Colorado Canyon, USA - MT's TOTY Back-to-Back

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 133 comments
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/63ED2DC777ABD76FCA257E6600062668

Colorado-Z71_large.jpg
$54,990? I think I'll pass.

$54,990? I think I'll pass.

That's about $42k USD, which really isn't that much more then a similarly equipped Chevy Colorado ZR1. Although I do believe the SR5 Hilux in Australia is also about the same price.

Worth noting the Australian/Global Colorado is still smaller than the American Colorado.

It should also be noted that direct injection diesel costs quite a bit. (though that 2.8 is a one hell of a motor)

Stuff a gasoline V6 under the hood and it'd be cheaper.

Bring back the Chevy L'uv, Mazda 1800 and Datsun 620. I'd probably get a modern version of one of those as a daily driver. Stuff a 2.0/2.5 or MPS engine in the Mazda :D

I mean, fine, these trucks are good for going down I-4 in Orlando but, for the most part, city driving in them is silly.

2015-ram-700-004-1.jpg

In addition to so many other things, Mexico gets the Ram 700 (ie, Fiat Strada) that we all wish we could have. With the right version of the 1.4 MultiAir, it'd probably go quite well in/out of town, and you can get it with a stick.

Only problem is that Fiat doesn't sell the damn thing with 4WD, just a locking diff for the front wheels. As a soft-roader, it'll get the job done, but it'd be nice to have a little more wizardry in the winter, that's for sure. Otherwise Fiat, just give us the damn Panda 4x4 already.

Only problem is that Fiat doesn't sell the damn thing with 4WD, just a locking diff for the front wheels. As a soft-roader, it'll get the job done, but it'd be nice to have a little more wizardry in the winter, that's for sure. Otherwise Fiat, just give us the damn Panda 4x4 already.

If that came in 4WD, it would be perfect. Although I wonder what the payload capacity is, if it's less than 500lbs I don't think I'd want one.

If that came in 4WD, it would be perfect. Although I wonder what the payload capacity is, if it's less than 500lbs I don't think I'd want one.

I thought the Autoblog "review" said 1400lbs, but realizing how small the bed is, it'd be awfully hard to fit 1400lbs of stuff in there to begin with.

I thought the Autoblog "review" said 1400lbs, but realizing how small the bed is, it'd be awfully hard to fit 1400lbs of stuff in there to begin with.

Jeez, my truck is rated at 1,500lbs and it's a body on frame and not based off a car platform. That thing must have some pretty robust rear suspension.

2016-chevrolet-colorado-duramax-001-1.jpg

Things are FINALLY official on the Colorado Diesel

• 181 BHP, 369 LB/FT
  • $3,730 premium over V6 optioned LT and Z71 models
  • Major NVH upgrade, offers an exhaust brake
  • 7,770 lb tow capacity
Certainly a bit pricier than I had expected, but, people are clearly clamoring for diesel options (see: Ram EcoDiesel). Disappointing we can get a stick with the diesel, but I suppose with the way things currently are, it wouldn't have made much sense anyway.

Certainly a bit pricier than I had expected

As I said a while back:

should also be noted that direct injection diesel costs quite a bit. (though that 2.8 is a one hell of a motor)

Stuff a gasoline V6 under the hood and it'd be cheaper.

Not surprised in the slightest that it's much more expensive than the V6.

Shame the HP is lower than the global version... guess that's to do with extra emissions requirements... but you still get all the torques... which is the important part.

Good, now maybe Toyota will bring the diesel Tacoma here and I can have my next truck.

Yeah, and I swear they have more legroom than the Silverado too.

Didnt read the precious pages but are they coming out with the Z64 or something?

I'm not aware of a Z64 package that GM offers. They do have the Z71, which is the off road package, and I assume we will see a ZQ8, which historically has been a street truck.

Gotta admit, I've never heard of a Z64 package, either.

I think the only package that's been on the table has been the ZR2, the off-road kit that they'd semi-sorta go after the Ford Raptor and the Ram Rebel with. But that's been so touch and go, I'm not entirely sure if they'd pull the trigger or not.

I'd be up for a more street-ready Colorado, perhaps not quite as extreme as the ZQ8, but a little softer with a decent drop in ride height. I'd really like to see them attach an Avalanche-style Midgate to the Colorado, but that may be wishful thinking.

I think the only package that's been on the table has been the ZR2, the off-road kit that they'd semi-sorta go after the Ford Raptor and the Ram Rebel with. But that's been so touch and go, I'm not entirely sure if they'd pull the trigger or not.

I'd say it's more going after the TRD PRO Tacoma than anything else. Although with the size of "small" pick-ups now-days maybe not so much.

The only thing I hope is that GM doesn't make another stupid "Extreme" package like they did with the S-10.

The Xtreme package was actually pretty good, I had a Blazer Xtreme back in the day and it wasn't a bad vehicle. For people who wanted a street truck but didn't want to mess with trying to figure out how to properly lower a vehicle it was a decent trade off. I do wish they would have made the front air dam a bit more heavy duty though considering I kept cracking mine.

The new Canyon and Colorado are handsome workhorses. I saw a new Colorado a few weeks ago. I like the new ones more than I did the older model Colorado and Canyon. It is going to be a good scrap between the Colorado/Canyon and the latest Toyota Tacoma.

Tacoma, maybe. Titan I was surprised it was even in the running considering it's not even for sale yet, and the regular sized half-ton has yet to be revealed.

Just ran the numbers using the EPA ratings and using my local fuel prices it would take 74.6 yrs to make up for the initial cost ($3730) of the baby Duramax.

70/30 hwy-city driving 15,000 per yr.
Duramax $1450 per yr fuel cost $2.38 per gallon
Tacoma $1500 per yr fuel cost $2.10 per gallon

I don't think that's the outright goal with the diesel, its more about actual capability and performance that just fuel economy. Getting a truck that's a bit smaller, but equally capable as a quarter-ton is pretty appealing to me, and I think its going to spur the proliferation of diesels in a lot of these vehicles going forward. Over at FCA, they have a hard enough time putting enough of the EcoDiesel Rams together, its a fair bet GM will have a similar problem with the Colorado/Canyon.

2017-GMC-Canyon-Denali-PLACEMENT.jpg

Something tells me GMC will sell quite a few Denalis with the diesel, too.

As much as I like the Tacoma and as much as I didn't really care for the Colorado, I can see why it won truck of the year. On paper the Colorado is a better truck if you ignore things like the Tacoma's reliability and off-road ability, mainly because it has better engine choices, subjectively a better brake setup (the 2016 Tacoma still has rear drums), and I believe a lower price tag.

Latest Posts

Back