CORE | 2016 Nurburgring 24 Hours VLNOpen 

• Thread starter ItzRacing
  • 253 comments
image-jpeg.488655

All drivers who competed in the Pre-VLN race, please submit your incident reports from the Pre-VLN. We will be going through the proper processes with incident reports and stewarding for this event as per usual, so that everyone is able to get an understanding of what will happen during the VLN. Link to the incident reports is below.

http://www.coreonlineracing.com/#!incident-reports/c1vs3

Thanks to everyone who took part in the race today, while the rain proved very difficult for most of us, we were able to get through the race with out any major issues. I look forward to seeing everyone on track during the VLN.

@ItzRacing how did the race go? Sorry I couldn't make it

The race went rather well I think, seems the skill level of the participants was fairly equal to each other, really enjoyed it right up to my rendering issues and subsequent system crash, was hoping to save the replay, the first 5 laps were the most fun ove had racing in quite a while,

@ItzRacing how did the race go? Sorry I couldn't make it

It all went well, with exception of a reset for Cobras DC in qualifying, everything went to plan.

I had great fun, haven't raced on GT in a while, and its typical that it would be a completely wet race - every lap I was hoping I would see that 100% start to creep down....

I definitely wasn't expecting rain to come in so quick, but it was an enjoyable and challenging race considering it was wet.

To be honest my wet weather experience is as limited as I can possibly make it and I'll only race in the wet when I have to lol. So the Nurburgring in the wet was a relatively new experience for me as my single VLN race in 2015 was dry and I only got to do laps in the dry during the 2015 N24. I was definitely surprised at crossing the line in 2nd but I stuck to the plan of staying consistent and minimising my mistakes as much as possible and it somewhat paid off!

I definitely learned that my dry weather tune doesn't work at all in the rain. Some of the most difficult laps I've ever drove at the Nurburgring, but at least I found this out before an actual VLN race. :lol: Apart from that everyone drove cleanly and respectfully which was great to see. I hope to see you all on track soon for the VLN"s. 👍

So, I'm interested in joining the VLN series. Any open spots on teams running the Z4 or SLS?

Even for just the series races? I was hoping just to do those and not the 24 hour.

The VLN is for teams and drivers competing in the N24. It serves as qualifying for drivers to be eligible to race and also qualifying for the teams grid positions. With this in mind we would be hesitant in allowing you to do the VLN and I'm sure the teams would be hesitant in allowing someone to race who isn't intending to compete in the N24 as it will cost another team member valuable track time in the build up to the race. However we do suggest that you either try to find a team to join and race the N24 as well, or form your own local team to compete in the N24. There's plenty of time and I'm sure there would be some drivers around you who would be keen to team up and race with you

In the lead up to the CORE VLN's and N24, we will be sitting down with the drivers of the first Pre-VLN podium and asking them a range of pressing questions from how they rate their performance in the Pre-VLN to how they see it affecting their build up to the daunting challenge that awaits them in a matter of months, the Nurburgring 24 Hours. In the first installment of these Q&A's, we are sitting down with Reaper Online Racing's @rono_thomas to reflect on the race that was, and how he hopes to perform down the line.

Interviewer: "You finished 3rd in the Pre-VLN race, behind ItzRacing who was in 2nd, and rcb929, who both were in BMW Z4 GT3's (completing a podium sweep for the legendary German marque), with your gap to the leader being 4 minutes and 48 seconds, what does that result mean to you, and how will it affect how you approach future VLN's, if it all?"

rono_thomas: "After qualifying second finishing 3rd was a little disappointing. The pre-VLN was my first race back after a self imposed break of about 3 months so my preparation for the race was not what I would call lacking, but, I had definitely rolled the dice and hoped for a dry race - and that I would consider to be the problem. After taking an early lead in the first few laps, I found myself nursing the car back to the pits with full front suspension and engine damage. So as the rain started to fall I was right at the back of the field pitted immediately thinking that I might gain something from going to inters early - which I did for a while, until I put the full wets on and discovered that my setup would not work for me at all. It was damage limitation from there to the chequered flag. So what does this result mean to me? - Don't predict the weather, prepare for it all!"

Interviewer: "The Nurburgring is world renowned for being absolutely brutal. The combined challenge of dealing with unique corners, undulations and a narrow track with steel barriers lined around the circuit is definitely not one for the faint hearted, so with that in mind, is there a part of the track that you just back off the smallest of bits, as you feel it's incredibly easy to make a mistake there?"

rono_thomas: "Not really no - I find that if I think to drive conservatively mistakes are more likely to happen - concentration slips - if your always on that edge I find it keeps you sharp".

Interviewer: "Now, a complete reverse of the previous question, despite the track being one that many fear, many relish the challenge of driving it, and each person has a specific part of the track they enjoy pushing the limit on, what is your favourite part of the track?"

rono_thomas: "My favourite part of the ring is the section that stretches from the Karussel to the back straight its technical, and I like the way the corners feed off each other. You know your on for a good lap when this part goes to plan".

Interviewer: "With the VLN's just weeks away, what are your aspirations for them, and just a bit further down the track, what is your target for the N24?"

rono_thomas: "This all depends on Real Life being able to be organised, but from a team perspective 2015 for ROR was a year of 2nd places both for the N24 and GTPES - 2016 is going to see that to change ‪#‎FearTheReapers‬".

Interviewer: "Thank you for your time, I and everyone in CORE appreciate you sitting down and taking the time to answer the questions. We all look forward to seeing how you and your team perform in the upcoming VLN's. Best of luck".

In the lead up to the CORE VLN's and N24, we will be sitting down with the drivers of the first Pre-VLN podium and asking them a range of pressing questions from how they rate their performance in the Pre-VLN to how they see it affecting their build up to the daunting challenge that awaits them in a matter of months, the Nurburgring 24 Hours. In the second installment of these Q&A's, we are sitting down with Green Hell Heathen's @ItzRacing to reflect on the race that was, and how he hopes to perform down the line.

Interviewer: "You finished 2nd in the Pre-VLN race, behind rcb929, who was also in the BMW Z4 GT3, by 2 minutes and 53 seconds, what does that result mean to you, and how will it affect how you approach future VLN's, if it all?"

ItzRacing: "For me, the result is defintely a positive one, I have started the journey on a positive note with a solid podium placing and also came away with some solid running time in wet weather conditions. As for my approach, the result proved that my approach will yield solid race results if it is executed properly. My focus was on minimizing my own mistakes and also avoiding lengthy battles with other drivers that could result in a costly incidents. By running my own race I was able to get into my own rhythm and through pitstop cycles I was come out in a good position in the end".

Interviewer: "The Nurburgring is world renowned for being absolutely brutal. The combined challenge of dealing with unique corners, undulations and a narrow track with steel barriers lined around the circuit is definitely not one for the faint hearted, so with that in mind, is there a part of the track that you just back off the smallest of bits, as you feel it's incredibly easy to make a mistake there?"

ItzRacing: "I would say that Flugplatz is the one corner that is very easy to make a mistake on. On a good day you can easily take the corner flat out, but if you don't get it right it will spit you out the other side in a very bad way. During the racing conditions I usually find myself having a very minor safety lift, so I know for sure that i'll come out on the other side in one piece. The other place is the triple apex miss-hit-miss, it was a corner that I crashed on in my final stint during last years N24, that set off a chain of events that nearly cost Team GHH the win".

Interviewer: "Now, a complete reverse of the previous question, despite the track being one that many fear, many relish the challenge of driving it, and each person has a specific part of the track they enjoy pushing the limit on, what is your favourite part of the track?"

ItzRacing: "Basically from the first Karussel to the finish line is a really enjoyable section that I love to push the limit on. To begin with the track snakes left and right with plenty of rewarding corners if you take them on the limit. Then from Pflanzgarten to Schwalbenschanz is a flat out roller coaster ride that you ride on the limit. Then the final few corners after the Dottinger are a thrill if you get them right!"

Interviewer: "With the VLN's just weeks away, what are your aspirations for them, and just a bit further down the track, what is your target for the N24?"

ItzRacing: "For the VLN's the plan will be to run as many laps as possible and get myself familiar with whichever car we decide to race in the Nurburgring 24 Hour. The track being a very long one, it is a circuit that you can always find improvements on and running laps is the only way you can continue to learn and improve. Obviously I would like to finish as far up the order as I possibly can, but I also understand that even the VLN races are still a team game and a solid, clean race will go a long way to helping Team GHH up the starting order. For the N24, Team GHH will enter the race as defending champions, so there is some pressure to repeat our performance. The aim will be to do that, but we know that every team in the field has a lot of great drivers that will be hard to beat, and only by putting in clean, fast and trouble free laps, will we be able to put ourselves in a position to contend for the race win".

Interviewer: "Thank you for your time, I and everyone in CORE appreciate you sitting down and taking the time to answer the questions. We all look forward to seeing how you and your team perform in the upcoming VLN's. Best of luck".

ItzRacing: "Thank you very much".

In the lead up to the CORE VLN's and N24, we will be sitting down with the drivers of the first Pre-VLN podium and asking them a range of pressing questions from how they rate their performance in the Pre-VLN to how they see it affecting their build up to the daunting challenge that awaits them in a matter of months, the Nurburgring 24 Hours. In the final installment of these Q&A's, we are sitting down with Inferno Racing's @rcb929 to reflect on the race that was, and how he hopes to perform down the line.

Interviewer: "You finished 1st in the Pre-VLN race, ahead of ItzRacing, who was also in the BMW Z4 GT3, by 2 minutes and 53 seconds, what does that result mean to you, and how will it affect how you approach future VLN's, if it all?"

rcb929: "I think it was a good race for us. Obviously it always nice to win but in this sense not as important. What was important was how good we are compared to our competition, and even though the result was ideal, there is still a lot work and improvements we need to do. Our approach to the VLN's will be to take it race by race and see where we stack as a team and make the needed changes to keep improving on our results".

rcb929: "Yes and no. There are few spots on the track that I feel are more challenging than others, but that will never change my approach to every corner I do and every lap I complete. I am always trying to find my limit and backing off, although sometimes necessary, is not an option for me".

rcb929: "My favorite section the track would have to be the run down from Carousel to Dottinger. It's just such a fantastic section of corners and elevation changes. Definitely, a very enjoyable section of tarmac!"

rcb929: "I don't think results from VLN are that important. I think it's important the knowledge you are able to obtain during the races to use during the N24. And l think last year proved, your starting spot isn't very important, as you have 24 hours to make up time and positions. Our target for the N24 is to win. That's simply the mind of a racing driver. Now, a win may not be impossible, but for INF it's not going to even be close to being easy. It will take maximum effort from everyone and then some".

rcb929: "Well thank you to CORE for all of their fantastic work and thank you for the interview.
I wish everybody the best of luck during these next few months for the VLN's!"

I have a question. Is the safety car driver changed? Is someone who wants to start can use another person's account?

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year

VLN Round 1.jpg

E8DbzZ.jpg

@FutureF1 @Glenalz81 @memto89 @LordZ1978 as team managers can you please ensure all drivers competing from each team read this before the weekend.

Timetable

(All times are GMT)

Friday, January 9
8:00 PM - Room Opens
8:30 PM - All cars to pit lane for Spec Checking
8:35 PM - Qualifying (20 Minutes)
9:00 PM - Race Starts (2 Hours)
11:00 PM - Race Finishes

Saturday, January 10
8:00 PM - Room Opens
8:30 PM - All cars to pit lane for Spec Checking
8:35 PM - Race Starts (2 Hours)
10:35 PM - Race Finishes

VLN Round 1 - Race 1 - Nurburgring 24 Hour Circuit
Friday, January 8- 8PM GMT
Driver / Team / Car
1. ItzRacing / GHH / TBC

VLN Round 1 - Race 2 - Nurburgring 24 Hour Circuit
Saturday January 9 - 8PM GMT
Driver / Team / Car
1. TDZ-4-12-14-88 / GHH / TBC

Driver / Team / Car
1. ItzRacing / GHH / TBC
2. Cobra75 /CCR / Audi

Driver / Team / Car
2. Cobra75 / CCR / Audi

I forgot the races are on Fridays not Saturdays! Hopefully I will be able to make both however it will be dependent on kids. @ItzRacing what's the rule for distance completed to qualify for points?

Driver / Team / Car
1. ItzRacing / GHH / TBC
2. Cobra75 /CCR / Audi
3. jonnyb1990 / CCR2 / Audi

Driver / Team / Car
2. Cobra75 / CCR / Audi

Driver / Team / Car
1. ItzRacing / GHH / TBC
2. Cobra75 /CCR / Audi
4. Romisagon / REST / GTR

Driver / Team / Car
2. Cobra75 / CCR / Audi

Driver / Team / Car
1. ItzRacing / GHH / Mercedes
2. Cobra75 /CCR / Audi
4. Romisagon / REST / GTR

Driver / Team / Car
1. TDZ-4-12-14-88 / GHH / Mercedes
2. Cobra75 / CCR / Audi

On behalf of Team GHH (HP is on tour and handed the reins over to me while he is away), I announce that we will be using the Mercedes SLS AMG for the VLN and N24.

Good to be back on track with you guys again yesterday. Just a shame I didn't make the start, looked like everyone was pretty close at the front!

Good to have you back in the mix, it's a shame you had to be away at the start as I'm sure it would've made for a cracking race if you were there at the start!

I was quite happy with my pace in the race, still have some improvements to make and need to be more consistent but I feel like I've come a long way from the end of last years race! I had the weirdest incident on lap 1 though, @Romigo was a good 300m up the road and he suddenly lagged and popped up right in front of me causing damage before disappearing back up the road again, I'd never seen anything like it before! I hope he didn't get damaged as well.

^^ haha I seen that on the splits...Romi was 3sec behind, then Itz was in 2nd 7 sec behind, then Romi was back to 3 secs..?? wtf lol

Then on the 2nd lap I saw all the skidmarks and thought ok something weird happened..lol

Back