Controller user woes. Please tell me I'm not alone.

Messages
2,428
England
England
Messages
Lewis_Hamilton_
Yes, yes, I know, playing racing sims with a controller is an instant fail. I have a wheel, I'm just lazy, nor do I have the space in my setup.


On to the point, this is something that I had a very big issue with in the Academy demo and it's certainly carried over to the final build of the game. For me, the steering is far too sensitive.

I have been playing various race sims, "simcade" and arcade racing games for the past 20+ years and cannot recall at any moment having a major issue with using a controller and still maintaining fine, delicate inputs. As I did in GT5, I set GT6's steering sensitivity to -2 and still I am twitching all over the place coming out of corners, drifts and powerslides, or even when making a slight adjustment to my line down a perfect straight no matter how lightly or how little I move the analog stick.

This is a major problem in my opinion as smoothness is absolutely key to being fast. The way it is now, I feel the gap between wheels and controllers is going to be much more apparent. Yes the wheel should be faster, but in every other single game I've played I've always been competitive, that's now gone out of the window for me. Not being able to smoothly control a very light slide is becoming increasingly frustrating for me, no matter how I try and deal with it.

A deadzone and linearity setting would help to fix this a lot, but the sensitivity range also needs to be able to go much lower. I used to get so many comments online about being a smooth driver especially for being on a pad, now I'm twicthing all over the place like a puppy on crack and the rear end is twerking like Miley Cirus. Is anybody else using the controller finding this an issue, or am I all alone with this problem?
 
Is it really that much worse than GT5?
 
On GT5 I turned my sensitivity up to 1-2. And on Simraceway, It captures the input in real time... lol
 
Ive noticed it as well. Ive adjusted to just being really sensitive with my fingers...

;)

Controller users will have a lot of fun with the Lancia Stratos lol
 
@v13esim Haha yes indeed. The Stratos is a quite slippy car, even with my G27 it's quite hard to control. I love it. :D
 
I used to get so many comments online about being a smooth driver especially for being on a pad, now I'm twitching all over the place like a puppy on crack and the rear end is twerking like Miley Cyrus.
I just had to say I love your similes.
 
Space and money is an issue. If I could, I would buy a wheel. I used one before and I was blown away.
 
I'm glad you have made this thread. I've played GT games since the first with a pad and my main play time will be pad also.

I noticed today while playing that I run I to allot of understeer and screeching tyres. Now in GT5 I can feather the steering quite easily and do a very good job of it, but GT6 is very different and it seems to me the sensitivity is too high, and you from lock to lock with hardly and pressure.

Now I've just hooked up the G25 and found that it has to be the the way the game translates steering from pad as there was no issue with the wheel and as it should be. The steering was delicate and I could lap without the screeching tyres and easily smash my times.

I think the game is more geared to wheels rather than pads?
 
Yes, yes, I know, playing racing sims with a controller is an instant fail. I have a wheel, I'm just lazy, nor do I have the space in my setup.


On to the point, this is something that I had a very big issue with in the Academy demo and it's certainly carried over to the final build of the game. For me, the steering is far too sensitive....

Use the Active Steering and ASM. That's what they're for. The game's designer mentioned driving aids for GT6 especially in context of controllers. The Active Steering especially creates a feeling of stability that is like a wheel.

(It both annoys and amuses me to see all the YouTube videos where the driver finishing the race proudly goes to the options screen to show all aids turned off at the same time as he is resting his hands on a $400 Logitech driving aid.)

Rick
 
I agree, add the fact that the ds3 thumb sticks are absolute garbage.
Coming back to ps3 after playing on the 360 for 2 years made me realize I'll be using a wheel with GT6.
 
I agree, add the fact that the ds3 thumb sticks are absolute garbage.
Coming back to ps3 after playing on the 360 for 2 years made me realize I'll be using a wheel with GT6.

Is this also because Sony supports a wide range of wheels?
 
I can steer accurate with Dual Shock controller no problem.
 
Ds3 here (no aids), it's surely more sensitive, but i'm already adapting, i'm really smooth on the left stick so at first it was annoying, then i started driving my brz on basically all the track for a few laps for a bit of practice and now i'm good..i'm actually faster than in gt5.
 
For the most part I agree as well. I used to have my sensitivity on 5 or 6 in GT5 but now I have to put at 1-2. Gunna take a little getting used to but not having to much problems. I would get a wheel but alas, there is no space to set it up.
 
Use the Active Steering and ASM. That's what they're for.

Oh Lawd no, I hate anything that restricts (or "helps") the car or my inputs in anyway. Driving aids feel horrible in my opinion, plus I'm a firm believer that it should be down to me to control the car, not the computer.

Just went and did some of the kart events a little while ago and thought the controls were fantastic, go figure. The kart did everything I asked and expected of it. Then hopped back into a car and the hyper sensitive steering was back to haunt me. The kart's level of steering sensitivity would be perfect if you could apply it to all cars. From cockpit view you can visibly see that the kart's wheel turns and reacts much more slowly, in a normal car you can flick the steering wheel left to right in the blink of an eye without even pushing the analog stick halfway.
 
Oh Lawd no, I hate anything that restricts (or "helps") the car or my inputs in anyway. Driving aids feel horrible in my opinion, plus I'm a firm believer that it should be down to me to control the car, not the computer.

First, it's a game. It's down to you to use its features as you like.

Second, Active Steering and ASM affect the interface between the controller and the game. Just like the sensitivity control. You set them in whatever way works best for you, unless you want to handicap yourself. You may have sensitive, wonderfully reactive (young I would guess) hands and using Active Steering would actually slow you down. Other people (like my elderly and slightly arthritic self) need different settings in order to simulate real racing.

Skid Recovery Force is a different issue altogether and does make the game easier than intended for everybody. That's why its in-game description says it is for beginners.

Third, you might try tuning the suspension.

Regards,

Rick
 
Last edited:
Has anyone found a way to map the RM menu to the controller like in GT5 - so that we can change brake balance, tc, torque split etc mid game?

And yeah, that Stratos with my DS3 is just awesome!!!
 
Personally I think the steering with the controller feels great. I have no problems, even with twitchy cars like the Stratos. Even breaking without ABS works fine now.

Has anyone found a way to map the RM menu to the controller like in GT5 - so that we can change brake balance, tc, torque split etc mid game?

And yeah, that Stratos with my DS3 is just awesome!!!

There is no way to map this menu to the controller at the moment.
 
Has anyone found a way to map the RM menu to the controller like in GT5 - so that we can change brake balance, tc, torque split etc mid game?

And yeah, that Stratos with my DS3 is just awesome!!!
Yeah, I'm missing A LOT the RM right now, I had it beautifully mapped on GT5.
I still have to figure a way to make the left stick less sensitive...
 
I think this is due to the physics changes between games. Noticed more lift off oversteer and the weight transfer is making driving with a pad much more difficult. Time to get a wheel!
 
Oh Lawd no, I hate anything that restricts (or "helps") the car or my inputs in anyway. Driving aids feel horrible in my opinion, plus I'm a firm believer that it should be down to me to control the car, not the computer.

Just went and did some of the kart events a little while ago and thought the controls were fantastic, go figure. The kart did everything I asked and expected of it. Then hopped back into a car and the hyper sensitive steering was back to haunt me. The kart's level of steering sensitivity would be perfect if you could apply it to all cars. From cockpit view you can visibly see that the kart's wheel turns and reacts much more slowly, in a normal car you can flick the steering wheel left to right in the blink of an eye without even pushing the analog stick halfway.
I agree. Not using aids is, in my opinion , the funnest way to solidify technique. Im sure you'll beast the driving component of GT6 in a week if not sooner Lewis Hamilton.
 
My tires won't stop screeching even with the slightest steering, is this normal?
 
My tires won't stop screeching even with the slightest steering, is this normal?

Look at the little box that shows tire temperature. If they're not heating up at all then I'd say it was a bug. If they are it could still be a bug, but it could be a matter of tuning, speed, downforce... anyone else having the same problem?
 
Well I've solved my issues by turning down the sensitivity to -2 in the options and what fun. Now I can feather steering again with a pad.

Just raced the Dino and oh boy what fun.
 
My tires won't stop screeching even with the slightest steering, is this normal?

I had a similar experience in the earlier races, I think it's a bit of a bug.
 
DS3, sensitivity on 7 much like I ran in GT5. Feels just as good - if anything its a bit better thanks to the improved braking.
 
It really just depends on how steady/accurate your thumb is, no joke :lol:. I drove with the DFGT since GT5P, but whenever I feel lazy I use my DS3. I'm quite used to both at default sensitivity settings with default button layout (x for gas). I've just gotten used to applying a steady amount of pressure when needed, being able to feather the steering and the throttle.
 
never had an issue being fast in even the twitchiest cars in gt5 with a ds3 and no aids. bought a btr last night and it was the same in gt6. in some ways it's an advantage to a wheel. (ability to go lock to lock in an instant)
 
Actually i think using the controller on GT6 is much more accurate than GT5 i feel i have much more control over the car and also mapping the acelerate and breake to L2 and R2 even gives me more control over the speed it is like if we where using pedals, in general for me its way better than GT5
 
Back