College Football: 2021 Season (including Preseason)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 72 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
I held off on the college football discussion because a number of NCAA FCS schools decided to play their football in the Spring. So I decided to make the 2021 season's thread include any college football among the FCS schools. Why is there so much of early college football? It's because COVID-19/Coronavirus made some schools consider playing in the Spring of 2021, rather than completely abandon college football.

Let us not forget what all will lead up to the proper start of the 2021 season of college football. Perhaps as we the world tries to get back to *the old normal* after COVID-19/Coronavirus threw several monkey wrenches into our lives, this thread will be the discussion for all of college football this season. Back on top of the NCAA FBS mountain is the University of Alabama. Can the Crimson Tide repeat as Champions, or will another school defeat them? We shall find out this season!

Let's talk college football for 2021!

Wow- the Bearkats of Sam Houston State took down the North Dakota State Bison 24-20 today in the FCS Playoffs! I know one NDSU fan on GTPlanet must feel sad right about now about the NDSU Bison being DONE...

Sam Houston State won the 2021 NCAA FCS National Championship today. The Bearkats of SHSU defeated the South Dakota State Jackrabbits 23-21. This is the first football National Championship for Sam Houston State. I got love for SHSU, congrats, Bearkats!

Here is more information regarding the latest College Football Playoff meeting.

A proposal was made so that the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six highest-ranked teams will all make the College Football Playoff. So it a move that would make the four-team college football playoff expand to 12 teams. Basically all of the Power 5 conference schools are basically assured a Playoff spot along with whomever is the highest-ranked schools of a non-Power 5 Conference. So if the highest-ranked conference champion is from (for example) The American Athletic Conference or the Mountain West, then it would get in based on whomever is ranked higher.

Suffice to say, this format does seem very interesting. I always said if you put the Playoff at 8 teams, PERFECT. This one, though, puts together 12 teams. I am interested to see how this all plays out if and when this is all implemented.

Here is more information regarding the latest College Football Playoff meeting.
I appreciate your dedication but I can tell you're absolutely speechless after today's news.

Texas and Oklahoma are (that's an affirmative) leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC and will publicly announce their intent like...tomorrow. SEC will hold a vote to allow them in in about a week.

TAMU is pissed.

Baylor is pissed.

OK State is pissed.

Maryland takes no prisoners.

WV threatens lawsuits on Twitter which seems like a WV thing to do.

The Texas legislature is up in arms.

Nobody knew this was happening.

Kansas and likely Iowa State might be in talks to join the Big 10.

Big 10 says nobody is talking about anything.

The PAC-12 also wasn't actively looking for new members.

Nobody knows what's going on.

This is the death of the Big 12 and really bad news for any school left in it. They've been working on this move in secret for about six months and just sprung this on everybody...there have been rumblings of the news but nothing suggesting anybody expected this on a random Friday. Thus far, no Big 12 school has indicated any loyalty to the Big 12 conference, and because their two cash cows are leaving it seems to relegate them to G5 (G6?) status. Big 12 is dying and it's every school for themselves right now. Especially with the recent NIL news which was a serious blow to G5 schools, it really shows how much schools like TT, Kansas, and Baylor clung to Texas and Oklahoma for media money and simply won't be able to gather it themselves. Wow. The saga is ongoing and more reactions from schools and conferences are coming out by the hour.

Last edited:
Some are saying this is the death of college sports, let alone college football. I'll still be watching the games, but this is complete chaos.

And we've got less than two months until the season begins. Holy cow. I'm sure Monday will bring more news, hopefully it brings more news.

Edit: I wonder what the political implications of this move are. Not football politics, I mean politics politics. For example, every team now in the SEC absolutely encompasses the idea of "South". That's an undeniable fact, especially when OU and UT talk about how the SEC "fits their brand" and culture better. And in my opinion its impossible to talk about the South without talking politics. That argument could also be made about the PAC-12 - people are already joking about that with respect to where TCU and Baylor will go. Obviously Notre Dame does just fine by itself - their brand is powerful enough to make it work. TCU and Baylor basically don't exist outside of Texas.

Last edited:
It's official- Texas and Oklahoma are set to join the SEC outside of the Big XII. Texas A&M joined the SEC a while back from the Big XII. Now, their rivals from Austin will join along with their former conference foe from Norman. Some think this is the slow, methodical end of college sports as I mentioned previously.

And yes, @Keef , I am pretty stunned about this. Conference realignment in itself is a conundrum. It seemed confusing for Nebraska to join the Big Ten and Missouri to join the SEC. Either there is tension among the Big XII administration, or the SEC having a viable enough package to where ex-Big XII teams want to join the SEC. I always considered the SEC to be the league of mostly central states as well as some Midwestern and some Mountain schools. Though, we've seen Colorado depart from the Big XII to the Pac-12. At one point, I even heard the Pac-12 was considering adding Texas. Collegiate conferences are crazy.

We still have a long way to go before the 2021 season kicks off, but there's already loads of madness... and I ain't talking March Madness...

@JohnBM01 I read an article that Disney and thus ESPN may have a lot to do with this. Something about ESPN owning media rights to the SEC and already owning a portion of the B1G as well.

@JohnBM01 I read an article that Disney and thus ESPN may have a lot to do with this. Something about ESPN owning media rights to the SEC and already owning a portion of the B1G as well.
NCAA effectively died once NIL was introduced. This is beating a dead horse. The Big 12 was already teetering when they had 10 teams. Now they and the PAC-12 are nervous that both might be gone in a few years.

I am shocked to learn that we lost Bobby Bowden. He was one of the greatest coaches in all of college football. Bobby Bowden was the coach who turned Florida State University into a college football powerhouse. He had 377 career wins, 2 National Championships at Florida State, and 21 Bowl Game wins as coach of the Seminoles. He was inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2006. He died today at the age of 91. My condolences go out to all who known and loved Bobby Bowden.

On a lighter note, ESPN is touting that college football returns on August 28. So get psyched for the upcoming season!

An alliance was formed between the ACC, Big Ten, and the Pac-12 to go against the SEC. Some think this may be the beginning of a downward spiral for college sports. Here is an article on this "alliance" on Yahoo! Sports: https://sports.yahoo.com/college-sports-is-at-war-with-itself-202913507.html

From simply skimming this article, this sounds to me like the SEC is being respected as the premier conference in all of college football, and at least the other Power 5 conferences (excluding the Big XII) want to do something about it. I'm not feeling this nonsense much at all if you ask me. But what say you, though?

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK! A lot of college football is coming up today and tonight. Last year was quite hectic at the height of the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. Things should be a bit more quiet and contained a year later with more people vaccinated (despite the surge of the Delta variant). Also, we'll see how the off-season chaos has affected the realm of college football overall. Enjoy some college football this weekend, folks!

Love you some college football? Well, we got a fairly stacked weekend of action coming up. FOX will show a Big Ten match with #4 Ohio State at Minnesota to be played at 7:30 PM Eastern. Or as I like to say, "Go B1G or go home." Things will get busy here in Houston this Saturday night with a game between Texas Tech vs. Houston to be played at NRG Stadium. Then at BBVA Stadium (where the MLS' Houston Dynamo play soccer at), we have the Labor Day Classic between rivals Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M.

Enjoy some college football this weekend!

Reports indicate that the Big XII is considering four schools for expansion. Those four schools are as follows: Brigham Young University (BYU), the University of Central Florida (UCF), Cincinnati, and Houston. I've long imagined Houston in the Big XII. However, the appeal to join the Big XII is not the same with Texas and Oklahoma about to join the SEC. So you don't have that old Southwestern Conference appeal like back in the day with Houston, Texas, Oklahoma, and others.

I am so much on regions that I felt UCF would be a peculiar fit for the Big XII. The Big XII is mostly some southwestern schools, some Heartland teams, and a few midwestern teams. That all changed when the Big XII put in West Virginia. We'll see how this all plays out.

Hey now! College football is pretty awesome, right? PLENTY of games on today and tonight! The big one for tonight is #5 Georgia vs. #3 Clemson. Got to love a top 5 battle. Georgia has to deliver against a powerful and potent team like Clemson.

Enjoy whatever college football you get to see today/tonight! And can you believe last night that FCS school and national champion runners-up, South Dakota State, defeated Colorado State? Wow...

Texas Tech wrecked my Houston Cougars by waking the heck up in the 2nd Half. Houston could have won, but they 🤬 up big time and ended up losing 38-21. Too many turnovers by UH in the 2nd Half made the Texas Tech Red Raiders blow away the Cougars. If/When the University of Houston joins the Big XII, they'll have to deal with Texas Tech among others. Great shame.

Elsewhere (no scores mentioned)...

* Marshall wrecked Navy at Navy.

* Penn State knocked off Wisconsin in Madison, WI.

* Fordham got hammered by Nebraska in Nebraska.

* Alabama had no problem with the University of Miami.

* Oklahoma handled Tulane, as the game had to be moved to the U. of Oklahoma thanks to Hurricane Ida.

* Michigan hammered Western Michigan at home.

Congratulations to all other winners this week, including all games before and after this post!

I learned of a new team in college football just now. Long Island University, which I known for the Blackbirds, recently re-branded by unifying two different LIU schools. The Blackbirds are now the LIU Sharks. The Sharks play a football game today at the Mountaineers of West Virginia University. LIU has been the Sharks since 2019 or so.

Some other games to be played today/tonight:
  • Texas A&M at Colorado
  • Stanford at USCal
  • Houston at Rice
  • Washington at Michigan
  • Navy at Air Force
  • Iowa at Iowa State

Enjoy some college football this weekend!

Wow.

20210911_171356.jpg

Looking for a game tonight? Well, tonight on ESPN, we have the Ohio Bobcats at the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns. I know nowadays it's simply Louisiana, but I always known this as Louisiana-Lafayette, to go with Louisiana-Monroe.

Enjoy all college football action this weekend!

ESPN College Gameday had Danica Patrick making Saturday Selections. Yeah- remember Danica? Danica made some decent picks for someone who says she's more into the NFL than college. Trading racing skills for college football skills. One of the big games coming up is Notre Dame vs. Wisconsin played at Soldier Field in Chicago, IL.

Enjoy some college football today and tonight!

Some musings from this past weekend...

* There was a stunner in Minneapolis as the Falcons of Bowling Green State knocked off the Minnesota Golden Gophers. It was a 14-10 victory for the BGSU Falcons.

* It was 43-13 in Chicago as the Notre Dame Fighting Irish smashed the Wisconsin Badgers. Brian Kelly passed the great Knute Rockne for most wins as coach of Notre Dame.

* #9 Clemson was downed at North Carolina State 27-21 in Double Overtime. Clemson's possible playoff hopes may be dashed even with a long season yet to go.

* Some of the ESPN College Gameday crew picked #16 Arkansas to defeat #7 Texas A&M, and the Razorbacks defeated the TAMU Aggies 20-10. The Aggies' 11-game winning streak comes to an end.

* It was Baylor stunning No. 14 Iowa State 31-29 in Waco. The Bears took out the Cyclones from Ames, IA this past Saturday.

* My Houston Cougars held serve at home defeating the Navy Midshipmen 28-20.

I hope you all enjoyed this past weekend of college football.

[UPDATE] Forgot BGSU at MIN score. Changes made.

Last edited:
My Houston Cougars were not picked to win at the Tulsa Golden Hurricane based one local radio show. As if to say they were going to get wrecked. Well... we won 45-10. So take that! Huzzah!

Anyhow, I hope you lovely GTPlaneteers get to enjoy some college football today and tonight! Congratulations to all winners from this week, even including Virginia's win at Miami!

Musing time.

* Stanford knocks off #3 Oregon at Stanford. However, I read on Yahoo! Sports that there was a controversial moment late leading to Stanford's 31-24 Overtime win over Oregon.

* The No. 7 Cincinnati Bearcats defeated the #9 Notre Dame Fighting Irish 24-13. This is becoming one of the greatest seasons in U. of Cincinnati history. This would seem impossible in the past with Cincy defeating Notre Dame.

* Top 25 NCAA FBS teams currently undefeated as of the time of this post: Alabama, Georgia, Penn State, Iowa, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, BYU, Michigan, Coastal Carolina, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, and Wake Forest.

I hope you enjoyed the games this week.

We got a lot of college football action today and tonight. Today, Texas and Oklahoma face each other once again in football. The Texas Longhorns and the Oklahoma Sooners have battled each other for decades, and the latest Red River Showdown will happen today. Oklahoma is 5-0 in 2021 and 6th ranked, and Texas is 4-1 and 21st ranked. Please enjoy this and any other college football action today/tonight!

Alabama lost so Saturday decides who will lead the SEC with Kentucky vs Georgia. Whoever wins that matchup should be the clear favorite to win the national championship.

What a day to be an Aggie enjoyer. All the people on social media trashing A&M over "wasting money on Fisher" must be choking on their words. Now, the Aggies don't have any excuses for any other losses. Still, makes me wonder where we'd be now if we didn't have that incredibly disappointing game against Miss State.

In regards to the SEC standings, I wouldn't be so sure about Kentucky getting to the National Championship, let alone the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see them undefeated currently, and hope that program starts to thrive more often, but they're not normally in this position. Even if Kentucky knocks off Georgia, I don't see them winning against Alabama in the SEC Championship. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

You know, folks, I'm going to be honest. I was thinking Texas A&M fell off even with a top-level coach like Jimbo Fisher. While I didn't see Alabama at Texas A&M, I am very proud of the Aggies in pulling off the win. I do tend to agree Texas A&M probably should be able to beat almost anybody now after knocking off Alabama in College Station.

I DID, however, see another great game. Texas was ballin' against Oklahoma in the Red River Showdown. Unfortunately for the Longhorns, Oklahoma rallied from behind down 28-7 at one point to end up winning 55-48. Possible playoff hopes are basically dashed for Texas with their second loss of the season. Oklahoma, meanwhile, improved to 6-0.

Well, now... look who's top dog in college football! Or should I say... top dogs in college football. Yes- for the first time in nearly 40 years, the University of Georgia Bulldogs are the top-ranked team in NCAA FBS college fotoball. Here is your Top 25 as of the time of this post:

--- NCAA FBS Top 25 (as of October 11, 2021) ---

(! =currently undefeated))

01 - Georgia! (6-0)
02 - Iowa! (6-0)
03 - Cincinnati! (5-0)
04 - Oklahoma (6-0)
05 - Alabama (5-1)
06 - Ohio State (5-1)
07 - Penn State (5-1)
08 - Michigan! (6-0)
09 - Oregon (4-1)
10 - Michigan State! (6-0)
11 - Kentucky! (6-0)
12 - Oklahoma State! (5-0)
13 - Ole Miss (4-1)
14 - Notre Dame (5-1)
15 - Coastal Carolina (6-0)
16 - Wake Forest! (6-0)
17 - Arkansas (4-2)
18 - Arizona State (5-1)
19 - BYU (5-1)
20 - Florida (4-2)
21 - Texas A&M (4-2)
22 - North Carolina State (4-1)
23 - SMU! (6-0)
24 - San Diego State! (5-0)
25 - Texas (4-2)
(also getting Top 25 votes: Auburn, Clemson, Baylor, UTSA, Mississippi State, Kansas State, Air Force, Appalachian State, and Pittsburgh)

On a personal level, I always think of my late GTPlanet friend FoolKiller whenever Kentucky does well. I'm sure he'd be happy seeing the Kentucky Wildcats both undefeated and with an amazing record in football. Likewise, I also think of our illustrious leader of GTPlanet, @Jordan with the U. of Kentucky's success. Many of the teams in the Top 25 are teams that may not even scratch the FBS Top 25 about 5, 10, maybe even 15 years ago. I mostly am referring to Coastal Carolina and their success. Then too, not many programs today were around then. We used to not have schools like UTSA, North Carolina-Charlotte, South Alabama, Campbell, Mercer, Houston Baptist, and some others not with proper football programs. So we've come a good way since.

Still a lot of season to go. College football madness cooking like mad. Get in on it!

Last edited:
On a personal level, I always think of my late GTPlanet friend FoolKiller whenever Kentucky does well. I'm sure he'd be happy seeing the Kentucky Wildcats both undefeated and with an amazing record in football. Likewise, I also think of our illustrious leader of GTPlanet, @Jordan with the U. of Kentucky's success.
Cheers, John, and yes it feels quite unusual to be this hyped up about football season, but this team has really been exciting to watch. There is so much enthusiasm for basketball that there has always been a lot of support for the football team as well, and now that they have the success to match it, it's really a lot of fun.

Our game next week with #1 Georgia already feels like the most anticipated football matchup in the school's history. I don't think we'll win, but hopefully we can give them a good game.

Back