College Football: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 314 comments
Neyland Stadium seats about maybe 50K less people than Bristol Motor Speedway. Wonder if fans will pack this house like almost any game at Neyland Stadium...

Tennessee sold out of its 40,000 ticket allotment in January 2014, and there were only a few thousand tickets left at the beginning of the year. There is especially high demand from people who just want to experience the game and with the hype surrounding Tennessee this year. The tickets that are available are going for anywhere from $150-$500 each.

I'm surprised there aren't as many fans like Phyllis when Kansas or Army loses.

Anyhow, I can't wait for the new season to start up. Besides Rivalry Week and almost any Bowl game, this is a stacked weekend of college football. I personally like the first weekend of college football because you get to see college action without any NFL team trying to steal the headlines. So you can look at any of the big NCAA FBS games and be excited. Here in Houston, of course I'm intrigued about the Houston vs. Oklahoma match. It would be awesome if we pulled out the win over the boys from Norman, OK.

Enjoy this upcoming weekend of college football!

These days... everything HAS to be epic. Everything has to be the best/worst EVER. This opening weekend of college football is called as the "best opening weekend ever." Maybe it will be; maybe it won't. All I do know is that it's great for college football to come back for a new season of hits, big plays, and drama. So enjoy this first weekend of college football!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams this weekend and all season long.

When I was poking around Twitter earlier today, I learned that this was the day when Appalachian State went to Michigan and defeated the Michigan Wolverines back in 2007. Big Blue then took a big beating from the visiting Oregon Ducks the following weekend. I think Michigan is #7 in the Preseason polls. They are picked to be the favorites to win the Big Ten this season.

Folks, can you believe it? College football is back! This is the first weekend of collegiate football with the season starting in anger. Again- good luck to all of your favorite teams this season.

Close shave for the Tennessee Volunteers. Appalachian State was thinking "Giant Killer" again, but the Volunteers didn't budge. Regulation didn't solve anything. So Tennessee needed Overtime to pull off the 20-13 win. I'm sure if Tennessee failed on this one, we would have a vastly infuriated and disappointed tbwhhs. Hey- all you got to do is win. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Most people go nuts if their team wins. But if you're DII's Cheyney University, winning probably feels like winning the National Championship. Why? Because Cheyney's OT win over Lincoln snapped a 43 game losing streak. Before this victory, they last won in September 2012. In a twist of irony, their last victory was against Lincoln. Congrats to Cheyney for getting a win for the first time in several seasons.

Oh, you danged right I'm excited we pulled out the win over Oklahoma! I didn't see the game because I was out with my mother and had to go to some other functions. So I had to watch a Halftime Show to see what happened.

Outside of football, I got to salute ESPN for their tribute to John Saunders. I was almost crying as he was being remembered. He was one of the best.

Congratulations to all other winners today, tonight, and this week.

A few musings to share...

* Bronco Mendenhall, formerly coaching BYU, looked to turn around the University of Virginia. Well... his debut kinda, sort of... sucked. The Richmond Spiders defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 37-20 today. It was Richmond's first win over Virginia since 1946.

* There was another upset as the Jaguars of the University of South Alabama defeated the Mississippi State Bulldogs 21-20. Big win for the Jaguars of USA.

* LSU got picked off by Wisconsin with 56 seconds left in the game. Then, one LSU player completely blindsides one of the Wisconsin players and got thrown out of the game on a thug hit. Wisconsin leads 16-14 as of the time of this post with 56 seconds in the game. The LSU vs. Wisconsin match is the first major college football game ever played at historic Lambeau Field. As a Texans fan, J.J. Watt's brother T.J. Watt is playing in this game. Looks like beast defenders run in the Watt family. Oh, and the Badgers won 16-14 over the 5th-ranked LSU Tigers.

Lot of action still to come, including the USCal vs. Alabama match to be played in Arlington, TX.

A few musings to share...

* Bronco Mendenhall, formerly coaching BYU, looked to turn around the University of Virginia. Well... his debut kinda, sort of... sucked. The Richmond Spiders defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 37-20 today. It was Richmond's first win over Virginia since 1946.

* There was another upset as the Jaguars of the University of South Alabama defeated the Mississippi State Bulldogs 21-20. Big win for the Jaguars of USA.

* LSU got picked off by Wisconsin with 56 seconds left in the game. Then, one LSU player completely blindsides one of the Wisconsin players and got thrown out of the game on a thug hit. Wisconsin leads 16-14 as of the time of this post with 56 seconds in the game. The LSU vs. Wisconsin match is the first major college football game ever played at historic Lambeau Field. As a Texans fan, J.J. Watt's brother T.J. Watt is playing in this game. Looks like beast defenders run in the Watt family. Oh, and the Badgers won 16-14 over the 5th-ranked LSU Tigers.

Lot of action still to come, including the USCal vs. Alabama match to be played in Arlington, TX.

Bronco Mendenhall is a really good coach, but todays game just shows the state of the Virginia program.

Wisconsin beating LSU really doesn't surprise me a lot. They said that over half of the Badgers' roster was from Wisconsin, so you know they were really pumped for the game. As long as LSU don't have much of a passing game their opponents are just going to key on Fournette, and they are really going to struggle against the top teams when they get into SEC play.

Close shave for the Tennessee Volunteers. Appalachian State was thinking "Giant Killer" again, but the Volunteers didn't budge. Regulation didn't solve anything. So Tennessee needed Overtime to pull off the 20-13 win. I'm sure if Tennessee failed on this one, we would have a vastly infuriated and disappointed tbwhhs. Hey- all you got to do is win. It doesn't have to be pretty.

I hate to say this but this is classic Tennessee. Even dating back to the end of the Fulmer era, when Tennessee plays mid major opponents they always seem to play down to their level. But a win is a win and either way were 1-0.

Hate to say it, but that is typical of LSU and SEC football in general. I didn't have a pony in this race, but the SEC was always a bit too rough with their tackling, and this is no exception. I hope that the referees are cracking down on it this year.

Only one major game is on tonight- Notre Dame at Texas. Can the Longhorns take down the boys from South Bend? We'll see tonight.

The field is in at Bristol

Bristol.png

Attachments

• Bristol.png
    Bristol.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 6
It's going to be unique seeing college football played out on race tracks. There's this one at Bristol, and I also recall the one to be played at Daytona. I think this is a cool deal for racing fans that love college football. It sort of bridges the gap between the two. After all, Bristol Motor Speedway is a sporting venue- just like almost any other stadium or arena or whatever. So this is going to be a most interesting experience when Tennessee and Virginia Tech tangle this coming weekend. I tried to come up with some racing jokes for this college football game, but I decided not to make any to avoid sounding corny.

Man, Texas/Notre Dame was an absolute gem of a game. The words in my post above gained additional meaning now. What a great game I just watched.

What a game! Did you see the #10 Notre Dame at Texas game tonight? That was incredible! Texas won 50-47 in Double Overtime. To use baseball speak, Texas walked off on Notre Dame with a diving touchdown into the end zone. All congratulations to the Texas Longhorns on a great victory.

This may be the best opening weekend "ever." This weekend is capped by tonight's game between Ole Miss vs. Florida State to be played in Orlando. Maybe this one can be an Instant Classic? Rebels and Seminoles. I'll tell you this much... this game is going to have to have a lot of excitement to outdo the classic Notre Dame at Texas game from last night.

Good luck to both teams tonight.

[OMISSION] Josh Boutte, the OL for LSU who put that cheap shot tackle on that Wisconsin player late in the game was suspended for one game for that thug hit. On ESPNU's "College Football Daily," one person suggested players be suspended for half a season for putting on hits like Boutte did. I'm okay with the suspension.

Last edited:
This may be the best opening weekend "ever." This weekend is capped by tonight's game between Ole Miss vs. Florida State to be played in Orlando. Maybe this one can be an Instant Classic? Rebels and Seminoles. I'll tell you this much... this game is going to have to have a lot of excitement to outdo the classic Notre Dame at Texas game from last night.

Good luck to both teams tonight.

[OMISSION] Josh Boutte, the OL for LSU who put that cheap shot tackle on that Wisconsin player late in the game was suspended for one game for that thug hit. On ESPNU's "College Football Daily," one person suggested players be suspended for half a season for putting on hits like Boutte did. I'm okay with the suspension.

I hate to say this but I think that the fact that LSU plays Jacksonville State this weekend played a big factor in Boutte being suspended.

If FSU played in the first half as well as they did in the second half, it wouldn't have even been a close game.

The 11th-ranked Ole Miss Rebels had some good rope-a-dope action on #4 Florida State for most of the first half. Then the 2nd Half happened... and the teams must have traded uniforms or something because the Seminoles end up pounding the Rebels 45-34. It's almost as if Mississippi thought they scored enough points to win. NOPE! So the Seminoles basically were sleepwalking and ended up waking up and put a takedown on Ole Miss.

This was still an incredible opening weekend of college football.

Someone forgot to tell Rutgers the season started. Blown out on the road against Washington. They will try to stay out of the cellar next week.

Besides Josh Boutte's thug hit on a Wisconsin player, there was another Bush League moment from this past weekend in college football. Jabari Ruffin of USCal stepping on an Alabama player's groin was enough to get him a first-half of a game suspension from the Trojans' next game (vs. Utah State). The Ruffin incident seemed more comical than the blatant tackle by Boutte. It still was wrong to step on a guy's groin while he's down. So in addition to Boutte getting suspended, Ruffin got himself suspended.

The most interesting game is Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee to be played at Bristol Motor Speedway. At least you people who don't like ESPN/ABC covering NASCAR races won't have to worry about ESPN/ABC trying to make an effort to care about NASCAR coverage. This is something for us racing fans that love college football. It is almost the perfect marriage. Only thing is that you won't get to see beatin' and banging' on the high banks of Bristol. The beatin' and bangin' will take place on the field. And in instead of the "phantom caution" in NASCAR races, the flags are mostly real. This should be fun. As an analogy, this event is about as unique as when North Carolina and Michigan State played men's college basketball on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson in 2011.

In one way, I kind of wondered if some other tracks could come up with these one-off events. We've seen soccer-specific stadiums as well as baseball fields host college football games. I still hear of Daytona International Speedway wanting to host a college football game. One thing I wonder is... could tracks like Rockingham, whatever's left of North Wilkesboro, or certain other tracks possibly host these events? One thing these events would provide as positives is that there is business to them. People can go to these places and see some good action. Just something to think about.

Enjoy this new week of college football. Good luck to all of your teams.

Let's start a new week of college football! The big game this week is Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway. There will be beatin' and bangin' at Bristol... only on the inside football field. Last weekend was amazing. I bet you if you knew nothing about college football prior to last weekend's games, you'd find college football to be pretty cool. I personally think the first weekend of college football is the greatest because there's no NFL involvement trying to steal the weekend. This weekend, however, is different since the NFL season starts up while college football continues its season.

Go see a game. Even go TO a game. Regardless... enjoy this week. Good luck to all of your teams.

Everything is in place for the Battle at Bristol. The stage ion the backstretch pit road for tonights concert will be taken down before the game. Also it appears that maybe ESPN is filming something because there are 4 race cars in turns 3 and 4 of the race track.

Bristol.png

Then Army ROTC programs from both schools started running their respective game ball to Bristol Motor Speedway today,
http://tntoday.utk.edu/2016/09/08/army-rotc-cadets-run-game-day-ball-battle-bristol/

UCF just got robbed. One of their players got called for Targeting on a play that wasn't targeting and the replay upheld it. I really respect that the rule removes the bulk of the vicious dirty hits from the game and appreciate the rule for its safety aspect, but it's absolutely irritating when a player gets ejected for targeting when the hit they (the players) got flagged for wasn't even targeting in the first place.

NDSU's plan for 50 rushes doesn't look to be working yet but they've still taken an early 7-0 lead against Eastern Washington!

Back