College Football: 2021 Season (including Preseason)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 72 comments
GTPlanet... we got a LOT of big matches this weekend. Let me do a little rundown.

* Now the top dogs in the nation, the No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs will host the No. 11 Kentucky Wildcats. Kentucky is 6-0 on the season. It would be pandemonium in Lexington if the Wildcats knock off the Bulldogs. We'll have to see how Georgia handles No. 1 pressure.

* The Iowa Hawkeyes are No. 2 in the nation, and they'll be hosting Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers. Iowa came off of downing Penn State at home last Saturday. They will now try to take down the Boilermakers.

* Third in the nation are the Cincinnati Bearcats. They'll host the Golden Knights of the University of Central Florida (UCF). The Bearcats have never been better in its long history. The Bearcats will try to improve to 6-0 on the season with a win.

* Fresh off its wild game against rivals Texas, the No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners will welcome the TCU Horned Frogs.

* After losing at previously unranked Texas A&M (TAMU now No. 21 ranked), the now No. 5 Alabama Crimson Tide will be at the Mississippi State Bulldogs. Another loss for Alabama means they'll basically have to win the SEC Championship to possibly have a National Championship chance.

Every aforementioned game except for Kentucky at Georgia will be on the ESPN/ABC networks. The Kentucky at Georgia game will be on CBS. Enjoy all college football action this weekend, GTPlaneteers!

Time for some musings.

* The No. 11 Kentucky Wildcats was throttled by No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs 30-13. Kentucky undefeated no more. Sorry, Jordan...

* The Purdue Boilermakers went into Iowa and defeated the No. 2 Hawkeyes 24-7. Cheers to Dolph Drago's Boilermakers!

* The No. 3 Cincinnati Bearcats had no problem with the UCF Golden Knights 56-21.

* The No. 4 Oklahoma Sooners battled the TCU Horned Frogs at home, and Oklahoma 52-31. They have won 15 straight games- the longest active streak in NCAA FBS.

* It was a 49-9 win for the No. 5 Alabama Crimson Tide on the road at Mississippi State Bulldogs.

* Michigan State is 7-0 now after winning at Indiana 20-15.

* Texas had a lead and lost it last weekend vs. Oklahoma. Same story this week against No. 12 Oklahoma State at home, losing 32-24.

* Baylor upset the No. 19 BYU Cougars at home. The Bears did real good.

* Amid the woes of the LSU Tigers, they took down the No. 20 Florida Gators at home 49-42.

* It's the Tiger Bowl! The Texas Southern Tigers fell at the Grambling State Tigers 34-20.

* The Southern Jaguars defeated the Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions 34-7.

* I think Rhode Island was previously undefeated. The Rams lost today at the Towson Tigers and lost BAD- 28-7.

* The Lions of Southeastern Louisiana tamed the visiting Houston Baptist Huskies 61-24.

* The real reason why I wanted to post FCS updates was to impress a certain GTPlaneteer. :) The North Dakota State Bison blanked the Illinois State Redbirds 20-0 on the road.

Congratulations to all winners from this week!

[UPDATE] I meant to say "Kentucky UNDEFEATED no more."

Last edited:
Can't say I was too surprised at the result of our game. Georgia is an amazing team — I'm just glad we didn't completely fold and scored two touchdowns on them. :lol:

* The real reason why I wanted to post FCS updates was to impress a certain GTPlaneteer. :) The North Dakota State Bison blanked the Illinois State Redbirds 20-0 on the road.
🤘

Earlier today, the longest game in NCAA FBS history happened in State College, PA; as the No. 7 Nittany Lions hosted the unranked Illinois Fighting Illini. The game ended 20-18 in nine Overtimes. A rule was implemented to where if a game went into three or more Overtimes, that each Overtime session would be a two-point conversion fest. It's almost basically a gridiron version of place kick shootouts in soccer. Interesting new rule producing some weird effects.

I have some musings to share.

* A couple of unbeatens fell this past weekend. First, it was Michigan State downing Michigan 37-33. Both were undefeated, and it was the Spartans downing their rival Wolverines. It was a different story in Houston. The undefeated SMU Mustangs fell at home to my beloved Houston Cougars 44-37. The big play for Houston was a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown with 17 seconds left in the game.

* Apparently, my Coogs hit the Top 25. Currently 20th in the Nation after the latest polls. Good news for UH is that we don't have to face Cincinnati this season. We should get some of the first College Football Playoff rankings soon.

* Florida-Georgia line. I think if Georgia beat Florida and if Kentucky lost at Mississippi State, Georgia would clinch an SEC Championship game berth. Georgia won 34-7, and Mississippi State beat No. 18 Kentucky 31-17.

Welcome to November, GTPlaneteers!

I completely forgot to report on the latest College Football Playoff rankings! Let me make amends by showing you the first slate of CFP rankings:

(! = currently undefeated)

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of: November 2, 2021) ---
01 - Georgia!
02 - Alabama
03 - Michigan State!
04 - Oregon
~
05 - Ohio State
06 - Cincinnati!

Cincinnati is ranked 2nd in the AP Polls, but they are one of the First Two Out in th CFP rankings. Maybe Cincinnati can work to try to impress the CFP committee. Still a lot of major games to be played before we can think about who will be among the Playoff teams for this season.

A couple of upsets happened as of the time of this post. It was the Tar Heels of North Carolina upsetting No. 9 Wake Forest Demon Deacons by the score of 58-55. Wake Forest quietly was 8-0 on the season heading into this game. A much lower scoring game happened in Minneapolis as the No. 20 Minnesota Golden Gophers lost 14-6 to the visiting Illinois Fighting Illini.

The No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs had no problem with Missouri. The Bulldogs downed the Missouri Tigers 43-6.

Congratulations to all of this week's winners!

[UPDATE] Michigan State is undefeated no more! The Purdue Boilermakers downed the No. 3 Michigan State Spartans 40-29 at Purdue. Purdue is now 6-3 on the regular season. Purdue embarrassed (then) No. 2 Iowa on the road 24-7. Maybe Purdue should be taken more seriously?

Last edited:
Cal Bears v USC Trojans has been canceled due to lack of player availability for Cal. As a result, USC is rewarded a win.

Wow. That's sad, Blitz24. Player shortages is a big deal. I think one NCAA Division 3 school cancelled their entire season because of not having enough players a few years ago.

Here are the latest College Football Playoff rankings...

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of: November 9, 2021) ---
01 - Georgia!
02 - Alabama
03 - Oregon
04 - Ohio State
~
05 - Cincinnati!
06 - Michigan

Michigan State's fall from grace has knocked them completely out of the CFP and moved up their rivals. Cincinnati still has not impressed the CFP committee to be in the Top 4. Everybody still looking up at Georgia atop the NCAA FBS mountain.

Still a long ways to go. The playoff picture will be complete in December. Hopefully your favorite team(s) will be part of the Top 4 at regular season's end.

Please Purdue, continue the slaughter of top 5 teams when y’all play Ohio State. I’m tired of that program getting a free ride to the CFP because of being undefeated despite a weak schedule.

Please Purdue, continue the slaughter of top 5 teams when y’all play Ohio State. I’m tired of that program getting a free ride to the CFP because of being undefeated despite a weak schedule.
Honestly, TetsuKobura, if Purdue knocks off Ohio State, I don't care what the College Football Playoff committee thinks, I'm putting them in the CFP Top 6. You can't be mediocre record-wise, yet somehow defeat No. 2 and No. 3 in NCAA FBS. It means you're doing something right even seen as a spoiler. Or if/when the CFP goes to eight teams, Purdue would be in either the Top 8 or even one of the First 2 Out.

This is November, and this is where college football begins to get crazy. Stub your toes too much at this point, and your championship hopes could be wasted. So you got to get it done at this time of year.

Here are some takeaways from this past weekend...

* Kansas beating Texas is common in basketball (men or women). However, Kansas defeated Texas in FOOTBALL this past weekend 57-56 in Overtime. Kansas winning on the road is almost as rare as the seeing the Hale-Bopp Comet.

* #8 Oklahoma went into their match at #13 Baylor 27-14.

* Top-ranked Georgia hammered Tennessee 41-17 in Knoxville, TN.

* #15 Ole Miss upset the #11 Texas A&M Aggies at home 29-19.

Time to go B1G or go home...

* Purdue failed to knock off #4 Ohio State. The Buckeyes won 59-31. Mo Boilermaker magic happened this time around.

* #6 Michigan won at Penn State 21-17, and #7 Michigan State won at home over Maryland 40-21.

Those are some of many scores from this past week and weekend.

Ladies and gentlemen, I greatly apologize for not updating the College Football Playoff rankings as they were announced. Let me make amends by showing the latest standings...

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of: November 16, 2021) ---
01 - Georgia
02 - Alabama
03 - Oregon
04 - Ohio State
~
05 - Cincinnati
06 - Michigan

So even though Michigan State beat Michigan earlier this season, Michigan is in the First Two Out over Michigan State. Michigan State is ranked 7th. Again- I am sorry I didn't post this any earlier. Enjoy this weekend's games!

Man the Utes are looking good tonight against #3 Oregon. Also, I need to get one of those USS Salt Lake City jerseys.

Let's see who all are among the six best in the nation. Latest College Football Playoff rankings are as follows...

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of November 23, 2021) ---

01 - Georgia!
02 - Ohio State
03 - Alabama
04 - Cincinnati!
~
05 - Michigan
06 - Notre Dame

Cincinnati finally getting Top 4 playoffs love. Though Michigan State beat Michigan, Michigan is among the First Two Out and not Michigan State. Notre Dame is 6th. Georgia, Ohio State, and Alabama face stern opposition this week. One has to wonder how each will handle the pressure.

Let me offer some college football musings now...

* Well, Michigan... well, Jim Harbaugh... you FINALLY did it! For the first time since 2011, Michigan has knocked off Ohio State. Today's match was a spirited one. It really felt like Michigan finally woke up. Though it was 27°F with snow flurries in Ann Arbor, Michigan; Michigan was intensely hot. The Wolverines may have crushed the Buckeyes' National Championship hopes.

* My Houston Cougars will meet the Cincinnati Bearcats in the AAC Championship game next Saturday. For now, the Coogs won 45-17 at the lowly Connecticut Huskies.

* Cincinnati, meanwhile, downed the East Carolina Pirates 35-13 in North Carolina.

* In Salt Lake City, Utah yesterday, it was the No. 19 Utah Utes who took down the Colorado Buffaloes 28-13.

* No. 20 North Carolina State came from behind at home to defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels 34-30 last night.

* In-state rivals clashed in Atlanta as the No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs paid a visit to the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The Ramblin' Wreck... well, got wrecked. Georgia routed GT 45-0.

* The Roadrunners of UTSA fell hard in Denton, TX as the Mean Green of the University of North Texas cruised to a 45-23 win.

* The Bayou Classic is the rivalry game between Southern and Grambling State. It was the Tigers of Grambling State winning over the Southern Jaguars on a game-winning field goal 29-26.

It's the Playoffs in NCAA FCS right now. I have no FCS playoff action to report, but I do congratulate all FCS level teams that made it this far.

Congratulations to all winners from this week!

You know, there's a very real possibility that Utah and Michigan play in the Rose Bowl this year. If that happens I'm going to be super conflicted. On one hand, one school signs my paychecks while on the other hand, it's Michigan. Too bad if it happens I'll have no desire to go to a packed football game, otherwise I'd be making the trip to Pasadena.

When I tuned into ESPN this morning, I heard the news that Brian Kelly will leave Notre Dame to be the head coach of Louisiana State University. The 2021 season has been very un-LSU like. The LSU Tigers are usually a powerful team. Not so much this season with some disappointing losses. Brian Kelly spent the better part of 12 years at Notre Dame. Though the Fighting Irish still have some postseason hope, Brian Kelly seems promising a head coach to return LSU to their usual contender form.

The penultimate (or, a fancy word for "next-to-last") College Football Playoff rankings are coming up. Here are the latest in the Playoff 4 including the first two out...

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of November 30, 2021) ---

01 - Georgia (12-0)!
02 - Michigan (11-1)
03 - Alabama (11-1)
04 - Cincinnati (12-0)!
~
05 - Oklahoma State (11-1)
06 - Notre Dame (11-1)

The final College Football Playoff rankings will be this Sunday. By then, we will determine which four teams will play for the National Championship in the 2021 season. Michigan's championship hopes lie in if they can beat Iowa in the B1G Championship Game. Cincinnati's championship hopes lie in if they can beat Houston in the AAC Championship Game.

Enjoy this week's action!

PAC-12 Champs!

1200px-Utah_Utes_logo.svg.png

Well, we have our final College Football Playoff rankings. Four will play for a National Championship; everybody else will have to try again next season to have National Championship hopes. Let's meet the CFP teams for the 2021 season:

--- College Football Playoff: Final Rankings ---
01 - Alabama
02 - Michigan
03 - Georgia
04 - Cincinnati
~
05 - Notre Dame
06 - Ohio State

Congratulations to the Top 4; better luck next season for everybody else. So here are the Playoff 4 matches upcoming:

• Alabama vs. Cincinnati
  • Michigan vs. Georgia

Most everybody else with eligible seasons will be looking to accept all the different Bowl games outside of the CFP matches. We'll have all the award ceremonies and stuff coming up, including the Heisman Trophy deal.

And that concludes most of the regular season. And on a different note, congratulations to "Primetime" Deion Sanders turning around and making a beast out of Jackson State University. The Tigers won the SWAC championship yesterday by hammering Prairie View A&M. They finished (I believe) 11-1 on the season. Also, congratulations to all Conference Champions of the 2021 season!

I would have bet the house that Alabama would have gotten killed by Georgia. If they meet again I don't think Alabama can do it again especially losing Metchie to an knee injury.

Alabama over Michigan for the National Championship is my guess. As much as I'd love for Michigan to get the title, I don't forsee that happening.

Even though most of the regular season is done in college football, there are still matches being played in college football. I am currently watching the NCAA FCS quarterfinal match between the #7 East Tennessee State Buccaneers and the #2 North Dakota State Bison. A certain GTPlaneteer loves NDSU, so I'll be wondering if NDSU can hold onto their current 27-3 lead over ETSU with 6:18 left in the game.

We also have the Army-Navy Game along with the Heisman Trophy ceremony. Don't wait on me if you see the Heisman Trophy winner- just pop into this thread and share the news.

Your 2021 Heisman Trophy winner is...

Bryce Young (QB, Alabama)!

Congratulations to him on becoming the latest Heisman Trophy winner. And congratulations to all of this week's winners!

There was reportedly some beef about how Ohio State reportedly had a wave of the flu when they played at Michigan. Or to Ohio State, "that school up north." Michigan hammered Ohio State and went on to win the B1G Championship and be in the College Football Playoff.

Now for a lighthearted topic. When I was watching the end of when North Dakota State smashed East Tennessee State, I saw that championship banner showing the years they been National Champions. The Bison may need a bigger banner if they keep winning National Championships in football!

Can't wait for Bowl Game season!

It's the most magical time of the year- Bowl Game Season! The real action doesn't happen until New Year's Eve, but some of the early Bowl Game action begins today. If your favorite NCAA FBS teams made it to the Bowl Games, enjoy the Bowl Game action for the 2021 season!

Today, we have the Bahamas Bowl (Middle Tennessee State vs. Toledo) and the Together Cure Bowl (Northern Illinois vs. Coastal Carolina). For more matches, take a look at this schedule: https://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule?ex_cid=1383c9_E_E_E_E_ActiveFans&deliveryName=DM19742 .

[UPDATE/OMISSION Provided the wrong schedule of games. Changed. MTSU defeated Toledo.

Last edited:
No. 20 University of Houston defeated Auburn University 17-13 in the Birmingham Bowl. This "cat fight" featured the Houston Cougars and Auburn Tigers. Houston's only two losses this season were to Texas Tech and Cincinnati. They finish the 2021 season with a 12-2 record. Way to go, University of Houston! Whose house? Coogs House!

Back