College Football : 2013-14

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 521 comments

Nicksfix

OSU Buckeyes baby !!!
Premium
United States
Buckeye Nation
It seems like we just played the National Championship Game, yet here we are again at the beginning of a new season of College Football. Team practices have started, the spring games are just around the corner, teams are getting ready for what should be a great '13-'14 season of College Football.

Just a few questions to get rolling here.

Who do you like this year ?
Any odds on favorites to win it all ?
Who will or can be the Cinderella team this year ?
Who will struggle ?
Any Pre-season Heisman picks ?

My O.S.U. Buckeyes started practice this evening in preparation for the 2013 Scarlett and Gray Game. I am really looking forward to this season for the Bucks. Honestly speaking (not being partial), but I think the Bucks have a legitimate shot at it all this year. Following up a 12-0 season is going to be a task at hand, but I think there is enough manpower on this team to overcome any doubts as to what they can achieve in this years upcoming season. I do think that O.S.U. can realistically repeat as an undefeated team again. This year O.S.U. should be a B1G division playoff contender and also being bowl eligible could mark a 14-0 season, thus making Urban Meyer 26-0 in his first 2 years as an O.S.U. coach. Quite a feat, if it so transpires.

The Bucks biggest question will come in the defense. Only 4 returning starters will return to this lineup, but it is deep and talented. The biggest loss / hard shoes to fill will be the loss of defensive end John Simon (B1G defensive player of the year). The spot, likely to be filled by Joey Bosa (four-star recruit), he should get the chance in the fall. The linebacker spot will see a new face playing along side of Ryan Shazier (watch out for this guy this year). Not quite sure who will fill this vacancy along side of Shazier as of yet.

Offensively, we will see a possible Heisman contender in the name of QB - Braxton Miller. Miller will be explosive to watch this year. Last year was a bit of a learning curve for him and you could see it as he progressed throughout the season. This year, with all of that behind him, he should be the real deal. Coming out of the backfield will once again be Carlos Hyde. Not the fastest player, not the pile up the yardage player, but he is however the give the ball to him and give us a 1st down player. Occasionally he will bust one off for the big gainer, but look more for him to do it the old style B1G way .... 5 yards and a pile of dirt. Along side of Hyde will / should be hometown boy - Brionte Dunne. Great to see he made it 👍. Get 'em Bri'

Here is our '13 schedule :

04/13/13 - Scarlett and Gray game
(does not apply towards anything ... traditional intersquad tune up game)

08/31/13 - H - Buffalo Bulls
09/07/13 - H - San Diego State Aztecs
09/14/13 - A - Cal Golden Bears
09/21/13 - H - Florida A&M Rattlers
09/28/13 - H - Wisconsin Badgers
10/05/13 - A - Northwestern Wildcats
10/19/13 - H - Iowa Hawkeyes
10/26/13 - H - Penn State Nittany Lions
11/02/13 - A - Purdue Boilermakers
11/16/13 - A - Illinois Fighting Illini
11/23/13 - H - Indiana Hoosiers
11/30/13 - A - Michigan Wolverines

Well guys ... good luck to all of you. I do wish you and your team the best in this upcoming year of College Football 2013. Let's get ready to rumble. :lol:

WHO'S WHO IN THE GTP COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD​

Nicksfix - Ohio State Buckeyes
JohnBM01 - Houston Cougars
Blitz24 - Rutgers Scarlet Knights
dcgc5 - South Carolina Gamecocks
CAM - East Carolina Pirates
Joey D - Michigan Wolverines
Justin - Minnesota Golden Gophers
tbwhhs - Tennessee Volunteers
Sanji Himura - TCU
Omnis - Florida Atlantic
DEATHSINBUNCHES (MIA) - West Virginia Mountaineers
Degen Thought - Ohio State Buckeyes
Jahgee1124 - USC Trojans
Crash - Washington Huskies
High-Test - Kansas Jayhawks
hawkeye 122 - Stanford Cardinals
nielsenman2 - Alabama Crimson Tide

Last edited:
My team hasn't released its' full schedule yet :grumpy:.

Oh well, here's what I know

4/27/13 - Scarlet and White Game

8/29/13 - @ Fresno State
9/7/13 - vs. Norfolk State
9/14/13 - vs. Eastern Michigan State
9/21/13 - vs. Arkansas
9/28/13 - TBA
10/5/13 - TBA
10/12/13 - TBA
10/19/13 - TBA
10/26/13 - TBA
11/2/13 - TBA
11/9/13 - TBA
11/16/13 - TBA
11/23/13 - TBA
11/30/13 - @ Connecticut
12/7/13 - TBA

Home games will be against Cincinnati, Houston, USF and Temple
Road Games will be against SMU, UCF, and Louisville.

Everything is up in the air but I will be surprised if this team is ranked anything higher than 23rd at any point this up coming season.

Everything is up in the air but I will be surprised if this team is ranked anything higher than 23rd at any point this up coming season.

I wish you well in your final season as a Big East team. Hopefully you you can leave a mark on that division before joining the B1G. 👍

I was glancing at O.S.U.'s '14 schedule .... we don't have a date. :lol: I'm sure we'll meet up sometime in the future though.

'13 will bring a new look for the Oregon Beavers. I'm not sold on the Orange look, but the White and the Black look pretty sweet. Oregon's new look.

Buck notes time. :P

What did Urban Meyer think of the 1st team practice ? Video and article

The Buckeyes go back to work after their undefeated campaign. Video and article

Well, I have officially denounced my being a fan of Minnesota after some questionable administrative decisions(not just football related) as well of my not liking the direction Jerry Kill is taking the team. Not sure who I am going to cheer for in '13 yet, but leaning towards Oregon State or Houston.

Did I miss something in the B1G ?
What's happening up there in the North Star State and the Golden Gophers ?

Did I miss something in the B1G ?
What's happening up there in the North Star State and the Golden Gophers ?

It started with them paying $800,000 to avoid North Carolina and it was recently revealed that women's basketball coach Pam Borton was given a secret contract extension. There has also been some non-athletic things going on regarding overall administrative costs.

I just can't support a team that uses tax-dollars in that fashion, especially when they are mine(I'm well aware that part of it booster money but it's a public university so some of it is also tax money).

Than there is Jerry Kills' seemingly being content with barely making bowls if at all.

OMG ... they do have some issues. Sad, sorry to hear. Well, good luck to who-ever you decide to support this year. 👍

I was reading some of the comments following the articles, and ... :lol: And we thought Penn State was messed up. :boggled: Speaking of Penn State, how about the lawsuit the university has filed ?

It started with them paying $800,000 to avoid North Carolina and it was recently revealed that women's basketball coach Pam Borton was given a secret contract extension. There has also been some non-athletic things going on regarding overall administrative costs.

That sounds like our (U of Tennessee) administration until this year they kept taking millions of dollars as a "gift" from the athletic department, even if the AD was over budget. And we also just found out that the administration was letting the local alumni chapter of our biggest rival (Alabama) rent a room in the administration building on our campus for their meetings.

With regards to this upcoming season most are more optimistic than last year, but with losing as much talent as we did at WR that is still a big concern. I think that we should get 7 maybe 8 wins this year and hopefully end this curse it seems like we have on us and begin to get the program back where it belongs among the nations elite.

2013 Tennessee Vols Schedule

Apr. 20 Orange and White Game

Aug. 31 Austin Peay
Sep. 7 Western Kentucky
Sep. 14 @ Oregon
Sep. 21 @ Florida*
Sep. 28 South Alabama
Oct. 5 Georgia*
Oct. 19 South Carolina*
Oct. 26 @ Alabama*
Nov. 2 @ Missouri*
Nov. 9 Auburn*
Nov. 23 Vanderbilt*
Nov. 30 @ Kentucky*

Last edited:
Looking forward to another season discussing with you guys, looks like the same crowd already showing up.

This will be our only year in the modified C-USA, and I'm not sure what my prediction is yet.

You know, I'm going to be very interested to see how Houston transitions from Conference USA to the Big East. Our new stadium won't officially be played in until 2014. So I think we're playing our home games at Reliant Stadium. Houston wasn't exactly ballin' last season, falling to a 5-7 record and losing to teams like Texas State and Louisiana Tech. We're going to struggle against the Big East teams. However, I'm hopeful Houston will get grounded and rooted firmly to where they can consistently compete and win.

So there is my semi-unofficial prediction of how the 2013 University of Houston Cougars will do this coming season.

tbwhhs ... your schedule is not looking too awful bad. Good luck.

CAM ... best of luck to your Pirates this year in this Modded C-USA.

John ....good luck in the move to the Big East. I see where you and Blitz24 have a date this year, 10/26/13 @ High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway, NJ.

It was reported that East Carolina would be a football-only Big East member. Now, both Tulsa and East Carolina are reportedly going to both be in the Big East for all sports(?) in 2014. Next thing you know it, all of us former Conference USA schools will be all Big East members. Must be a small world. Or at least... a small college football world.

We just call it C-USA 2. And thanks guys, its a good time to be a Pirate. We play Weber State tonight for the CIT Basketball Championship and hopefully we'll land somewhere good when these conferences settle down. Good luck to all in spring workouts.

Saturday marked the end of Spring Football for the O.S.U. Buckeyes as the played their Scarlett and Gray game in Cincinnati (OSU Stadium under some construction, as well as the highways and byways going through downtown Columbus .... what a mess this place is right now !!!!)

The Scarlett, led by Braxton Miller beat the Gray 31-14. Buckeyes are looking good, but still have some work that must be accomplished before they kick off the '13 season.

Full articles

8/31/13 we kick it off .... Good Luck Bucks !!!

The B1G has announced that a name change is coming in '14 when Maryland and Rutgers join in on the Division. No longer will there be the Legends and Leaders Division nametags. It will now be called the B1G East and the B1G West.

East Division will be :

Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

The West will consist of :

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue

I personally kind of like it. It does sound better than Legends and Leaders.

Full article

The B1G has announced that a name change is coming in '14 when Maryland and Rutgers join in on the Division. No longer will there be the Legends and Leaders Division nametags. It will now be called the B1G East and the B1G West.

East Division will be :

Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

The West will consist of :

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue

I personally kind of like it. It does sound better than Legends and Leaders.

Full article
Although to be 100% honest, the East is A LOT more appealing than the West.

As someone *cough* who barely missed seeing my name in red */cough*, I hope to be more educated this year and talk the season with you gentlemen. I'll probably cheer for my hometown TCU, but I don't know their schedule, sorry.

Although to be 100% honest, the East is A LOT more appealing than the West.

👍 Agreed

As someone *cough* who barely missed seeing my name in red */cough*, I hope to be more educated this year and talk the season with you gentlemen. I'll probably cheer for my hometown TCU, but I don't know their schedule, sorry.

You were "oh-so-close" last year at winning ... just one game opened up the door. Better luck this year ... (hint-hint). ;)

Good luck to those Horned Frogs.

East and West is MUCH better to understand. I still remember someone suggesting (I believe...) Land and Lakes as the division names. Leaders and Legends were too boastful and gimmicky to me.

I still remember someone suggesting (I believe...) Land and Lakes as the division names. Leaders and Legends were too boastful and gimmicky to me.

There were a lot of gimmicky names thrown out there. I'll have to give in that Legends and Leaders were obviously the better choice than Lands and Lakes.

So, the college football commissioners are in Pasadena this week discussing the new playoff system to be implemented in '14. Going is the BCS (yeah), coming is the College Football Playoff. They also will choose the remaining three sites for the six-bowl semifinal rotation in the new system and the site of the first championship game to be held Jan. 12, 2015, this week.

Complete article.

So how screwed are the Texas Longhorns this year?

Well, looking at their schedule ....

H - New Mexico State
H - BYU Cougars
H - Ole Miss Rebels
H - Kansas State Wildcats
A - Iowa State Cyclones
H - Oklahoma Sooners
A - TCU Horned Frogs
H - Kansas Jayhawks
A - West Virginia Mountaineers
H - Oklahoma State Cowboys
H - Texas Tech Red Raiders
A - Baylor Bears

I'd call out a 6-6 maybe a 5-7 season. However, since they only have 4 road games, this could play into their favor. Then again, it is College Football, we are all well aware of how this goes.

So Coach Brady Hoke of Michigan is calling the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame "chicken" for dropping them from the 2015-2017 schedule. I'm hoping Coach Hoke was just joking about this, just taunting N.D., trying to lure them back in after their brief absence. We'll see.

Article

I'd call it a "financial decision" on behalf of Notre Dame. While N.D. is not a member of the ACC, they have picked up 5 big games against this division. There's money down in the ACC, so why not bail on Michigan and go for some of that ACC money ?

So what's going on in Buckeye Land ?

OSU is in hopes of dethroning the SEC - Alabama for the '13 season. Lets give credit where credit is due, the SEC and the Crimson Tide have earned their reputation over the last 7 years .... (lest we be reminded of the 7 straight SEC Championships :grumpy:). But, is the guard about to be changed ? The Bucks are hoping to do so. After all, and I'll admit it, it was the Bucks who got beat back in '06 that started this SEC swing of 7 year power. But now, can it be payback time for OSU ?

Here's hoping, Go Bucks !!!

Did you know the conference formerly known as the Big East is now the American Athletic Conference? Various teams like Houston and Memphis are part of this conference moving forward.

One thing that has saddened me about today's college sports landscape has been how conference realignment has broken up some of the great rivalries. Near and dear to me is the rivalry between Texas and Texas A&M being broken up since TAMU plays in the SEC now. Part of college sports (let alone football) is in tradition. I certainly think while old traditions are solid, you sometimes have to create new traditions. One of the rivalries set to end in the near future is the game between Notre Dame and Michigan.

Figured I'd bump this post up so that college football isn't forgotten at this point. You're welcome.

Did you know the conference formerly known as the Big East is now the American Athletic Conference? Various teams like Houston and Memphis are part of this conference moving forward.

Yup, sure did. There is a plethora of movement going on in the college football world for the '13 season.

Here is what's happening this year, who's coming in and who's going out ? :crazy:

American Athletic Conference
Who is in :
Central Florida
Houston
SMU
Memphis

Who is out :
Anyone who could ..... :lol:
The Catholic Seven, they even took the name with them.
Syracuse
Pittsburgh

Atlantic Coast Conference
Who is in :
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
*Louisville to come in next year*

Who is out :
"idle"

Big East
Who is in :
Xavier
Butler
Creighton

Who is out :
St. John's
Seton Hall
Villanova
Providence
Marquette
Georgetown
DePaul

Big 10 (B1G)
"idle on both sides"

* '14 will see Rutgers and Maryland join in on the action*

Big 12
"idle on both sides"

Pac 12
"idle on both sides"

Southeastern Conference
"idle on both sides"

* as much as I hate the SEC .... who in their right mind would really want to leave this conference ? These teams have it made down there.

Mountain West
Who's in :
Utah State
San Jose State

Who's out :
"idle"

Conference USA
Who's in :
Middle Tennessee
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Louisiana Tech
North Texas
UT-San Antonio
* Old Dominion, Charlotte, Western Kentucky will join in '14 *

Who's out :
Houston
SMU
Central Florida
Memphis

Mid American

"idle on both sides"

Sun Belt
Who's in :
Texas State
Georgia State

Who's out :
Middle Tennesse
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
North Texas

Western Athletic
Who's out :
pretty much everybody

Who's in :
A motley assortment of strivers and dreamers from six different states.

Last edited:
On ESPN's "College Football Live," there was talk about a specific venue potentially hosting a college football game. Would you prefer your college football be played at... a race track? What if I told you that potential race track is... Daytona International Speedway? I heard it could possibly host a game or two for Florida State. Would you want to see a college football game at a race track? Here's more info on Daytona wanting to expand its appeal:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-speedway-could-host-a-college-football-game/

The only connection between Daytona and college football that I know of is college football at NCAA FCS school Bethune-Cookman University, based in Daytona Beach. Home of the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats. Anyhow, that's the ONLY sort of college football link with Daytona.

I'm a HUGE CFB fan! Love Saturdays in the fall when I can wake up and head to Columbia! I think South Carolina has a chance to do some serious head turning this year! Our schedule is:

August 31 NORTH CAROLINA
September 7 at Georgia*
September 14 VANDERBILT*
September 21 Open
September 28 at Central Florida
October 5 KENTUCKY*
October 12 at Arkansas*
October 19 at Tennessee*
October 26 at Missouri*
November 2 MISSISSIPPI STATE*
November 9 Open
November 16 FLORIDA*
November 23 COASTAL CAROLINA
November 30 CLEMSON

If we get by Georgia early I honestly don't think we will lose a game. We got Florida at home Clemson (way over rated) at home and Vanderbilt at home. Those are our hardest games. Our hardest away game is probably Arkansas or Tennessee. (outside of Georgia)

We're 27-3 in our last 30 home games including going undefeated last year we have the best pass rush in CFB (even though ESPN claims ND does...lol right) and we always have a strong secondary. We do have young LBs but once they break in and get some game action we're going to be DANGEROUS.

On offense we got Connor Shaw who is 17-3 and Dylan Thompson who is 3-0 at QB. Brandon Wilds and Mike Davis will take over nicely for Lattimore. Wilds did in 2011 ran great and Davis ran great last year in the second half. We got Bruce Ellington back at WR as well as a few young guys who are finally getting their turn Shaq Roland, Demiere Byrd and Kwinton Smith. Our TEs are really athletic Busta Anderson has been a force for us since 2011 and Jerrell Adams is going to be really good.

Man I'm so pumped I can't wait for the UNC game Thursday "night" (its at 6pm EST...really its afternoon still) on ESPN. Hopefully they make me proud this year!

Heeeeyyyyy, a new name in the CFB thread ! Welcome to GTPlanet College Football dcgc5 👍.
Here's hoping your Gamecocks do well. :cheers:

Here is the 1st (that I've seen) preseason picks / predictions for the '13 season. Take a peeksie, what do you think ? Of course, I'm liking it. ;)

The '13 kickoff is just over a month away, getting pumped for this one ..... GO BUCKS !

I just don't think the Georgia has enough on D to go 7-1 in the SEC. I think they lost to much and will lose to SC (homer) LSU and Florida.

As for OSU I think you guys will run the table again! I'd love to see the Gamecocks vs Buckeyes in Pasadena!

Edit: Just so you know I'm not a typical SEC homer. I do think the SECs top 6 teams overall are better than most of the country however I think the bottom 8 are not that good. Even if they do have those losses "because they play SEC teams" I think OSU would beat those 8 teams 10 out of 10 times and be competitive with all of the top 6. Not just OSU but also teams like Oregon Stanford Louisville ect ect. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't buy into the hype that the SEC is FAR better than everyone else. Maybe the teams that finish first and second in the East and West are really great the third place teams are sometimes (like last year SC was 11-2 but 3rd in the East) but not so dominate no conference is close.

As for OSU I think you guys will run the table again!

I'm hoping so. Last year was all for not :grumpy:. This year, it's the real thing for the Buckeyes.

I'd love to see the Gamecocks vs Buckeyes in Pasadena!
Challenge accepted. :P:lol:

Just so you know I'm not a typical SEC homer. I do think the SECs top 6 teams overall are better than most of the country however I think the bottom 8 are not that good. Even if they do have those losses "because they play SEC teams" I think OSU would beat those 8 teams 10 out of 10 times and be competitive with all of the top 6. Not just OSU but also teams like Oregon Stanford Louisville ect ect.

I along with all the other Buckeye faithful want 'Bama ..... BAD !!!
Tressell could not beat the SEC, I think Urban Meyer can do it. Maybe not this year (still have hopes though). Meyer is still weeding out Tressel's kids and implementing his own recruits. '13 will be a good year for the Bucks ... '14, I say watch out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't buy into the hype that the SEC is FAR better than everyone else. Maybe the teams that finish first and second in the East and West are really great the third place teams are sometimes (like last year SC was 11-2 but 3rd in the East) but not so dominate no conference is close.

11-2 is quite respectable, nothing to be ashamed of about that, congrats on that record 👍. As much as I dislike saying it, you gotta give credit where credit is due. Yeah, 'Bama is good. They will be good again this year. I just want to see the SEC ('Bama) get knocked on their ass by the B1G ..... preferably by OSU, or Michigan for all that goes. Just beat the Tide and bring the B1G back to prime status. Something this division has been lacking as of late.

I'm hoping so. Last year was all for not :grumpy:. This year, it's the real thing for the Buckeyes.

Challenge accepted. :P:lol:

I along with all the other Buckeye faithful want 'Bama ..... BAD !!!
Tressell could not beat the SEC, I think Urban Meyer can do it. Maybe not this year (still have hopes though). Meyer is still weeding out Tressel's kids and implementing his own recruits. '13 will be a good year for the Bucks ... '14, I say watch out.

11-2 is quite respectable, nothing to be ashamed of about that, congrats on that record 👍. As much as I dislike saying it, you gotta give credit where credit is due. Yeah, 'Bama is good. They will be good again this year. I just want to see the SEC ('Bama) get knocked on their ass by the B1G ..... preferably by OSU, or Michigan for all that goes. Just beat the Tide and bring the B1G back to prime status. Something this division has been lacking as of late.

Well I can understand you wanting a shot at Bama but I don't think you guys will get that shot. Bama is going to be great again of course but Steve Spurrier owns Alabama and even beat them with South Carolina in 2010. If we match up with them in Atlanta we will beat them. Texas A&M also is going to give them fits because as great as Bama is beating/competing with them is as simple as spreading out from sideline to sideline. (Assuming you have the oline to block them up)

Latest Posts

Back