory as the San Diego Toreros got her done in perhaps Division 1's southernmost California school (besides San Diego State). (82-76; SAN DIEGO)

--- Davis, California Isn't Smiling After This ---
* California-Davis at Long Beach State
California State University of Long Beach is ready for some action in SoCal. The California-Davis Mustangs were blown right out of Long Beach as the 49ers struck rich. This was not even close. (102-77; LONG BEACH STATE)

...which brings me to my Feature School.

John's Feature School: Long Beach State University (also known as California State University-Long Beach)
Racing fans are very familiar with the city of Long Beach. It is the city that hosts the annual Long Beach Grand Prix. The American Le Mans Series will debut at this track later this year. But what happens when Long Beach isn't (legally) racing on the streets? It's full of students hitting the books. Meet Long Beach State University. There was football at Long Beach State that originated in the 1980s and ended in 1992. Their sports team is known as the 49ers. They are crazy enough to call their baseball team as the Dirtbags. This is a public and urban four-year institution in wonderful Long Beach, California. Their team logo looks as much like a baseball logo as Alabama's logo (the letter "A" enclosed in a circle. Speaking of Alabama, their game against Auburn is next!). Their sports teams aren't the only teams making waves. In fact, they have a Formula SAE program at Long Beach State. And anytime you want to visit western Los Angeles for all the glitz and glam, you're about 20-50 minutes away going northwest of LBSU.

For more information on Long Beach State University, visit these websites:
http://www.csulb.edu/ (Home)
http://www.csulb.edu/sports/ (Athletics)

-end "California Pack"

Now let's return to the SEC.

--- Iron Bowl Match Pits David vs. Goliath ---
* Auburn at #?? Alabama (RIVALRY GAME: Iron Bowl -football-; "Battle for Alabama" -basketball-)
The Iron Bowl is on tap... but in basketball. Some of you probably know that I love Alabama's fight song called "Hey Alabama!" As good as that fight song sounds, it's a song people in Auburn hate. So Auburn's going to shut up Alabama by all means. The Tigers are the most terrible team in SEC men's basketball. They are heading into Alabama with a purpose- to wash away the Crimson Tide. People think Alabama is overrated. This game's result gives people reason to prove 'Bama is overrated. (86-77; Auburn) *upset!*

--- Tennessee Meets Florida ---
* Belmont at North Florida
Vanderbilt isn't the only great basketball team in Nashville. The Belmont Bruins shown North Florida no mercy as they shot the Ospreys out of the sky. (74-54; Belmont)

Let's slow it down for a moment. I got some extras.

--- (Extra) Duke Picks Up Their Biggest Win in Almost a Year ---
Duke University. They can play every sport except football. The big win I'm talking about is an extra. And it has nothing to do with Coach K, Cameron Indoor Stadium, or anything like that. I'm talking about their Men's Lacrosse team. The game of lacrosse is an interesting hybrid of four different sports. Think football meets basketball meets hockey meets soccer. The goal of lacrosse is to carry a lacrosse ball into a net as you pass the ball to other players. You must then attack a net by which is protected by a goalie. Duke took on Dartmouth College of the Ivy League. By the end of the First Half, the #6 Duke Blue Devils led Dartmouth 8-5. By the end of the game and with great execution, Duke motored along to pick up a big win. This win was big because this helps show that Duke Men's Lacrosse is back to normal after having to cancel the 2006 season. Duke won 17-10 over Dartmouth. They get the Pioneers of Denver University tomorrow.

--- (Extra) Is Philadelphia the Best Major City for College Sports? ---
The city of Philadelphia has six area universities in Division 1 basketball. Those schools are Villanova University, Saint Joseph's University, Temple University, La Salle University, Drexel University, and the University of Pennsylvania. You can play football at Villanova (1-AA/FCS), La Salle (1-AA/FCS), Pennsylvania (1-AA/FCS), and Temple (1-A/FBS). Every school except Drexel in Philadelphia comprise Philadelphia's Big Five. The inclusion of Drexel makes it the City Six. Only Villanova and La Salle have won National Championships out of these six schools. On the Division 2 level, the women's team at the University of Philadelphia (non-football) is having a great season with a history-making coach. There's also Holy Family, USP (University of the Sciences in Philadelphia), and Philadelphia Biblical where you can attend class and play college sports in the City of Brotherly Love. So is Philadelphia the most involved city in college sports? That's for you to debate.

Hope you've gathered up your breath. We got more scores for you.

--- Is Oklahoma State Done for Good for a March Bid? Texas Tech Thinks So ---
* Oklahoma State at Texas Tech
There's still life in Stillwater... albeit not very much life. They didn't have much life anyways as the Cowboys lost a tight fit to the Texas Tech Red Raiders. (59-57; TEXAS TECH)

--- The Catholic Jesuit University of Milwaukee Meets the Golden Dome Boys in Indiana ---
* #16 Marquette at Notre Dame
Milwaukee was looking for sunshine and happiness, but the Fighting Irish sent the Marquette Golden Eagles back to Milwaukee for rain and sadness. (85-76; NOTRE DAME) *upset!*

--- Red River Rampage ---
* #1? Texas at Oklahoma (RIVALRY GAME: Red River Shootout)
Texas and Oklahoma plain HATE each other. (68-58; Texas)

--- Syracuse's NCAA Tourney Bid is on the Line at Providence ---
* Syracuse at Providence
In the face of danger, the Syracuse Orange brought plenty of color over the black and white Providence Friars. (71-67; Syracuse)

--- Washington, D.C. is Ready to Lay Down the Law on Pittsburgh ---
* #8 Pittsburgh at #12 Georgetown
Pittsburgh picks up their first road loss in conference play. Tough time to get it as the Panthers fell at the Verizon Center with about 13K Georgetown Hoyas fans. (-; GEORGETOWN)

--- Texas Christian University Looks to Intercept Air Force Out of the Fort Worth Aerospace ---
* #1? Air Force at TCU
(71-66; TEXAS CHRISTIAN) *upset!*

--- Southland Conference Pack ---
Let's check in with the Southland Conference and some of the games played.

--- Louisiana Goes West to Meet a Texas ---
* McNeese State at Lamar
The only Division 1 university I have attended and enrolled in was Lamar University. The game is at the Montagne Center- a building I attended just to attend classes. I had only a small peek at their basketball arena when I was a student there in 2002. Had I lasted longer, I would have been a Lamar graduate. You can hear their fight song if you have "College Hoops 2K7" and play as Lamar University at home. They'll meet some boys from Louisiana with McNeese State (75-71; LAMAR)

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Lamar is 4th in the Southland Conference in 3-point field goals? They have about 215.

--- Staying in Texas, Meet the Hottest Southland Team There is ---
* Texas-San Antonio at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Texas A&M is having a great season. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is having their own great season. These boys reside on an island and are miles... lightyears away from ordinary. This is a battle of two teams thinking about starting football. The University of Texas-San Antonio is the largest school in America without a football program. UTSA is ready to tackle Texas A&M-Corpus Christi with everything they got. They'll need all of their talent when they go and meet TAMU-CC. The Roadrunners went southeast to meet the hottest team in South Texas. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is looking for their first-ever NCAA tournament bid. Let me tell you how impressive this team is. They have had consecutive 20-win seasons. They have one more right now. I know Butler has been the surprise team nobody saw coming, but look down here in Texas. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is slowly becoming its own powerhouse. The Islanders are prospective of glory and are willing to have the inside track on the Southland Western Division come Southland tournament time. That inside track remains intact as this blowout is complete. (75-59; TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI)

--- RAPID FIRE SOUTHLAND RESULTS (Men Only) ---
* Sam Houston State at Texas State (97-83; Sam Houston State)
* Stephen F. Austin at Texas-Arlington (69-62; ARLINGTON)
* Central Arkansas at Nicholls State (70-66; Central Arkanas)

-end "Southland Conference Pack"

That's all for today. Get more scores and other results here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-24&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-24&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)
http://www.d3hoops.com/schedule.php?date=2007-02-24&team=mens (Division 3 - Men)
http://www.d3hoops.com/schedule.php?date=2007-02-24&team=womens (Division 3 - Women)

I believe this Sunday will be Selection Sunday for Division 3. So I'll update my tournament thread with more information. Until then, more interesting games are coming up this Sunday. My hometown Houston Cougars will have to play the game of their lives against Memphis. Kentucky's going to Nashville to get revenge over Vanderbilt. And let's not forget an epic matchup between Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Again, Feb. 25 marks Selection Sunday for Division 3 basketball teams. I'll be sure to come back with tournament updates for Division 3. Meanwhile, thank you for reading. Come back again for my next report! And if you like, you may click on the "My Other Home Page" link. You may add me as a buddy if you like from that page. Thanks for your cooperation. Take care.

I have a question.

Kentucky loses a close one to Florida, then Kentucky has a nice win agaiunst LSU, and then LSU beats Florida.

With all the talk of where Kentucky will stand in the toiurnament what does this paradox do for Kentucky, especially factoring in that they had three straight losses this month?

I do not envy the selection committee because situation like this happen all the time.

It's February 25th. It is a beautiful Sunday here in Houston. It is also beautiful of you to return to this thread to see some college basketball scores. We are not very far away from Selection Sunday for Division 1. So what do you say we get this thing going? I know some of you are looking into watching Oscar action

I want to start in Tennessee. I'll have Conference USA action first followed by the SEC. But first, I'm talking you to the capital of Ohio for some basketball action as it's #1 vs. #2 in a Big Ten showdown.

--- Greg Oden vs. Alando Tucker ---
* #2 Wisconsin at #1 Ohio State
Ohio State is tops in the nation... and Wisconsin WAS tops in the nation. Ohio State hasn't lost a game in ages while Wisconsin had to take a tough one at Michigan State. Ohio State and Wisconsin aren't defined rivals, but you can surely bet these two will fight it out in a classic shootout. With one minute left, Wisconsin cashed in a quick layup to make it 48-47. This is a low-scoring shootout (pardon the oxymoron). Ohio State put Wisconsin in the bonus as Wisconsin bricked the front end of the 1-and-1. Ohio State went up by one to make it 49-48 with under five seconds left. That score would remain as Wisconsin failed to hit a lay-up late in the game. How about it, Klostrophic[/B}? (49-48; #1 OHIO STATE)

*** SIDE NOTE ***
NEVER have gum drop out of your mouth, on the court, pick it up, and chew it again! Pretty gross by Ohio State coach, Thad Matta.

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Ohio State hasn't lost a home game since January 15, 2006 vs. Michigan State? January 15th is my birthday.

--- Houston Must Play for All the Marbles in Memphis ---
* Houston at #7 Memphis
It is a beautiful day here in Houston. However, Houston hasn't had a beautiful time with Memphis. They lost to Memphis earlier in the season at home on ESPN. Maybe a game on CBS will give them hope. I usually say that Houston teams can't seem to win nationally-televised games all of a sudden. My Houston Rockets have been doing great this season including some games on ESPN. CBS hosts March Madness action for the men. Maybe Houston gets her done on CBS in Memphis on Premium TV. The University of Houston has great basketball and football heritage. Houston has five Final Fours and two National Championship appearances. It is very unlikely there will be another Phi Slamma Jamma. Today's Cougars are simply trying to make the run to March Madness for the NCAA. Unfortunately, this hasn't been their year. Last season was great. The 2006-2007 season was supposed to be the year Houston makes the Dance in captivity. But that's not the case. Houston now falls to 15-13 overall and will have home field advantage in the Conference USA tournament. (77-64; #7 MEMPHIS)

--- Kentucky Prepares for Next-to-Last Road Game ---
* Kentucky at #17 Vanderbilt
Brace yourselves! Kentucky and Vandy are ready to hit it off in Nashville. This is a FoolKiller special. Let's meet the Away team first. The University of Kentucky needs to keep winning their games and stay close with more powerful teams. Some of Kentucky's best years were under Adolph Rupp way back when. Kentucky still remains a top school. After all, name me any team (besides UCLA) that has seven or more titles in men's hoops? Thought so. The Wildcats of today are under Tubby Smith's command. There may not be Teyshawn Prince or Chuck Hayes, but they do have players like Joe Crawford and Randolph Morris. UK will need those boys and others to take down Vandy. The Commodores were ready to pummel Kentucky because that's what Vanderbilt does and wants to do. I checked the score on ESPN when I was briefly watching a women's basketball game. What I saw stunned me- Kentucky was blowing Vanderbilt's doors off when all of the a sudden in the Second Half... Vanderbilt comes back to beat Kentucky. That's what happened when you give these teams forty minutes. Vanderbilt comes from behind to beat Kentucky after Kentucky put up a nice lead on them. Sad loss for Kentucky. Maybe even disappointing. (67-65; #?? VANDERBILT)

KENTUCKY'S FINAL TWO GAMES:
2/28 - Georgia
3/4 - at Florida

Can they still make the dance?

--- UNC Double ---

--- North Carolina ---
* #5 North Carolina at Maryland
This game was slated for 4:30 in College Park, Maryland. So let's see who wins this one. North Carolina has long been a stronghold of basketball superstars. They have Tyler Hansbrough who could be a difference maker for this team. The Tar Heels headed into Comcast Arena looking for some love. They wouldn't get any from the College Park faithful. (89-87; MARYLAND) *upset!*

--- (Women) UNC Wants Revenge Over Hated Duke ---
* #4 North Carolina at #1 Duke
The Duke men have stumbled and looking to rebound. Duke's ladies are showing that if you want something done right, you let some girls do it. This season, Duke's girls do it better than Duke's boys. There's still hope that the UNC Tar Heels
In the end, Duke ends their women's regular season campaign with a 29-0 finish. (67-62; #1 DUKE)

*** SIDE NOTE ***
Duke's women becomes the first-ever unbeaten ACC team with this win.

North Carolina loses BOTH games. Sorry, Tar Heel fans.

-end "UNC Double"

--- Duke Causes Some Trouble in New York City ---
* #17 Duke at St. John's
One of the 12:00 PM EST games on CBS was Duke going out of conference to meet St. John's University. It's blue meeting red. We meet Duke first. I think Duke probably seen how their men's lacrosse team did when they took on Dartmouth College. Remember when I did my extra on if Duke is the Devil? Well, the Blue Devils are glad to be innocent again in men's lacrosse. Coach K's Blue Devils need to lay the smack down on all their opposition heading into the tournament. That opposition includes St. John's. Like Houston, St. John's is trying to rediscover their past glory. St. John's has New York City as their classroom. The Red Storm would love nothing more but to be as majestic as the Statue of Liberty. They want to blaze that trail and carry their torches high in lighting the way for future superstars. Whatever shining stars the Red Storm had fizzled out against the Duke boys. (67-50; #17 Duke)

--- Vermont is Looking Great... and Hartford Isn't ---
* Hartford at Vermont
This is the America East Conference action. We have Hartford taking on Vermont. Time to see which team gets the "W" in this match. One of the only two states without NCAA football is Vermont (the other is Alaska). The Catamounts slam dunked the Hartford Hawks like crazy. (90-77; VERMONT)

Let's get an extra in.

--- (Extra) Can You REALLY Watch Four Games on One Screen? ---
DirecTV has that Mega March Madness package in which one could watch four games on one screen when Men's March Madness rolls around. But here's a question for you- could you really keep up with four games at once? My parents have Dish. So what I normally do is commit to watching one game, then switch over to another game that may be in progress. It would be interesting if I could watch two games in one. My TV doesn't have one of those picture-within-picture features. So it isn't like I can focus on one game while watching another. I don't think I could watch four games on one screen. I can look at four pretty ladies on one computer monitor, but I can't look at four games at once. Then too, what if all four games are intensely competitive with neither team wanting to lose? Besides,

Now let's go to the MAAC conference.

--- Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference Watch ---
* Loyola College at Canisius (74-71; Loyola College)
* Rider at Niagara (89-77; NIAGARA)

-end "Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference Watch"

--- (Women) Philadelphia's Temple Meets George Washington ---
* Temple at #9 George Washington (56-53; #9 GEORGE WASHINGTON)

--- Connecticut May Settle for the NIT. Will Louisville Join The NIT? ---
* Louisville at Connecticut
The Louisville Cardinals headed into Hartford, CT to meet Connecticut. The Huskies couldn't shake the Cardinals down the stretch. (76-69; Louisville)

--- St. Bonaventure is Struggling and Needs a Win ---
* St. Bonaventure at Duquesne
The Bonnies may have lost Jermaine Calvin (left the team), but they still took good care of Duquesne's Dukes. The New Yorkers took care of business in Pittsburgh. St. Bonaventure is now 7-20 on the season and probably not going to ANYONE's tournament. (97-94; St. Bonaventure)

*** SIDE NOTE ***
Read more about Jermaine Calvin's departure from the team here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...lug=ap-stbonaventure-calvin&prov=ap&type=lgns

There are more available scores here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-25&c=all&refresh=0 (men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-25&c=all&refresh=0 (women)

For Monday scores, I want to take a look at the struggles St. Bonaventure is having. Hope you enjoyed these games, the California Auto Club 500, and even the Oscars. Take care, everyone!

Kentucky can't finish a game lately and I have no clue why. Whether it is to stage a come back and fall short in the last minute or hold a solid lead until the last minute they can't close the game out.

As for making the dance, yes but they won't have a good seed. They are far from being worse than 64th ranked by any measure, but they are not going to be in the top 7 seeds.

From what I've been hearing, Vanderbilt was being held down and punched to the ground... until Vandy comes back to win. I personally don't think Kentucky could afford any more such losses. Because what if (this isn't likely) Kentucky becomes a seed somewhere between 2 and 4, have to play someone like Old Dominion or South Alabama... and South Alabama comes back to win after UK pummels them? You have to finish off opponents if you're leading. If trailing, you have to have more answers than questions. Georgia's coming to Rupp for UK's final home game of the season. And on top of that, they go to Florida this coming Sunday.

I'll predict something for you, FoolKiller. I say there's an 80% chance they beat Georgia. Then, a 30... you know what? I'm thinking upset. That's my bold prediction- Kentucky wins out, makes the SEC tournament, and kick as much booty as they would like. I think there's a 60% chance this actually happens for the Wildcats of Kentucky.

But what do YOU think about the remainder of the season and heading into March Madness?

But what do YOU think about the remainder of the season and heading into March Madness?
We beat Georgia, although Felton has been a thorn in our side for a long time. He has Tubby figured out.

Then we lose to Florida because at Florida won't be as close as it was at home.

As for March, we will do well early on in the SEC tournament, but we won't make the championship round. Then we will be an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA tournament and most likely go out against a top seed in the second round. If we manage to upset a top seed then from there is anyone's guess.

So you don't see Kentucky going to the Sweet Sixteen or higher?
Not if they don't start finishing games. They are likely to play teams that will be a close game and their recent record with close games doesn't look good. They aren't being blown out so I doubt their loss will be embarrassing, but they struggle when it is close in the final minutes. I don't know if this is mental or what, but it is not something that needs to be happening at the end of the season.

People, I've had to deal with school. And so instead of giving you any highlights, I'm simply going to let you have some quick scores from random games I've selected. I call it RAPID FIRE.

RAPID FIRE
--- Men's Scores ---
More at: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-26&c=all&refresh=0
* Texas Southern at Alabama State (72-67; ALABAMA STATE)
* Wagner at Central Connecticut State (79-54; CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE)
* Bethune-Cookman at Delaware State (47-40; DELAWARE STATE)
* Akron at Duquesne (87-74; Akron)
* Texas Pan-American at The New Jersey Institute of Technology (70-58; Texas Pan American)
* #6 Kansas at Oklahoma (67-65; #6 Kansas)
* Portland at San Francisco (70-67; SAN FRANCISCO)
* #12 Georgetown at Syracuse (72-58; SYRACUSE) *upset!* and *disappointing loss*

--- Women's Scores ---
More at: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-26&c=all&refresh=0
* High Point at Charleston Southern (63-51; High Point)
* Syracuse at Cincinatti (59-54; CINCINATTI)
* Oral Roberts at IUPUI (60-56; INDIANA UNIVERSITY-PURDUE UNIVERSITY-INDIANAPOLIS)
* West Virginia at #23 Louisville (76-;71, OT; West Virginia) *upset!*
* #3 Connecticut at #21 Rutgers (70-44; #3 Connecticut)
* Allen at Savannah State (93-28; SAVANNAH STATE)

--- Extras ---
Should Dick Vitale be a Hall of Famer? More here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...lug=dw-knightvitale022607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And that is all from me. Thanks for your reading.

--- Extras ---
Should Dick Vitale be a Hall of Famer? More here: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...lug=dw-knightvitale022607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
I agree with Bobby Knight that Dick Vitale has done a lot for college basketball, but he might have trouble getting him in because Vitale has trouble hiding his bias at times (a lot of them) and he can be annoying.

And while it is just my opinion that he is one of my least favorite broadcasters, if I think it then at least a few other people do.

But his passion and his dedication to the sport itself should be plenty of reason for him to get in. You won't find anyone else like him.

We're nearing the end of February, but beware the ides of March. Get your scores and be informed.

--- Tennessee Tries to Soften Up Florida for Kentucky This Sunday ---
* #4 Florida at Tennessee
The team of Brad Nessler and Dick Vitale had the call. Florida trailed by as much as 27. Rocky Top was going to be rocking with 1:42 left as Tennessee led 79-69 over the strugg-a-leeng Gatas (Gators). It looks like Tennessee is only softening up Florida for Kentucky. I'm sure folks in Lexington don't need help from ANYONE from Knoxville. Kentucky's own Chris Lofton is looking to keep the pressure going for the Vols. We're not talking football, but the Vols were looking like a basketball version of the 1991 Tennessee Volunteers football team- Sugar Vols. Florida's asses got pounded in Knoxville. Now Florida has to make ready for Kentucky. Can Florida get it together? Can Kentucky save their NCAA tourney hopes? I predicted a Volunteer upset, and it came true. Volunteers sweet as sugar against Florida's Gators. (86-76; TENNESSEE) *upset!*

*** SIDE NOTE ***
What's up with Florida? How would they do in March Madness? How far would they go? Is Florida overrated... or done... or both?

Time for a modified RAPID FIRE segment. No women's scores, unfortunately. You'll know who won by the headline.

--- Richmond, KY's EKU Devastates Morehead, KY's Morehead State ---
* Morehead State at Eastern Kentucky (63-45; EASTERN KENTUCKY)

--- MoTown Motored Down in Youngstown ---
* Detroit at Youngstown State (82-80; YOUNGSTOWN STATE)

--- Michigan Has a Good Basketball Team? ---
* Michigan State at Michigan (67-56; MICHIGAN)

--- VMI Does Something Rare- Win ---
* VMI at Liberty (79-78; Virginia Military Institute)

--- Backyard Beatdown ---
* West Virginia at #12 Pittsburgh (RIVALRY GAME: Backyard Brawl) (80-66; #12 PITTSBURGH)

--- Asheville Resonates in Happiness as Conway, SC Sings the Blues ---
* North Carolina-Asheville at Coastal Carolina (77-64; North Carolina-Asheville)

--- Austin Peay State University Blasts Past Tennessee State in Overtime ---
* Tennessee State at Austin Peay State (89-84, OT; AUSTIN PEAY STATE)

--- Nation's Longest (Men's) Home Winning Streak Snapped ---
* Brigham Young at #25 Air Force (62-58; Brigham Young) *upset!*

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Nevada is 26-2 overall heading into Tuesday?

More scores at the link below. Get your women's scores in the following link:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-27&c=all&refresh=0 (Men)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-27&c=all&refresh=0 (Women)

Wednesday scores are coming your way soon including (maybe) results of early Division 3 tournament scores in the postseason thread.

I predicted 20 wins in the regular season for Kentucky and they did it. Bobby Perry came out on senior night and decided that he woudl be a big senior and take the lead in a Wildcat win. Unfortunately alcohol has a sedative effect and I fell asleep.

In a press conference earlier this week Tubby addressed his critics (about time) and said that he didn't need to defend his record as most schools would love to have his record. He feels that his career is secure. I imagine that he does considering that he signed a 10 year contract a few years back and Kentucky would be hesitant to buy out something like 7 years to get rid of Tubby.

I'll just do RAPID FIRE to end February.

RAPID FIRE, MEN'S SCORES ONLY
* #6 Texas A&M at #15 Texas (RIVALRY GAME: Lone Star Showdown) (98-96, 2OT; TEXAS) *upset!*
* #24 Maryland at #14 Duke (RIVALRY GAME) (85-77; Maryland) *upset!*

* Seton Hall at Cincinatti (70-67, OT; CINCINATTI)
* Providence at South Florida (77-72; Providence)
* Villanova at Connecticut (78-74; Villanova)
* Georgia at Kentucky (82-70; KENTUCKY)

More scores here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/scoreboard?d=2007-02-28&c=all&refresh=0 (Men, including Conference Tournaments)
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/scoreboard?d=2007-02-28&c=all&refresh=0 (Women, including Conference Tournaments)

That is all. The final month of regular season hoops is forthcoming in the next thread.

Back