Controller user woes. Please tell me I'm not alone.

I don't know if this is common or not, but when I use the DS3 I rotate the stick around its circle of motion rather than just pushing it left/right along the X-axis. So when I'm driving in a straight line I'm actually pushing the left analog stick up and then if I turn left or right I swivel the stick left or right as though it was a steering wheel. In effect, it gives me a slightly longer axis of motion and I find it less jerky to control. You might think your thumb would get tired always holding the stick like that but it really doesn't...

For me, the the DS3 control feels pretty much the same as it did in GT5.
 
Steering is fine for me. GT5 was like trying to steer a barge.
 
Ive noticed it as well. Ive adjusted to just being really sensitive with my fingers...

;)

Controller users will have a lot of fun with the Lancia Stratos lol
Never a Truer Word Was Spoken :mad:, I made the idiot mistake of taking that car to finish the B championship worse decision ever!, not to mention being a recent XB360 transplant trying to get the controls down, the lancia is a nightmare

PA310076-620x.jpg


this is the controller I'm using for right now, I love the controller Real Triggers for PS3! shift on the right thumbstick ala Forza/Need for Speed Underground2.

Hate the Stratos Wow!
 
For the first couple hours I used the controller. I actually went up to 1 for sensitivity. I used no aids and even no ABS with the controller for the first time. In GT5 with controller I always had to use ABS, and I am using (pressure sensitive) buttons, not triggers, but I am using stick for steering.


Anyways I moved to my wheel and pedals after that and played all day yesterday with the wheel. I'm using from about 600 to 720 degrees depending on car. I think the feel with the pad is much much better than GT5.. I could actually play the entire game with a pad and not feel like I am missing out. Of course in my rig I have bass shakers so I get a lot more feel, along with FF in wheel.

So yeah I think you might be alone.

edit- CSR wheel and CSR Elite pedals..
 
Yes, yes, I know, playing racing sims with a controller is an instant fail. I have a wheel, I'm just lazy, nor do I have the space in my setup.


On to the point, this is something that I had a very big issue with in the Academy demo and it's certainly carried over to the final build of the game. For me, the steering is far too sensitive.

I have been playing various race sims, "simcade" and arcade racing games for the past 20+ years and cannot recall at any moment having a major issue with using a controller and still maintaining fine, delicate inputs. As I did in GT5, I set GT6's steering sensitivity to -2 and still I am twitching all over the place coming out of corners, drifts and powerslides, or even when making a slight adjustment to my line down a perfect straight no matter how lightly or how little I move the analog stick.

This is a major problem in my opinion as smoothness is absolutely key to being fast. The way it is now, I feel the gap between wheels and controllers is going to be much more apparent. Yes the wheel should be faster, but in every other single game I've played I've always been competitive, that's now gone out of the window for me. Not being able to smoothly control a very light slide is becoming increasingly frustrating for me, no matter how I try and deal with it.

A deadzone and linearity setting would help to fix this a lot, but the sensitivity range also needs to be able to go much lower. I used to get so many comments online about being a smooth driver especially for being on a pad, now I'm twicthing all over the place like a puppy on crack and the rear end is twerking like Miley Cirus. Is anybody else using the controller finding this an issue, or am I all alone with this problem?
i use controller; i ve never tried a wheel...... :(
 
Arthritis in my hands. Using a Dual shock with default settings. I'm sure it shows, but I'm still getting golds for now.
 
PA310076-620x.jpg


this is the controller I'm using for right now, I love the controller Real Triggers for PS3! shift on the right thumbstick ala Forza/Need for Speed Underground2.

YEah I have a set of those little clip-on trigger things for the DS3. They are an absolute must imho...
 
Actually i think using the controller on GT6 is much more accurate than GT5 i feel i have much more control over the car and also mapping the acelerate and breake to L2 and R2 even gives me more control over the speed it is like if we where using pedals, in general for me its way better than GT5

I've heard that recommended before & tried it without much luck. Will try again. What do you have your gear shifts mapped to?

Thanks,

Rick
 
I've heard that recommended before & tried it without much luck. Will try again. What do you have your gear shifts mapped to?

Thanks,

Rick
The gear shifts i've mapped Down>L1 and Up>R1
 
Actually i think using the controller on GT6 is much more accurate than GT5 i feel i have much more control over the car and also mapping the acelerate and breake to L2 and R2 even gives me more control over the speed it is like if we where using pedals, in general for me its way better than GT5

So what do you use to shift?
 
Never a Truer Word Was Spoken :mad:, I made the idiot mistake of taking that car to finish the B championship worse decision ever!, not to mention being a recent XB360 transplant trying to get the controls down, the lancia is a nightmare

PA310076-620x.jpg


this is the controller I'm using for right now, I love the controller Real Triggers for PS3! shift on the right thumbstick ala Forza/Need for Speed Underground2.

Hate the Stratos Wow!

What controller is this? Those triggers look much better than stock DS3 triggers.
 
I'm driving with a pad with all aids off except ABS, and I don't have any major issues
I use the twin sticks method

It feels no worse than GT5, and better infact due to the improved physics and tyre model. No driving on ice feeling
Just tweak the controller sensitivity setting

I also have a wheel, which is much harder to drift than a control pad :)
There are aslo inbuilt aids, you can't turn off that help pad users.
 
I have my controller on 7, any lower and it feels like the car is lagging. Throttle and brake is on the x and square as i like to shift with the triggers.
 
The gear shifts i've mapped Down>L1 and Up>R1

So you use your index finger for the gears and your second finger for gas/brakes?

Thanx again,

Rick
 
What controller is this? Those triggers look much better than stock DS3 triggers.
They Are, its the Fusion Tournament Controller for PS3 Black, Be warned if you hate the Xbox 360 stick layout you'll hate this one I'm transitioning for XB360 so workouts pretty well for me feels like I'm right home for now it also only comes in wired no wireless vers, its made by Power A its has the best triggers on the PS3 by far that I've seen....

000096_x.jpg
front pic
 
I'm a DS3 player too. The main reason I don't have a wheel is that it's too expensive. If I had the money, space, etc. I'll definitely get one. IMHO, I drive extremely smoothly with the analog stick. It looks like I'm on a wheel during replays lol.
 
I use Kontrol Freaks on my sticks. Primarily to give added control in First Person Shooters, I find them excellent for Gran Turismo as well.
 
I had the sensitivity turned up to 7 in gt5. Never had a problem with it. From these posts it seems as though gt6 has the same sensitivity thing so i'll probably turn it to the highest as well. I guess it depends on how steady your thumbs are.
 
Also: I use sensitivity on 7. I feel like it gives more control over 0. I might play around with the sensitivity later.

Off topic: my gawd! Auto-correct is annoying
 
So you use your index finger for the gears and your second finger for gas/brakes?

Thanx again,

Rick

Yes thats how i play.
 
I have mine on 7 and its still not sensitive enough. OP is on -2 and its too sensitive for him. Thats pretty amazing.
 
anybody used the right stick for accelerate and braking ? i found using that method really useful on feathering the throttle and the brakes on ABS off. Hope its not a PITA in GT6.
 
I'm using a controller until it's not fun I have a wheel too but I have to set everything up in the office and it's a pain plus it's nostalgic playing with the controller anyway I'm actually enjoying the sensitivity. More than ever I can feel what each upgrade does to the car and how mid engines and rear/front wheel drive does. I'm sure it was always noticeable for others maybe I'm just getting the game better after playing so many iterations idk
 
I'm using a controller until it's not fun I have a wheel too but I have to set everything up in the office and it's a pain plus it's nostalgic playing with the controller anyway I'm actually enjoying the sensitivity. More than ever I can feel what each upgrade does to the car and how mid engines and rear/front wheel drive does. I'm sure it was always noticeable for others maybe I'm just getting the game better after playing so many iterations idk

Sounds like you need a wheel stand to take the pain out of setup, glad you having fun.
 
anybody used the right stick for accelerate and braking ? i found using that method really useful on feathering the throttle and the brakes on ABS off. Hope its not a PITA in GT6.
That's what I've always done, and though I've been experimenting with other setups in this thread it still works best for me. Better with all driving aids off than GT5. But I haven't given the other setups (using triggers for gas & brake) enough to give them a fair try yet. Right stick experience = 2+ hours. My trigger experience = 2+ years.
 
I think the game is more geared to wheels rather than pads?


This became apparent with the release of GT5.

As I recall, the sensitivity adjustment was added to help counter that effect.

So far my impression is the same as the OP, in that the DS3 steering is more sensitive than GT5.

With the change in physics, I'm still trying to adjust to it.

I did find the stock anniversary Lotus Europa extremely difficult, if not impossible to drive.

I finally added the adj. rear diff and raised all the settings to induce some stability.

Don't use any assists, except ABS1 and sometimes TC depending on the car.
 
My sensitivity is up to 7. I think its a lot better than GT5, controlling cars is so much easier
 
They Are, its the Fusion Tournament Controller for PS3 Black, Be warned if you hate the Xbox 360 stick layout you'll hate this one I'm transitioning for XB360 so workouts pretty well for me feels like I'm right home for now it also only comes in wired no wireless vers, its made by Power A its has the best triggers on the PS3 by far that I've seen....

000096_x.jpg
front pic



I prefer the XB360 style by far, over the DS3.
Does that controller come in wireless?


On the steering sensitivity front, I'm finding I have to adjust the sensitivity to some cars, or incur a somewhat lengthy learning curve to adapt.
 
After spending more time with GT5 and DS3 I've found the sensitivity to be ok now I have it at -2. No more screeching tyres as I corner.

SuperCobraJet
I did find the stock anniversary Lotus Europa extremely difficult, if not impossible to drive.

I loved the Europa, It was huge fun. The Dino is also a dream to drive on the edge.
 
Back