• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 245 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This won't be any ordinary season of college football. NCAA Football's premier category of football will have the College Football Playoff. This is where four teams will qualify to battle to become the first champions of NCAA FBS' first-ever playoffs. That's right- no more BCS. And also, don't forget about the party poopers and mid-majors trying to prove themselves among the giants. No matter what, there is NOTHING like college football!

Time to start a new season. Do remember that this is the college football thread, meaning while the emphasis is primarily on NCAA football, you know me- ANY college football is fair game to discuss here. Only as long as it's about college football. So bring on your non-NCAA, non-FBS college football in addition to the brand of college football almost everyone knows.

Hoping the Stanford Cardinal will continue to own the Pac 12, with their 46-8 W/L record since 2010. I also hope they return to the Rose Bowl, now that I can afford to go and watch.

Also rooting for Boise State in Mountain West, and the Sooners in the Big 12.

Here locally, my beloved University of Houston Cougars will open their new stadium- TDECU Stadium on August 29 against the Roadrunners of the University of Texas-San Antonio. The Coogs had a pretty good season in their American Athletic Conference debut. I just wished they'd win their games at Central Florida and at Louisville. I only hope we can keep playing hard and keep winning. The AAC is the sorriest of the power conferences, but it is still a fairly competitive conference.

THIS JUST IN...

...with a shoulder injury, Ohio State QB Braxton Miller is done for the upcoming season. SAD, sad news if you're an Ohio State fan.

The 2014 season of college football kicked off in anger back on Saturday with a marquee NCAA FCS match. It was the #14 Sam Houston State Bearkats going up to Cheney, Washington to take on #2 Eastern Washington on their atrocious-looking red football field. EWU won 56-35 on a game televised on ESPN back on Saturday. I'm bummed SHSU lost since I do cheer them on.

This weekend is one of the best weekends of college football because this is where the college boys can have some fun without the pro footballers taking up all the spotlight. We got LSU vs. Wisconsin down here in Houston among some of the major matches coming up this weekend. My beloved Houston Cougars will open up their new stadium- TDECU Stadium this Friday night when we host the Roadrunners of the University of Texas-San Antonio.

Get psyched, GTPlanet... college football is back in session! Good luck to all of your teams this upcoming season.

Rutgers will play Washington St. Odds are they will lose this before being flattened this year.

Have you heard of the story involving USCal's CB Josh Shaw get injured his ankle trying to save his nephew from drowning? Well, THIS JUST IN...

...Josh Shaw admitted he lied about his injured ankles as well as him lying about his heroic story. USCal has suspended him indefinitely. So his story is as believable as Manti T'eo's girlfriend story. What do you make of this whole deal?

By the way, Abilene Christian at Georgia State is underway on ESPNU as of this post. The Wildcats of ACU are ahead 3-0 with 8:58 left in the First Quarter. This is the second year of the Georgia State Panthers on the NCAA FBS level.

[UPDATE] Josh Shaw is a CORNERback, not a Quarterback. I changed "QB" to "CB." It's GA State's second year in NCAA FBS.

Last edited:
Last night's most surprising result was hands down- #21 Texas A&M going into #9 South Carolina and hammering them 52-28. TAMU's QB (Kenny Hill) passed for more yards in that one game than Johnny Manziel EVER passed for in any single game in his career. For reference, "Johnny Football" once put up 464 passing yards in a loss to Alabama. He put up 511 passing yards as the Aggies grilled the Gamecocks well done last night. Not even South Carolina's playing of Darude's "Sandstorm" (one of few "jock jams" I can actually tolerate and like) was enough to rattle TAMU.

More games tonight, including my Houston Cougars opening their new stadium. Enjoy some college football tonight!

Beautiful new stadium... ugly loss. We failed bad- 27-7 hosting UTSA. The only good news is that the Cougars didn't get blanked by the young UTSA program. This was a damned shame for UH to open a new stadium and fail this badly against a team UH could have probably beaten easily.

Well... it's just one game. One game doesn't determine a whole season. You do have to hope things get better if your team stunk the first game of the season. All the U. of Houston can do is move on to the next one.

Usually I'm excited to see Stanford blow-out a team.

However, the team they are blowing out is UC Davis (Big Sky), which is the closest thing I have to a "local" D1 school. So 38-0 at halftime is less awesome today.

Was bummed to see that UCLA got the win today. They were in trouble toward the end.

Well I'm glad WVU kept it within 10 points for the last quarter..

Big mistakes were made, and if we had a good WR we could've had a lot closer of a game..

Time for some random musings...

Here's a Big Ten-only scoreboard (home victors in CAPITAL LETTERS):

* Akron at Penn State: (21-3, PENN STATE)
* Central Michigan at Purdue: (38-17, Central Michigan)
* Western Illinois at #18 Wisconsin: (37-3, WISCONSIN)
* Howard at Rutgers: (38-25, RUTGERS)
* McNeese State at #19 Nebraska: (31-24, NEBRASKA)
* Western Kentucky at Illinois (42-34, ILLINOIS)
* Maryland at South Florida (24-17, Maryland)
* Northern Illinois at Northwestern (23-15, Northern Illinois)
* Ball State at Iowa (17-13, IOWA)
* Middle Tennessee State at Minnesota (35-24, MINNESOTA)
* #7 Michigan State at #3 Oregon (46-27, OREGON)
* Michigan at Notre Dame (31-0, NOTRE DAME)
* Virginia Tech at #8 Ohio State (35-21, Virginia Tech)

Most surprising to me was Virginia Tech beating Ohio State in Columbus. Still never ceasing to amaze me, this is (maybe I'm wrong, and as I read) the first-ever meeting between VT and Ohio State. Two historic football programs never meeting until recently. It takes some real balls to go into Ohio Stadium and beat the Buckeyes in their house.

Speaking of historic programs, there was an EPIC fail by the Texas Longhorns, getting smashed 41-7 by BYU. This game was in Austin, TX. This was a terrible loss for Texas. BYU beat Texas like Texas was Stephen F. Austin State or something.

My Houston Cougars got over their disappointing defeat to UTSA by beating the Grambling State Tigers 47-0.

The Pirates of East Carolina University went into the University of South Carolina to try to trip up the Gamecocks a bit more after last weekend's embarrassment hosting Texas A&M. ECU's efforts failed. 33-23 was the score as the Gamecocks took down the ECU Pirates.

Washington is 2-0. However, there are those who aren't taking the Washington Huskies seriously considering they squeaked by Hawaii at Hawaii followed by winning this weekend 59-52 against the Eagles of Eastern Washington University. The Huskies' next opponent is against Illinois on September 13.

Congratulations to all other winners all across college football.

Washington is 2-0. However, there are those who aren't taking the Washington Huskies seriously considering they squeaked by Hawaii at Hawaii followed by winning this weekend 59-52 against the Eagles of Eastern Washington University. The Huskies' next opponent is against Illinois on September 13.

I guess a win is a win.

But I'm worried, and I see that my Huskies have a lot of work in front of them. The Eastern Washington game showed that we have an ok offense, and even a defense that is ok against a rushing offense, but we can't handle any sort of passing offense whatsoever, and pairing up a ok passing offense and a ok defense opponent, we're just going to get creamed.

bOPiytq.jpg

UCLA and Texas will play in Arlington, TX at that huge stadium the NFL's Dallas Cowboys play in. If Texas plays this game like they played against BYU (my Houston Cougars will play at BYU this Thursday night), this game is going to be very ugly for the Longhorns against the UCLA Bruins.

Get psyched for another weekend of college football, folks! And good luck to all of your teams.

A little closer than I thought, but the Houston Cougars still lost at the BYU Cougars 35-23 last night. We're now 1-2 on the season. Our next opponent is at home against UNLV.

Tonight, we got No. 8 Baylor at Buffalo. The Bulls are looking to upset the Baylor Bears tonight. No chance of that happening according to betting folks. Baylor's favored by 32.5 according to Yahoo! Sports.

DOWN GOES VIRGINIA TECH!

Remember Virginia Tech? You know, the team that went to Ohio State and beat the Buckeyes in their house? Well, VT got upset (they were 17th Ranked) by CAM's East Carolina Pirates... in VT's house. The game ended 28-21 in punch-to-the-gut fashion. Disappointing fail by the Virginia Tech Hokies.

Throwing away a game. Rutgers couldn't do a better job at just falling apart and blowing a two score lead to let Penn State win the game. 5 INTs, Nova has regressed.

The NDSU/UIW game was a bit of a blowout...

Bison are now at 3-0 on the season with the University of Montana next week in Fargo.

The big upset of the weekend was Boston College beating USCal. BC was 0-4 all-time against USCal until last night's triumph. Another big winner was South Carolina in them putting down the Georgia Bulldogs. Texas played quite well against UCLA in Arlington, TX. The Longhorns still failed.

Congratulations to all other winners from this past week and weekend.

Some people are saying this week of college football could be a real indicator of who is for real in determining the College Football Playoff contenders. Two games to watch are Clemson at Florida State as well as perhaps Auburn at Kansas State. Another big game is Oklahoma at West Virginia.

Plenty of good games coming up this weekend. After this week, the vast majority of teams will be playing conference matches. My Houston Cougars will host UNLV this Saturday.

Good luck to all of your teams.

Some people are saying this week of college football could be a real indicator of who is for real in determining the College Football Playoff contenders. Two games to watch are Clemson at Florida State as well as perhaps Auburn at Kansas State. Another big game is Oklahoma at West Virginia.

Plenty of good games coming up this weekend. After this week, the vast majority of teams will be playing conference matches. My Houston Cougars will host UNLV this Saturday.

Good luck to all of your teams.
Last year was a close game I thought (for WVU and OU) and now that the team is a bit more solid, and looking how well Tricket is performing, I think that we might be a little bit closer this game

If you're a Florida State fan, you're probably sad Jameis Winston will be suspended for the first half of Clemson at Florida State. This was because of an obscene gesture he blurted out. He has since apologized. Winston still needs to mature.

Tonight, it's No. 5 Auburn at No. 20 Kansas State. The Big XII has a chance to make a statement if the Wildcats of K-State knock off the Auburn Tigers.

Good luck to all of your team(s) this weekend.

Winston needs to sit out for the entire game, and not be allowed to associate with the team during hours of meeting for the next week...

Comparing him to Manziel is a joke.... IMO, he has done a lot worse than Manziel of accusations, rather than Winston's actual facts..

Back