• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 57 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
We all are aware that the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic has changed our world significantly. Therefore, I am fairly cautious in discussing the 2020 season of college football. Will we even have a 2020 season? Maybe you are hopeful we get a 2020 season of collegiate football. On the other hand, you might be "shocked" if you are like ESPN College Football analyst Kirk Herbstreit, saying it would be "shocking" if we have NFL and/or college football this season. It is possible college football in 2020 will be nowhere near most of what any average day or night of college football is like. Especially considering the social distancing measures and such, I am uncertain we'll have fans pack every last seat of a football stadium while getting totally into their favorite teams. Even if we don't have a proper season of college football for the 2020 season, this thread still will be the thread to discuss all the goings on of college football for 2020.

I am aware we still have the 2020 NFL Draft going on, but I am preparing this thread of college football for anyone who wishes to discuss college football for the 2020 season. Heck, some people don't even care about the NFL Draft. So let's talk college football if you want to discuss!

The University of Houston suspended workouts as six players tested positive for COVID-19/Coronavirus. Houston and [the state of] Texas are among many places trying to re-open at a staggered pace.

I am hearing that Eli Manning's jersey will be retired at Ole Miss. Peyton Manning's brother came out pretty good in the NFL outside of Eli's days for the Ole Miss Rebels, even with his Super Bowl magic. Congratulations to Eli Manning on his accomplishments and for his retired number.

Various conferences have tried to do their best enforcing who gets to play in the wake of this pandemic. I think the SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference) has suggested their football teams to either commit to the Fall 2020 season or perhaps go into Spring 2021 with their football.

Whatever college football we get this season, if any, is going to be very interesting. PLEASE be careful, everyone.

I have a few notes to share regarding college football in 2020. I may have to edit it a few times to reflect updates, but here is what I've heard so far in regards to college football in 2020 despite this pandemic...

* The ACC has announced it will have a delayed start to its Fall sports, but football is not affected.

* Earlier this hour (5:00 PM Eastern), the Big Ten has announced all of its games in 2020 will be in-conference games. So certain non-conference matches, such as Michigan vs. Washington, have been cancelled.

* The Ivy League is the first conference to suspend all 2020 Fall sports- including football.

Again- if any new notes regarding college football in 2020 come up, I will update this post as much as needed.

The ACC and SEC have agreed to play conference-only schedules for 2020. By this mindset, the season will start September 26 for the SEC, and the SEC Championship would be on December 19. The ACC will be all one conference (no Atlantic or Coastal Divisions). Notre Dame is eligible to compete for the conference championship in the ACC.

Some other conferences are looking at Spring 2021 football seasons after suspending Fall/Autumn sports.

Folks, this is going to be a crazy deal to try to get in any kind of college football this year (or maybe into next year). So enjoy whatever college football you can enjoy this year. I also changed the title of this thread to reflect the possible madness...

The Big Ten became the first of the Power 5 conferences to cancel Fall/Autumn sports for 2020- including football. The MAC (Mid-American Conference) and Mountain West decided to also cancel its football season for Fall 2020. I hear the Mountain West is looking to Spring 2021 for football. Even the Pac-12 and possibly Big XII will cancel Fall 2020 football.

People, college football this upcoming season is in disarray because of COVID-19/Coronavirus concerns. It may be best for all of college football to go into Spring 2021 if this trend continues. There's even talk of a college football players' union wanting to be formed. Lot to unpack on this situation...

The Pac-12 made it official- no Fall 2020 football. They are considering football in the Spring at this point. The medical risk isn't worth it to try to get in a season of football to the Pac-12.

I'm going to be a cynical 🤬 and say that this isn't health driven. These schools that want to go are going to make more money if a season runs than from cancelling them.

Do not be surprised if most of the SEC, half the Big 12, Notre Dame, and any leftover teams make a Covid Championship out of this season.

It is being reported the Big XII will try to play football this Fall 2020. The Big XII took into consideration the players wanting to play. The conference also will try to play various other Fall sports. So it is right now the SEC and Big XII attempting to play football this Fall for what I know.

Saturdays in the Fall and Winter will stink without college football. However, at least some schools and conferences will try to make an effort to entertain you despite COVID-19/Coronavirus concerns.

More conferences pulled the plug on football in Fall 2020. Among the latest are the likes of the Southland Conference and the Big Sky. Both of which cancelled Fall 2020 football. I think even the University of Texas is looking to not only play football, but play with a limited capacity of fans in the stands.

[OMISSION] I believe the WAC also has cancelled Fall 2020 football. Most of these other conferences I have mentioned have also cancelled most Fall 2020 sports.

Let me try to address as many recent college football notes as possible.

* The Big Ten didn't want to play football in the Fall. Recently, though, the B1G may consider playing football starting in late November. The reported date is sometime around after Thanksgiving. I don't know how this is all going to play out, but if it does materialize, it will be interesting to see how the B1G will handle this season.

* In the ACC, Clemson says it will have a capacity of about 19K fans for games. Clemson is one of the most fun-to-watch teams at home. The ACC's "Death Valley" (as opposed to the "Death Valley" of the SEC (LSU)), won't be as rocking with very limited fan involvement, but it will be great that Clemson will allow such fans to be on site.

* Another ACC note of late was that the game between North Carolina State at Virgina Tech will be delayed by about two weeks after 22 people tested positive for COVID-19/Coronavirus. Instead of a September 12th game, it will be played on September 26.

* Seven Kansas State players tested positive for COVID-19/Coronavirus. This was a recent outbreak of the virus at K-State.

I don't know how this season is going to play itself out, but it's going to be quite a stretch playing football as well as dealing with the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. Enjoy whatever football you get to see this season.

Last night, I saw football for the first time since the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. There were High School football games played on ESPN last night. One was in Alabama followed by Utah. For Utah, it was the first state to play football since the pandemic, as there were games a week or two before. Fans were in the stands wearing masks and physically distanced ("social distancing" sounds wrong to me these days) cheering on their beloved teams. At least this gives us an idea of what football will look like once this pandemic (hopefully) calms down considerably.

So what does this have to do with this college football thread? Well tonight, there is the "FCS Kickoff" as the Austin Peay State Governors will play against the Bears of the University of Central Arkansas. We will get an idea of what football will be like post-pandemic. This may even provide a look at football in the pros. So be sure to watch ESPN tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern Time for a look at football as times seem to slowly get better and back to "the old normal."

ESPN College Gameday aired earlier today. I forgot to mention the teams that did decide to play college football will play today. As of the time of this post, it's halftime between Eastern Kentucky at Marshall.

Enjoy the college football games this weekend!

A lot of college football is coming your way today and tonight. The big one tonight is No. 1 Clemson going to Wake Forest to take on the Demon Deacons, who are thinking upset. A lot of games in the Big XII and ACC are coming your way. So get to enjoy some college football today and tonight!

College football musings coming up. Get ready!

* No problems for the top-ranked Clemson Tigers, as they whacked Wake Forest 37-13 at Wake Forest. Clemson was up 27-0 heading into the 2nd Half.

* The Ragin' Cajuns of the University of Louisiana-Lafayette knocked off the No. 23 Iowa State Cyclones 31-14. This was ULL's first victory against a Top 25 team. The result was surprising. To me, I was surprised more about the Ragin' Cajuns winning by that margin of victory more than ULL winning at Iowa State.

* Iowa State wasn't the only Big XII team that failed today. It was the Wolfpack of Arkansas State that knocked off the Kansas State Wildcats 35-31 in Manhattan, Kansas.

* 31-6 was the score in Chapel Hill, North Carolina; as the UNC Tar Heels downed the Syracuse Orange at home.

* No. 10 Notre Dame defeated Duke at Duke 27-13.

* A wild back-and-forth game between UTSA at Texas State led to UTSA winning 51-48 in Double OT.

Other notes...

* Two games postponed because of virus concerns: Houston at Memphis and Virginia at Virginia Tech. The U. of Houston will replace that spot by playing against Baylor. Various other games have also been postponed.

* Fewer than eight teams in the ACC competing may cause the conference to postpone its season.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games! Sorry I didn't post this on Saturday.

The Big Ten will not play football this Fall/Autumn... or so we thought. The B1G has changed course and decided to play football starting in mid-October. The official start date for Big Ten football for 2020 is October 24. Here is a report courtesy of Yahoo! Sports: https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-bi...lay-college-football-this-fall-125509398.html

So the B1G will play college football in 2020! We'll have to see how this all plays out.

It will be interesting to see how the SEC will handle the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic when they start up their football this weekend. Enjoy whatever college football you get to see this weekend!

Time for the SEC to get its shine on for the first time this 2020 season. Don't forget we have action all across college football, such as Texas at Texas Tech in the Big XII. Enjoy this week's action!

DOWN GOES OKLAHOMA! ...and... DOWN GOES LSU!

Kansas State pulled a big surprise in Norman, OK as the Kansas State Wildcats defeated the No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners 38-35. The defending champs, LSU started their 2020 season in the WRONG direction, as the No. 6-ranked Tigers lost 44-34 hosting the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

The Mountain West will play in Fall/Autumn 2020 starting October 24 and with an 8-game schedule. The title game is on December 19 for the MWC.

Congratulations to all winners from this week's games!

We are fully into college football time now that it is October. So why not enjoy a game or two, or three, or four, or more?! Enjoy whatever action you get to see today or tonight!

[OMISSION] The PAC-12 will start their 2020 football season starting November 7.

[UPDATE] Removed previous mention of Miami at Clemson. Clemson hosts Virginia tonight.

Last edited:
I'm watching the one and only NDSU game this year. It's not going well so far but it's still early.

A few college football musings to come. Get ready...

* DOWN GOES TEXAS! The No. 9-ranked Texas Longhorns fell at home 33-31 to the Horned Frogs of Texas Christian University. TCU stunned the Longhorns after Texas fumbled the ball inside the 5-yard line. Texas faces Oklahoma next week in the good old Red River Rivalry. Here was an interesting stat I read- TCU is 7-2 against Texas since joining the Big XII in 2012. Wow...

* No. 24 Pittsburgh is singing the blues today also as the Panthers fell at home 30-29 to the North Carolina State Wolfpack.

* No. 25 Memphis lost at SMU 30-27. The Tigers were bested in Dallas as the SMU Mustangs took care of business.

You know, this may be an unusual season of college football, but it is producing some unusual outcomes. College football can be chaotic to begin with. Congratulations to all of this week's winners!

After three attempts at starting the season were aborted, the University of Houston finally will play their first game of the season tonight when they host the Tulane Green Wave.

The big game this Saturday will be No. 8 Miami at No. 1 Clemson.

Enjoy this week's games!

A lot of games coming up today, including Texas vs. Oklahoma (Red River Rivalry) and even Miami at Clemson. There will be other games elsewhere also, so be sure to take in whatever college football you can watch this week.

By the way... this past Thursday, the University of Houston finally played their first game of the season and beat Tulane 49-31.

From Saturday...

My goodness! Did you see the No. 22 Texas vs. Oklahoma game today? This was an exciting back-and-forth match in which regulation didn't solve anything. It took FOUR Overtimes for Oklahoma to finally sink Texas 53-45. The deciding factor was Texas getting picked off in the end zone as Oklahoma left Dallas with the win. This is probably one of the best games of the season so far! Both teams go to 2-2 after this game. 98 combined points is the most in series history. Both teams have a Bye week for next week.

Big upset in College Station today! The No. 21 Texas A&M Aggies stunned the No. 4 Florida Gators 41-38 with a game-winning field goal. The Aggies and their [socially/physically-distanced] 12th Man tamed the Gators won with (in baseball speak) a walk-off field goal as time expired. This is one of the biggest wins for Texas A&M football.

Congratulations to everyone else who won this week- including Clemson dominating Miami at home!

Today for you racing fans is Petit Le Mans (as well as the Bathurst 1000 this weekend). There is also a lot of college football ready to take form today and tonight. Enjoy your Saturday!

This week is special if you're a Big Ten fan or a Mountain West fan. Both of these conferences will begin their 2020 college football campaigns. The FOX networks will have their coverage of Big Ten football action starting this week and this weekend. We'll also get a lot more Mountain West action. These two conferences are starting their season since delaying them because of this COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic.

Well... go B1G or go home.

A lot of college football action is ready to go for today and tonight! Most notably are the 2020 debut of the Big Ten and the Mountain West. Enjoy whatever college football you want to get into today/tonight!

Happy Halloween! Will teams playing today be tricked or treated? Find out when today's games go underway!

Trouble may be abound for Clemson as Trevor Laurence recently tested positive for COVID-19/Coronavirus. It is being reported the Clemson QB will miss this week's game followed by next week's game against Notre Dame.

Enjoy today's/tonight's games!

Back