Contains Spoilers: The 2007 Car and Driver 10 Best List

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 40 comments
  • 2,592 views

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
Hey there kids, I finally received my January '08 issue of Car and Driver and the 10 Best list has been published. If you don't want to know, don't read any further, but even I was slightly surprised. They seemed to have pulled the list right out of my mind...









The List:

2008.bmw.3%20series.20159422-E.jpg

- The BMW 3-series: Predictable, it still is the standard by which all cars seem to be measured. This makes the run 17 years straight on the 10 Best list.

2008.cadillac.cts.20132966-E.jpg

- The Cadillac CTS: It won Car of the Year from Motor Trend, and it gains a top-spot on the Car and Driver list. No surprise, its a shockingly good car. Lets hope this is the start of something truly good!

2007.chevrolet.corvette.20091725-E.jpg

- The Chevrolet Corvette C6: This is the sixth consecutive year for the Corvette, spanning both the C5 and C6 generations. A cheap price, decent quality, and high performance keep the awards coming. Updated suspensions, steering and interiors only boosted that for 2007.

2008.chevrolet.malibu.20149433-E.jpg

- The Chevrolet Malibu: I've spoken volumes about this car, it came close to winning COTY from Motor Trend, and now its on the 10 Best list. Seriously kids, GM means business with this one.

2008.honda.accord.20151167-E.jpg

- The Honda Accord: In its 22nd win on the 10 Best list, the Accord proves that even with some major retouches, it can still be an incredibly awesome car. Simply put, it still sits as a standard in the market, and likely will for a long, long time.

2008.honda.fit.20144376-E.jpg

- The Honda Fit: This is year two for the Fit on the list, and its a well-deserved spot. Fun-to-drive, cheap on gas, and not bad-looking both inside and out make it a winner. Its a rare find these days when a car is so good at just about everything.

2008.mazda.mx-5%20miata.20150456-E.jpg

- The Mazda MX-5: What more can be said about the car that revived the roadster set back in the late 1980's? It continues to impress with affordable fun that is easy to enjoy for both sexes. And with the addition of a folding hardtop, the MX-5 is that much easier to enjoy year-round.

2008.mazda.mazdaspeed%20mazda3.20131758-E.jpg

- The Mazdaspeed 3: This car wins on PPD (performance-per-dollar). At a little over $23K, there isn't much thats going to outrun it, if anything at all. Easy on the eyes, easy on the wallet, its a well-balanced sports hatch that makes everyone happy.

2007.porsche.cayman.20106749-E.jpg

- The Porsche Boxster/Cayman: Porsche's smallest sports cars make yet another appearance based on the simple performance and quality at a somewhat "value" price. Well, by comparison to the 911 anyway... Simply put, its Porsche in it's purest form.

2008.volkswagen.gti.20151142-E.jpg

- The Volkswagen GTI: Much like the Malibu, I can't shut up about this car. Its a sports hatch for grown ups; Fun when you need it, practical anywhere else. Did I mention the price isn't too bad either?

===

Alight kids, discuss!
 
Horrendous list. The Fit, Mazdaspeed3, and the GTI are the only ones they got right in my mind.
 
I really honestly cannot think of too many cars that deserved spots that didn't get them. My guess is that the only other ones I would have considered would have been the Mustang GT, Mercedes E320 BlueTec, Mitsubishi Lancer and the Saturn Astra (wasn't available for testing). Otherwise, I find that list completely agreeable...
 
I think the Accord deserves its spot on that list as well. It's one of the few tall-friendly sedans.

Is there a separate list for SUVs and trucks, or were they included too?
 
I can't stand CTS right now. I hate the face! :yuck: And the freak-like tiny rear doors! :D

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm OK with the list. I strongly agree with the selection of the 3-Series, Corvette, and probably the Accord. Yeah, the Accord. I think Altima is better on paper, but I'm sure it drives like a bus compared to the Accord.
 
Does the list go down from 10 or down from 1?

Or is it just overall 10 best and they are all on the same scale?
 
Does the list go down from 10 or down from 1?

Or is it just overall 10 best and they are all on the same scale?
When I used to read them, they were not in any order. They might've been categorized though, I can't remember that part.
 
There was an attempt to categorize them two or three years ago, but that didn't work out too well. These are, according to Car and Driver, the 10 Best cars you can buy here in the US and Canada on a reasonable budget in no particular order. I would guess and say the 3-series would sit on top even if it were ranked...

@Omnis: SUVs and Crossovers are included in the 5 Best Trucks segment that comes presumably for the February issue.
 
I think Altima is better on paper, but I'm sure it drives like a bus compared to the Accord.

Drive them both and then make a conclusion. ;)
 
Drive them both and then make a conclusion. ;)
Perhaps.

My previous car was a 98 Accord, and my current car is an '04 Altima. That's where my opinion comes from.
 
Altima FTL. We had an '03 2.5S for two years and I never cared much for it. I honestly preferred driving my old Fox and my Jetta, hell, even the Avalanche by the time Dad had that. It just felt so cheap, and generally speaking, unrefined.
 
Recall for Altima with 2.5(mine's 2.5S) just came on the news. I was slightly amused. :lol:

Mine's been problem free. Not perfect, but much better than the first year Accord('98) I had. On the "cheapness", Nissan did fix the interior in '05. Right after I bought it, of course. Same time they came out with the $2500 rebate. I'm still so sore.....
 
Honda Fit FTW! A truly terrific little car. A bit tinny, a bit stiff, but perfect. The only way it could be better is if the engine were in the back... Oh, for the days of Group B! :lol:
 
:lol: The Malibu can than Thrift car rental for that #3 spot... that or someone was paid off. :dopey:
 
Wow. From sport-hatch fanboys to G.M. haters, this thread seems to be setting people off.

I mean, the Malibu doesn't LOOK like a G.M. car. It looks that much better. It should do wonderfully, if people can get away from Toyota's ranting and raving about themselves and take a serious look at it.

The Accord doesn't do much to distance itsself from the competition, or the previous model, but they always have been an engaging drive, much deserved.

((PIE IN THE SKY PREDICTION TIME!!! In 5 years, one of the biggest fleet sales cars will be the Toyota Camry. Hell, I see enough rental-grade Camries (Camrys?) around already...We'll be calling the Toyota a rental car soon.))

The 3-series...I dont' so much agree. yes, it's good. No, I don't think it's as good as it had been compared to the competition. It's only a matter of time, now, before it gets knocked off the top spot. How much time? Who will kill the king? I don't know. With the competition so close now, and the seven-year redesign still aways off, could an aggressive newcomer take away BMW's crown for a couple years?

CTS...Again, well-deserved, a strong chassis, a good engine (though if G.M. could reverse-enginer the smoothness of BMW's straight six...) and FINALLY a world-class interior. A++ for effort. Standard of the world? Let's see the 8-cyl models, first.

'Vette...It still beats the Viper. I still hate it. But it's that good. Like the St. Louis Cardinals.

F
 
Is there a reason that five of them are spread between two brands? And that half of them are competitors with each other? That's why I like the R&T awards better.

The cars that I think deserve to be up there? I think the Corvette, GTI, Fit and Miata are great based on value. But then again, I can't really think of anything that deserves to be up there that isn't, except maybe the Jetta. What are they judged on? The 3 series can't be up there for the same reasons as the others. Maybe a Mercedes or something should be up there?
 
They're judged on a pretty wide variety of factors, but unlike the Motor Trend COTY awards, cars that win in previous years are welcomed back to see if they can maintain the top-spots. Usually things like the ride, drive, quality, looks, performance, capability, practicality, and most of all value usually determine what makes the list and what does not.

Personally speaking, I trust Car and Driver more than any other automotive magazine simply because they truly are car guys, and on most occasions, keep it "old school" with their preferences. In the end, a more realistic stance on most cars. That, I assume, is why I found the list so agreeable.
 
Probably the worst top 10 list I've ever seen.
 
Recall for Altima with 2.5(mine's 2.5S) just came on the news. I was slightly amused. :lol:

Mine's been problem free. Not perfect, but much better than the first year Accord('98) I had. On the "cheapness", Nissan did fix the interior in '05. Right after I bought it, of course. Same time they came out with the $2500 rebate. I'm still so sore.....

When you compare the 4cyl Altima with the 4cyl Accord there is a bit of slant towards the Accord. But talk V6 vs V6 and its a whole new ball game...Altima FTW.
 
that 3 series is so ugly. Crappy list really.
 
I really enjoyed my old 2.4L '98 Altima GXE, die-hard reliable and relatively quick to boot (150hp, 155ft./lbs.) that I drove like I stole it every day, and I only had to replace a leaking valve cover gasket and have my alternator rebuilt a month before I sold it. I had it for 2 years, too. Not too bad at all, great car. But back on topic a little more, I /love/ that new Accord, it looks great and from what I hear, performs great as well. I'm surprised we don't hear more about it, compared to the new Malibu and what not.
 
((PIE IN THE SKY PREDICTION TIME!!! In 5 years, one of the biggest fleet sales cars will be the Toyota Camry. Hell, I see enough rental-grade Camries (Camrys?) around already...We'll be calling the Toyota a rental car soon.))
I don't believe it works that way. The type of rental car you are talking about, they are picked by the rental companies because the demand for the car is weak. In other words, they can buy the car cheaper.

In my opinion, Camry will become a major "rental", when it is no longer considered a good value. Around same time the Camry will no longer have good resale value.

Will it happen in five years? I'm no expert, but I have to disagree. 10 years, maybe.
When you compare the 4cyl Altima with the 4cyl Accord there is a bit of slant towards the Accord. But talk V6 vs V6 and its a whole new ball game...Altima FTW.
I still bet the Accord is far more fun to drive, but this would certainly support your case more. V6 Altima is awesome.

Edit:
Wow. From sport-hatch fanboys to G.M. haters, this thread seems to be setting people off.
Which people? :confused:
 
I still bet the Accord is far more fun to drive, but this would certainly support your case more. V6 Altima is awesome.

The V6 Accord I drove was quite nice, but it was an EX, so it wasn't necessarily the sporty option with four doors and no stick option (although, it was offered later). The Altima V6 has always been a raw powerhouse, which has its own attractive features, but I'd still prefer a previous-generation Accord EX V6 6M Coupe over the new Altima SE V6 Coupe.

...That may just be me...
 
I totally forgot that Honda doesn't offer manual on V6 sedans. I retract my support for Accord to be on the list. :D
 
I totally forgot that Honda doesn't offer manual on V6 sedans. I retract my support for Accord to be on the list. :D

The V6 Accord in saloon and coupe versions are both availble with a 6spd manual for V6 models.
 
The V6 Accord in saloon and coupe versions are both availble with a 6spd manual for V6 models.

That was only on the previous-generation model. I believe this one will likely go without for some time, or at least until they get sick of hearing people bitch about it. But even then, I'd rather have a four-pot coupe with a stick anyway...

Its a Prelude without actually being the Prelude...
 
"Porsche in its purest form", is that your opinion or did Car & Driver write that?
 
They wrote something similar to it, I adjusted it a bit. I believe their arguement was that it was close enough to the 356 that it often seems more like a "true" Porsche than the 911 at times...
 

I was basing this on the previous model. I didn't think Honda was stupid enough to ditch the 6spd.

That was only on the previous-generation model. I believe this one will likely go without for some time, or at least until they get sick of hearing people bitch about it.

So the new Accord V6 doesn't have the only thing that makes it worth while? I'll take the 2007 and below then. Bad move Honda.
 
Back