College Football: 2014 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 245 comments
Did anyone see the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl today? Western Kentucky had a 42-14 lead over Central Michigan, but the Chippewas scored 34 points in the 4th quarter. They scored a td with no time left to cut the lead to 1. But they went for 2 and the win but the pass was incomplete.

CMU's last second touchdown:

I saw the Bahamas Bowl ending overnight, and man... that finish was insane! Full credit to Central Michigan going for the win after being throttled all game long. Western Kentucky still held on for the 49-48 win.

Also, did you NASCAR fans hear a familiar voice call the Hawaii Bowl? Right- Mr. Allen Bestwick was the play-by-play voice for that game. Rice smashed Fresno State 30-6 in that game.

Congratulations to all other bowl game winners so far.

Some guy named Jim Harbaugh is expected to be Michigan's new head coach. He's a pretty big deal, so I'm sure you will have yourself an amazing coach. Get to know Jim Harbaugh. Maybe he'll take Michigan Wolverines' football out of the doldrums and back to being one of the most winning programs in all of college football.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Alright... time to get this party started right. Today is the debut of the College Football Playoff. Four teams will clash in hopes of making the National Championship Game on January 12. Alabama. Oregon. Florida State. Ohio State. Alabama vs. Ohio State. Oregon vs. Florida State. Two teams will advance to the title game. The two losers will have their seasons and dreams snapped. They all made history as being the first teams in this new College Football Playoff, but only two will play for the title, and that team will make history by winning the first ever College Football Playoff. The journey begins today and tonight.

Good luck to all teams involved.

Michigan State just made a statement by scoring 21 unanswered points against Baylor to win the Cotton Bowl 42-41. The Spartans were down 20 points at the start of the 4th quarter.

We're going to have either... Oregon vs. Alabama or Oregon vs. Ohio State. Oregon won 59-20 over Florida State. You knew Florida State was going to fail at some point. You just didn't know when or how. Basically, Oregon beat Florida State much like the Seattle Seahawks dominated the Denver Broncos in the latest Super Bowl, especially in the second half. So the Quack Attack is one win away from the National Championship. Right now, it's a tussle between Alabama and Ohio State to determine the other half of the National Championship of the College Football Playoff.

I like how FSU runs fake commercials for their school now. The one about the student that does research with Dr. Kroto. He was in my class. I met Kroto and last I heard he doesn't do that kind of research.

Alabama led 21-6 with 8:07 left in the 1st half. They were outscored 35-14 the rest of the game. Alabama kept this game closer than it was really in the end but they took way too long on the final drive and the hail mary ended in an INT.

2. Oregon will play 4. Ohio State following the 42-35 win by Ohio State over the Tide.

Well, the Big Ten made a statement today. They proved that the conference is still very much relevant despite people saying otherwise.

Well, the Big Ten made a statement today. They proved that the conference is still very much relevant despite people saying otherwise.
They certainly aren't as bad as they seemed earlier this season; however, their bowl opponents strength is quite weak. Illinois losing to La Tech??? I think the Big 10 is very good at the top and very bad at the bottom

They certainly aren't as bad as they seemed earlier this season; however, their bowl opponents strength is quite weak. Illinois losing to La Tech??? I think the Big 10 is very good at the top and very bad at the bottom
Ole' Miss was supposed to be one of the top tier teams in the SEC, and TCU obliterated them. Anyone can beat anyone at any time. For reference, Mizzou lost to Indiana (one of the worst teams in the Big 10) but beat Minnesota (one of the better Big 10 teams) in a bowl game. My point was that people always have been counting out the Big Ten because it is perceived as a "weak" conference. Look at Ohio State last year since everyone said that they would never have had a winning season if they played in the SEC. It's hard to write them off now because they just took down the 'Tide.

Sup ladies.

Alabama's coach is aware that their big lead was the result of turnovers. Here in Ohio we felt the mood sinking but apparently on the field their coach still knew something was off. And he was right - not only did we claw our way back but we maintained a lead.

That was a tough game and a lot of mistakes were made by OSU, especially when we were pushed up against our end zone. Given the circumstances, every player on both teams did great but our QB, Jones, is a standout. He's going places.

I don't want to say we can't beat Oregon but Oregon plays a different kind of football entirely. They count on speed, first when making plays to move the ball before the defense can organize, and second in their players themselves. I think there will be two outcomes - either OSU wins or Oregon runs the table.

Last edited:
SEC proved not much today and over the past few days though. The SEC West went a very poor 2-5 in bowl games this year, the two wins coming from Arkansas and Texas A&M.

You can't really compare bowl games with the regular season, its a lot different when you have a month to prepare for an opponent and for players to heal up compare to a week or two.

That being said TCU should have been a playoff team the only surprise about that game was the margin of victory. I never thought Bama should have been the number 1 team and I think if it wasn't for ESPN's promotion of them and the SEC Oregon would have been seeded number 1. If I remember correctly ESPN's FPI had Bama number 1, even after they lost to Ole Miss and were not in the top 5 of the polls.

And here is an interesting thing I saw earlier Oregon and Ohio State also played in the first NCAA men's basketball championship game in 1939.

Supposedly OSU is up 8-0 on Oregon. Problem is, the Oregon they'll be playing isn't the same Oregon they've played before.

SEC proved not much today and over the past few days though. The SEC West went a very poor 2-5 in bowl games this year, the two wins coming from Arkansas and Texas A&M.

I may be incorrect here, but the SEC bowl teams were the underdogs in at least half their games, and as @tbwhhs said, give any team a month to prepare and anything can happen.

I'll also add that other than Vandy I don't see a really poor team in the SEC. It's easier to be a good Big 10 team when OSU, MSU, and Wisconsin get 2-5 games a season playing Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, etc. compared to the SEC where a team like Georgia can lose to South Carolina and Florida but demolish Auburn and Missouri.

To add to this: bowl games are all about matchups. Take Auburn vs. Wisconsin. Auburn has an undersized and injured front 7 playing the NCAA's best O-line and 2nd all time leading rusher. Take the Sugar Bowl with Alabama having all kinds of issues stopping the spread during the regular season especially in the Iron Bowl. OSU ran the spread the whole game and gave Bama a bad matchup whereas Bama's bread and butter is a run first (less this year with Kiffin, but still mainly a run team) like Wisconsin. Remember OSU flattened Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game giving the OSU defense the better matchup. Another example: Georgia Tech runs a system that 3 other teams run in D1. State had not played a system like that before giving them nothing to really study for whereas GT had come off gameplanning for Jameis Winston who is much like Dak Prescott. Easier matchup for Tech.

Also, I think TCU is the best team. I knew Ole Miss would poop the bed against them. Bo Wallace is the worst QB I've seen. He's the sole reason Auburn defeated them the past 2 seasons. If Ole Miss had any consistency from that position, they would have been the team playing OSU and not the team coached by the south pole elf

We... won? The University of Houston somehow, some way... beat the University of Pittsburgh 35-34 in the 2015 Armed Forces Bowl. When I first saw the game, Pitt was up 34-13 on UH somewhere in the bottom half of the 4th Quarter. Houston Cougar Football? somehow rallied to beat the Pittsburgh Panthers 35-34. As a UH fan, I'm proud of the Cougars on a job well done. I only hope the Coogs can return to relevance after a few mediocre seasons. All congratulations to the University of Houston Cougars on a job well done. Now if you'll excuse me...

*happy dance*

In case you didn't get the note from others here on GTPlanet, it will be Oregon vs. Ohio State for the BC... uh, the College Football Playoff National Championship. Oregon overrated Florida State while Ohio State gritted out a win against the Alabama Crimson Tide. So this season's National Champions will either be from the Big Ten or the Pac-12. Buckeyes. Ducks. Winner takes all on January 12.

I'm not even shocked at all at the fact that Iowa is getting blown out by the Vols at this point. They've only really been able to beat either bad teams, and even then, a 2-10 Iowa State that was blown out by both Oklahoma and TCU beat the Hawkeyes. They've only been close against average teams, and the only team they blew out was a bad Northwestern. You could argue that they had a chance to beat both Nebraska and Wisconsin (two of the best teams they faced all year), but they still lost. And they got blown out by Minnesota on top of it. Take a fairly mediocre team and put them against a hungry SEC Team with a program on the rebound, and you get this.

If this result holds up (which, unless Iowa has a miracle comeback, it will), the Big Ten will be at 5-5 in the bowl season at the time of my post. The SEC will wind up at 6-5 after Tennessee finishes their romping on Iowa (again, at the time of my post). As of right now, the ACC (4-7 at the time of my post) and the Big 12 (1-4 at this time AFAIK) are the losers in this bowl season. But if I'm wrong, someone let me know so that I can correct it.

North Dakota State won the 2014 FCS National Championship. This is the fourth straight time they've done so. Hey, NDSU... you're welcome to step up to NCAA FBS any time you like. You'd be capable in NCAA FBS. You guys are too damn good. The Bison of North Dakota State beat the Illinois State Redbirds 29-27. They are the first school to win four successive National Championships since Augustana College won between 1983-1986. One certain GTPlaneteer loves his NDSU Bison, so I'm offering this shout-out.

Don't forget- Oregon vs. Ohio State this Monday night for the College Football Playoff National Championship game. There's already trouble for Oregon as WR D. Carrington failed a drug test and did not make the trip. This may give Ohio State a bit of an edge when the Nat'l Title game kicks off this Monday.

One certain GTPlaneteer loves his NDSU Bison, so I'm offering this shout-out.
When you work there, you kind of have to be a fan. :lol: This was a lot closer championship game than they've had in the past but a win is a win. :D

*cue Monday Night Football theme*

Get psyched, GTPlanet... it's Monday Night Football! No- not those overpaid babies... this is a college night. The inaugural College Football Playoff has seen four teams whittled down to two. Oregon overrated Florida State in their runaway rout of the Seminoles, and Ohio State stood toe-to-toe with SEC power Alabama and knocked out the Crimson Tide. So it will be the Buckeyes of THE Ohio State University taking on the Oregon Ducks. Winner will get full bragging rights and the honor of being the first champion of the College Football Playoff system. The loser will will have to try again next season to compete for a National Championship.

More than ever... good luck to both Oregon and Ohio State, and all congratulations to the National Champion of the inaugural College Football Playoff.

I'm not going to lie- I'm really torn on this game. On one hand, I hate Ohio State with a passion, but on the other, I really want them to win for the sake of the Big 10.

"I don't know. After all that Ohio State didn't deserve to make it" - every TCU fan.

I had no pick for the National Championship game, but part of me wanted Oregon to finally win. Unfortunately, it was the scarlet and gray/grey who got it done. And to use drag racing speak, Ohio State won on a holeshot in the second half. Yep. Oregon saw their opponent's tail lights in the other lane as the Buckeyes motored away to a victory. So Oregon overrated Florida State, then got overrated themselves by Ohio State. Congratulations to THE Ohio State University on their 42-20 victory last night. On a positive and unrelated side, Tom Hernan (OH State defensive coordinator) is to be the head coach of my beloved Houston Cougars, so this gives me a little more incentive to be pleased at Ohio State's victory.

Congratulations to various champions from this past season:

* NCAA FBS: Ohio State (def. Oregon 42-20)
* NCAA FCS: North Dakota State (def. Illinois State 29-27)
* NCAA Division 2: Colorado State-Pueblo (def. Minnesota Staet-Mankato 13-0)
* NCAA Division 3: Wisconsin-Whitewater (def. Mount Union 43-34)
* NAIA: Southern Oregon (def. Marian (Ind.) 55-31)
* NJCAA: East Mississippi Community College (def. Iowa Western Community College 34-17)
* (any other college football champions)

And with that... all the games that matter are officially done for the 2014 season. College sports fans can now look to stuff like basketball, baseball, lacrosse, and most of the other late Winter or Spring sports.

[UPDATE] I added the NJCAA champion from the 2014 season.

Last edited:
Jameis Winston declared for the NFL Draft earlier this year. And THIS JUST IN...

...Marcus Mariota declared for the NFL Draft. There may be a possibility we'll see a Winston/Mariota match in the NFL eventually. Maybe we'll have it on a Sunday night or a Monday night. The QB depth for this season's NFL Draft just got more interesting.

Last edited:
Back