Confused by the two Rufs performens and topspeed

s0AitS9.jpg

I was just half way through writing a post about upgrading that dinner tray to a nice, sturdy ironing board when you posted this picture.

That's how I have to use my wheel for the moment.

I was just half way through writing a post about upgrading to a nice, sturdy ironing board when you posted this picture.

That's how I have to use my wheel for the moment.
That's how I used my first wheel as well, then moved onto a folding table exactly the same as the one posted above.

Then I built a customer rig out of an old computer table, and now I'm onto my Playseat Challenge.

Since I don't have a stick-shift/clutch to worry about, I often drive with my left leg up on the left side of the table. Otherwise, when my catlike reflexes kick in to save yet another misjudged turn, I'd lift the table right off the ground - side to side... Ugh. I am so ghetto. 🤬 :banghead:

Since I don't have a stick-shift/clutch to worry about, I often drive with my left leg up on the left side of the table. Otherwise, when my catlike reflexes kick in to save yet another misjudged turn, I'd lift the table right off the ground - side to side... Ugh. I am so ghetto. 🤬 :banghead:

Well, i had a coffee table that was jacked up on two cabinet speakers. If i misjudged, the table would fly off completely :lol:

That's how I used my first wheel as well, then moved onto a folding table exactly the same as the one posted above.

Then I built a customer rig out of an old computer table, and now I'm onto my Playseat Challenge.

I went in the opposite order, tv tray first and then a modified laptop table (below).

18560_286366347629_4248066_n.jpg

If I'd have thought of ironing board back then I would have been all over it! Seems like it would work better than the tv tray.

Haha...Ya know...I've often thought about doing that, but I'm so far away I don't even know if it'll make a difference. If my wheel was 12 inches in front of my screen I would 100% absolutely turn 'em both off. Who knows, maybe I'll give it a shot.

I can't believe that TV tray you used to use....

Except for the sad fact that I'm using the same one right now! :grumpy: :mad: :banghead:

lnlq1fh.jpg
That's like my first setup. Moved to an old computer desk though and then gave away the DFGT to a friend and upgraded to a G27.

Current setup: View attachment 591482

Last edited:
I feel like that with almost every car in AC, very little difference in speed sensation between 70mph and 200mph (probably partially due to my close FOV). :indiff:

Interesting footnote to this, last night I did a quick lap around the Nords and for whatever reason decided to try bumper cam. The sense of speed from that view is way better than in cockpit view. Not sure why it's so different but doing 100+mph through the Foxhole almost made me soil myself. :nervous:

That's like my first setup. Moved to an old computer desk though and then gave away the DFGT to a friend and upgraded to a G27.

Current setup: View attachment 591482
Four PS4's?! Can they all be daisy-chained together? I know you could do 3 units together for 3 screen racing and I'm sure other games too. What about the fourth? I'd think you'd need 5 screens so you could have one in front of you and then two more on each side of you, angled inward.

Interesting footnote to this, last night I did a quick lap around the Nords and for whatever reason decided to try bumper cam. The sense of speed from that view is way better than in cockpit view. Not sure why it's so different but doing 100+mph through the Foxhole almost made me soil myself. :nervous:
When I started playing GT6 thats the only view I would use - front bumper view. It felt so much better because I didn't have to judge nose distance on corner turn in. But then I said to myself, "Why am I using this camera when I'm trying to get the most "realistic" experience? They modeled all those fancy interiors for a reason. Why even have different cars if you dont even see a piece of them? So, I switched to interior. Boy, did I struggle at first. I played my whole first year with bumper view! I'm so glad I switched.

"Why am I using this camera when I'm trying to get the most "realistic" experience? They modeled all those fancy interiors for a reason. Why even have different cars if you dont even see a piece of them? So, I switched to interior. Boy, did I struggle at first. I played my whole first year with bumper view! I'm so glad I switched.

That's the main reason I've always been a cockpit view driver, seeing the interior lets me know which car I'm driving and adds to the immersion, bumper view takes all that away and the only thing you have to let you know what you're driving is the sound. But, I'm getting ready to build a new rig which will have the monitors a bit higher and I won't be able to see much of the interior anymore so I'll probably switch to using the view that shows your bonnet in front of you so I can get the best of both worlds. The sense of speed and movement (and unobstructed vision) with bumper cam is fantastic though and I felt like I could drive better without the distracting interior graphics blocking parts of my view.

That's the main reason I've always been a cockpit view driver, seeing the interior lets me know which car I'm driving and adds to the immersion, bumper view takes all that away and the only thing you have to let you know what you're driving is the sound. But, I'm getting ready to build a new rig which will have the monitors a bit higher and I won't be able to see much of the interior anymore so I'll probably switch to using the view that shows your bonnet in front of you so I can get the best of both worlds. The sense of speed and movement (and unobstructed vision) with bumper cam is fantastic though and I felt like I could drive better without the distracting interior graphics blocking parts of my view.
I could definitely drive better. I've switched to bumper view a few times in AC and I couldn't believe how fast I was on my very first lap with that view. I'm so mad that I can't drive as well in cockpit view. So, we you build this new rig and raise the monitors I can understand you want to match the view realistically, hence, the lost of the dashboard console. Are you going to mount an Android tablet right behind your wheel for your dashboard? Don't you already have the software?

Are you going to mount an Android tablet right behind your wheel for your dashboard? Don't you already have the software?

Yep, plan to build a dash-looking area around it too so I won't need to see my dash on the screen anymore. But that's for a different thread. :sly:

ALB123 & 35mm you are both officially my hero. And yes I started out with Logitech wheel with built in sequential shifter and pedals with no clutch mounted on dinner tray. :odd:

I used a kitchen chair and had no idea what FOV was. We are talking GT3 & 4. It was not until GT6 two years ago that I got a rig, and a G27 wheel. My original wheel basically dry rotted while I was away in the military. :irked:

I really wish I could find a picture of my original setup. I am still not properly seated. But I have an eye condition that frankly I should not be seated very close to any TV. But I love cars.:eek:

Now, I just buy a Thrustmaster Ferrari T300RS.👍 And I hope one day to upgrade my rig to one long enough for my legs. :crazy:

Any way once Assetto finds it to give us on-line racing rooms with options, I would be honored to share one with you two. :bowdown:

Not leaving out the rest of you who have helped me out with questions and issues.

We all had to start somewhere. And as Brandon said, things will get better. :cheers:

Last edited:
20161021_181655[80].jpg 20161021_182038[79].jpg
Nothing fancy, but way more than I started with. Still setting up my room. Want HT system. After I finish with fixing my bathrooms. And any tips for proper viewing setup are welcome. :banghead:

View attachment 599510 View attachment 599509
Nothing fancy, but way more than I started with. Still setting up my room. Want HT system. After I finish with fixing my bathrooms. And any tips for proper viewing setup are welcome. :banghead:
That looks pretty cool! At least you have a proper seat & 7-speed shifter already...I bet a nice HT setup would sound pretty cool. I can't remember if Assetto Corsa does 7.1 or 5.1 surround. I know it definitely does at least 5.1...Sounds should be improving, for many cars, with the new version of FMOD being used.

While I crave having a stick shift for my sim driving, I wonder how much slower I would be with manual transmission cars? Something like the F40, I'm currently using the paddles/buttons on my DFGT so I'm getting very fast shifts. Now, I've never cared about my lap times...I know I'm of average skill, at best. I just really wish I could shift cars the way they're supposed to be shifted. :grumpy:

While I crave having a stick shift for my sim driving, I wonder how much slower I would be with manual transmission cars? Something like the F40, I'm currently using the paddles/buttons on my DFGT so I'm getting very fast shifts. Now, I've never cared about my lap times...I know I'm of average skill, at best. I just really wish I could shift cars the way they're supposed to be shifted. :grumpy:
When you get used to it I'm not sure there's any time difference at all. If you look at the RSR Live Timing Leaderboards you'll see that, in cars that offer manual transmission in real life, almost everyone chooses to drive the car with the manual transmission and they dominate the leaderboards as well. The Mazda MX-5 Cup/Mugello is a popular combination. If you go down the "i's" on the right side to see the detail of each person's setup, you'll see the top 8 times are all using manual shifters. Similarly, 8 of the next 10 times also use the H shifter.

It could be that manual dominates the leaderboards simply because everyone chooses it, but IMO, if using the paddles was significantly faster, many more people would choose it just for the added speed and the tops of most of the leaderboards would be filled with people using the paddles.

With the right setup and a little practice, it's not as hard as you might think. I never manually shifted in any game until AC and picked it up pretty quick. Didn't come instantaneously but I just committed to driving every H pattern car with the proper shifter and now it's like riding a bicycle:dopey::dopey:

When you get used to it I'm not sure there's any time difference at all. If you look at the RSR Live Timing Leaderboards you'll see that, in cars that offer manual transmission in real life, almost everyone chooses to drive the car with the manual transmission and they dominate the leaderboards as well. The Mazda MX-5 Cup/Mugello is a popular combination. If you go down the "i's" on the right side to see the detail of each person's setup, you'll see the top 8 times are all using manual shifters. Similarly, 8 of the next 10 times also use the H shifter.

It could be that manual dominates the leaderboards simply because everyone chooses it, but IMO, if using the paddles was significantly faster, many more people would choose it just for the added speed and the tops of most of the leaderboards would be filled with people using the paddles.

With the right setup and a little practice, it's not as hard as you might think. I never manually shifted in any game until AC and picked it up pretty quick. Didn't come instantaneously but I just committed to driving every H pattern car with the proper shifter and now it's like riding a bicycle:dopey::dopey:
I'm sure you're right. It'll be interesting to experience a digital clutch for the first time, I bet. I grew up driving manual transmission quads and driving manual transmission cars, but those are fading away slowly too.

That looks pretty cool! At least you have a proper seat & 7-speed shifter already...I bet a nice HT setup would sound pretty cool. I can't remember if Assetto Corsa does 7.1 or 5.1 surround. I know it definitely does at least 5.1...Sounds should be improving, for many cars, with the new version of FMOD being used.

I can tell you only what I have found with my driving. I would like to think I can flat drive the hell out of a standard shift.
Five, six or seven speed. However, on every simm I own I end up striping the transmission to the point where I just coast to a halt.:yuck: WTF....over?

I am new the TH8A. But the problem seem to be down shifting for corners. I end up with the rear end beating the front end around the corner. It's got to braking/foot work. And even going through the gears, it seem to take a long time for the upshift to take hold. I don't think I'm that bad a driver. But maybe I am.:lol:

Perhaps I can adjust the shifter tolerance per gear. Because I cant make crisp up shifts. So I don't drive all the car I would like to,:mad:

Four PS4's?! Can they all be daisy-chained together? I know you could do 3 units together for 3 screen racing and I'm sure other games too. What about the fourth? I'd think you'd need 5 screens so you could have one in front of you and then two more on each side of you, angled inward.

When I started playing GT6 thats the only view I would use - front bumper view. It felt so much better because I didn't have to judge nose distance on corner turn in. But then I said to myself, "Why am I using this camera when I'm trying to get the most "realistic" experience? They modeled all those fancy interiors for a reason. Why even have different cars if you dont even see a piece of them? So, I switched to interior. Boy, did I struggle at first. I played my whole first year with bumper view! I'm so glad I switched.

Gran Turismo standard cars say: Hey. I never used the internal view before I started playing simms.
I did like the idea. But the view was to me restricted. I eased myself into it. But I still use the bonnet view in order to better learn tracks. And I use the rear views to better see what's around me. I want to be familiar with all the views.
The rear view however seems dangerous to me. I seem to lose control of the car too easily. But I'm a sucker for the engine sounds generated while using the chase views.

I kind of fell in love with the wheel view. But now I like the better visibility of the cockpit without the wheel and hands.
That is starting to become my default view.

I am new the TH8A. But the problem seem to be down shifting for corners. I end up with the rear end beating the front end around the corner.
I think you need to either enable "autoblip" or look up "heel and toe" techniques. Your problem is not rev matching your downshifts, locking the rear wheels and causing the car to swap ends (particularly 3rd to 2nd downshift in many cars)

I think you need to either enable "autoblip" or look up "heel and toe" techniques. Your problem is not rev matching your downshifts, locking the rear wheels and causing the car to swap ends particularly 3rd to 2nd downshift in many cars)

Skazz that is exactly what's happening. Going from third to second every 🤬 time.
And it doesn't matter the car. I will try the autoblip. But I will learn this. Missing out on too much fun.
Thanks dude.:cheers:

One of the advantages of using the H shifter is not having to cycle through all the gears when downshifting. It's easier though and it does reduce your chances of screwing up a shift, but it's way more enjoyable to have that stick in your hand (must be a man thing :D), and actually using the clutch pedal. I've switched back and forth between the two and the speed advantage is only marginal.

I love how in AC if you choose paddle shifters on an otherwise H-shifter equipped car it simulates the amount of time it takes to shift, unlike Gran Turismo where choosing paddles suddenly give you the gearbox out of an F1 car and makes your shifting instantaneous.

But I actually found out that I can shift faster with the H shifter, not to mention you can powershift which makes quite a big difference.

One of the advantages of using the H shifter is not having to cycle through all the gears when downshifting. It's easier though and it does reduce your chances of screwing up a shift, but it's way more enjoyable to have that stick in your hand (must be a man thing :D), and actually using the clutch pedal. I've switched back and forth between the two and the speed advantage is only marginal.
Yeah...I can imagine in some situations when braking hard, going from 4th to 2nd is a big help. Even with Auto-Blip enabled, there are some 3rd to 2nd downshifts that unbalance the rear end and f:censored: me up. I can't promise that they're Kunos cars or mods. I know there is a setting in one of the .ini files that has something to do with blip revs and other related settings.

I love how in AC if you choose paddle shifters on an otherwise H-shifter equipped car it simulates the amount of time it takes to shift, unlike Gran Turismo where choosing paddles suddenly give you the gearbox out of an F1 car and makes your shifting instantaneous.

But I actually found out that I can shift faster with the H shifter, not to mention you can powershift which makes quite a big difference.
Yeah...You are correct that AC doesn't do stupidly fast shifts like GT does. I'll definitely have to work on my heel & toe - it's been a while since I've driven a manual transmission.

Skazz that is exactly what's happening. Going from third to second every 🤬 time.
And it doesn't matter the car. I will try the autoblip. But I will learn this. Missing out on too much fun.
Thanks dude.:cheers:
Try lowering the clutch max travel in the options settings to 70%. You can adjust the dead zone and max travel of all the pedals there.

Edit: On the pc not sure you can on consoles.

Try lowering the clutch max travel in the options settings to 70%. You can adjust the dead zone and max travel of all the pedals there.

Edit: On the pc not sure you can on consoles.

Thank you Fatkrakr, I am having this issue on PC. Not spending too much time on Assetto Corsa PS4 until they improve the on-line features. Is this same screen where steering and braking dead zones are adjusted? Not sure I've seen this.

Back