• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 55 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
College football is great. It's down-home football with a great fun factor. Most of the action happens on Thursday nights and Saturdays. Even if college football matches the skill level of professional football, college football is still a joy to watch and follow. As a long-time GTPlaneteer, I am pleased to start another thread of another season of college football. Any such topics regarding college football are fair game.

The 2022 season sees the Georgia Bulldogs as the defending National Champions of NCAA FBS division football. North Dakota State are your defending NCAA FCS Division National Champions. Your NCAA Division 2 football champions are Ferris State. And in NCAA Division 3 football? It's Mary Hardin-Baylor your defending champs in that division.

Always remember that while we mostly discuss NCAA FBS level football, these college sports threads are not exclusively about the NCAA. So bring on your NAIA, NJCAA, and various other college football leagues for discussion!

Let's talk college football for 2022!

A lot of Spring Training games will happen this weekend or just about. It will especially be emotional at Ohio State for Spring Training, as they honor former Buckeyes QB, Dwayne Haskins, who was killed after getting hit by a truck earlier this week. There is still a very long ways to go until the 2022 college football season kicks off proper.

The NCAA has made a huge change in FBS conferences determining their conference championship contenders. Certain conferences can do away with divisions if they wanted to. Trying to find the competitive balance with all of the different teams can be a challenge. I will be interested to see how conferences take on this sort of thing.

Here is some video insight discussing these changes. Check it:

College football is changing. The Big Ten (or B1G) is usually Midwest and northeastern. Now if the USCal and UCLA deal are final, then that regional market will pretty much be done for. I joke what's next geographically- Washington and Hawaii joining the SEC? Florida and Boston College joining the Pac-12? Something weird to follow in college football for sure.

The idea of a "superconference" in major college football is not entirely a far-fetched or foreign concept. Even ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit thinks a superconference is a distinct possibility. The NCAA FBS level could probably come to a point where there may be this conference with the major schools, and then everybody else. Conference realignment can cause chaos, often having new schools in new places and even ending old rivalries.

You can kind of sense when the college football landscape was probably hinting towards less regional impacts when certain schools joined. Follow my lead following major conferences...

* Take the Big XII- a conference mostly consisting of central and some Midwestern schools. Last time I checked, West Virginia University is not in the American central or Midwest. A number of Big XII schools joined other conferences. There will be new schools joining the conference- my beloved University of Houston, the University of Cincinnati, the University of Central Florida, and Brigham Young University. Houston and Cincinnati makes sense region-wise.

* The Big Ten has mostly Midwestern and Central schools. Colorado used to be in the Big XII but left for the Pac-12. Nebraska left the Big XII and got joined up by the Big Ten. One would think Missouri would be a great fit region-wise for the Big Ten, but they joined the SEC. However, the B1G picked up the likes of Rutgers and Maryland. The Big Ten would get two schools not even in the regional market of the Big Ten- USCal and UCLA.

* What about that Southeastern Conference? Well, they're going to pick up Texas and Oklahoma to join the already crowded SEC. They already have Texas A&M as far as ex-Big XII schools. Hopefully that means we'll see the Lone Star Showdown rivalry return (Texas vs. Texas A&M). I am not sure if any smaller schools in the South or Southeast want to step up to the big time in the SEC. Like, I would doubt possibly schools like the University of South Alabama, Coastal Carolina University, or Appalachian State want to join the SEC in the future.

* It seems ludicrous that USCal and UCLA- two distinctive Pac-12 teams- would join the Big Ten. That leaves two huge holes to fill. I would argue the Los Angeles market is the biggest Pac-12 market. They do still, however, have the greater San Francisco/Oakland market as well as the Seattle market, which are still huge. Throw in Phoenix and Salt Lake City as well. What would be a stunner is if some prominent school in the Midwest, Northeast, or Southeast decides to join the Pac-12. Or what if some school like... the University of Hawaii/Hawai'i wants to join the Pac-12?

* So among all the "Power 5" schools, the most stable one seems to be the Atlantic Coast Conference. I'm sure that no school not near the Atlantic coastline would be an ACC school. Oh, wait... what about Notre Dame (in football)?

Do regions matter anymore? The major conferences are basically probably trying to establish themselves as NATIONAL conferences rather than trying to concentrate their markets on their individual regions. Each conference is becoming its own brand rather than purely being focused on their regional markets. As an analogy from other sports, it would be like if the Premier League welcomed Bayern Munich and Paris St. Germain to play among the Premier League teams.

Some say this is the beginning of the end for college sports, at least college football. I just think this means more chaos, and chaos often equals fun. Think what you want about all of this.

[UPDATE] Wanted better regions analogy

Last edited:
With our track record lately, there's a reasonably safe bet there's a future NFL player somewhere in this picture. :D

20220816_100303.jpg

ESPN/ABC is touting this weekend as the return of college football. So if you love some collegiate football action, then please enjoy this weekend's action this weekend!

Can you feel it? College football is BACK! There are a handful of games to be played later today and tonight. Whatever game(s) you are into, get ready for the new season of college football!

Enjoy today's games!

Most of the college football I seen this past weekend has been the match between Nebraska and Northwestern played in Dublin, Ireland. Northwestern won 31-28, I believe. I also saw a lot of the FCS match between Stephen F. Austin State and Jacksonville State. The Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin were 10th in FCS, and after I seen the Jacksonville State Gamecocks hammer the Lumberjacks, I sort of stopped watching. Jacksonville State is transitioning to NCAA FBS.

On that note, I even read about all of the conference realignment in the NCAA across multiple sports. It's wild how conference realignment works. Even my beloved University of Houston is in the realignment mix. We joined the Big XII along with BYU, Central Florida, and Cincinnati.

More college football this coming weekend, so get psyched!

Are you ready for some football? Well, of course you are. How about some COLLEGE football? Tonight, the big game on TV will be the Penn State Nittany Lions going to West Lafayette, IN to meet Dolph Drago's Purdue Boilermakers. The game will be televised nationally on FOX. ESPN will show a battle between two former Big East football foes when the West Virginia Mountaineers pay a visit to the Pittsburgh Panthers.

Plenty of games this weekend as we start the 2022 college football season. Therefore, enjoy this weekend's games!

It was announced today that the College Football Playoff will expand to 12 teams. For the longest, there was talk about expansion, but nothing materialized until today. So this now means more teams will get a chance to play for a National Championship. This will mean six conference champions from the major conferences along with six at-large teams. The CFP wants to try to roll out the 12-team format as early as 2024. However, it could be until 2026 we may actually see it play out.

Some of last night's results:
  • West Virginia at #17 Pittsburgh (38-31; Pittsburgh)
  • Central Michigan at #12 Oklahoma State (58-44; Oklahoma State)
  • VMI at #22 Wake Forest (44-10; Wake Forest)
  • Penn State at Purdue (35-31; Penn State)

The big game this week is #5 Notre Dame at #2 Ohio State on Saturday. My beloved University of Houston will be in San Antonio to meet the UTSA Roadrunners on Saturday. Plenty more games on tap for this week, so enjoy as much action as you can!

If you're looking for games tonight, there will be Louisville at UCF, followed by Boise State at New Mexico. Also this weekend:

• Alabama at Texas
  • Baylor at BYU
  • Tennessee at Pittsburgh
  • Kentucky at Florida
  • USCal at Stanford

Enjoy this weekend's games!

[UPDATE] Louisville at UCF, not UCF at Louisville. Changes made.

Last edited:
A lot of college football to muse about. Where do I start? Here's what has gone on as of the time of this post...

* Marshall University upset No. 8 Notre Dame today at Notre Dame. The Thundering Herd of Marshall defeated an AP Top 10 opponent for the first time since defeating (then) No. 6 Kansas State in 2003. Marshall downed Notre Dame 26-21 in South Bend, IN; and the Fighting Irish are now 0-2 on the 2022 season.

* The Texas Longhorns played valiantly against the No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide, but fell short. It was 20-19, Alabama was the score in Austin, TX. A late field goal by Alabama put them ahead with 10 seconds left in the game. Texas had to deal with their starting QB getting taken out due to injury, followed by their 2nd string QB getting hurt. I actually thought Texas could pull this one out. So did Texas. Unfortunately, it's Alabama doing Alabama things.

* It was a sad day in College Station, TX. The No. 6-ranked Texas A&M Aggies fell at home to the Mountaineers of Appalachian State 17-14. This is only the second-ever time Appalachian State downed an AP Top 10 school. The last time was their insane upset at (then) No. 5 Michigan in 2007.

* Texas Tech defeated No. 25 Houston in Double Overtime. They won 33-30 in a game I didn't really have the Houston Cougars winning anyways. It was a mostly wonky game played by both teams. The Red Raiders, though, found a way to win much like how UH tried to find ways to stay ahead. Unfortunately, it was the boys from Lubbock who got the last laugh in this one.

* Duke improves to 2-0 on the season winning at Northwestern 31-23. The Wildcats of Northwestern are now 1-1 while the Duke Blue Devils are 2-0.

* After one of the most inept offensive performances in college football, Iowa, who barely survived the South Dakota State Jackrabbits, ended up losing at home to the Iowa State Cyclones 10-7. The Cy-Hawk Trophy goes to Ames, IA.

* The Purdue Boilermakers had no problem with the visiting Sycamores of Indiana State, winning 56-0.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week!

[UPDATE] Michigan was No. 5 in 2007 when they faced Appalachian State, not 7th. Changes made.

Last edited:
Kentucky beats Florida to make head coach Mark Stoops the winningest in school history! With Alabama looking shaky, I know it's early but it looks like Georgia and Kentucky are the best teams in the SEC. Hopefully Kentucky takes it a game at a time but I can't help but be excited for the future. Go Big Blue!

Here is a lighthearted post before looking ahead to the next week of college football.

You all have heard of Tom Brady, right? You know- a guy who won a lot of games and a few Super Bowls? Well, I had a chance to look at some of his highlights when he was QB at the University of Michigan. It just seems sad he wasn't drafted much higher for his ability when he did enter the NFL Draft. Whether you love or loathe Tom Brady, he shows what is possible for a college star to try to be a star in the pros. Not every talented college player translates well in the pros. Not every weak sauce player equally gets weak in the pros. All I Know is, when you watch college football, you can only imagine what players will bring to the pros if/when they get drafted.

To look back on this past week, here are all of the Top 25 teams defeated by lower-ranked or unranked teams:

• Appalachian State at No. 6 Texas A&M
  • Marshall at No. 8 Notre Dame
  • Texas Tech vs. No. 25 Houston

Obviously, as a U. of Houston fan, I am most sad at UH's fail at Texas Tech. College football is insane as it is.

This week of college football begins on ESPN with the Florida State Seminoles meeting the Louisville Cardinals in Louisville. The game will be on Friday night on ESPN at 7:30 PM Eastern time.

Enjoy this weekend's games!

University of Houston lost to Kansas 48-30. After narrowly losing at Texas Tech in Double Overtime, this loss for the Cougars feels like rock bottom. The Kansas Jayhawks did a number on the Coogs in Houston today. You should see the comments on Facebook and Twitter as fans vented their frustration over Houston losing to Kansas. Houston's next game is vs. Rice at TDECU Stadium. This would REALLY be rock bottom if Houston loses to Rice next Saturday. Houston was 12-2 last season and are now 1-2.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week!

Quite a few matches are coming up today and tonight. Two matches to come today include:

• Florida at Tennessee
  • Wisconsin at Ohio State
  • UCLA at Colorado
  • Clemson at Wake Forest

After my beloved University of Houston Cougars lost at home to Kansas, it's cross-town rivalry time as Rice goes to the U. of Houston for the Bayou Bucket rivalry.

Whatever college football you're getting into today, enjoy today's games!

Three schools have themselves "Help Wanted" signs for their poor starts to the season as coaches got fired. Here are three schools who dumped their coaches:

• Nebraska (1-2)
  • Arizona State (1-2)
  • Georgia Tech (1-3)

Most of you know most sports are more of, "What have you done for me lately?" If the answer is fail, then you're likely going to get canned as coach.

Hopefully your beloved schools are doing well so far this season.

Welcome to October! As the temperatures cool down, the action gets hotter. Also begins more of conference play. Sadly, my beloved Houston Cougars fell again hosting Tulane (27-24, OT; Tulane). You know who else fell? No. 15 Washington lost at UCLA last night.

College football. Got to love it! Enjoy this weekend's action!

Welcome to another college football Saturday, GTPlanteers! Here are some of the many matches coming up today and tonight:

• Texas vs. Oklahoma (Red River Rivalry)
  • BYU at Notre Dame
  • Michigan at Indiana
  • Auburn at Georgia

Last night, my beloved Houston Cougars somehow managed to defeat the Memphis Tigers on the road. The Coogs were down about 20-7 in the 3rd Quarter, and they improved to 3-3 on the season with their surprising 33-32 victory. College football can be so wild and unpredictable.

Enjoy today's games!

Texas destroyed Oklahoma. The 2022 rendition of the Red River Shootout ended up with the Texas Longhorns smashing the Oklahoma Sooners 49-0. Oklahoma has never been shut out in a game since 1998 (311 consecutive games scoring points heading into today). Also, Oklahoma has never lost back-to-back games by 30 or more points in the AP Poll era. This was a nightmare for the Sooners... but a dream come true for Longhorns fans! All congratulations to the Texas Longhorns on a job well done.

Congratulations to all other winners this week!

Another Saturday of college football is upon us! On right now on TV:

• Iowa State at Texas (ABC)
  • Auburn at Ole Miss (ESPN)
  • Kansas at Oklahoma (ESPN2)
  • Penn State at Michigan (FOX)

There are games later today, such as Alabama at Tennessee, Oklahoma State at TCU, LSU at Florida, USCal at Utah, and more. So enjoy some college football today!

Last edited:
I hope you love college football, because we got plenty of it this Saturday! I may or may not give musings on any games that play today, but I will surely keep this discussion going for all of you college football fans.

Enjoy today's games!

By this time next week, we will have our first College Football Playoff rankings. ESPN has kind of a preview show on right now looking at the latest goings on in NCAA FBS. Just about the ESPN experts have the likes of Ohio State, Tennessee, Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, and either Alabama or TCU among the Playoff Six. Most of them have Clemson as one of the "First Two Out" teams so far.

Two games this week involves some of the top playoff contenders. It will be the Michigan State Spartans at the Michigan Wolverines in a good old in-state rivalry, and you also have "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" when the Florida Gators meet the Georgia Bulldogs in their rivalry.

Enjoy this week's games!

GTPlanet, we have our first College Football Playoff rankings to discuss! I will feature the official Top 6 of the CFP. The playoff rankings feature the four best teams followed by two on the outside looking in. The final rankings will be displayed on December 4, 2022. So between now and then, allow me to post the first CFP rankings of this season:

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of: November 1, 2022) ---
1: Tennessee (8-0)
2: Ohio State (8-0)
3: Georgia (8-0)
4: Clemson (8-0)
~
5: Michigan (8-0)
6: Alabama (7-1)

There were six undefeated teams in NCAA FBS heading into these rankings, and the lowest-ranked of them is Texas Christian University (TCU) at 7-0. So the team to beat right now is Tennessee. Can anyone rock Rocky Top? Tennessee and Georgia go at it this weekend in Athens, GA. Maybe the defending champion Georgia Bulldogs have a little more incentive to try to knock off Tennessee.

There's still a lot of season left, and a lot can change between now and then.

DOWN GOES TENNESSEE!

The Devil didn't go down to Georgia, but Tennessee did. And, well... Rocky Top got rocked. No. 3 Georgia downed No. 1 Tennessee 27-13. BIG win for the Georgia Bulldogs!

If any other interesting notes come up, I may update this post. But otherwise, congratulations to all winners from this week's games!

Let's update the College Football Playoff rankings. Here are the latest changes:

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of: November 8, 2022) ---
1: Georgia (9-0)
2: Ohio State (9-0)
3: Michigan (9-0)
4: Texas Christian (9-0)
~
5: Tennessee (8-1)
6: Oregon (8-1)

The ESPN reveal shown the top 7, rather than just the Top 6. And that No. 7 team? No. 7 in this Top 25 went to LSU (7-2). Remember- we keep updating these rankings until about December 5, 2022. A lot can change between now and then.

A few games are on tonight on the ESPN networks. There are Ball State at Toledo on ESPN and Ohio at Miami University (of Ohio) on ESPN2. MACtion satisfaction, baby!

Enjoy this week's games!

I am very sad to learn of three University of Virginia football players killed by a former UVA player. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the slain UVA players.

On a much lighter note, allow me to post the latest College Football Playoff rankings. Here is the latest Top 6:

--- College Football Playoff Rankings (as of: November 15, 2022) ---
1: Georgia (10-0)
2: Ohio State (10-0)
3: Michigan (10-0)
4: TCU (10-0)
~
5: Tennessee (9-1)
6: LSU (8-2)

I think it's time to take Texas Christian more seriously. The boys from Fort Worth may not be a flashy pick, but the Horned Frogs are at least doing something right in the tough-as-nails Big XII. We have to see if they can hold up between now and the final CFP rankings.

Enjoy this week's games!

In the aftermath of the shooting that claimed the lives of three University of Virginia football players, Virginia announced their game this week against Coastal Carolina has been cancelled. Truly terrible situation.

Back