College Football: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 314 comments
It has begun :lol:

FB_IMG_1484026674272.jpg

People, Clemson earned this one. I am extremely happy for Clemson finally getting over the hump. And yes- Clemson's resolve was unbelievable. People talk about Clemson "Clemsoning" on the big stage. But in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game, the Tigers won. This may have not been as weird as the Notre Dame at Texas game earlier this season, but this game between Alabama vs. Clemson was one to remember. I've wanted Clemson to win, but didn't pick them to. Again... I am extremely proud of Clemson on a job well done. It was almost as if the spirits of the 1981 Clemson Tigers were with the 2017 Clemson Tigers. Only thing Clemson probably wished is them not losing at home to Pittsburgh. They otherwise would have been undefeated.

I mostly stayed away from commenting just to let the moment sink in. Now it has basically sunk in for all of us. That was a great game to decide the National Championship in NCAA FBS. Really, congratulations to not only Clemson, but also Alabama. It now means Clemson will be the team everyone will want to be and beat. Ready for the pressure come next season, Clemson?

The trash talk page I mentioned earlier is trolling the hell out of Bama fans now because a bunch of them are crying about the refs in the game. Those same Bama fans told fans of other teams to stop crying about them, but here they are doing that after saying they wouldn't. It's comedic relief to see it.

The trash talk page I mentioned earlier is trolling the hell out of Bama fans now because a bunch of them are crying about the refs in the game. Those same Bama fans told fans of other teams to stop crying about them, but here they are doing that after saying they wouldn't. It's comedic relief to see it.

The irony is real

Dabo Swinney is a fine coach. However, most people have taken issue with his references to God in interviews. What do you think about his comments and these references?

I never cared for the term "Clemsoning". It made no sense as last year's game was really good and competitive. BUT, it should be dead now so all's well.
Dabo Swinney is a fine coach. However, most people have taken issue with his references to God in interviews. What do you think about his comments and these references?
It's a non-issue being brought up by people who think their head will explode if they don't 🤬 about something at all times.

Sporting organizations I've heard the same from: NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, NASCAR, and on, and on, and on. I'm not overtly religious, and hearing it so much gets a bit annoying due to my view on it. That said, at least they aren't being self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic 🤬 24/7 like the counter-point.

Didn't Colin Cowherd call Clemson frauds? Who's laughing now "Professional sports analyst"?
A fair chunk of what he says is legit, but when he's wrong...either he's convinced he's wrong or he'll go to the grave claiming he's still right. I used to like him, but I got tired of the "hot takes" all the time.

Looks like Cowherd more or less admitted he was wrong:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/01/watch_colin_cowherd_respond_to.html

"Tip of the cap to Dabo and his staff," Cowherd said on his show "The Herd" on Tuesday. "They played their best two games late.

"All I can say to Dabo Swinney is you're a Hell of a coach. You make college football better. You gave me 4 1/2 hours - the game was a tad bit long - but 4 1/2 hours of great entertainment. Your players showed such great character in the most crucial moments. I couldn't be happier for Clemson. I didn't buy them. I watched them lose almost seven times. I was watching when North Carolina State could've beat them at Clemson. ... But what they did last night was remarkable, great for the sport. They had great dignity.

"And I can take a punch."

Don't forget about Colin Cowherd calling North Dakota State as "Roast Beef Tech." We all know that Roast... uh, North Dakota State defeated Iowa in their house on a clutch game-winning field goal. Some people you just don't listen to. It's the classic "don't feed the troll" deal. Pay no mind to Colin Cowherd (or "Coward").

As a tradition of mine, I like to pay tribute to all National Champions of a certain college sport when the season is over. We normally discuss NCAA football and mostly NCAA FBS level football. However, I try to incorporate as many different levels of college football even though I don't mention them often. So here is my 2016 rendition of my Salute to Champions:

* NCAA FBS: Clemson (def. Alabama 35-31)
* NCAA FCS: James Madison (def. Youngstown State 28-14)
* NCAA Division 2: Northwest Missouri State (def. North Alabama 29-3)
* NCAA Division 3: Mary Hardin-Baylor (def. Wisconsin-Oshkosh 10-7)
* NAIA: Saint Francis (IN) (def. Baker (KS) 31-14)
* NJCAA: Garden City (def. Arizona Western 25-22)
* (any other champions not mentioned)

Remember- it's only name dropping if it all doesn't make sense. So all hail the champs across various leagues and divisions of college football.

We still are some time away from the NFL season ending and for the NFL Draft to begin, but it will be interesting seeing where some of the college talent will fill out the 2017 NFL Draft. Names like Jabrill Peppers (who I wanted to win the Heisman), T.J. Watt, Myles Garrett, and others have declared for the NFL Draft.

Now that the games that matter have concluded, it's all now about wondering how those wanting to go pro will go while also looking for solid High School talent to fill the shoes of outgoing talent. Time to get your recruiting game going, folks.

There are still people who even think the games should all be played out before handing out the Heisman. I am sort of in that crowd, but I am not too adamant about it. It does feel bad if you win the Heisman and end up playing one more game and having an absolute clunker.

There will be one less bowl game next year as San Diego had decided to end the Poinsettia Bowl, leaving BYU without a bowl affiliation for the next 2 years. San Diego is also looking at moving the Holiday Bowl to Petco Park in 2018.

Back