Content and quality vs release date

  • Thread starter Thread starter BradLTL
  • 53 comments
  • 3,535 views

Game score vs. Release Date?

  • Score: 70; Release: Apr-May 2010

    Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Score: 75; Release: Jun-Jul 2010

    Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Score: 80; Release: Aug-Sep 2010

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Score: 85; Release: Oct-Nov 2010

    Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Score: 90; Release: December (before Christmas) 2010

    Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Score: 95; Release: December (after Christmas) 2010

    Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Score: 99; Release: 1st Qtr 2011

    Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Score: 100; Release: 2nd Qtr 2011

    Votes: 12 15.8%

  • Total voters
    76
What about scores diminishing over time. What I mean is if the current build released 2 years ago could blow people away compared to being released 2 years from now not being anything special. If you know what I mean.
 
I did not divide into sub-genres ( although that is a possiblity ) and for defining taste without becoming overly semantic or philosofical, you know perfectly well what i mean, let's call it personal preference for arguments sake.
About it being intangible, sure it's anybody's guess why we prefer the things we do, but i just prefer to take advice concerning reviews from likeminded people.
If you mean hypocritical as not openminded to new things you're wrong.
I have an eclectic taste regarding many subjects although you're forced to limit yourself somewhat or else it becomes idiosyncratic instead of eclectic ( nothing wrong with that, just not for me ).
It's a choice, granted, but one i'm quite happy with as you have to make choices.
You can't read every book ever printed in one lifetime, to choose the books you'd like to read by randomly picking some in a library is not the way i choose to select them.

Now I think you've misunderstood me! :p

Think about this: if somebody asked you to define your taste in music, how would you respond? If you're like me, you'll say "I like good music" - I too have an eclectic taste. Of course, that doesn't tell the person anything, so you're left with having to mention bands / songs / genres etc. A genre is simply a label that allows us to refer to things more easily, and as such it is intangible - you couldn't bring me a genre on a plate, for example.

With games you'd probably talk about experiences, features, realism, tension, excitement, strategy (or lack thereof) - these all require qualifying.
Personally, I don't like trumpets in music (I much prefer the sax) - that's my taste, and yet one could, rather tritely, group music together in a genre called "trumpet music".

So, by judging a reviewer according to the things he likes or dislikes (aside from being the opposite of open-minded), you are automatically constraining your viewpoint (not a problem in and of itself) and hence only looking to reinforce your own bias (which is only natural).

"I really like this green jumper!"
"You would, you like green..."

"I didn't like the jumper much, I thought it was too green."
"yeah, but you're allergic to green..."

Basically, our "taste" is defined by things we can qualify, or put labels on (how else would we communicate it? Without this communication, there is no need to define it.) - genres, sub-genres, colours (genres of visible light?), etc. are all labels.

The apparent hypocrisy, then, was in your statement that favouring reviewers who share the same taste as you is different to favouring reviewers who like the same genre of games as you do.
 
Oh oh, big boys arguing. I'm gonna stay out of this one.
 
I don't get the poll, seems like a "what month will it release thread".
 
We're not arguing.

No we're not arguing, mainly clarifying a ( probably ) shared viewpoint in a terribly unnecessary complicated way. ;)


BTW, i get the hypocrisy statement, you're probably right there isn't much logic to it, but i never claimed i was logical in my arguments, logic never really was my strong suit.
Although in my mind it all somehow makes sense...................
 
I'm quite baffled by this thread - how exactly is "content and quality" linked to "gamescore"? Can't make heads nor tails, sorry.

But if you ask me, I'd rather have 100 cars on 20 tracks now, than 1000 cars and 80 track "variations" in 2012.

Once you have the game engine, you have 75% of the game. All the content (and challenges/races/missions) add to the remaining 25% in my book.
 
Scores mean nothing!!! Most reviewers do no even use wheels. And this poll is very irrelevant.
 
Once you have the game engine, you have 75% of the game. All the content (and challenges/races/missions) add to the remaining 25% in my book.
I'd take your book back to the shop then, because you've been seriously mis-informed.
 
Im OK with Prologue engine with more cars and tracks, really.

I want it now!!!:grumpy:
 
Im OK with Prologue engine with more cars and tracks, really.

I want it now!!!:grumpy:
Same here. If all we got was the same interface, same graphics, same physics, just with more cars and tracks, I'd be delighted with that. Anything above and beyond (for the better) is icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.
 
Same here. If all we got was the same interface, same graphics, same physics, just with more cars and tracks, I'd be delighted with that. Anything above and beyond (for the better) is icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

I'd not be cool with it. After TT demo the physics feel a huge step back and same thing for the sound.
 
No we're not arguing, mainly clarifying a ( probably ) shared viewpoint in a terribly unnecessary complicated way. ;)


BTW, i get the hypocrisy statement, you're probably right there isn't much logic to it, but i never claimed i was logical in my arguments, logic never really was my strong suit.
Although in my mind it all somehow makes sense...................

Yeah, I tend to explain things arse-about-face, so it takes ten times longer than it should - sorry everyone!

I think we share the same viewpoint - like I said, despite knowing that I'm being relatively "close-minded", I still judge reviewers based on their taste! 👍

I'd not be cool with it. After TT demo the physics feel a huge step back and same thing for the sound.

Same. GT5:P is 18 months old now, I want what they've been working on, and I think we'll have it inside of three months.
 
It's his opinion, just like Seismica's, mine etc...
People these days...

I thought you had put me in your Ignore list. I wish you had done it like you said you would. Is this thread pointless? Yes, like almost every thread in this section. Is he going to say "this is pointless" in almost every thread he sees? No, just the ones he doesn't like.

Face it, we don't need more than ten threads in this section, one for car list, another for track list, etc. The rest are just wishlists and useless threads, like polls.

What about scores diminishing over time. What I mean is if the current build released 2 years ago could blow people away compared to being released 2 years from now not being anything special. If you know what I mean.

I perfectly understand what you mean. 👍 I'm not so sure that will happen. Define blow away, also. At this point, I doubt any game could blow me away.
 
Pointless Lucas is pointless. ;)

Oh well, back to seriousness. Since this is hypothetical anyhow, I voted 1st qtr 2011. I'm assuming I'd have plenty of games to keep me entertained, as well as music and fiction writing. And maybe a job at Insomniac! :dopey: My reasoning being that the difference between 90 and 95% is probably a substantial element I'd want in GT5, such as not just a decent livery editor or race mod, but a FANTASTIC livery editor and full blown race mod down to the class of racer I'd be creating, such as a WRC or Super GT car.

The difference betwee a 99% game and perfection could be some niggly yet cool thing, such as, "Oh look, you can open the car up for Photo Mode," or "Gosh, the wipers, horn and reverse lights work on the fully 3D trees!" :lol:
 
I've been waiting so long that I'm well past the "OH GOD IT MUST COME OUT NOW" phase and have since entered a "they can have all the time they want if it means a better game, I've waited too long to be disappointed" state of mind.
 
Pointless Lucas is pointless. ;)

With every day that passes, I realize most of you guys dislike the members that aren't GT fanboys. My theory proves to be true everytime someone addresses my name here. :D
 
I don't dislike you. You speak your mind and don't follow trend, nothing wrong in that.
 
With every day that passes, I realize most of you guys dislike the members that aren't GT fanboys. My theory proves to be true everytime someone addresses my name here. :D

;) I'm a GT Fanboy and don't really dislike you, I just think you're a little bit acid when it comes to discussing GT turndowns, that's may sound like slapping someone's mom man. :D Frankly, I have a little bit of this sensation too, every time someone tells me that Prologue is a demo. :grumpy:

Hey GT5, mommy! Come back home! :dopey:
 
What it's not a demo? Easy man I'm joking.
 
;) I'm a GT Fanboy and don't really dislike you, I just think you're a little bit acid when it comes to discussing GT turndowns, that's may sound like slapping someone's mom man. :D

It's just that people don't know me. I treat GT as I treat any other game. Some people dislike me for no reason whatsoever other than "he's talking bad at GT", when I'm really not. Talking bad about GT would be saying bad things about the game, whereas pointing out mistakes is an entirely different thing. Some members don't realize that, however, and it's funny that most of those members are the same ones that do talk bad about other games, such as Forza, bringing it up whenever they can in an attempt to make GT look better than it actually is.

Frankly, I have a little bit of this sensation too, every time someone tells me that Prologue is a demo. :grumpy:

Prologue is not a demo, even if I have said it is before. But I believe it works just as one, and personally, I believe the amount of money you have to pay to get it is ridiculous. Here is something that I find funny: people complain that Forza 3 has few cars compared to what GT5 is supposed to bring us, but those same people are the ones that have been playing GT5:P since it came out, which has very few tracks, and much more less cars than Forza 3.
 
What it's not a demo? Easy man I'm joking.

:mad:, :lol: I have a poker night this saturday and I've pointed the WRS as a reason to not participate in it, but one of my mates said: "You'd prefer to play a demo hours straight than having a good game with your mates man! Go play Modern Warfare then! At least it's a full game. "

Results: I'm going to the poker night, after that I will do some laps to record my times at WRS this week. :lol:

Prologue isn't a demo indeed, just the fact that it has more cars than any recent NFS title makes it worth the money I've spent for it. ;)

Hummm, what was this thread about? :confused: Off topic again...sorry
 
Last edited:
Nothing wrong with forza, I race it every day. I am interested in GT 5 though. Why? Because it's a racing game and I like racing games. I would love GT 5 to be better than forza. Why? Not because it PS exclusive I own both consoles. The reason I would like it to be better is because if it's better than forza which I love, it's better for me. If it's PS that get the better racer then so be it. I don't care what system it's on except the fact that I don't own any headsets for my PS for comunication. That'll change if the online is good in Gt.
I guess what I'm trying to say is let everyone enjoy there relevent consoles and software and let's get on.
 
I chose 99....DLC & patches can then be used to reach 100
 
Back