College Football 2007 - Week 8: Persevereance (Oct 14 - Oct 20)

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 32 comments
  • 1,971 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
Thank you for reading my threads. This is the eighth week of college football and entitled "Perseverance."

Introduction
Look up "perseverance" in the dictionary. The general definition would state that it is about the ability to outlast an opposing force and show great endurance in picking up a victory. Those who persevere in the face od danger and in pressure situations are those more likely to win games than those who simply give in to pressure and fall apart. Some teams simply don't know what losing feels like, at least not this season. Perseverance is what allows teams to carry the winning character and show absolute bravery and determination. Those who persevere will be winners, even if the game's final score isn't in that team's favor.


Last Week

* The Shot Heard 'Round America
4th and 2... Kentucky makes a defensive stand... and the Wildcats have stunned the #1 team in the nation! Robert Smith of "College Football Live" on the ESPN networks say that this upset isn't like Michigan and Appalachian State. I agree. This was a stunning upset, but nowhere near the magnitude of that dark day in Ann Arbor. Andre' Woodson and his boys got it done in a pressure situation against a hardened LSU squad.

* Basketball Powers Emerging
This is a weird season. I know I've made knocks about basketball schools in college football, but as long as a basketball power can excel on the gridiron, I still got plenty of love if you can still win. Kentucky's one of the best in hoops, and their win over a tough LSU team proved that football teams of basketball powers can be just as dominant as their hardwood counterparts. Biggest surprise is Kansas. That's right. Pathetic no more. So not only is Kentucky emerging, now Kansas is emerging. The Jayhawks now have something to be proud of besides action at Allen Fieldhouse. Connecticut lost a close one at Virginia. It's a screwy season, but some of these basketball schools are really getting it done.

* Sunshine State Sees South Florida as a True Power
South Florida is no basketball power (they stink in men's hoops. Worst in Big East basketball behind maybe DePaul). Mark May of ESPN had South Florida as #1 over Ohio State. What's the best team in the state of Florida this season? People from Tampa will say South Florida. Most others will range between Florida and Florida State. Let's think about the ones who are sold on South Florida. The Bulls only been in the business for about 11 years. In my view, South Florida is turning out to be the football version of the 2005 George Mason Patriots in respects of a young team getting it done.

* The Biggest Loser- California
I would never say California's overrated. I'm still puzzled about why California didn't call a timeout as they got the field goal team out. It was a breakdown that ended up on California basically upsetting themselves. It was a bonehead way to lose a game.



BCS Standings (First Time All Season)
visit this link for the all polls: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/polls;_ylt=AoT0xDsjlaoluFRtRMEzawwcvrYF

01- Ohio State
02 - South Florida
03 - Boston College
04 - Oklahoma
05 - Louisiana State[COLOR]
06 - South Carolina
07 - Kentucky
08 - Arizona State
09 - West Virginia
10 - Oregon

11 - Virginia Tech
12 - California
13 - Kansas
14 - Southern California
15 - Florida
16 - Missouri
17 - Auburn
18 - Hawaii/Hawai'i
19 - Virginia
20 - Georgia
21 - Tennessee
22 - Texas
23 - Cincinnatti
24 - Texas Tech
25 - Michigan



I have some games to share with you. Perhaps I could be of entertainment for you all.





--- Division 1: Bowl Subdivision Scores ---

The Wild, Wild, WAC Makes Ready for a True Shootout
* Nevada {Wolfpack} at Boise State {Broncos}
This game was an offensive shootout with plenty of live rounds being fired in this one. But in the end, the Boise State Broncos won by 2 in a "defense is overrated" game against the Nevada Wolfpack. (69-67, 4OT; BOISE STATE)





(no FCS games reported - action on Thursday and Saturday)





--- Division 2 Scores ---
Lexington, Kentucky is still hung over from partying over their upset of LSU. So let's go north of Lexington to Frankfort for this Division 2 match. We go from a team who picked up a big win to a team simply looking for another win.

NOTE: I was going to show you who won the game between the Tigers of Benedict College playing at the Thorobreds of Kentucky State University. Unfortunately, there was no report of who won at the time I checked my sources. I will update this score when I'm able to see some results. I am sorry.





(no Division 3 games reported - action begins this Friday)





--- NFL Focus ---

Jacksonville Looks to Bring Down the Texans
* Houston Texans at Jacksonville Jaguars
After a while, I stopped watching this game since some terrible officiating was made as the Texans suffered their biggest loss of the season. I was personally upset when Jacksonville kept pounding the ball at the Texans. The interception Houston challenged ended up going into Jacksonville's favor. Then as I heard some radio coverage of the game on 610 AM in Houston, they scored another touchdown. Houston failed to get it into the endzone. That is, until they got a consolation touchdown plus a 2-point conversion. Afterwards, I didn't care much for this game. I didn't like the tactics. I didn't like the officiating. I didn't like Houston being treated like a voodoo doll by Jacksonville, but I admit those were effective. I just wished things could have gone better our way. I'm a Texans fan, but this was terrible. Damn it to Hell. Texans can't wait for December 30th when they hope to beat them SO bad when the game is at Reliant Stadium. (37-17; JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS)

Duel in Dallas as Two 5-0 Teams Clash
* New England Patriots at Dallas Cowboys
So let's see if another Texas team doesn't get shafted. It's Brady vs. Romo. The Patriots remained perfect on the year. So that means that BOTH of Texas' NFL teams lost this week. The Cowboys had answers, but couldn't top the boys from the Boston area. (48-27; New England Patriots)

St. Louis Seeks First Win as They Travel to Baltimore
* St. Louis Rams at Baltimore Ravens
The St. Louis Rams are 0-5 as they meet Baltimore at M&T Bank Stadium. St. Louis failed to find the endzone as Baltimore blew out St. Louis like it was child's play. (22-3; BALTIMORE RAVENS)

Tennessee is Ready to Slap Around Tampa Bay Some
* Tennessee Titans at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee were slapping them around, but Tampa Bay's Buccaneers got the last laugh. And you know what they say about the one who laughs last... (13-10; TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS)

The Winless Bowl... One Will Finally Win
* New Orleans Saints at Seattle Seahawks
Both teams have fallen pretty far, but the New Orleans Saints leave the Pacific Northwest as they took out Seattle's Seahawks. (28-17; New Orleans Saints)

Brett Favre Gets Another Record... One I'm Sure He'd Love NOT to Get
* Washington Redskins at Green Bay Packers
Brett Favre was picked twice and broke the all-time record for most times picked off in a career. His Packers still got the win over the Redskins. (17-14; GREEN BAY PACKERS)



Monday Night Match: New York Giants at Atlanta Falcons





No extras today. Action will resume this Wednesday. Feel free to use this thread to talk about last week or what you're expecting this week. Welcome to a new week.

FUTURE NOTE: I have to attend my brother's wedding on the week of November 17th. I may be unable to share scores from that Saturday. Or what I may do is just briefly touch up on games played that day in all four divisions of NCAA football.
 
Thank god Michigan is finally ranked.
 
Kentucky ranked by the BCS......who'd of thunk it?
 
Michigan and Kentucky have done quite well. Michigan's coming back strong while Kentucky has had only one blemish so far (at South Carolina). I asked you about who is more likely to be beaten by Kentucky, and you said definitely- Florida. So with this win, I want to ask you... are you SURE that Florida can still be beaten by the Wildcats?





In the meanwhile, here are some more polls:

AP Polls for FCS
01 - Appalachian State
02 - Massachusetts
03 - Montana
04 - Youngstown State
05 - North Dakota State

06 - New Hampshire
07 - Southern Illinois
08 - Illinois State
09 - James Madison
10 - Montana State

11 - Hampton
12 - Furman
13 - Tennessee-Martin
14 - Coastal Carolina
15 - Eastern Illinois
16 - California Polytechnical
17 - Northern Iowa
18 - Princeton
19 - Portland State
20 - San Diego
21 - McNeese State
22 - South Dakota State
23 - Wofford
24 - Central Arkansas
25 - Yale

John's FCS Comments
I didn't know that Yale was such a good team. I usually consider Pennsylvania as the best in Ivy League football (and even basketball), but Yale looks to be quite a good team in FCS. None of the Top 25 are unbeaten. The team with the most losses in this poll is Montana State at 8-5. Appalachian State has the most wins with 14. Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Southern Illinois, James Madison, Hampton, Furman, Coastal Carolina, Northern Iowa, and San Diego all have very good programs in my view.



AFCA Division 2 Polls
You can view it here: http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/polls/polls/divii-afca (as of October 9)

John's Division 2 Comments
Grand Valley State will try to break the win streak record in their next game. Grand Valley State is just too good. North Dakota got shocked by another good team- Nebraska-Omaha. Catawba are some hard-nosed footballers celebrating 100 years of football at Catawba College. And I'm CERTAINLY proud of all my home state's Division 2 schools. Among the top 25 schools, here are the best Texas schools according to this poll: #10 West Texas A&M, #13 Tarleton State, #14 Abeline Christian, and #16 Midwestern State. The other two popular Texas Div. 2 schools are Texas A&M-Commerce and Texas A&M-Kingsville.



AFCA Division 3 Polls
You can view it here: http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/polls/polls/diviii-afca (as of October 9)

John's Division 3 Comments
Mount Union College is amazing. The Purple Raiders do nothing but win. They may well upgrade the facilities to this Ohio school and play in Division 2 to challenge Michgan's Grand Valley State. I know of only two Division 3 Texas football schools- Sul Ross State and #2 Mary-Hardin Baylor. The #4 Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks are an impressive team from what I've seen and heard. Occidental College (Los Angeles, CA) has a great program as does San Antonio's Trinity University (talking about the TX school because there are other Trinity schools). I best know Rensselaer Polytechnical University for their Formula SAE history, but the Engineers have a good football team as well. The only other great team in Division 3 are the Polar Bears of Ohio Northern.



Now it's time for a special look at some other schools.

NAIA Football Rankings
01 - Sioux Falls!
02 - Caroll! (Montana)
03 - Ohio Dominican!
04 - Bethel (Tennessee)
05 - St. Francis (IN)
06 - St. Xavier
07 - Lindenwood <<< alma mater of CSTV's Greg Amsinger
08 - Jamestown College!
09 - Northwestern (Iowa)
10 - MidAmerica Nazarene

11 - Virginia-Wise
12 - Bethel! (Kansas)
13 - Graceland
14 - Missouri State-Northern
15 - St. Ambrose
16 - Malone
17 - Friends
18 - Missouri Valley
19 - Urbana
20 - Morningside
21 - Montana-Western
22 - Cumberlands (Kentucky)
23 - Nebraska Wesleyan <<< home of the Prairie Wolves
24 - Shorter
25 - McKendree

! = unbeaten

John's NAIA Comments
My knowledge of NAIA is extremely poor. I was probably expecting Georgetown College in Kentucky to be in the Top 25. Maybe they are having a rough season. I don't know.



NJCAA (National Junior College Athletics Association) Polls
(as of October 9, 2007)

01 - Snow College! (Ephraim, UT)
02 - Butler Community College! (El Dorado, KS)
03 - Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College! (Perkinson, MS)
04 - Eastern Arizona College! (Thatcher, AZ)
05 - Jones County Junior College! (Ellisville, MS)

06 - Pearl River Community College (Poplarville, MS)
07 - Kilgore College (Kilgore, TX)
08 - Blinn College (Brenham, TX) <<< I believe I've heard of them before
09 - Rochester Community and Technical College (Rochester, MN)
10 - Glendale Community College (Glendale, AZ)

11 - Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, GA) <<< also home to (non-football) Georgia College and State University
12 - Cisco Junior College (Cisco, TX)
13 - Fort Scott Community College! (Fort Scott, KS) <<< one of their wins was by forfeit
14 - Iowa Central Community College (Fort Dodge, IA)
15 - Mesa Community College (Mesa, AZ)
16 - Northwest Mississippi Community College (Senatobia, MS)
17 (tie) - North Iowa Area Community College (Mason City, IA); Garden City Community College (Garden City, KS); and Itawamba Community College (Fulton, MS)
20 (tie) - Nassau Community College (Garden City, NY); and Navarro College (Corsicana, TX)

John's NJCAA Comments
I don't know these schools. Just wanted to soil you all in college football greatness! You like? ^_^





If They Played Today: #13 Kansas vs. #7 Kentucky
Kansas has been pathetic in the past. Easy pickin's. So has Kentucky. But both teams have been reinvigorated and are putting some hurt on plenty of teams. Let's say that Kansas and Kentucky met for a game of pigskin either in Lawrence or Lexington. The most recent men's basketball meeting ended up in an ugly loss for Kentucky. If it were to me, I'd have to say that Kentucky's team would win by two touchdowns at least. Either Kansas tries to make a game of it, or Kentucky comes back to win. Predicted Score: 35-21; Kentucky


If They Played Today: #1 Ohio State vs. #2 South Florida
Imagine this as a National Championship battle. I call South Florida as the football version of the 2006 George Mason Patriots. Imagine a battle of South Florida at Ohio State. This game could be as interesting as the Texas at Ohio State game in 2005 in Texas' magical season. Something still tells me that South Florida isn't going to run the table the rest of the way. If the National Championship came down to these two, I think Ohio State would win, but only barely. This could be an overtime game on top of that. PREDICTED SCORE: 38-31; Ohio State





Hope you all have a great day. Thanks for reading and visiting.
 
Michigan and Kentucky have done quite well. Michigan's coming back strong while Kentucky has had only one blemish so far (at South Carolina). I asked you about who is more likely to be beaten by Kentucky, and you said definitely- Florida. So with this win, I want to ask you... are you SURE that Florida can still be beaten by the Wildcats?
Now, wouldn't it be foolish of me to say that Kentucky can't win any game at this point? We beat the undisputed #1 team in the country. By all rights it means that Kentucky, on any given Saturday, can beat any team out there. The question no longer is can Kentucky do it, but is it their Saturday? Florida can come on up here to Big Blue Country, but they better not expect to walk away with a win.

At this point I say Kentucky can win every game ahead of them.
 
I hope your Wildcats can have as amazing of a season as they like. FoolKiller, I'm going to give you a chance to evaluate on how the Wildcats are doing. Is there something they can still improve upon? Have they exceeded your expectations? Tell me as much as you like about how the 2007 Kentucky Wildcats are performing this season heading into their Florida match.

Now let me turn things over to Joey D. How do you think Michigan is doing this season since turning it all around? How do you think Michigan is doing since losing to Appalachian State and Oregon? Can they win out? What's your evaluation of Michigan at this point?

Since no games are playing for tonight or today, I'd just give you all a chance to brag about your favorite team and why they are so great. So have at it. And as a side note, if you'd like to keep up with the Lakers of Division 2's Grand Valley State University, check out their football link here: http://gvsulakers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/grva-m-footbl-body.html

I'll have football for you tomorrow night. So see you then!
 
Now let me turn things over to Joey D. How do you think Michigan is doing this season since turning it all around? How do you think Michigan is doing since losing to Appalachian State and Oregon? Can they win out? What's your evaluation of Michigan at this point?

They will not win the overall BCS championship, nor will they beat Ohio State at the end of the season. Other then that I think they will win the res of the games. I'm liking how the season is turning around although I haven't been able to watch the games as they are on the Big Ten Network so I can't comment on how they are playing.

My guess is they will make a Rose Bowl appearance while Ohio State goes back to the BCS Championship game.
 
I hope your Wildcats can have as amazing of a season as they like. FoolKiller, I'm going to give you a chance to evaluate on how the Wildcats are doing. Is there something they can still improve upon? Have they exceeded your expectations? Tell me as much as you like about how the 2007 Kentucky Wildcats are performing this season heading into their Florida match.
Well, I have no doubt in my mind at this point that Kentucky could win out the rest of the season, but I doubt that it will happen. It is possible for us to beat pretty much anyone this year.

Funny thing is that a friend of mine is such a Louisville fan that he can't accept Kentucky could turn around better than Louisville did. Today he told me there is no way Kentucky can beat Florida and when I asked why all he could say is Florida is too good. I asked him if he though LSU was too good and he said yes, and then downplayed it because it was a triple overtime win. When I followed up with the fact that LSU beat Florida so reasoning would say Kentucky can beat Florida in regulation he backed up to his old, "No, Florida is just too good." :rolleyes:

We aren't winning any championship this year, but I think we could easily see a BCS bowl. We still have a long road ahead and anything can happen at this point. Our team is stepping up and has become a solid force to reckon with in the SEC. They definitely exceeded my expectations. I expected two losses by this point, maybe three. I never once expected to see them ranked.

This is the best team Kentucky football has had in my lifetime, and anyone under 50 will say the same thing.
 
This Year, NDSU is 6-0 so far. It will be sweet victory if NDSU wins against U of Minnesota, as I will be sitting in the Minnesota section of the Metrodome with my friend (A U of M student) Clad in green and yellow and cheering NDSU. Minnesota's admissions office put me through hell. I am beyond Irate with the way that they treat applicants. Thus, a NDSU victory will be closure for me, as the U apparently wasn't satisfied with their first decision they made on my application. (It only took them six months to screw me around, say no, and change their minds two weeks later)

The Bison just better not get screwed like they were last year.

Stupid Gophers..
 
A little non-related question to you now, High-Test... with the University of North Dakota trying to break into FCS (as well as the University of South Dakota), do you think these matches will be fun to watch in FCS, and do you think North Dakota can stun some teams when they get into FCS in a few years?

I'll tell you this. Depending upon how (assuming they win) N.D. State beats Minnesota, I may be torn between a BIG WIN and a DISAPPOINTING LOSS. Minnesota was once a potent team like Iowa was in the Big Ten. Now, the Golden Gophers (the only Division 1 school in Minnesota) are crap. And if they lose this game, Minnesota may well just change around the coaching staff and find people who want to play and play hard.


You all are free to brag about your favorite team, or even ask me some questions. I may have some answers for you. I'll even preview the Southern California and Notre Dame game. Still thinking about which game I'll call my GAME OF THE WEEK. Well, take care, everyone!
 
Still thinking about which game I'll call my GAME OF THE WEEK. Well, take care, everyone!
Just go ahead and take a cue from CBS.
 
There are no games on the lineup card tonight. So let me just use this time to discuss some of the different news and notes.





* Kentucky Fined 50K for Storming the Field
You beat the #1 team in the nation in triple overtime. You (and your 50 best friends) go out and storm the field to celebrate with your team's players. An aspect of why I love college sports a bit more than professional teams is that the players are so connected to the school. There's a broader connection with college sports than in pro sports. Unfortunately for the Wildcat fans, the school was fined about $50,000. You don't want to be fined like this, but it's understandable about the emotion of beating the #1 team in the land. The Lexington boys will still need to pay up.

* Some Funny Comments About Texas Tech and Nebraska
Nebraska's been off their rocker. Now they've fallen to the level of this year's Iowa State. Someone on ESPN's "College Football Live" made comments ranging from if this year's game will be shown on Comedy Central... all the way to "it should be called the Buy-Out Bowl." Maybe this isn't a very good (or at least interesting) match.



EXTRA: What Non-BCS Conference Would be Great as a BCS Conference?
Teams in BCS conferences are among some of the many who get to play in BCS bowl games. Here are your non-BCS conferences:

* Conference USA
* Mid-American Conference (MAC)
* Mountain West Conference
* Sun Belt
* Western Athletic Conference

Think about this in a college basketball perspective. People talk about how (and I agree) that the Missouri Valley Conference in basketball a power conference. The schools may be small, but they know how to play basketball. On the football side, the non-BCS conference that usually gets the most love has been the MAC conference. It's been known as the "Cradle of Coaches" and has given us quarterbacks like Byron Leftwich (Marshall) and Ben Roethlisberger (Miami University). What would make a great BCS conference if the schools had the money and the marketing? Allow me to be 50% biased. Conference USA is the conference to which the Univerity of Houston and Rice University belong to. When Louisville, Cincinnatti, and South Florida all jumpshifted to the Big East, what conference were they all a part of? Conference USA. Most of the really good teams are either along the Gulf Coast, American Southwest, Midwest, or the West Coast. Know who this leaves out? You bet- the Rocky Mountains. Would the Mountain West be a good proponent for a BCS conference? Likely not. Especially not with struggling teams like UNLV and Colorado State (rumor had it that Houston could join the Mountain West. Don't see how possible THAT is considering flat Houston). Boise State beat Oklahoma back in January last season. Could they beat any other BCS teams? Could they beat a Michigan or an Ohio State? What about Hawaii? The WAC is a great conference, but I don't know if a Boise State or anybody can be a team to consistently be among the nation's best teams. It isn't likely any of these conferences (especially NOT the Sun Belt) will be BCS-worthy. The teams will need to be powerhouses for a long time. I think some C-USA people are trying to work to make Conference USA into a BCS conference (I'd love to see Houston have a magical season like they did last season). But if it were up to me, it could come down to the MAC or C-USA. Not really a great season for non-BCS schools unless you're from the WAC.




I'll have Wednesday night action whenever I'm able to complete my report. So I'll see you around until then.
 
* Kentucky Fined 50K for Storming the Field
You beat the #1 team in the nation in triple overtime. You (and your 50 best friends) go out and storm the field to celebrate with your team's players. An aspect of why I love college sports a bit more than professional teams is that the players are so connected to the school. There's a broader connection with college sports than in pro sports. Unfortunately for the Wildcat fans, the school was fined about $50,000. You don't want to be fined like this, but it's understandable about the emotion of beating the #1 team in the land. The Lexington boys will still need to pay up.
No one in the Kentucky administration has complained, even though this is our third fine in a year. The most I have heard from both the coach and AD is that they have no problem passing that along.

The thought is that for the first time in a long time Commonwealth has gotten to be unbearably loud for the opponents and no one wants to do anything to tell the fans to be less enthusiastic.
 
Okay people... I figured out that there is no game on tonight for all of tonight. So all of this week's action will be Thursday through Saturday. Please note that I don't count Sunday games as part of the week. For example, if there is a game next week held on a Sunday, and it's part of the current week's games, I will NOT cover that Sunday game until next week's thread. I will not count it as part of the current week of college football. Only exception for Sunday games is if it will be Sunday for Eastern or Central time while a game takes place around Midnight Eastern time. That's usually reserved for games played at Hawaii or really late games in Mountain and even Pacific times.


So I'll just pass the time and come up with a feature school.

John's Feature School: North Dakota State University (thanks: Wikipedia for facts)
GTPlanet's High-Test has been our "ambassador" for North Dakota State University. You don't hear much about the Dakotas. The university can be found in Fargo, North Dakota. It was established in 1890 and is a public, land grant university. Their motto is: "for the land, and its people." There are other NDSU campuses in downtown as well as various smaller campuses in agricultural experiment stations. There are over five libraries at NDSU with perhaps another one in the works. Their athletics programs joined Division 1 in 2004. One of the biggest wins for NDSU on the men's basketball front came as their upset of Wisconsin AT the Kohl Center. They won over six conference championships and eight national championships in Division 2. They recently been accepted to the football-exclusive Great West Football Conference and the Summit League (formerly the Mid-Continent Conference) for most other sports. Their women's basketball team won four-successive national championships between 1993 and 1996. You want famous alum? How about these (among many others):

* Bob Backlund (former WWE wrestler)
* Alf Clausen (composes for "The Simpsons" and other television and movie programs)
* David Bernauer (CEO of Walgreens)
* Douglas Burgum (senior vice president of Microsoft Business Solutions)

If NDSU has a motto of "For the land, and its people," and if Bison football is for the land and its people, then people will be widely impressed. I thought NDSU lost a game by now. But after checking their website ( http://www.gobison.com ), they're spot-free. They won 28-19 against Stephen F. Austin State, 41-38 over Sam Houston State, 44-14 at Central Michigan, 41-28 at Western Illinois, 35-16 over California-Davis (their first conference game), and 58-7 over Mississippi Valley State. Their next opponent will be at the struggling Minnesota Golden Gophers. Will the Bison go 7-0? I'll try to cover that game in my Saturday report. Oh yes, it will be on the Big Ten Network. It should be Channel 439 if you have Dish (at least for me). After Minnesota, their next three games will be Southern Utah, at Illinois State (should be a tough one), and at California Polytechnical. Their season ends on November 17th when they take on their rivals, the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State.

Apart from NDSU, when North Dakota and South Dakota join Division 1 in a few years, the Dakotas will be alive with rivalry action.




And that would be all from me. Maybe I'll talk some more nonsense later. Meanwhile, have a wonderful day.
 
Here's my little "teaser" preview:

* PREVIEW: For Real? Or Overrated?
#2 South Florida took out West Virginia earlier in the season. Now they'll head to New Jersey to meet last season's surprise Big East team. Rutgers is not only the State University of New Jersey, but also the birthplace of college football. See if Rutgers could pull the upset over #2 South Florida.

* PREVIEW: We're Not in Utah Anymore...
The Utes of Utah will head southeast to meet the Horned Frogs of Texas Christian University. The former National Champions will meet some potent boys from Salt Lake City, UT. Utah. Texas Christian. Let's get it on!



I also have some black college football action from FCS as well as some Division 2 action including Chadron State playing at Nebraska-Kearney. I'll see you in my next report!
 
So I'll just pass the time and come up with a feature school.

John's Feature School: North Dakota State University (thanks: Wikipedia for facts)
GTPlanet's High-Test has been our "ambassador" for North Dakota State University. You don't hear much about the Dakotas. The university can be found in Fargo, North Dakota. It was established in 1890 and is a public, land grant university. Their motto is: "for the land, and its people." There are other NDSU campuses in downtown as well as various smaller campuses in agricultural experiment stations. There are over five libraries at NDSU with perhaps another one in the works. Their athletics programs joined Division 1 in 2004. One of the biggest wins for NDSU on the men's basketball front came as their upset of Wisconsin AT the Kohl Center. They won over six conference championships and eight national championships in Division 2. They recently been accepted to the football-exclusive Great West Football Conference and the Summit League (formerly the Mid-Continent Conference) for most other sports. Their women's basketball team won four-successive national championships between 1993 and 1996. You want famous alum? How about these (among many others):

* Bob Backlund (former WWE wrestler)
* Alf Clausen (composes for "The Simpsons" and other television and movie programs)
* David Bernauer (CEO of Walgreens)
* Douglas Burgum (senior vice president of Microsoft Business Solutions)

If NDSU has a motto of "For the land, and its people," and if Bison football is for the land and its people, then people will be widely impressed. I thought NDSU lost a game by now. But after checking their website ( http://www.gobison.com ), they're spot-free. They won 28-19 against Stephen F. Austin State, 41-38 over Sam Houston State, 44-14 at Central Michigan, 41-28 at Western Illinois, 35-16 over California-Davis (their first conference game), and 58-7 over Mississippi Valley State. Their next opponent will be at the struggling Minnesota Golden Gophers. Will the Bison go 7-0? I'll try to cover that game in my Saturday report. Oh yes, it will be on the Big Ten Network. It should be Channel 439 if you have Dish (at least for me). After Minnesota, their next three games will be Southern Utah, at Illinois State (should be a tough one), and at California Polytechnical. Their season ends on November 17th when they take on their rivals, the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State.

Apart from NDSU, when North Dakota and South Dakota join Division 1 in a few years, the Dakotas will be alive with rivalry action.




And that would be all from me. Maybe I'll talk some more nonsense later. Meanwhile, have a wonderful day.


:D

Thundar, our mascot, has won national mascot competitions many years running. The guy who dons the Bison head is relatively unknown, and is a very reserved person out of costume. Lucky for us, he decided to pursue a professional degree, so he'll be around a few more years.

SDSU has been our rival for the longest time, but we got bumped up a few years ago, and then had to go to the Twin Cities for college rivalries. Minnesota doesn't really take us seriously though. Their abhorred institution is by far the university of Wisconsin. Maybe we'll wake them up on Saturday.

The Fargodome is a sea of Yellow every game (I don't like indoor arenas.. )
and finding a seat is nearly impossible.

Unfortunately, I've heard that Minnesota students wear golden yellow to their games. That means I can't wear the traditional NDSU yellow - required attire for home games. I guess I'll be wearing green and a Bison head hat. In the middle of a bunch of U of M students. :D

I'm hoping they right the crushing loss they had last year. (10-9)

In Steve we trust.

:dopey:
 
It's always great to get replies from people who actually read and participate in my threads. This is just my post that I quickly make while working on my Thursday report. I thank you for your participation, High-Test and others.

You all probably know what happened tonight in college football without me reporting on it. So just hang tight... she's almost done.
 
Joe Torre steps down as Yankees' manager. It's "who cares?" for football fans, even counting the pathetic season (with its bright spots) for my Astros. You came for football. But more importantly, you came for college football. So how about I feed your need with a few scores? Why don't we get this bad boy started?





--- Giant-Killer Home-Field Advantage ---
* #2 South Florida {Bulls} at Rutgers {Scarlet Knights}
Joe Torre is no longer the head cheese of the New York Yankees. That's not the only big story out of the New York City area. In fact, there's a big one in New Jersey- the birthplace of college football has a chance to stun #2 South Florida. South Florida hopes to defend their #2 ranking a lot better than California last week. In fact, the #2 team in the nation for the past two weeks have went down at the hands of unranked teams. Is 2 an unlucky number? Well, who honestly thought (then) #1 LSU was going to smash (then) #17 Kentucky like they were a junior varsity team? Part of the madness of college sports is parity. South Florida wants to show they can belong. It's the running of the South Florida Bulls! The boys from Tampa, FL are going to make plenty of noise when they get to New Jersey. Waiting for them is Rutgers. I need only mention Ray Rice for the New York City metropolitan team. They are known as the Scarlet Knights. And if they are a Rutgers version of the Knights of the Round Table, then Ray Rice is King Arthur. Rutgers will need to impale South Florida as hard as possible with their Excalibur. Will they get it? We'll see in this sixty-minute joust fest. Louisville knows South Florida's feelings of losing at Rutgers. Rutgers overrated South Florida in a close fight. Rutgers seems like the Land of Broken Dreams if you're ranked in the Top 10 (at least) and playing AT Rutgers. Big win for the Scarlet Knights. ESPN had a camera at the Sun Dome, where the South Florida Bulls play basketball. Just like their pathetic basketball team in the Big East, the fans could only do what they experienced when South Florida lost this game- feel saddened at losing. (30-27; RUTGERS) *** upset! ***

OFF-TOPIC
* Pay attention to next week's BCS rankings, especially to who will be #2 in the nation. Could it be possible that the next #2 go down in flames next week? * - Debate Question - Did South Florida just lose a tough game, or were they ranked too high and overrated?


It's a Fort Worth Showdown as TCU Hosts Utah
* Utah {Utes} at Texas Christian {Horned Frogs}
I'm from Texas. So it's not usually often I make a small report for one of my home state's schools. However, the Utah Utes made short work of the Horned Frogs. A touchdown decided this close one. (27-20; Utah)





--- Division 1: Championship Subdivision Scores ---
The only two FCS games involved historically-black universities. Come and get your soul food!

Whoever Said Florida State is the Only Hotspot in Tallahassee?
* Norfolk State {Spartans} at Florida A&M {Rattlers}
Usually not a powerhouse in black college football, Norfolk State still remains a middle-of-the-road team in the MEAC. The Spartans of Norfolk State got a close victory over the FAMU Rattlers. The Rattlers remain the only historically-black school to win the National Championship. (33-27; Norfolk State)

SWAC Action Ready to Go in Birmingham, Alabama
* Arkansas-Pine Bluff {Golden Lions} at Alabama A&M {Bulldogs}
Noticed a theme of close wins? Well, that ain't how this one ended. The state of Arkansas had to deal with some severe weather, including some tornadoes. So Arkansas-Pine Bluff (one of the cities impacted from recent severe weather) hope to bring disaster to Alabama A&M's win-loss record. However, the Bulldogs (no pun intended) blew away the Golden Lions back to Pine Bluff with a loss. (31-14; ALABAMA A&M)

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Norfolk State and Alabama A&M are 6-1 with their respective wins? Florida A&M is usually a good team, but they've struggled this season. Now they're 2-5 after losing to Norfolk State.





--- Division 2 Scores ---
We got two big matches involving as many as three top-5 teams. That's right. The leaders all go to work. You ready to join in on the fun?

--- Chadron State Looks to Make Magic in Nebraska ---
* #3 Chadron State {Eagles} at Nebraska-Kearney {Lopers}
You saw it only on CSTV. This Thursday night match was between a history-making Chadron State (because of Danny Woodhead's all-time, all-division record of rushing yards) and Nebraska-Kearney. I didn't see all of this match because I mostly saw #2 South Florida at Rutgers. The Eagles of Chadron State flew out of Kearney, NE; but not without a win over the Lopers. (28-16; #3 Chadron State)

--- Top 5 Teams Only, Please... ---
* #5 Delta State at #2 North Alabama (28-17; #2 NORTH ALABAMA)





(no Division 3 games reported)
Friday: Widener at FDU-Florham





* Something I'll start doing when no games are reported for a Division, I may post a few matches that are upcoming. * This year's National Championship game will be in the Big Easy on January 7th. New Orleans will be the home of this season's National Championship. Who's heading down Bourbon Street with a National Championship on the line? In the near future, I will work on my 2007 Bowl Season thread since some teams will see Bowl action. Thanks for reading my report. Take care!
 
PREVIEW: Louisville Looks Strong Heading into Hartford
* #1? Louisville {Cardinals} at Connecticut {Huskies}
There may not be football at Hartford University, but Hartford's premier university is ready for football action. Louisville knocked off Cincinatti last week. Connecticut returned home after their winning streak was over in a close match at Virginia. Will Connecticut lose two straight, or is Louisville be upset by the Huskies? Find out tonight!

PREVIEW: Northwestern Goes Northeast to Meet Eastern Michigan
* Northwestern {Wildcats} at Eastern Michigan {Eagles}
The Wildcats of Northwestern University has had one major blemish- a home loss to Duke. Can the Wildcats knock off the vanilla Eastern Michigan Eagles?



This and more in my next report. Friday night is good, but it's all about Saturday! I'll have the Friday report when it's done. And unlike 3D Realms with "Duke Nukem Forever," "when it's done" with my reports won't mean a decade from now. So take care!
 
Wait, there's football tonight? I thought everyone was taking off to get the GT5 Prologue demo.
 
Well... the GT5: Prologue deal... then college football! This is a 24/7 deal, and I'm trying to be as 24/7 about it as I could. If a game is played, I MUST try to report it. I do this for you all.

Now go back to downloading GT5: Prologue. ^_^
 
Now go back to downloading GT5: Prologue. ^_^
I still have 14 minutes left at work..........

I'm dying here. 14 minutes to GT5:P demo tonight and then Kentucky football tomorrow. AAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
 
The demo is out? Well I guess I better go hook the PS3 up.
 
You have a PS3. Enjoying (hopefully) "Gran Turismo 5: Prologue." You decide to come to the Football forms to see just what the heck I'm ramling about. Prepare to see what I'm rambling about. We got football both in the Midwest and in New England. This, as well as Division 2 and Division 3. No FCS action tonight. So let's get it!





--- Division 1: Bowl Subdivision Scores ---
We begin with Louisville taking a field trip to Hartford, Connecticut to play with some Huskies.

Men's Basketball National Champions Collide
* #1? Louisville {Cardinals} at Connecticut {Huskies}
I'll admit. I don't know very much about the state of Connecticut. I do know there are a number of schools with and without football. Connecticut's been in FBS for 5 to 10 years. Louisville's been around much longer. Both of these two schools have won at least one National Championship in men's basketball. Don't forget about Connecticut's 2004 campaign in basketball whereas it won both the men's and women's national championships in the same season. But this ain't basketball. Y'all know what this is. It's football. It's college football. Let's meet the teams. They are nicknamed "The 'Ville." The University of Louisville has long been a basketball power until their football team exploded onto the scene. Their hated foes from Lexington will watch to see if Louisville makes fools of themselves. Don't be a fool, especially not when fooling around with the Cardinals. Now the other team. The University of Connecticut is usually a basketball powerhouse. Their football has been... okay. What am I talking about? They lost only one game at this point, and that was last week at Virginia. UConn wants to slap Louisville around at their house. Connecticut has a great fight song. These Huskies rule the city of Hartford, CT. This, even if Hartford University still had football and playing in FBS. Let's see who got it done tonight. Cold temperatures and rain expected for this game. That's football weather. The slick conditions led to a low-scoring game at Halftime as both teams were tied at 7. Offense came to life a bit later as Louisville were pounding away to a 17-7 result in favor of the Cards. Connecticut must think Jim Calhoun or Geno Auriemma was coaching the football team because they inched closer towards taking the lead. And inside of two minutes left, Connecticut took the lead. So it's 21-17 in favor of UConn. The Cardinals need to get a touchdown because three points won't do any good. The City of Louisville is watching their hometown team win the game. Louisville were hitting some of their good passes. Until Brian Brohm completes a long pass... to a team wearing blue! And I'm not talking Kentucky, but another basketball power- Connecticut. The Huskies should be patted on the head and fed some delicious doggie treats because the Huskies were good little doggies against the Louisville Cardinals. Have to fly back to Louisville with a loss. (21-17; CONNECTICUT) *** big win ***


--- MoTown Ready for a Throwdown ---
* Northwestern {Wildcats} vs. Eastern Michigan {Eagles} (at: Ford Field - Detroit, Michigan)
I figured I'll give Joey D some Detroit love. Let's talk Detroit. I'm not sure if Detroit wants their stadium back for Lions football (if they play at home this weekend). Ann Arbor has college football; the city of Detroit doesn't. The University of Detroit-Mercy College doesn't have any college football. So we have ourselves the Motor City Clash involving amazing Ford Field. This game was on ESPNU as MoTown was ready for college football.
Only fans in the seats are the few people who actually recognize Eastern Michigan's prescence as well as Northwestern's fans. Think of it like a football version of one of the Florida Marlins games in which about 375 people packed Dolphin Stadium. In the end, the school that lost at home to Duke earlier in the year beat down the inferior Eastern Michigan Eagles. (26-14; Northwestern)



EXTRA: College Experience in Religious Institutions
I've never been inside a religious institution. We have about two religious-type schools here in Houston. We have Houston Baptist University and the University of St. Thomas.

Certain schools describe the religious experience for the denominations they are affiliated with. Take a look at these links:
* http://www.bc.edu/offices/mission/publications/guide/process.html (Boston College - Jesuit)
* http://www.providence.edu/About+PC/Dominican+Identity.htm (Providence College - Dominican Friars)

I really wished I could have provided more links for you to discuss certain religious denominations represented at schools. Enjoy this for now.






(no FCS games reported - continues Saturday)





(no Division 2 games reported)






--- Division 3 Scores ---
* Widener at FDU-Florham (23-3; Widener)





It's been tough to decide on a GAME OF THE WEEK. So I think I'll note Florida at Kentucky to be the big match this week. This is just to show the superiority of the SEC. I do live in a Big XII state, but I highly respect the gritty action of the SEC. The SEC IS college sports. And think about it like this. Some say that Kentucky won't win the SEC East because Tennessee is in control. Kentucky will have my full respect if they could knock off LSU last week and Florida this week. No matter which way the pendelum swings, Kentucky's doing great.

Other Games:

* Michigan will meet Illinois after the Fighting Illini lost at Iowa. I'm guessing this will be on the Big Ten Network (to the displeasure of Joey D). And since losing at home to Appalachian State and Oregon, Michigan hasn't lost a game since these two defeats.

* Per the request of High-Test, I'll try to follow North Dakota State University as they'll head east to Minneapolis, MN. Minnesota's just trying to take every win they can get so they can ring in their new on-campus(?) stadium two years from now.



See you all with the Saturday report!
 
They are broadcasting the U of M v. Illinois game on ABC tonight so I can actually watch it, they actually just announced that last night too. I'm going to guess Michigan will win by 10 with a final of 27-17.

The laughable game this weekend will be how bad Michigan State gets beat by Ohio State.
 
Well, the game today was great. My friend Lesley and I sat in the U of M student section and there were a bunch o drunk NDSU guys behind us. They were beyond obnoxious. Every other word they yelled out was *****t. And, Every sentence he uttered seemed to go straight into our ears. I was beyond irate. Lesley and I got beer spilled on us three times each.

But, I got to meet a bunch of cool university of minnesota students, and the game was great. We left at the beginning of the fourth quarter to go to a local burger joint.

The Score?

NDSU 27, U of M 21
 
Like I said Michigan State was going to get owned...but the ownage should have been greater.
 
They are broadcasting the U of M v. Illinois game on ABC tonight so I can actually watch it, they actually just announced that last night too. I'm going to guess Michigan will win by 10 with a final of 27-17.

The laughable game this weekend will be how bad Michigan State gets beat by Ohio State.

I can't believe I was actually right...oh wait yes I can I'm just that good :sly:.

Anyway Chad Henne is starting to piss me off, if you are injured enough to leave the game you shouldn't be ready to go a few plays later. I understand injuries happen but come on Hart was out tonight so why in God's name would you quit playing? I mean Henne was out there to lead the team tonight. Oh well they won and that'd good enough for me.
 
This is where I offer some quick feedback until my final report is ready for release.


Congratulations to your Wolverines, Joey D. Great stuff. Great to see Michigan in winning form even if they had two losses to start off the season.

High-Test, I know you had to be loving life as this game was on the Big Ten Network. Minnesota is turning out to be the Duke of Big Ten football. Good job to your Bison as they continue spotless.

I'll have full commentary including an amazing, gutsy, game-winning call by one home team. This and more when my full report is complete.
 
Back