College Football: 2020 (and Maybe Into 2021?) Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 57 comments
The big result from this past week was Texas beating No. 6 Oklahoma State 41-34 in Overtime in Stillwater, OK. Great win for the Longhorns.

Are you a Pac-12 fan? Want some MACtion in your life? Well guess what? Both are BACK, baby! The MAC is back along with the Pac-12. FOX will be hyping up the Pac-12 match when Southern California hosts Arizona State this Saturday.

Maybe the big game this week is No. 1 Clemson at No. 4 Notre Dame. It is being reported that Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence will miss one more game after being diagnosed with COVID-19/Coronavirus. This is going to be tough for Clemson. Even if you think either (or both) Clemson or Notre Dame are overrated, this is still a premier match between two top 5 schools.

I know the New Orleans Saints and Chicago Bears threw down on Sunday, but I learned today of Missouri and Florida starting a brawl at Halftime back on Saturday. The Florida Gators smashed the Missouri Tigers 41-17 in Gainesville, FL. Florida has a rivalry game this week against Georgia.

Enjoy whatever college football interests you this week.

Howdy! Normally, I'd get you excited for another Saturday of college football, especially with the Pac-12 and MAC joining the party. However, a number of Pac-12 games have been either cancelled or postponed thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus. We won't see California and Washington go at it. We also won't get Arizona vs. Utah.

Enjoy whatever college football you do get to see today, though.

A few college football musings to share. Check it...

* Did any of you see Liberty take down Virginia Tech? Liberty University is now 7-0 on the season after their 38-35. VT, meanwhile, just seems like a shadow of its former self.

* Go B1G or go home. Michigan is now below .500 through three games in a season for the first time since 2008. They were defeated at Indiana 38-21. The Hoosiers last defeated the Wolverines back in 1987.

* Well, Michigan failed... and so did Michigan State. Sparty spanked at Iowa 49-7.

* What happened to Penn State? Maryland came into Happy Valley and left sad faces on the Nittany Lions. Penn State failed HARD. Like, 35-19 hard.

* My beloved Houston Cougars failed hard today at Cincinnati. The No. 6 ranked Bearcats won 38-10.

* Michael Wilbon and Brent Musburger (among other Northwestern alum) must be proud since Northwestern won 21-13 hosting Nebraska.

* Easy money for Oklahoma hosting Kansas. The Jayhawks couldn't find the end zone as they were trounced 62-3.

* Oklahoma State gets their Bedlam rivals next. But before then, the Cowboys handled Kansas State 20-18.

* Big win for the Texas Longhorns hosting West Virginia. The Mountaineers lost at Texas 17-14.

* A Texas throwdown ensued in Fort Worth as the TCU Horned Frogs downed the Texas Tech Red Raiders 34-18.

* 56-24 was the score in Durham, North Carolina as the North Carolina Tar Heels dumped Duke at Duke.

* "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" in Jacksonville, Florida saw Florida beat Georgia 44-28. I got to say- I'm sold on Florida QB Kyle Trask. He became the first QB in SEC history to score at least four touchdowns in five straight games. He might be a future force in the NFL if indeed he goes to the NFL.

On deck at the time of this post is games like Clemson at Notre Dame and Stanford at Oregon. NBC is supposed to show the Clemson at Notre Dame game, but then move over the coverage to the USA Network to show instead Joe Biden's Presidential acceptance speech on NBC. So maybe there are some great things to come out to 2020. Congratulations to Joe Biden on President and Kamala Harris on Vice-President, by the way. Anyhow... congratulations to this week's winners!

[UPDATE] DOWN GOES CLEMSON! In a fierce contest, No. 4 Notre Dame upset No. 1 Clemson 47-40 in Double Overtime at Notre Dame. HUGE win for the Fighting Irish. QB Trevor Laurence was out all along after having tested positive for COVID-19. I knew this was going to be a huge game and a huge result regardless of who won. It was an awesome back-and-forth game!

Last edited:
Your college football weekend may be compromised thanks to a number of games being cancelled or postponed thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus concerns. Among others...

* #1 Alabama at LSU
* #3 Ohio State at Maryland
* Georgia at Missouri
* Rice at Louisiana Tech
* #15 Coastal Carolina at Troy
* North Texas at UAB
* Memphis at Navy
* Air Force at Wyoming
* Texas Southern at New Mexico State

If you do go out to any games that allow fans, please be careful and practice any and all protocols to stay safe. Thing about all of this is... the players and such still want to play despite the pandemic. So you have to applaud their courage to go through this season. However, college football may need to do a lot to try to get through the rest of this season at this point. I don't want to call this season something like "college football vs. COVID-19/Coronavirus." At the same time, I do want to see how college football tries to get through this situation.

Again- everyone... PLEASE be safe.

A lot of college football games have been either postponed or cancelled because of COVID-19/Coronavirus. Whatever college football you can check out today, enjoy the action! Be sure to take care of yourselves and others should you want to head out and about to see college football games.

Tonight is the first of the College Football Playoff rankings. In this most unusual of seasons, there is still a pack of teams that prove themselves to be No. 1 teams. So here is the first of a number of individual rankings. I will only focus on the top 6 in the rankings. The top four will be followed by the last two out. Let's do this!

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (November 24, 2020) ---
01: Alabama (7-0)
02: Notre Dame (8-0)
03: Clemson (7-1)
04: Ohio State (4-0)
-
05: Texas A&M (5-1)
06: Florida (6-1)

It will be interesting to see which teams can maintain their solid form or if some of those ranked 7th through 25th can burst into the CFP picture. Still a lot of season left with any number of twists and turns abound.

I am gravely concerned for Ohio State. Per Big Ten rules, they have to play their remaining two games to have a chance to play for the 2020 Big Ten championship. They gave up two games thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus issues. What some college football fans fear is that a team like Ohio State could end up missing the College Football Playoff thanks to the various complications of this pandemic.

Two shout outs coming up now.

Yesterday, Sarah Fuller became the first female player to play for a Power 5 school. She kicked off to start the 2nd Half for Vanderbilt when they played at Missouri. Now I didn't really want to celebrate this because I remember when field goal kicker Katie Hnida played for the University of Colorado. Colorado is a "Power 5" school, even back when Hnida played for Colorado back when it was in the Big XII. Colorado is still a "Power 5" school but now with the Pac-12. Still, cheers to Sarah Fuller. Sad news for Vandy is that the Commodores lost 41-0 at the Missouri Tigers.

One Buffalo Bull had a baller run yesterday. Buffalo went Beast Mode thanks to the hard work of Jaret Patterson. Buffalo delivered eight rushing touchdowns (tied for 1st in NCAA FBS), 409 yards rushing (2nd all-time), and scored 70 points (school record). Buffalo trashed Kent State at home 70-41.

Enjoy this week's games, which sadly will not include Wake Forest vs. Miami (COVID-19 issues). And don't forget to check into this thread after the latest College Football Playoff rankings will be revealed on Tuesday.

Let's look at the latest College Football Playoff rankings...

--- College Football Playoff (as of December 1, 2020) ---
1: Alabama (8-0)
2: Notre Dame (9-0) <<< automatically in 2020 ACC Title Game
3: Clemson (8-1)
4: Ohio State (4-0)
-
5: Texas A&M (6-1)
6: Florida (7-1)

Ohio State's ranking could be in jeopardy if they don't play enough games. A lot to be desired at this point.

The latest College Football Playoff rankings are coming up later tonight. However, it's some sad news as the No.4 Ohio State at Michigan game has been cancelled due to COVID-19/Coronavirus cases among the Michigan Wolverines team. This may be detrimental to Ohio State not playing enough games to be able to qualify for playing in the B1G Championship Game.

Again- the latest CFP rankings will come later tonight. Once the Top 6 are revealed, DO NOT wait for me to post. Just come on in and discuss if you like regarding the latest rankings.

Ohio State shouldn't be eligible for the Championship game and exceptions shouldn't be made for them to do so. That's my take.

Let's look at the latest College Football Playoff rankings...

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of December 8, 2020) ---
1: Alabama (9-0)
2: Notre Dame (10-0)
3: Clemson (9-1)
4: Ohio State (5-0)
-
5: Texas A&M (7-1)
6: Florida (8-1)

So Ohio State is still in. However, looks like they are going to need some help from some other teams to stay in the Top 4. But... those are your latest rankings.

Ohio State shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 6. They’ve played 3 less games than most of the teams in the top 25, and their only notable win was against Indiana, who aren’t even in the top 10.

You know, I'm getting the impression like the College Football Playoff NEEDS Ohio State. Perhaps the committee thinks Ohio State is legit enough despite playing less games than Alabama, Notre Dame, and Clemson. They also somehow seem convinced they are better than Texas A&M and Florida. I'm not saying I agree with the committee, but I do feel skittish how Ohio State is getting praise despite playing fewer games than everyone else.

This is a wacky season as we know it. You got games cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19/Coronavirus. This is the biggest factor of the 2020 college football season other than the actual in-game action. There's still a lot to negotiate through this whole ordeal.

I'll have to wonder how far Florida will fall from No. 6 and who might take over after the Gators' fail last night. LSU downed Florida last night as Florida failed to hit a 51-yard field goal late. Tune in on Tuesday to find out the latest College Football Playoff rankings.

In addition to coaches getting canned, former U. of Houston coach Kevin Sumlin was recently fired at Arizona after the Arizona Wildcats got destroyed 70-7 at home to their rival Arizona State Sun Devils.

The penultimate College Football Playoff rankings were unveiled earlier tonight. Here are your top four followed by the first two out:

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of December 15, 2020) ---
1: Alabama (10-0)
2: Notre Dame (10-0)
3: Clemson (9-1)
4: Ohio State (5-0)
-
5: Texas A&M (7-1)
6: Iowa State (8-2)

The final rankings will be shown on December 20. Remember that Clemson vs. Notre Dame is this weekend, so that could go a long way to determine what the Top 4 could be like. Clemson failed last time as Trevor Lawrence was battling COVID-19/Coronavirus.

A number of teams have accepted Bowl Game bids. Some Bowl games, though, may be cancelled or may have different opponents due to confirmed COVID-19/Coronavirus cases. Other than this, enjoy this week's games!

Enjoy this weekend's games. And don't forget- the final College Football Playoff rankings will be shown tomorrow.

Today is the final College Football Playoff ranking for the 2020 season. We will learn of the four best teams followed by the first two that are good... but not good enough for a National Championship. So let's take a look...

--- College Football Playoff Rankings: Final ---
1: Alabama (11-0)
2: Clemson (10-1)
3: Ohio State (6-0)
4: Notre Dame (10-1)
-
5: Texas A&M (8-1)
6: Oklahoma (8-2)

And there you have it.

Elsewhere, it is being said that the Rose Bowl Game will be moved from California to here in Texas due to COVID-19/Coronavirus issues. Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said he wouldn't want Notre Dame to play at the Rose Bowl if families are not allowed to attend the game. Restrictions are a bit loose here in Texas, so this would be a plus for the Fighting Irish.

College Football Bowl Game season is coming! Be sure to enjoy all the postseason action!

The 2020 Heisman Trophy finalists have been announced today. Your Heisman finalists are as follows:

* Mac Jones (QB, Alabama)
* Trevor Laurence (QB, Clemson)
* DeVonta Smith (WR, Alabama)
* Kyle Trask (QB, Florida)

The Heisman Trophy ceremony will be held virtually at ESPN's headquarters on January 5, 2021 at 7:00 PM Eastern. Congratulations to these four finalists.

Elsewhere, my Houston Cougars fell to the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in the New Mexico Bowl (played in Frisco, TX) 28-14. Houston finishes the 2020 season 3-5. Hawaii will finish 5-4.

Happy New Year!

All of you good college football mates of mine will get to enjoy some College Football Playoff action today. In mere moments, it will be the Alabama Crimson Tide taking on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the Rose Bowl (moved to Arlington, TX). The nightcap will have the Clemson Tigers meeting the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Enjoy today's action!

the Ohio State Buckeyes.
THE Ohio State Buckeyes, WOOOOOOOO!

I did not expect that result. Myself and all my friends were nervous as hell, thinking that because of our lack of play this season we'd be dominated by Clemson once again, but we pulled it out pretty impressively. The officiating was fair which means this game was all down to the teams. And I think the 49-28 score was even closer than the actual gameplay suggested - at points I was wondering if we were getting lucky because our play wasn't just good, it was dominant. The Buckeyes dominated the run game, creating gabs for Sermon to run nearly 200 yards (against a perennial playoff team), and our receivers completed several long ball opportunities, both wide open and through impressively tight gaps.

I don't really know what to say honestly but I'm going to watch the game again to analyze it more. I was pretty ripped and excited. All I know is we won, and WE WANT BAMA! I've been waiting since my first year of college at OSU for this opportunity to come again...

Last edited:
Methinks we have a National Championship game set. So who trumped who? Quick report:

* #1 Alabama vs. #4 Notre Dame (31-14; Alabama)
* #2 Clemson vs. #3 Ohio State (49-28; Ohio State)

So amid fears of Ohio State not getting postseason consideration thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus and not playing enough games, the Buckeyes have a chance to tame the Alabama Crimson Tide. There is no 3rd Place Game, so Notre Dame and Clemson are done for 2020. We shall see if the Buckeyes or Fighting Irish will become National Champions this season.

If my Xfinity X1 connection didn't spaz out on me trying to watch TV, I probably would have seen the remainder of the Ohio State vs. Clemson game. I did get to mostly see Alabama run over Notre Dame. I want to thank Keef for the update, as I saved some time from trying to look up Yahoo! Sports or something for scores (which I usually do).

Tell it, GTPlanet- Alabama or Ohio State for the 2020 season National Championship?

Tonight is the Heisman Trophy presentation for the 2020 season. This season's Heisman winner will be one of the following:

* Mac Jones (QB, Alabama)
* Trevor Laurence (QB, Clemson)
* DeVonta Smith (WR, Alabama)
* Kyle Trask (QB, Florida)

If you will be watching tonight, enjoy the ceremony, and congratulations to the 2020 season Heisman winner.

Some consider the Heisman as one of the greatest single accomplishments in college football. Some others call it the most overrated single achievement. Either way... meet your Heisman Trophy winner for 2020:

DeVonta Smith!

D. Smith becomes the first wide receiver to win the Heisman since Desmond Howard of Michigan won it in 1991.

Another news note to pass along is that Ohio State is dealing with some COVID-19/Coronavirus issues but still expected to play against Alabama a week from Monday. I'm hoping things don't get worse with that.

[UPDATE] I meant Smith, not Freeman! WR, nor RB. Changes made.

Last edited:
Some consider the Heisman as one of the greatest singla accomplishments in college football. Some others call it the most overrated single achievement. Either way... meet your Heisman Trophy winner for 2020:

DeVonta Smith!

D. Smith becomes the first running back to win the Heisman since Desmond Howard of Michigan won it in 1991.

Another news note to pass along is that Ohio State is dealing with some COVID-19/Coronavirus issues but still expected to play against Alabama a week from Monday. I'm hoping things don't get worse with that.

[UPDATE] I meant Smith, not Freeman! Changes made.

DeVonta Smith is a wide receiver, not a running back.

Glad you posted here... I forgot to mention we have a National Championship to be decided tonight. Either Alabama or Ohio State will finish undefeated. The action begins in Miami Gardens, FL.

Enjoy tonight's National Championship game, and congratulations to the NCAA FBS National Champion for the 2020 season!

Well, if you thought Ohio State shouldn't be in the title game, you were proven right. Alabama smashed Ohio State 52-24 last night. The Buckeyes went in 7-0 and will finish 7-1. Alabama finishes at 13-0.

I think simply wanting to play rather than stay home is an accomplishment. Surely a huge risk in the wake of COVID-19/Coronavirus, but at least these young players helped provide entertaining distractions. So I want to honor and salute all college football players this season. Hopefully 2021 will be a bit more towards *the old normal*.

There probably isn't much more to discuss about the 2020 college football season. However, I think some conferences postponed some of their college football until late Winter and Spring. So maybe a little extra discussion of this season can be discussed. Otherwise, you're free to discuss this past season.

Back